Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » WDET - Sue and Be Doomed « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mrjoshua
Username: Mrjoshua

Post Number: 614
Posted From: 69.209.162.180
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sue and Be Doomed
In Detroit, public-radio listeners strike a blow -- for regress
By TERRY TEACHOUT
January 7, 2006; Page P14
The Wall Street Journal

NEW YORK -- What would you do if your favorite radio station stopped playing your favorite music? In Detroit, seven irate listeners sued. They've filed a class-action suit against WDET-FM, the public-radio station of Wayne State University, claiming that the NPR affiliate committed fraud by encouraging them to make donations in support of locally produced weekday music shows, then canceling those shows and replacing them with national public-affairs programs.

WDET isn't giving an inch -- yet. General manager Michael Coleman has posted an open letter on the station's Web site, www.wdetfm.org, arguing that the new programming was necessary: "Following the close of the fiscal year on September 30, in which the station had a deficit of $300,000, the fall pledge drive that immediately followed fell more than $100,000 short of its goal. Those factors, in addition to the steady erosion of listeners (including listeners to midday music programs) demanded action."

Just in case you were wondering, the seven plaintiffs contributed a total of $850 to the station.

If the plaintiffs and their supporters fail to get their way, they plan to picket the station -- for openers. "We should have a say in what is aired on WDET, our public radio station in Detroit," they declare on their own Web site, www.savedetroitradio.com. That's no laughing matter. The financial contributions of WDET's listeners account for 90% of the station's annual budget. Should enough of them stop sending money, whatever the reason, WDET will go out of business.

Behind this nasty quarrel lies the sad fact that most of today's public-radio listeners don't want to hear music, or any other locally produced arts-oriented programming. Dozens of surveys have shown that they consistently prefer national news and talk radio, and NPR and its affiliates are giving it to them. In recent years, one station after another has scrapped its local shows in favor of "Morning Edition," "Fresh Air" and "Democracy Now" (all of which can now be heard on WDET each weekday). Litigation may slow down that process, but it won't stop it.

Should it? Public radio, after all, lives on subsidies. Some are direct, some indirect, some voluntary and some not. But its claim to any form of subsidy, regardless of source, arises from its noncommercial character. When public-radio stations allow their programming to be driven by exclusively commercial considerations, they violate that tacit agreement with their listeners. Yet given their claim to be "public," how can they justify devoting significant amounts of airtime to shows that most of their listeners don't care to hear?

The answer is that it doesn't matter anymore. The future of arts-oriented radio programming lies not in what is now called terrestrial radio (i.e., conventional radio broadcasting) but in podcasting and Web-based radio, which make it possible for independent producers and other individuals to narrowcast programs aimed at smaller audiences, the same way that blogs allow writers to "publish" their own work independently. These technologies aren't just around the corner -- they're already here. So is satellite radio, which supplies a dazzlingly wide range of programming to anyone willing to purchase a receiver and pay a modest monthly fee.

Why aren't these new media being embraced by music lovers who think NPR is doing them dirty? Partly, I suspect, because of the spread of the entitlement mentality to the American middle class, many of whose members now believe they deserve whatever they want and should be allowed to sue whenever they don't get it. But the main reason is that most of us suffer to varying degrees from a mental disorder I call "extrapolationism." To extrapolate is to predict the future solely on the basis of information about the past. Similarly, extrapolationists assume that the way things used to be done is the way they should always be done, now and forever.

Remember "2001: A Space Odyssey," in which Stanley Kubrick sought to show moviegoers of 1968 what the world would be like today? Not only did he get the big things wrong, from supercomputers run amok to commercial space travel, but he got the little ones wrong as well. He predicted Pan Am space shuttles, Bell System picturephones, even Howard Johnson's restaurants in space. Thirty-eight years later, these obsolete corporate logos invariably set middle-aged viewers to giggling. Yet they seemed plausible enough in 1968 -- to anyone suffering from extrapolationism, that is.

The protesters accusing WDET-FM of fraud have caught the same bug. "Music is art, and it is also an integral part of Detroit's rich and noteworthy history," they claim on their Web site. "Therefore, it should remain a large part of WDET, our public radio station." Period. Not only do they think WDET should continue to air programs whose ratings are plunging, but they refuse even to consider the possibility that there might be newer, better ways for them to tune in the music-oriented radio shows that they love. Instead, they've embarked on a course of action that could shut down WDET altogether. That's what I call a losing cause.

------------------------------ -------------------

Mr. Teachout, the Journal's drama critic, writes "Sightings" every other Saturday and blogs about the arts at www.terryteachout.com. Write to him at tteachout@wsj.com.

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 229
Posted From: 65.29.96.205
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What they don't mention is that Michigan Radio already offers the shows that WDET is adding. I used to switch between the two; WDET when I wanted music and Michigan Radio when I wanted news/talk.

The fact that Liz Copeland doesn't come on until 12 is a crime.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 713
Posted From: 69.221.95.166
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great column ...

Newlaster
Username: Newlaster

Post Number: 163
Posted From: 24.145.223.238
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the city, especially downtown, it is very difficult to get a decent signal from 91.7

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 230
Posted From: 68.42.171.71
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 2:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, the signal is weak at home and the first half of my commute but still, I miss mid-day music.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 450
Posted From: 68.61.98.175
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 4:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a lot of hooey. Middle-class entitlements. Dreadful paper.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 831
Posted From: 207.200.116.134
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 4:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ORF = out of touch & out to lunch.

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 243
Posted From: 68.252.70.12
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ran into John Penney and his wife at the Anti-Freeze Blues Festival last night.

I wanted to tell im how much I missed his radio show ... but I kept getting interrupted by people who wanted to tell him how much they missed his radio show.

(Message edited by Vic Doucette on January 08, 2006)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 5319
Posted From: 69.83.129.29
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Each of these well-wishers should've contributed a fiver or more to Penney's grief fund...could enable him to start-up a sustainable podcast. I'd join that...just to keep him spinning music in my world.

I would've asked him if he would consider returning IF Mr. Michael Coleman changed his mind or succumbed to market pressures.

I'm already done with that BBC world call-in program...what an absolute waste of my time. It could go away...and leave room for some live DJ'ing and possibly also periodic live music to numb our pain.

Lotsa bands out there who are used to stopping in to promote their concerts and new stuff...possibly the highest value service WDET provided in the past...BFF...Before the Format Fuckup.

Give John a two hour show each day (he could advance record it, if he has a day job), maybe squeeze in some Chuck Horn in the daily rotation...and we could get our fix of great new music.

I'm still in shock from the format switch, and not everything I'm hearing during the day seems worth the support next fund drive. I probably won't stop ponying up cash, but will significantly reduce my contribution...adjusted according to the lower time I spend listening to the station.

Pffft

Post Number: 714
Posted From: 70.228.0.36
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would subscribe to a Penney podcast -- sign me up ...

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2142
Posted From: 66.167.58.137
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I disagree with the suit. Suing the station only increases its costs. It will go nowhere. As a long time donor to and supporter of WDET, indeed I donated in the first ever pledge period, I do have a problem the station's rather callous attitude toward our contributions.

As I understand it, some 60-70% of the station's revenue comes from listeners. Yet the station gives listener's about 10% of the credit. All we hear is 'with the support of such and such company’. For starters they might start prefacing, 'Brought to you by the listener's of WDET with a small additional support of such and such.'

Unfortunately the writer turns this news story into a rant and descends into absurdity when he goes on to claim that Stanley Kubrick "sought to show moviegoers of 1968 what the world would be like today". Now where does that ridiculous leap come from, that 2001 was intended to exactly portray the future or the prehistoric past for that matter? Is he divining with the dead to find their thoughts? What an insult to assume that a genius like Kubrick was prophesizing and would hold such a literal and simplistic futurist interpretation. He was a directing a science fiction movie throwing in amusing contemporary references. The author needs a lesson in comic relief. 'Extrapolism' indeed. 'Ridiculism' better fits this writer.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 5320
Posted From: 69.83.129.29
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just thinking...that monetary restriction is about as far as my protest could go. I still have to wear the clothes, they might be a third of my usual wardrobe.

I'll NEVER be able to leave the hifi industry. I just acquired my spring/summer collection at the Consumer Electronics Show.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 734
Posted From: 68.255.242.100
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where's the class action suit against the closeur of the aquarium, the rec centers, the closeur of police precincts and firehouses, the layoffs of officers and firefighters....

those seem more important than some music, but what do i know....

this suit is moronic

(Message edited by gravitymachine on January 08, 2006)

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 780
Posted From: 68.73.193.207
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wrote to the general manager to express my support for the format change. The bottom line is that most of us didn't want to hear the crap that passed for mid-day music variety on WDET, and Mr. Coleman made appropriate changes to address this fact.

I didn't whine and file a lawsuit when they switched to the previous format (nor did I even bother to call or write and complain), so I have no sympathy for those who are doing so now. It's a tragedy that they can't find a way to contribute positively to the many legitimate problems in our community that could use their time, energy and passion. Once again, we have managed to become the laughingstock of the country.

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 783
Posted From: 68.73.193.207
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I forgot to add, I used the list of e-mail addresses on the save Detroit radio website. I would encourage anyone who agrees with me to do the same.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 729
Posted From: 152.163.100.195
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to admit, it does not matter to me. I would hear one song I liked followed by ten crappy songs by someone singing out of tune, or a weak arrangement of something else. I am by all means a supporter of lots of music that is not mainstrean (being a person with a music degree myself), but Judy Adams and Martin BanDyke were for the most part playing crap. I am really enjoying WRCJ now. And for anyone who cares the Listening Room with Chris Felcyn will be back at its old time slot on Sunday morning, but on WRCJ now (90.9).

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 91
Posted From: 24.199.98.177
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Podcasts are ok, but in no way can they replace the radio for spontaneity and communal entertainment.

Having grown up with the Keener13 and CKLW radio lists and having listened to a few podcasts, there is no comparable excitement. With the Keener lists, you would listen to the stations all day long and then go into the record shop with your friends, rip down the weekly sheets, and talk about the latest ups and downs of artists like you would the Tigers stats or NFL standings. Not that WDET today is either Keener or CKLW but to assume the possibilities of the radio can be matched by podcasts can only be imagined by someone who has only heard the anemic radio that is out there today.

"The Electrifying Mojo" available as a podcast only? Something called "having been experienced" is sorely lacking here.

Pffft

Post Number: 715
Posted From: 70.228.0.36
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a Keener kid too, Xd.

No way was latter day WDET ANYTHING like the Keener-CK days.

Have some more Pat Metheny with a side of Los Lobos ...

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 93
Posted From: 24.199.98.177
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I'm not saying WDET=Keener, no way, but WDET did have it's moments. Plenty with Radios In Motion and the Mojo, but even more recently, I think of when Joe Strummer died, and DET played nothing but Clash. Though I was in Detroit at the time, I doubt many stations here with DET's wattage gave so much airtime to recognize Strummer. Podcasts simply can't duplicate such moments, ever, never. The technology just isn't there.

(Message edited by xD_Brklyn on January 08, 2006)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.