Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » NO PARKING POLICE ORDER TOW AWAY ZONE signs « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bagman
Username: Bagman

Post Number: 46
Posted From: 68.252.4.191
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone noticed all the new signs going up downtown. They changed all the signs in front of the Penobscot Building on Griswold. These are metal signs hanging from poles. The took down the loading zone signs and replaced them with NO PARKING POLICE ORDER TOW AWAY ZONE signs. I spoke with one of the parking Nazis today and he was PISSEd that they changed the signage, he did not know why they did it but he has already started getting complaints. POLICE ORDER? I guess tomorrow I will call the Chiefs' office and find out what her order was and why?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 807
Posted From: 69.129.94.240
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a lot of things get taken for granted in Detroit, things that cost the city $$$

I wouldn't be surprised if more tickets are written and better attempts made at collection

another example was the library not charging out of network non-residents for use - almost every other library around here does - Detroit's, with the big ole Burton Collection among its bookworm treasures, is now charging $100/year while Ann Arbor's rate is $150.

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 419
Posted From: 67.149.110.53
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably more due to a security threat.. This is becoming more common place near big buildings in major cities.

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2143
Posted From: 71.144.84.131
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup, a couple of additional points:

1. A number of major cities (and even some local suburbs) parking meters run until 9pm and are only free on Sunday and Holidays.

2. A number of suburbs make library cards available to non-residents that work and/or go to school in their cities.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 187
Posted From: 69.47.103.87
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 2:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'd rather have more nice, new signs that can be easily read, instead of old, faded out, broken or completely missing ones that you don't know what it says but you still get a ticket anyway. (like i did...twice.)

Bagman

Post Number: 47
Posted From: 68.252.4.191
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 3:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Val- carry a camera in the car. I look for those spots where signs are missing or not readable...FREE PARKING.. I then take a picture with my stuffed cow I carry in the car. The photo clearly shows that the sign was missing or faded..If I happen to get a ticket I fight it .I request a hearing and show my photo...Most of the time I can even do it by mail and save everybody a hassle. Have yet to pay on one of those.....

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 611
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 3:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yesterday morning I saw city trucks sawing all of the signage off the median on Woodward. I thought for a moment they were relaxing the no parking/no standing on Woodward. I thought it was too good to be true!!!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 5345
Posted From: 69.83.172.220
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never know, this could be our Homeland Security dollars at work.

I know if I ever get a parking ticket again, I'm hiring Itsjeff's photoshop service for the defense evidence creation.

Think the stuffed cow yields credibility...or do they just think you're simply too crazy to deal with?!

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3375
Posted From: 67.103.104.93
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are two pretty massive events coming to downtown called the Superbowl and Motown Winter Blast that will close many streets for security (Superbowl complying with Homeland Security) and pedestrian access purposes (Winterblast).

In order to maintain adequate emergency vehicle access to and from these sites during the events, some curbside parking will be temporarily suspended on key travel routes. There will also be massive set up and tear down logisitics issues that will create congestion and impact emergency vehicle travel as well, hence the temporary orders starting before the events and last until a week or so afterwards.

Please remove the panties from your asses.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 5347
Posted From: 69.83.143.35
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Please remove the panties from your asses.

So where, praytell, do you propose I keep my panty collection?!

(thank goodness most of 'em are thongs)

Bagman

Post Number: 48
Posted From: 71.144.117.124
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So how are we supposed to do business while these people have thier fun?

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3382
Posted From: 67.103.104.93
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps the extra 250,000 people walking by, near or around you building during these events might have some disposable income and may be lured into impulse buys given appropriate marketing of useful and attractive items.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 591
Posted From: 68.76.202.10
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Removing snarky signs and unnecessary bullshit from your windows and actually working to make your display areas appealing to your target market would help, too.

-One of your (otherwise always satisfied) customers

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6431
Posted From: 198.208.251.24
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

2. A number of suburbs make library cards available to non-residents that work and/or go to school in their cities.

And of those how many have facilities that are even remotely comparable to Detroit and AA? Great, if I work in Clinton Township does that mean I can go peruse their fine selection of magazines and 10 year old books.

Jt1

Post Number: 6432
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So how are we supposed to do business while these people have thier fun?

Extend hours so residents that work in the burbs can support your store.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 592
Posted From: 68.76.202.10
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Jimmy John's can't figure that out ("make it work") neither will this one.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 711
Posted From: 63.41.8.118
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About the lyeberry cards: if you're a trusted (and I know that is pushing it for most of you) user at your local library, you can apply for a MichiCard which will allow you to check out books at the participating 301 member libraries.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2144
Posted From: 70.233.3.21
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1, that may hold true for the DPL's Main Branch, however, it would not at all be the case with many of the city's neighborhood branches. Try stacking those up against the Bloomfield Township, Birmingham, Dearborn, Southfield, or Troy libraries.

Again, the point was that a number of suburbs make library cards available to non-residents that work and/or go to school in their cities, and Detroit could very well do the same, if the goal here was consistency throughout the region.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 808
Posted From: 69.129.94.240
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

consistency throughout the region is not the point - the point is people around here take a lot of the good things for granted, don't bother supporting them financially, then bitch up a storm when they're lost

I have no issue whatsoever paying for a DPL card and was very surprised to learn they hadn't been charging right along

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2146
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Likewise Lilpup, some political leaders and citizens want "outsiders" to stay out (claiming "they are trying to take over") yet want their money (w/o a voice as to how it is spent) to help fund various cultural ammenities/civic projects/etc. Bottom line, you can't have it both ways.

Jt1

Post Number: 6434
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

and Detroit could very well do the same, if the goal here was consistency throughout the region.

You point out a few suburbs that do this then claim Detroit should follow suit for consistency? DPL and AA as a whole have much, much, much more to offer in their library systems. Why should access be opened up to all.

I guess this is another case of regionalization is good as long as Detroit eats the costs of their larger system. I pay taxes to support DPL, you do not. If you pay taxes to support your library then have at it. Until the entire regions library systems are supported by a regional tax Detroit should try to offset some of its costs byt charging customers due to the fact that the product is far superior.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2147
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1, who told you that I don't pay taxes to support the DPL? I am a Detroit resident. Furthermore, who said anything about "access being open to all"? I said access for those that work and/or go to school in the city.

I guess this is another case of some Detroiters claiming to be a lot more open than they really are.

Jt1

Post Number: 6437
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I am a Detroit resident.

Rather surpsrising. My bad.

quote:

I guess this is another case of some Detroiters claiming to be a lot more open than they really are.

Not really. I just find it humorous how people are outraged that the city charges for services that nearly every other city charges for. I beleieve that there were caveats(sp?) and discounts for people that work in the city or are affiliated with schools.

In addition, the charge was if you needed assistance to look up materials. Anyone can still go into the DPL and spend their time there, read, look stuff up.

The city has some great resources and no money. Logically you use those resources to your advantage in these difficult times.

I find it infuriating that everyone expects everything in Detroit to be free but accept the fact that there are charges/requirements in other cities.

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3407
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, have I read some dumb-ass responses on this thread!! Meguesses those same folk tell SBC, DTE, Borders, etc. and any other place they GIVE money too; how to SPEND it!! So much for "unheard VOICES!" Go figure .... as the DPL is being persuaded to raise its rates and silly MOFos that decided to NOT to use a parking lot get ticketed. Yayyyyyy.

Black-atcha ..... roflmbao

Pikturewerk
Username: Pikturewerk

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 65.29.117.8
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is with these signs anyway? Today I parked my car on Shelby just south of Congress at about 4:15pm. When I got out of my car and looked at the meter it indicated that enforcement times ended at 4:00pm. There is also no other exemptions like during rush hour the way it is on Congress. When I returned at about 5:00pm there was a ticket indicating I parked in a prohibited area. About 20 feet away and six and a half feet off of the ground there is a new sign saying "No parking police order". The meters were not covered up with red or yellow covers, and or they did not remove the meters. I took some photos of my car in the background of the meter in question with the Congress and Shelby street sign. I also took one closer of the meter with the times of enforcement clearly visable. Should I contest the ticket?

Jenay
Username: Jenay

Post Number: 118
Posted From: 68.41.224.19
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got a ticket on Griswald by the Guardian Building just before Christmas. The meter said you had to pay until 4pm. I had change in my hand ready to put in the meter, and I put it back in my pocket. I'm so pissed! Still trying to fight this one.

Paulj
Username: Paulj

Post Number: 332
Posted From: 71.148.42.142
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you guys......

its for the event. I'm sure life will go back to normal after the steelers win the superbowl.

I drive and park downtown 4+ times per day, every day, for work and we're all feeling the pain of less street parking. I bought a hand cart and am doing just fine.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 195
Posted From: 69.47.103.87
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and i got my third parking ticket just tonight :-(

i parked on congress in front of the buhl building, after seeing said sign and knowing full well after reading this thread what was going on. however, as pikturework mentioned, none of the meters were covered. (like they were saturday night when i drove down congress...maybe just for the auto show?) the signs don't really give a clear indication as to where the no parking area is, but it was in front of the entrance, so that made sense to me. and i figured since the meters weren't covered, parking at the meters was ok at that time. there were other cars parked in spots around me. i even plunked a buck in the meter!

jenay...have you had any luck fighting it? i am debating if i should bother, or if it would be easier to get the $10 discount by paying early...

Jenay
Username: Jenay

Post Number: 119
Posted From: 68.41.224.19
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've written a letter. I'll let you know.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.