Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Autoshow Thread « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 447
Posted From: 69.246.5.196
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I figured it was about time for an Autoshow thread. From the few pictures that I've seen in the paper, I'm sure this will be one of the more exciting shows that we've seen in recent years. Check out both the Camaro, and Imperial designs. While the Imperial isn't my taste, I can see how people might like it.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060109/BUS INESS09/60109012

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060108/A UTO04/601080314

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 103
Posted From: 198.103.184.76
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As usual, the NYTimes has great autoshow coverage -- even articles about Detroit.

http://www.nytimes.com/pages/a utomobiles/autospecial/

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 643
Posted From: 4.229.51.211
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Yeah Yeah - now how about getting the Autoshow review from a REAL source !

D E T R O I T B L O G

This guy is EVERYWHERE !

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 738
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

chrysler imperial: disgusting, tall, truck like....rolls royce phantom wannabe, but not nearly as graceful

chevy camaro: badass. fresh take on an old idea

chevy tahoe hybrid: 'bout time, looks better than the standard gasser

dodge challenger: did they even put any though into this? or just trace (3D scan) the old one?

toyota camry: waiting to see it in biege

toyota minivan thing: don't like the front, overall pretty neat, I like the interior materials

jeep compass: that's a shame

jeep rubicon: perfect evolution

ford reflex: nice! I'd drive one. love the seats.

ford super chief: things the size of a school bus! I think the interior is cool, but i think that's just because i like bent wood.

buick enclave: nice execution. the 'burbs will be flush with these.

(Message edited by gravitymachine on January 09, 2006)

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 1632
Posted From: 66.2.148.227
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that somebody was trying to invoke the old Chrysler Airflow in the Imperial. There's some fun stuff there but too much nostalgia! nostalgia! nostalgia! in our local concept cars.
But it looks like a snazzy show.
I like the Turbara.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 273
Posted From: 69.241.164.222
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is one of those things I really miss since moving out of the area. We went to the auto show every year. Last year one of the cable stations had a program on the Detroit Auto Show (SpeedTV? TLC?) I'll be looking for it again, but it's not even close to seeing it in person.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 356
Posted From: 71.10.63.140
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NBC had a national broadcast on a Saturday last year for a couple hours too

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 555
Posted From: 66.227.165.194
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NBC is also going to broadcast again this year.

I am going first thing Saturday morning. Driving all the way from Kalamazoo.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1397
Posted From: 69.215.247.64
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of the local coverage almost makes it pointless to go to the show in person because they're showing everything. Nothing left to surprise us once we get there.

Gravity, the whole point of a retro-look is to have the new version take on the likeness of the old version. Look at the current Mustang. It definitely looks like those from the 60s and early 70s. I love the pony version coming out this year.

Therefore, I love the Challenger concept. This is what they should have done with the Charger, instead of making the Charger a four door and copying the look of the 300. I hope to see very few changes in the Challenger production car.

Caseyc
Username: Caseyc

Post Number: 570
Posted From: 65.27.144.253
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

screw the car stuff....who's going to the big media shindigs?? The best ones are usually last night and tonight. Swing by the Bankle and see if Camillo is having his usual Ford fete. Sponge your way in with fake credentials... Better yet are the ones set up in unconventional spaces, like the Whitney Building, Ford factory and MCS media parties of yore...only the best in catered food and open bar all night. Those media freeloaders have it made.

Paulj
Username: Paulj

Post Number: 320
Posted From: 70.233.5.240
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive worked at teh autoshow the last 4 years.

In my humble uninformed blue collar show lackey opinion, it's the best one so far.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 820
Posted From: 69.14.125.129
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Caseyc

Swing by the Bankle and see if Camillo is having his usual Ford fete.

Camillo's gig is tonight. Missed a call and the pass that went with it. I will be at the AutoWeek Design Fourm dinner. John Lasseter of Pixar and Giorgetto Giugiaro founder of ITALDESIGN-GIUGIARO are some of the speakers. Should be intresting.

Caseyc
Username: Caseyc

Post Number: 571
Posted From: 206.18.111.5
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's pretty cool....John Lasseter's an interesting choice.
say hello to Joel Piaskowski for me if you see him...

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 739
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i went to designer's night at the bankle, a car designer circle-jerk as every year.

Chemak
Username: Chemak

Post Number: 46
Posted From: 130.101.48.82
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't get excited about the Camaro concept car because I remember what the GTO concept cars looked like, and we all know how the production model compares, badly.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 1636
Posted From: 67.88.174.17
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that I have made a picture that tells the story autosho06

Xphillipjrx
Username: Xphillipjrx

Post Number: 111
Posted From: 68.20.219.177
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am looking forward to seeing the Challenger in person. It's on the cover of both Road & Track and Automobile magazines. It's the first car in a long time to make me immediately open the issue to take a look. Usually the car mags go on the rack and I read them when I get time.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3640
Posted From: 141.217.173.110
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now the Chinese are getting into Auto making business with the Geetymobiles.

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 82
Posted From: 204.24.64.25
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Barnes, I think we need a blown up version of that photo! :-)

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 824
Posted From: 69.14.125.129
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Caseyc
that's pretty cool....John Lasseter's an interesting choice.

HE was the keynote last year and did not have anything from his new project Cars ready to show. He was back this year as one of many supporting speakers and had about 25 minutes of sequences from the picture this year. It looks like a pretty damn good animated feature.

He worked closely with many auto desiginers getting the cars animated. Ford supported him greatly in their design studio.

It was also intresting hearing what Giugiaro had to offer on automotive design. His whole presentation was in Italian with a radio brodcast in english.

Royce

Post Number: 1413
Posted From: 69.213.204.173
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe no one has commented on the autoshow in nine days. What's the problem? Did I miss something.

I went Thursday and clearly the best looking car at the show was the Challenger concept. I love this car. I heard one guy say as he walked away from the display, "Chrysler is a fool if they don't produce this exact car." My sentiments exactly.

Other than the Challenger there weren't too many cars I was impressed with. I did, however, like the Lincoln MXS concept, and the 2007 Nissan Sentra.

I also liked the Saturn Aura, but how in the hell can the Saturn Aura still be a concept car? Did I not see this car as a concept at the 2004 Auto Show? Why won't Saturn put this car into production? Everybody keeps talking about the Sky and it's nice looking, but it's a two seater. The Auru is the sharpest coupe that Saturn has designed. They're fools not to put this car into production.

Superduperman
Username: Superduperman

Post Number: 56
Posted From: 69.246.17.152
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 3:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm really diggin the Chrysler Imperial and the Big Chief truck from Ford.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1558
Posted From: 4.229.132.231
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 3:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went today(fri) Royce, you will be glad to know I survived Detroit intact.

As for the show time was limited but here are my impressions.

The Camaro was interesting.The Rolls Royce seemed massive and sort of hideous to me in fact it was a lot like the concept Imperial or maybe the Imperial is like the Rolls.........

The Bentley was sharp.And the new Lexus ls460 is quite nice.I am sure it will be very expensive but only about half the price of a Maybach and no doubt a much better car...........

The Solstice is a great looking car it jsut looks like a lot of fun.Unfortunately we missed the Challenger however we were not missed as the car had throngs around it the whole time we were present.

I liked the Infiniti very much it is a elegant car and my friend tells me it's reliability equals or surpasses Lexus.

The Italians i.e. Maserati and Lahmborgini were both quite nice.I liked the Maserati best a well styked car and sharp as hell for a sedan

All in all a nice day for a drive to Detroit and the auto show.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 469
Posted From: 69.246.5.196
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 3:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This MF is gonna be way too big for the road. Very stylish though

Superduperman
Username: Superduperman

Post Number: 57
Posted From: 68.42.169.160
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How did I forget to mention the Saleen S331 out in the lobby,that truck is sweeeeeeeeeet,I cant wait until july when its comes out,I'm going to have to have that baby...

Mthouston
Username: Mthouston

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 68.32.86.194
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well for those of you that have not gone to the Auto Show. Take a look here
http://www.360michigan.net/06N AIAS.htm

Royce

Post Number: 1423
Posted From: 69.212.231.238
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess everybody is focused on the Super Bowl so not a lot of focus on the auto show this year. And yeah, it's over at this point. However, I did want to interject a thought about somthing that has quietly occurred with the making of cars that hasn't had much discussion. It's such a minor thing that I didn't want to start a new thread on something so minor.

So here's the thing: I have a 1994 Honda Civic and below the back lights and above the back bumper are these two pieces of metal that separate the lights from the bumper. On new cars these pieces of metal have been phased out.

The bumper on new cars now goes all the way up to the back lights, if the lights are higher up on the back of the car. Has anyone else noticed this subtle change to how cars are made? I guess this is similar to the transition from silver metal bumpers to the plastic flexible bumpers on today's cars. Any thoughts?

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 793
Posted From: 68.255.237.217
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

royce, its probably styling driven more than anything, trying to make a more unified shape by visually integrating the bumper. that sheet metal is still there, its just covered by the fascia

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.