Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » State Trooper acquitted « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 76
Posted From: 71.144.95.97
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad he was exonerated. Being a cop must be a tough job.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060105/NEW S11/60105005

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 179
Posted From: 207.200.116.134
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have to make a decision in a split second, and then wait years and years for all the courts in the land to decide if you were right or wrong.

I imagine Ms. Worthy is crying in her beer this afternoon.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2221
Posted From: 66.202.227.12
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea so the next time someone kills a cop becuase they thought they were about to be a victim of poice brutality then I hope we get this same reaction

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 495
Posted From: 69.246.101.64
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goes to show ya'__ It's not just about the choices people make__ It's about the choices they have available to them.

super d(motordetroit)

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1762
Posted From: 68.209.118.72
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yea so the next time someone kills a cop becuase they thought they were about to be a victim of poice brutality then I hope we get this same reaction

Sounds like sour grapes from you.

The guys mental illness is ultimately what killed him. He evidently did not understand that his provocative actions could get him shot. The police officer had no way to determine that the guy was harmless.

A court heard the case, a jury acquitted. Be happy that this even had it's day in court.

Alobar
Username: Alobar

Post Number: 100
Posted From: 198.208.159.17
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you kidding? Glad he got off????

I Can't tell you how many times I've been walking home late at night and had some intoxicated nut case coming at me yelling and screaming. Know what this skinny white kid does? Shoves them to the side and keeps walking.

No reason at all for that man to be shot.

Bagman
Username: Bagman

Post Number: 38
Posted From: 68.248.14.58
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still miss Mr. Magoo....He was harmless and WE all knew it. The State Police should defer to the locals, but hey it was just a crazy street person, right Trooper?

Northend
Username: Northend

Post Number: 586
Posted From: 69.212.62.92
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bagman, do you wanna start a thread listing all the homeless you know, their characteristics, location, etc...???

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2223
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better yet NorthEnd you start a thread showing us all the violent street people U KNOW PERSONALLY...

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5310
Posted From: 68.42.168.211
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's pretty clear that Worthy prosecuted the trooper with Malice aforethought.

Northend

Post Number: 588
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D_styljing...me and my wheelchair have a rather limited list of violent street pweople to share w/ u

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2224
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh so why do you feel to paint ALL homelss people as being violent...

You just negated every one of your posts you made on this tread by making assumptions...

Northend

Post Number: 590
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D_styling...I lost you here...when did I say that ALL homeless are violent??
If I can't recollect, please accept my apologies, if not I expect you to apologize to me publicly no later that 5pm tonite on a "Northend-specific apology" thread!!!! :-)

Bagman

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No I would not. I am looking to have my book published....."I got rich while the brick and mortor guy paid rent" Begging for Glory!
They will all be in there......
BTW NORTHEND - PLEASE stop refering to these people as homeless. I have followed many of them home at the end of the day and they live pretty well.

Bagman

Post Number: 41
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will participate in a violent shopkeeper thread

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2225
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me rephrase...

1).I was respondin to this here:

quote:

Bagman, do you wanna start a thread listing all the homeless you know, their characteristics, location, etc...???

Which imples (at least to me) that you were challenging Bongman as to who he knew that were percieved threats, as if he needs to prove your argument wrong. That's what spurred my response to you.

2). If I would have been thinkin about giving you an apology after that last post I definately wouldnt have. I don't respond very well to demands ya dig?

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2226
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And since so many people think of the homeless as dangerous, faceless people I saw this on another thread and I think all of you should check it out.Magoo was once one of these people.

http://snowsuit.net/

Northend

Post Number: 594
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D_styling:
1) wrong assumption on your part. But it is OK.
2) You are free to "would have been thinking about giving"
3) You have until 6pm to apologize.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2227
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK now lets revisit this Northend...

quote:

2). If I would have been thinkin about giving you an apology after that last post I definately wouldnt have. I don't respond very well to demands ya dig?

Now keep waiting...

And I will be here @ 6

Northend

Post Number: 596
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D_styling.....you're good....really good...you got me!
I'm pretty sure you will not apologize at six right!!??!
GOOOOOSSSSHHHHHH!!!! this guy is good!!!

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 1992
Posted From: 69.14.135.95
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still laughing at the bum I saw at the Addison ramp off of I-94 today scoffing down a sandwich while simutaneously holding up a sign stating that he was homeless & hungry.

He usually skedadles on his mountain bike towards Michigan after 5:00pm.

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2126
Posted From: 69.221.39.235
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Atl runner, more accurately it would be mental illness combined with drug use.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1124
Posted From: 141.213.173.94
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One juror called the deliberations "grueling." If so, you would have thought this question warranted more than four hours of their time.

I think the trooper should get manslaughter charges.

Even if it was a cop who was facing the reality of an idiot charging toward him, its still one person killing another, and this is something we need less of around here, and something we don't want at all in downtown Detroit.

I'm sure the situation didn't get out of hand without provocation, and if it did, then the inference should have been made that the guy was probably drugged or drunk.

I am a big supporter of tasers and tranquilizers for moments like this.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 816
Posted From: 69.14.125.129
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Mackinaw

I am a big supporter of tasers and tranquilizers for moments like this.

Do some ride alongs with police and see how ineffective tasers can be on people. Tasers can kill pople also. Drug users are unaffected in a lot of situations.

Tranqs can kill and be useless too.

Guns can kill and hurt bystanders also.

Walk in the shoes of a competent law enforcement personell and you will see things much different.

My father was a PO and got out before his mental health suffered too much.

Several uncles are/were Highland Park EMT's and PO's during the crack wars and that really fucked with them mentaly before moving on to smaller communities.

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 417
Posted From: 67.149.110.53
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 2:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly most supposed homeless people you see are in reality not homeless at all.. They are drug addicts, or people out to get an extra buck... Follow one of them and find out the real truth..

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 575
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 3:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McP...This may be the same guy who is the area who holds a sign saying

"Why lie..I need a beer"

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 5:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But Toolbox, would a taser have been better for this situation or not? Is the attitude one that says, "he's drugged and homeless, and sedating him might not work, so just shoot"? Something tells me a taser would have created a situation where the police officer would not have been the one being tried by a jury (and would not have to deal with the burden of having killed someone), and the homeless guy, the one culpalble for the incident, would be the one in court.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1172
Posted From: 69.220.230.150
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Family now suing for $10 million.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 2490
Posted From: 69.212.127.167
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Link?

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2261
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dom I'd like to see the stats that support your claim that most of the homeless in and around downtown are not homeless...

Pretty easy to sit in your nice, warm, and comfortbale house and make that claim when you have a job to go to in the morning.

However, I am not in anyway saying that some of the homeless out there aren;t just trying to run scams but your claim that most aren't homeless is working with an pretty broad brush.

Dfdems
Username: Dfdems

Post Number: 64
Posted From: 70.236.164.126
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am amazed at the number of people who perpetrate the “love and hug” the homeless theme. I assume most of you that are guilty of it have little to no interaction with them on a daily basis.

I personally am glad the MSP officer was acquitted. To those who thought he should have been found guilty because he shot a homeless guy try doing his job for a day or two before you rush to judgment. Most everyone who puts on a uniform and a badge has one shared goal, to go home at the end of the day.

Just because a person is “Homeless” doesn’t make them less of a threat or lessen their intent to do you harm. If you think that’s a BS statement try finding Osama’s home address, for all intensive purposes he is homeless..

Detroit EMS

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2266
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah you are so right DFD...

Thats why I am glad that I dont fit into the 'most of them that blazay blazay....'

Seeing as how I live downtown and encounter them on a daily basis, I can pretty much tell who's homeless and who;s running scams.

Now as I said before, there are quite a few that do runs scams, however, this does not constitute 'MOST" as was so eloquently stated above. Unless someone has gone out and done a scientific study on who's homeless and who's not, then no one on this forum can claim any position on the homeless problem in the city. For the vast majority of you, they are not even people but moreso a 'pain' when you leave your nice cozy homes to enjoy yourselves downtown.

Is it a pain in the ass to get hit up by every other homless person in the city when you are trying to have a good time? Yes it is, even I as benevolent as I am tend to get tired of it. BUT I have never-- since I damn near became one of them a few years back-- ever judged nor questioned whether or not someone is homeless or not...

Some of you need to get off your high horses and thank whatever god you pray to, that you are NOT homeless being painted with a broad brush, by someone who is content in their comfortable situation...

Dfdems

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fox 2 just had a bit where they said the homeless man’s family is suing the officer for a 10 digit figure, i.e. 10+million.

What a crock of shit. The jury found the Officer acted in self defense.

Detroit EMS

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1133
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is really hard to give the benefit of the doubt to the officer. He was armed and the homeless guy wasn't. The homeless guy is dead. I don't care why or for how long he was homeless. Would you rather have some homeless people occasionally acting up downtown (this was a pretty rare incident) or would you rather have people dead on the streets of downtown?

Dfdems, what do you think of tasers?

I agree with Detroit_stylin's last paragraph.

Pjazz
Username: Pjazz

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 69.212.37.107
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 2:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you don't think most people you see on the street arent homeless try visiting a homeless shelter one cold nite. I'd guess at least 50% of the homeless have mental problems since the state has closed a lot of mental hospitals.

I'm glad I'll be the state and not the city getting sued for once.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 474
Posted From: 69.246.29.72
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 2:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm disgusted by so many people being glad this guy got off.
Its not about him being a cop, its not about this guy being homless.
Its about shooting an unarmed man with his pants on his ankles!

Its ridiculous! A drunk man, with his pants on his ankles, and unarmed.

How is this in the least acceptable? Because the trooper told him to stop? So you mean all it takes is the disobedience of an order to "stop" and its ok to kill someone.

you clowns don't know freedom and justice, you only know that one is a trooper the other a bum, and because of their places in society you say its OK.

This was a case between two men, and one was more out of line then the other.......hmmm could it be the one that murdered?
This is sickening.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1134
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good points, Vas.

Vas

Post Number: 475
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 3:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks mac, considering we're the number one city for justifiable homicides and are cops are under investigation for so many shootings of suspects.
maybe its high time I got a gun.

but that's not the point, you have to judge each case seperately......and this case seems preety simple. Besides, I know the girl bartending at the bar in question and she's buddy buddy with all the cops in Greektown, but she saw it and she thinks he should go to jail.

Dfdems

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 4:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit_stylin-
Nice site, great photos!

Mackinaw-
Tazers are great I think. I don't believe every officer with MSP has one though, I think it’s a limited thing at the moment. It’s a less than lethal option and gives the officer one more tool to affect a positive outcome using the minimal amount of force.

Pjazz & Vas-

Pjazz you are right, a lot of homeless people belong in hospitals. Thanks to the great state of Michigan that isn't an option anymore.

The argument that an officer shot an unarmed man is valid. What isn't is that none of us knows what that officer was thinking. Did he know the guy was unarmed? Did the guy follow verbal commands? Did he stop and put his hands in plain site?

Supposedly the guy appeared violent and wouldn’t comply with verbal commands. Apparently he advanced on the officer and the officer fired. He was drunk and had his pants around his ankles? Guess what, drunk people carry guns and knives and kill people. When you have someone at gunpoint you have few options if a person doesn't comply. If that person advances on you your options come down to

Back up?
Try and holster your weapon and go a different way i.e. pepper spray, tazer, etc?
Fire?

You are a complete idiot to wrestle with a guy with a gun in your hand. An officer has a right to self defense if he/she fears for his life just like you and I do. Sitting here today and second guessing the guy is easy but I would have to say that a guy who is advancing on you when you have a weapon pointed at him who appears intoxicated, violent and is obviously half naked is not trying to get close to you to give you a hug.

As far as being “Clowns” and now knowing freedom and justice I have over 10 years in the military and will probably be in the great sandbox within the next 45 days, I am pretty familiar with the issue thank you. As far as the homeless persons status in society justifying it I don't see your argument. I have less problems with homeless people than I do with the “live off of the government, you work for me, sit on my ass eating popcorn and chips watching Jenny Jones” crowd that we have to give a ride to the ER on the taxpayers dime because they have a runny nose while their “friend” follows us to the ER in their car. Give me a homeless person any day.

Either way you fall on the issue a jury ruled he acted in self defense, i.e. he feared for his life. Right, wrong or indifferent only the officer truly knows if he made a mistake.

Detroit EMS

Dfdems

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 4:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just for the record I don't think had it been a Detroit PD unit on point it would have gone that way. I think MSP is “out of their league” so to speak within the city when it comes to dealing with some of our homeless people. For DPD it’s an everyday occurrence.

Detroit EMS

Vas

Post Number: 476
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

its seems that people think its ok to shoot an unarmed man, just because he wouldn't heed the call to stop approaching.
That's not freedom, that's a police state.

Dfdems, you're right, I think the trooper was out of his environment, not comfortable with a homless man who was well known around the area.

See you wolld think that I always think the cop is guilty, but I don't think in black and white terms, most often the cop is in a dangerous situation and the level uncertainty is high. You have to judge each case seperately, which doesn't seem to be the case with you Dfdem, it seems like your position in the military has you siding with the police officer no matter what the situation of the particular case, here we have an unarmed homeless wino stumbling with his pants down towards a cop.
There is no justification. If you can't take that person down with your many other tools as a State Trooper, then you're incompetent.
Yeah its easy for me to say that right here, but I don't find it particularly hard to tackle and beat up a drunk bum, with my fists and the many weapons I carry. Shooting an unarmed man is unecessary.

_sj_

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I agree that no one deserves to die, the man's hands were hidden and he refused to show them.

Treez4brkfst
Username: Treez4brkfst

Post Number: 88
Posted From: 68.21.61.1
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that similar to the wallet/cellphone i thought it was a gun thing??????

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2268
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah sounds like the same excuse even though his pants were around his ankles...

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 944
Posted From: 68.248.15.192
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dfDems, Absolutely right. First, his family abandons him, they cry crocodile tears when he dies, and now they're trying to profit from his death by suing for $10 million immediately after the officer was found to be not at fault. Pathetic.

_sj_

Post Number: 1176
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yeah sounds like the same excuse even though his pants were around his ankles...

Does that stop you from doing bodily harm?

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2270
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does that warrant a person to use lethal force and skip over several levels of non lethal means?

_sj_

Post Number: 1177
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is not such thing as non lethal means.

Just a blurb from Sunday. Involving almost the same circumstances.

quote:

Detroit Police Spokesman James Tate said two officers stopped Joiner about 2 a.m. Sunday at John R and Margaret streets as Joiner walked with both hands in his pockets. Tate said the officers asked him to show his hands.

When he did, he pulled out a handgun and fired twice, striking the same officer twice, Tate said. One bullet went through the officer’s arm; the other ricocheted off his bulletproof vest and grazed his other arm. He was treated and released at Detroit Receiving Hospital.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I think MSP is “out of their league” so to speak within the city when it comes to dealing with some of our homeless people." -Dfdems

Great point. And then there is the story of two troopers taking a homeless guy up to an alley by 8-mile and shooting him up with chemicals used to disperse crowds. (That's on the current "hee...funny" thread).

Again, Tazers seem like a pretty semi-lethal means.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2273
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sure sj and all circumstances are exactly alike therefore u use the same force with everyone...

Hope you not ever in a situation where you have a nervous, jumpy, rookie cop, pulling u over on his first patrol night where u get shot reaching for your Liscense and registration...

Hey similar circumstances ri? The cops dont know...

_sj_

Post Number: 1178
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

sure sj and all circumstances are exactly alike therefore u use the same force with everyone...

No, but we were not there so we can not judge what the guy or the trooper were doing or planning to do.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2274
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep but we can also see what transpired and the evidence that the guy was not armed...

So what do we say then....'Oops'?

_sj_

Post Number: 1180
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We don't say anything. The justice system failed this case and now money will speak justice.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2285
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And a murdered will walk awaya simply becuase he has a badge...

I'ts no problem, he was just trying his best to help eliminate homelessness....one life at a time...

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2132
Posted From: 70.141.76.16
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...Or the other evidence of the man approaching the officer aggressively, failing to stop when ordered, refusing to show his hands, kicked out of an establishment for harrassing patrons/breaking a window, and high on drugs (unfortunately combined with mental illness).

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2289
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like I said....unarmed...

Unless the rest of the world is lying and the only reality that exists is the one that bounces around that empty shell that sits on top your neck...

But of course everyone else is lying including the experts that investigated the scene, the eyewitnesses and everyone else that said he was unarmed...

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2134
Posted From: 70.141.76.16
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Flossin, perhaps you should loan the State Trooper your time machine so he will know that the man was unarmed, after the fact. You know the same time machine that exist just like your many other erroneous military claims that were debunked.

Unless the world is lying about the man approaching the officer aggressively, failing to stop when ordered, refusing to show his hands, kicked out of an establishment for harrassing patrons/breaking a window, and high on drugs (unfortunately combined with mental illness).

...And now for tomorrow's winning lottery numbers

Dfdems

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here, this guy was unarmed with his daughter along side of him when he beat an officer unconscious, unarmed…

http://www.ghettomedic.com/for um/showthread.php?t=82

Here is a guy who shoots two cops

http://www.ghettomedic.com/for um/showthread.php?t=47

Here is a corrections officer who gets the beat down and gets saved only by other officers coming to his rescue..

http://www.ghettomedic.com/for um/showthread.php?t=86

Anyways, the point of the videos is to show that officers do in fact get their asses kicked by unarmed people and in the case of the first video the officer is lucky she is alive. The guy could have shot her with her own gun. Cops die a lot more regularly than most other job occupations. Everyone loves to get down on the cops because they gave you a ticket or took to long or didn't seem like they cared, blah blah..

I doubt most of you have any idea what cops go through and put up with. I work on EMS and I only get a glimpse of the shit they catch, they can have it. Whether the cop was right or wrong a jury found him not guilty. Now, the family that by all accounts apparently wasn’t there for him (i.e., mentally disturbed living on the streets.) is suing for 10+ million. That’s justice? Had he killed the cop could the state sue his family? Could the cop’s family sue the guy’s family? What a crock of s**t.

If anyone should get sued for dollars it is the state for closing all of the mental institutions. We pick them up, they go to Detroit receiving for a meal & maybe meds or psychiatric hold and are back out again to get picked back up by EMS or PD. There isn't a long term solution to his mental illness in this state.

Anyways, on the topic of tazers is one with an officer and a drunk guy. I think it’s pretty funny actually..

http://www.ghettomedic.com/for um/showthread.php?t=331

Detroit EMS

Mjb3
Username: Mjb3

Post Number: 89
Posted From: 24.145.222.252
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing everyone is missing is respect for the law. When an officer is present, people should defer to him. The cop didn't know this homeless guy from Adam or Eve. For all he knows, he's packin, on PCP, etc.

If Magoo had just followed commands, he would be on the street today panhandling, picking up cans, heckling, urinating in kennedy sq, etc.

When the cops give you a command, you follow it. I don't think that is a police state. It is respect for the law.

If you go to Chicago, you see homeless people. But you also see police "steer" them away from public view. They are purposely not welcome. DPD could benefit from this. Instead of only during the super bowl, these guys should be encouraged to stay away from CBD. I'm sure the merchants would welcome this.

As for the lawsuit, to make $10 mil, he would have to panhandle for 1,369 yrs(assuming he makes $20/day). Only in America, what a country.

Putty_nose
Username: Putty_nose

Post Number: 35
Posted From: 12.75.23.87
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the assumption here is that police, rescue workers, hospital staff, etc. are here to be abused and should take it, and when it comes down to a fight it should be fair with equal weapons on either side. Bullshit. When you challenge a professional you challenge every one of them within hearing distance. They'll all come and be on you and they'll use whatever force is necessary and then some. Like the Hell's Angels: you fight one of them and you're fighting them all.

All this talk of tasers and tranquilizers is stupid. I suppose you think that the police have Bat Utility Belts with nets and paralyzing gases and other high tech devices that don't exist. Tasers are often ineffective, and sedation outside of a controlled environment (like in a hospital on a monitor with reversal agents within reach) is dangerous. Of course none of you know that because you're all just blowing air out of your asses on a forum.

All you people who work in offices or go to school have no idea what it's like to have frequent close contact with these people. You can just walk by, give them money or tell them to fuck off, and they're out of your life in seconds.

And I get sick of people saying that the state needs to lock them all up in mental hospitals. This is a free society and we don't quarantine people because of incommunicable illnesses. If they are lucid one day and decide not to take their meds or whatever, it's on them. The state has no responsibility to these people. This one man's family disowned him long ago, and now they;re seeing dollar signs and they're back for what's theirs. They could have given him support instead of leaving him on the street, but they didn't want to deal with him any more than Granholm or Engler before him did.

Vas

Post Number: 477
Posted From: 24.180.77.218
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah the lawsuit is crap, but the verdict is as well.
df-
so a sober criminal with 100 pounds on a female cop beats her up......good example.
I'm talking a drunk ass dirty bum with his pants around his ankles against a male state trooper.

Mjb3
Respect for the law? I agree. That's not in qustion. But what happens when you don't? Executed? That's a police state....

Puffy Nose
your comment is just plain idiotic. the idea is that Police Officers, hospital workers are supposed to be abused? You dumbshit, no one has said that on the forum.
You don't like your job, then get a new one, funny how you use this thread to steam about your occupation,
This is about one case, one situation. If you can't neutralize a drunk, dirty bum with his pants on his ankles, without shooting him in the chest.......then maybe you shouldn't be a cop.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.