Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Whats the deal with Barham Street on the E side? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 964
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im looking at Goodle Earth and one thing that has really caught my eye over time... is that Infill housing IMMEDIATLY STOPS at Barham street. South of this there is a sea of open space with housing being more rare than a vacant lot... where north of this street, houses are many and abundant.

Just curious but is there any incentive for living north of this street that would cause such a stark difference in housing density in that area? I mean.. its borderline night and day...

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2238
Posted From: 68.43.15.105
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could you narrow down the area for us? As far as I remember, Barham is more north-south than east-west, so I'm not sure what you mean by "south of.."or "north of..."

Alexei289

Post Number: 965
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is on the east side North of grosse pointe, Yes Barham goes North and south, my bad. However if you drive down mack continiously from the Pointes it gradually goes from north and south to east and west, as you get to the center.

If you drive down mack however, once you pass Barham there is a stark difference in the density of the housing where past it there are only 1 or 2 houses remanining on any street, where north of that it is mostly populated.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1078
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up about 14 blocks east of Barham, on Three Mile Dr., between Mack and Warren.

Barham was always a dividing line of sorts with the backs of garages for the Lakepointe houses (I think that's the right name for the street one block west of Barham). I don't know the history behind that phenomenon. I only remember we weren't supposed to venture any further west as we would be going out of the neighborhood. Even getting as far as Barham was pretty far from home when you're still in elementary school!!

Alexei289

Post Number: 967
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 3:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just cant understand, why on one side of the street, is all houses, and the otherside, is empty lots... there has to be more of an explanation than that i would think???

maybe im wrong...

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1714
Posted From: 4.229.147.246
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barham was always a strange street. It was more like 1/2 of a street since there were houses only on one side (the other side being the back of the property of the folks on Lakepointe).

The reason for the sudden change in landscape may be due to the fact that east of Barham all the neighborhoods are primarily larger brick homes, and west of Barham they are mostly smaller wooden homes.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 57
Posted From: 69.242.214.54
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 2:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's so funny you brought up that street.
My friends and I grew up in GP and couldn't believe that street when we found it. Just a year ago it was a major dumping ground, looked like an operating landfill, literally. I ended up writing Mahaffey and it got cleaned up a few months later. But it's still an eyesore, just to a lesser degree. Maybe one day when that side of Mack improves something will be built there, but that could be for another generation.

(Message edited by michigansheik on January 07, 2006)

Alexei289

Post Number: 974
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

.... Well the entire north side of mack, east of Barham seems alrite... Ive never had a problem in any of those neighborhoods... Only got roughed up once south of there from a bum that tried to steal my car while i was checking out some property... but the neighborhoods north of there seem pretty stable...

However, i dont know anyone in the city that doesnt live within 3/4 of a mile from the border... that dont live downtown..

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 58
Posted From: 69.242.214.54
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 2:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the north side of Mackis GP, that part if Mack is one of the most dramatic divides on the east side.
And north of Barham is East English Village not too far off, Barham is in between there and Morningside.

Alexei289

Post Number: 976
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 3:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... the north side of Mack is Detroit... THe south side is GP..

Yes the difference is dramatic from the city to GP... but so is the difference from Warren to SH.. or from Macomb to OC... I dunno... I think we are just trained to recognize Detroit and it is ingrained in our heads.. I mean... From GP to SCS is one of the starkest differences I have ever seen.. and for me REALLY marks the city layout from the suburb layout.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.