Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Think summer.... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3362
Posted From: 67.103.104.93
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and plan your vacations
http://www.abrahydroplanes.com /index.cfm?page=2006-Schedule

Photos of the modifications to Miss Elam....
http://www.abrahydroplanes.com /index.cfm?page=Miss-Elam-Prep s-for-2006

Remember her flip in front of the DAC that took out the Fisher Building antenna, a Kilpatrick campaign billboard and eventually destroyed the Studebaker plant? She needs a few repairs. Note they have a backup hull in new livery ready to go....

Dday
Username: Dday

Post Number: 799
Posted From: 72.49.177.60
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Skulker

I see that the Madison Regatta and US Grand Prix at Indy are on the same day.......care to catch some time trials before the race??

Distance from my house to Madison - 45 mins
Distance from my house to Indy - 1.5 hours

Just a thought :-)

Skulker

Post Number: 3377
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alors!

I have purchased my tix for US GP already....

Any idea on how far it is to Madison from Indy?

Perhaps a banzai run on Saturday to Madison and back is in order......

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2176
Posted From: 66.167.58.137
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, I should have known this was speed freak stuff. I thought you would be talking about the summer weather we had yesterday.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6430
Posted From: 198.208.251.24
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Skulker - If you are going to Madison from Detroit there is a ferry that runs across Lake Michigan to Wisconsin. Might be able to cut down on your driving.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1316
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And taking that ferry, you can actually play Arcadia Bluffs and Kohler.

Talk about an awesome couple days of golf.

But you'd rather watch some boats go fast, I guess.

Skulker

Post Number: 3378
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1:
Uhhh different Madison....

Dabirch:
See, this is why no one likes lawyers, you guys play too much golf.....

Gratuitous boat photo from one of the best contested heats in recent years. This is on the white flag lap.....

three

Dday

Post Number: 800
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I have purchased my tix for US GP already....

Any idea on how far it is to Madison from Indy?

Yes, the banzai run is most definitely in order. If you decide to go from Indy to Madison I can't see it being more than an hour and a half. There's no interstate that goes that way from Indy.

I want to go, at least, to the Regatta and possibly to the race.

If you want, you are more than welcome to make the humble D-Day abode as the base for said banzai run. We can put up more than one, as well.

Let me know what you think

(Message edited by D-Day on January 13, 2006)

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 759
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm thinking winter still. need to snowboard MORE :-)

Skulker

Post Number: 3381
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DDay:

I'll chat it up with the other three speed freaks and let you know.

Wmuchris
Username: Wmuchris

Post Number: 121
Posted From: 69.58.36.2
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be heading from Montreal to Indy.
I think they run in consecutive weeks this year?

F1 Junky needing my fix.

Skulker, let's meet up at USGP. I'll buy you a Fosters.

Montoya Rules!

Dday

Post Number: 801
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool. Let me know....three more is no problem. We have the room. That should be long weekend (4th is Tuesday)......

Skulker

Post Number: 3383
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They do run consecutive weekends this year...

I'd do Montreal and US, but Montreal is so freaking expensive, not only for tix but for lodging.

We may have one spare ticket if you have not purchased yours yet. We also camp at Park Indy which is closer to the track than the main camp ground and is complete with indoor toilets and showers. Where do you stay?

You buy me a Foster's and I'll make one of our camp cocktails for you and share some of the grilled pork loin that will be the featured dish this year.

Go to this link and look at the first photo on the left side of the second row. The pit girl was wearing my hat, but my buddy got cropped out of the picture.....LOL

http://www.formula1.com/galler y/images/740/Thursday/65961.ht ml

More a Schuey fan myself....but cripes, Alonso looks good last year. A well deserved crown.

Do you go to the Gold Cup as well? If not, you are really missing out on a great event.

Wmuchris
Username: Wmuchris

Post Number: 122
Posted From: 69.58.36.2
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never been to the Gold Cup, not even really sure what it is.

A note about Montreal, I stay every year in a Hostel in Vieux Montreal. It is two blocks from the island ferry. $15 Canadian a night, and you can get your own room if you call ahead early enough.

My money is on Alonso to win again. If Renault makes a good transition to V8 than things should be real good for the boys in blue.

At indy I stay at the campground by the Coca Cola plant. Just a coupla blocks from the track.

Skulker

Post Number: 3386
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhh, you stay over on the Tundra of Georgetown. We stay at a great little place with about 15 campsites and the aforementioned amenities including electical service...its right off 16th street to the south end with immediate entrance into the team merchandise trailer area.

The Gold Cup is the worlds oldest motorsport trophy that originally was a traveling trophy competed for by yacht clubs but in the late 1980's Detroit Yacht Club bought the trophy which is now awarded to the winner of the annual race on the Detroit river.

The boats that compete for the Trophy are in the Unlimited Hydroplane class, which is akin to F1 in terms of being on top of the heap in technological advancement, team budgets etc.
Their website
http://www.abrahydroplanes.com /

Essentially they are 30 foot airplane wings with three very small metal plates for steering powered by a 1,000 + HP jet engine.

They run a 2.5 mile oval course between Belle Isle and the Detroit riverbank with the turns north of Belle Isle and right at the Roostertail
Restaurant. Lap speeds are often above 130-140 MPH with trap speeds approaching 200 MPH. They kick up spray patterns called roostertails that are about 60 feet tall and often 150-250 long.

Click on this link
http://www.abrahydroplanes.com /index.cfm?page=Gallery

Watch the six videos under the video heading. They are about 1.5 minutes each....The Quebec video is a demonstration / test run to see if racing there was possible and to judge whether the area is a viable market (with the hot shoe Canadian rookie piloting the boat). The first 3 and the last one are all shot in Detroit.

You will notice how close the boats come to the stands and how much more open the access is than at an F1 race. Keep in mind the videos show them on tracks the size of Indy so those straights are usually 1 mile or more in length, the speed is deceiving on the video. They look slower than they are in real life.

The best part is that the tracks only hold about 6 six boats at a time and there are usually 12 - 15 at each race so there are an average of 8 competitive race heats on Saturday and Sunday followed by a fianl heat on top of qualifying on Thursday and Friday. As usual there are support races as well. Race weekends stay busy compared to F1 or other auto racing.

Like F1, once you see it, you are hooked.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 826
Posted From: 69.14.125.129
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Skulker

Essentially they are 30 foot airplane wings with three very small metal plates for steering powered by a 1,000 + HP jet engine.

Technicaly it is a turbine engine with a PTO powering the prop shaft.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.