Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Can we Draft Vince Young? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2391
Posted From: 152.163.100.195
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 2:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a game.......

If Millen wants to redeem himself, Make Vince Young an offer he cant refuse...

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 958
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 3:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not if someone else takes him.... then talks are out unless we make a deal with the team that drafts him.

Panson
Username: Panson

Post Number: 758
Posted From: 64.12.116.195
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 3:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His knee was down on the first touchdown!!! Where was the review!?!?!

Refs screwing Panson’s teams all Bowl Season, and developing a strong hatred for Univ of Texas.

Univ. of Mich. '91
Univ. of So. Cal. '96

...and if the Lions did draft him, I'm sure they'd find a way to F his career too. Why bother?

Lt_tom
Username: Lt_tom

Post Number: 55
Posted From: 208.0.107.92
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 3:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We'd have to make the Saints an offer too to get their pick

Panson
Username: Panson

Post Number: 759
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 3:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P.S. Vince Young vs Michigan: 192 yrds rushing, 180 passing.

Vince Young vs USC: 200 yrds russhing, 267 passing.

Maybe Michigan's D wasn't that bad after all.

...nah, on second thought, they are that bad and V. Young is that good.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1118
Posted From: 141.213.173.94
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 3:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Young is unstoppable, he pretty much did the same as in last year's Rose Bowl...I still vividly remember him throwing off attempted sacks from the Michigan linebackers in the backfield and running for big yards.

But, I think he will return to his team and take on Ohio State or USC (or dare I say Big Blue if we can finally beat Tressel) in the Fiesta Bowl.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/ news/story?id=2280007

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 63
Posted From: 24.176.50.206
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 3:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have to enjoy the bandwagon effects of the big game. Before kickoff, you couldnt hear enough about Leinhart and Bush and now everyone is saying VY is #1. It would actually would be a good fit for Houston, ticket sales would soar for them. That would make Carr expendable then too, maybe the Lions could pick his carcas up for some loose change.

Hooha
Username: Hooha

Post Number: 67
Posted From: 69.81.52.188
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 4:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vince Young is overrated. All of his big stat games are vs. pourous defenses (USC dropped more points to Fresno State, for god's sake), and he's damn slow for a scrambling QB. I hate USC, but even I got frustrated on their behalf as I watched Young ooze between their defenders. Being big might help him shake off tackles from college boys, but a top notch NFL defense isn't going to be pushed around by Young because of his size.

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 65
Posted From: 24.176.50.206
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 4:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

slow?...then, could you explain to me exactly why one defender could not catch him? This isn't another Leftwich, he seems more comparable to Vick except he displayed great accuracy tonight.

Lt_tom

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 4:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who is Vick? Are you talking about Ron Mexico?

Devinc
Username: Devinc

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 69.14.138.74
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 4:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i hope so. if millen had any brains he would botch all of next season to get VY. or if it comes to the draft this season, trade anybody you can to get this young talent.
This kid is a franchise changer.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 898
Posted From: 198.111.56.128
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michael Vick still hasn't won a thing in the NFL, and I bet he never will. He's coming to that age where he's going to get killed by running, and he still can't pass worth a lick. Same as Kordell....same as Vince Young until he proves me wrong. College isn't the NFL...even at USC & Texas.
I would never draft a QB with a top pick. I hope the Lions have learned their lesson after Long, Ware, & Joey. Too much of a gamble.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 385
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After that showing, I don't see New Orleans trading down for more picks, unless the offer was VERY lucrative. After all the high picks that Millen has had, you want him to have another one? Where's the change? Besides, the talent pool is very deep this time around, so I don't see it happening.

BTW, Bush is not that great! No Heisman-caliber performace in the biggest game of the year? Tsk, tsk.

SEE ALL 4 MAJOR BOWL GAMES THIS SATURDAY STARTING AT 11:00 A.M. ON ESPN CLASSIC.

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3343
Posted From: 67.103.104.93
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

His knee was down on the first touchdown!!! Where was the review!?!?!

And the Texans got away with an obvious fumble. For the life of me I cannot understand how any replay judge could look at the fumble and NOT call it a fumble.

We don't need Vince Young. He won't be available by 9th pick. Pray to the defensive gods we can pick up AJ Hawk. He is the missing piece in our defensive scheme. Lets get our D completely nailed down so we can gut and retool the offense and not lose every stinking game.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 298
Posted From: 69.215.30.34
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I enjoyed the Vince Young Rose Bowl Show just as much as the next person, but I wouldn't sacrifice to draft him.

Another spectacular showman would be the Buckeye's Troy Smith - he has quite an arm to be able to toss 55-60 yards on top of his scrambling capabilities ala Vince Young.

It's rare that I agree with Skulker, but A.J. Hawk is going to be an impact NFL athlete. He would bring the kind of impact to the Lion's defense the way that Brian Urlacher does for the Bears.

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 490
Posted From: 69.246.101.64
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vince Young is tha' new age college QB__ Black, strong,and fast>>>>The days of the white QB is past history__ unless your last name is Manning.

L.Carr, ya' betta' rek-o-nize.

super d(motordetroit)

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 2814
Posted From: 129.137.187.133
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It'll be interesting to see how Young does in the pros. Will he develop into an athletic QB who can pass like McNabb or Culpepper or will he be more like Michael Vick, a great athlete but mediocre passer?

Either way, the Lions won't get him if he decides to turn pro. They'd have to trade up.

Lurker
Username: Lurker

Post Number: 1547
Posted From: 65.196.220.198
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The days of the white QB is past history__ unless your last name is Manning.

Better let Tom Brady and Carson Palmer know that.

The problem with the mobile QB is that they suffer too many injuries, as a result of putting themselves out there. Vick hasn't played a full season in the NFL yet. Culpepper and McNabb both went down this year. Steve Young's career ended because he got smashed in the head too many times.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 428
Posted From: 71.213.227.199
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finally, somebody brought race into this discussion, I was beginning to doubt the forum in this young, new year.

Pitiful.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1166
Posted From: 69.220.230.150
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Closer to Randall than Vick.

Houston for somereason thinks they are fine with Carr, of course that could change come April as will the entire the draft order.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 900
Posted From: 198.111.56.128
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's because Houston's offensive line was even worse than ours. It's tough to evaluate any quarterback when you're constantly running for your life. Look at Favre....Do you really think he's lost that much, or does the supporting cast bring him down to their level ?
------------------------------ ---------------------
"The problem with the mobile QB is that they suffer too many injuries, as a result of putting themselves out there. Vick hasn't played a full season in the NFL yet. Culpepper and McNabb both went down this year. Steve Young's career ended because he got smashed in the head too many times"

Exactly. Very few survive....Tarkenton, Elway, Gannon, and a few others. Even those eventually get smart and pick and choose when they take off.

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2124
Posted From: 71.144.94.199
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Skulker and Darwinism, hopefully Hawk is more like Spielman and less like Katzenmoyer.

Gwhobbies
Username: Gwhobbies

Post Number: 46
Posted From: 66.208.225.165
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Skulker, thank you for being the first to say something that isn't a knee jerk reaction to Vince Young's performance last night.

A.J. Hawk has the tools to be a great linebacker in the NFL. That is where I would put my money. But then again, I wanted the Lions to draft Johnson last year.

Super_d

Post Number: 492
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Rrl'__ it's a fact!__ 6 of the top 10 teams have Black QB's.

Texas (Vince Young)
Penn State (Micheal Robinson)
Ohio State (Troy Smith)
West Virginia (Pat White)
LSU (Jamarcus Russel)
Georgia (DJ Shockey)

Also in tha' hood' peewee teams like the EastsideRaiders, West-Side Cubs, run the spread offense with the QB involved in 75% of the offensive plays.__ traditionally in the city Black teams rarely threw the ball__ now running the ball is second nature. Most of the Highschools run similiar styles of the spread offense, which features the QB in most of the offensive schemes.

In otherwords, there is a line of young McNabbs, Vicks, and Youngs, willing and ready__ and the college recruiters are lining up to bring in the next Micheal Vick.__ that's not racist, it's a fact.

You brought race up! not me.

super d(motordetroit)

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I think that when any of these names are available in the draft, the Lions should take 'em. Because they represent the offensive style that is working best right now. I would still hesitate to classify this type of QB by color though, because Brett Basanez and plenty of white boys through the years have fit this mold as well. Even UM has a redshirt freshman to suceed Henne that is noted as a double-threat QB. The NFL has fewer scrambling-QB success stories to this point (relegated mainly to McNabb, Vick, and a couple years of Garcia in SF), but I think that will change over 2-4 years. You just saw a vaunted scrambling quarterback outshine a vaunted pocket QB by simply taking over the game against a good defense last night.

Tortfeasor
Username: Tortfeasor

Post Number: 423
Posted From: 192.217.231.54
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vince Young has never taken a snap from center, dropped back, analyzed the field within about 1/8th of a second, and then made a successful pass. How many NFL teams run the shotgun exclusively? We still don't know if he can do that. Also, he is successful because he is strong. But, in the NFL, defenses are quicker and stronger than in college. I don't know whether he can do the same thing on that level. But, I do think Vince will have more success in the NFL than Matt Leinart(sp?).

We would be stupid not to take A.J. Hawk if he is around. I do not, however, want to see us take another offensive skills player. We need to let our current guys develop (and maybe replace our QB, but not with a rookie). O-line could use some help too.

I suppose it all depends upon who is holding the clipboard. First things first, let's get a damn coach. One that is willing to be an asshole when need be, and get these multi-millionare whiners in shape. It's just too bad that the domers got Charlie Weiss. He would be great.

Super_d

Post Number: 494
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Tortfeasor'__ stated, "Vince Young has never taken a snap from center".......

Wouldn't the same go for A.J. Hawk...right?????

super d(motordetroit)

Skulker

Post Number: 3348
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uhhhhhh Super_d(im)...AJ isn't a quarterback...

A comparison would be if AJ Hawk had never been part of a blitz play.....

Perhaps Big Tone at 30th and Warren could tell you some things about football.

Rrl

Post Number: 429
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You brought race up! not me.

super d(motordetroit)

Sorry bro, but you're not going to pin that on me. I was simply pointing out that YOU were the first to mention VY's skin color in this thread, and how pitiful it is that it even has to be mentioned.

When I watch VY perform, he's just a tremendous athlete, not a black guy. When I see Lance Armstrong ride, I see the same, a tremendous athlete. Admire them for their achievements, not because of their pigmentation.

I have a dream...

Iseries840
Username: Iseries840

Post Number: 130
Posted From: 12.31.43.97
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian Bosworth and Keith McCants were also great College Linebackers.

Super_d

Post Number: 496
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Skulker'__I was talk'n bout' AJ's pro-experience mannnnnnnnnn!

and 'Big-Tone' on Warren and 30th only knows Tv's car radios, rims, etc...

super d(motordetroit)

Super_d

Post Number: 497
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Rrl'>>>are you serious? and finishing up wit'tha' I have a dream quote.....aaah yes, the frozen legacy of the famous," I have a dream" speech.....read a little deeper into brotha' King will ya__ anyway that's another topic on another thread.

A Black athlete is a Black athlete.
A white athlete is a white athlete.

super d(motordetroit)

Rrl

Post Number: 430
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

why not just "athlete"?
Or are you suggesting that color has something to do with performance?

Super_d

Post Number: 498
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

guote///"Or are you suggesting that color has something to do with performance."////.

YES! We are better athletes.

super d(motordetroit).

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2392
Posted From: 205.188.116.201
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I once brought up the fact the Michigan hasnt had a Black QB under center in 16 now 17 years.

I also brought up the fact that Jeff Smoker is the mobile on the go QB, and was rated pretty high in this years class of QB's

Perhaps a more mobile QB, black or white, is just the answer to super fast, hyper active defenses that the NFL is producing.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1499
Posted From: 4.229.132.62
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the topic of QB's at UM I find it perplexing that Guiteriez(sp) highky recruited out of Calif, picked to start and then injured (2004) is now a benchwarmer.He is a mobile QB.But apparently he sucks.....which is what I find confusing.....How bad can he be? Or is it just loyalty to Henne on Carrs part?

Lt_tom

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 4:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zulu....how about Jermaine Gonzalez?

Czar

Post Number: 2815
Posted From: 129.137.167.53
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard Big Tone is a helluva QB.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1432
Posted From: 150.198.164.127
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lions need to draft the best defensive end in the draft. The defense lacks a monster pass rusher and because of that we force the corners to have to cover to long.

AJ Hawk no
Vince Young no

1st choice best pass rusher available
2nd choice best offensive lineman available

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1121
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no, no, no...we clealy need more WR personnel out of the draft!

Skulker

Post Number: 3351
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Merchantgander.....

AJ Hawk had two solo sacks on Quinn and put more pessure on Young than the entire USC D did in the Rose Bowl....

You don't think he is a talented pass rusher?

Super_d

Post Number: 500
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should draft the best athlete at the time of your pick__ whether it's for defense, offense, QB, or what ever.

You build your team through free agency not thru the draft picks.

super d(motordetroit)

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1433
Posted From: 150.198.164.127
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think AJ is good pass rusher but the only way he will be effective on the lions as a pass rusher is if they convert to a 3-4 defense or the get a defensive coordinator that will blitz 50% of the time with their linebackers. Skulker I think AJ is an amazing talent but in the 4-3 scheme the rush comes form the ends with push coming from the tackles. When you run the 4-3 linebackers normally only rush the passer 10 to 15 times a game on blitzes and that is with an aggressive coordinator. Blitzes are most effective when different positions are unleashed on the QB not the same position; you have to keep the offense guessing. But in the 4-3 scheme if a linebacker gets 5 to 7 sacks that is a great year. Now if Lions hire a coach that is going to change the scheme then maybe my stance on AJ will change.

Super_D if the best athlete is a WR at the time the Lions pick should they pick him.

Tortfeasor
Username: Tortfeasor

Post Number: 424
Posted From: 192.217.231.54
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Super_d - You are correct, neither VY nor AJ have taken a pro snap. I am talking about the fact that Texas runs a shotgun offense, and no pro team runs the shotgun exclusively. So, the question is, can VY take a snap, drop back five steps, analyze the play, and throw the ball. With the shotgun, you take out the drop back, and the play becomes much easier. Also, any pro QB coach worth his salt will force VY to change his pass delivery. How will that affect his game?

As for mobile QBs, it is not a new trend. John Elway was a "mobile" QB. The new trend is a mobile QB that doesn't think pass first, run later (Vick). Elway always tried to pass the ball until there was no other option, and that is why Elway was a champion QB. Vick, on the other hand, bails at the first sign of pressure. Sure, he will run for a few yards, but more often than not, if he scrambles he should be able to find an open receiver for a bigger chunk of yards. I think Vick would be a much better QB, as would VY, if he kept his eyes downfield as he scrambles. If a receiver is open before you hit that line, throw the damn ball. Don't just tuck it and run.

If the best athlete is another WR, do you suggest that the Lions pick him? I sure as hell don't. I think we are fine across the D-line IF Big Daddy is able to remain productive. Shaun Cody is not ready to fill that role yet. In fact, defense is not my biggest concern at all. Where we really need help is along the O-line, but we all know how our first round O-line picks have faired in Motown.

(Message edited by tortfeasor on January 06, 2006)

Darwinism

Post Number: 309
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NFL scouts and team managers hardly will decide on a linemen(both offensive or defensive) within the top 10 draft picks. So, although the greatest need for the Lions is in the offensive line, I doubt the people in charge of the Lions would select an offensive linemen.

Vince Young will indeed face challenges in the pro ranks because of the shotgun formation that he is so accustomed to. The Lions already tried out Timmy Chang who plays for a college program that runs the shotgun a whole lot. The playbook and the athletes need to integrate well across the board. So, before we even worry about draft picks, we really need to worry about the coaching staff first.

Super_d

Post Number: 501
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vick Bails-out????__ maybe opportunity presents itself to run___ People often ask what is the difference in a 5 yard run and a 5 yard pass___ Well, when you have a QB that takes that opportunity, you change the entire complexity of the defensive scheme.

Also, there is difference in a traditional mobile QB and a Running 4.3 in the 40/option QB. John Elway was a mobile QB that could buy time running out the pocket__ but one thing is fo' show, Elway never was a threat to have 359 passing and 159 yard rushing.

super d(motordetroit)

Czar

Post Number: 2816
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vick blows. McNabb and Culpepper are more complete QBs. I wish I had a dollar for every time I saw a Vick pass sail over the head of an intended receiver on a simple 7 yard pattern this season.

Darwinism

Post Number: 310
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a fascination lately with QBs who scramble for 100+ yards because it is very good entertainment material. Michael Vick packs the house each home game and the owners are happy to pay him top dollar for bringing in fans to the stands. After all, that's the bottom line of the sports franchise business. There is no doubt Vince Young will be a star somewhere before he even takes his first snap on his first gameday. Personally, I would rather wish that he stays in college for another year to finish up his education.

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 109
Posted From: 147.240.236.8
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why does he have to stay in school in order to finish up his education? He can still take courses while in the NFL. That is a tired reason to stay in school, as if you are banned from taking classes once you opt to leave.

I hope he looks at the teams that could potentially draft him. Some teams destroy the careers of draft picks! (i.e. the Lions)

Look at Matt Lienert, if he had left last year, he would have been the #1 pick. Now, #3 pick is a strong possibility and he could go to the Saints at #2 ... I don't think he made a bad decision, but I sure wouldn't want to be picked by the NO/SA/LA(?) Saints

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great point about Leinart.

If the Saints want him I bet he will ask for a trade or for some assurances about the long-term plans of the owner and the need for offensive weapons around him. Of course, I bet the Saint will take VY if he does go to the draft.

If the Texans take VY instead of Bush he could definitly continue his classes at UT if he wanted to.

Czar

Post Number: 2818
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A QB stepping in to the Saints would be in a good situation. He'd have Joe Horn and Donte Stallworth as his receivers and a healthy Deuce McCallister at RB.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of people on ESPN think that Leinart would make a big deal about wanting the Saints moved to LA. I would think that he would be above that.

Joe Horn looked great against the Li-downs, but I think Leinart would want better.

Super_d

Post Number: 502
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

earth to 'darwinism', earth to 'darwinism'!

super d(motordetroit)

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 81
Posted From: 68.77.166.98
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this really has nothing to do with anything, but since this is a football thread, Channel 7 just said Virginia Tech has "permanently suspended" Marcus Vick.

Vick boys go bust?

Tigers2005
Username: Tigers2005

Post Number: 84
Posted From: 68.61.252.136
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I would like to see the Lions do first is hire a good coach who is dedicated to having a strong running game. The Lions already have many of the pieces for a strong running attack (Tailback(s), Fullback, Tight End, a couple of decent run-blocking lineman). They need to fill holes in the line through free-agency. With the draft pick, I think that they should draft either an OL, LB or DB. There is a good possibility that they could get the best available at one of those positions with the #9 pick. I never thought that I would say this, but I think that they should keep Joey around, unless they can pick up a decent free agent. I don't think it's worth wasting a top 10 pick on a QB, it has proven to be too much of a gamble. In a strong run offense, Joey could be an adequate QB (i.e. Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh). If they place all of the burden on him, though, it will be the same old thing.

Run the ball and play defense! That's what wins.

BTW, Zulu, if you look at this season, Antonio Bass took several snaps from center for Michigan. He even threw one pass.

Super_d

Post Number: 507
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Tigers2005' is smell'n tha' cornbread!

Joey is a bust!__ face up.

super d(motordetroit)

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 84.168.92.30
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I Love how the Sports guy said that vince young's throwing motion looked like he was trying to fling poo off of his hand...

V Young is the next Akili Smith...get over it people....a poor man's vick....leinart is cade mcnown +10 yrs.....take AJ Hawk and be done with it

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 134
Posted From: 69.14.126.140
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drankin, I though it was funny that the Sports Guy compared Leinart to Scott Mitchell not once, but twice, in that same article.

But I wouldn't be that harsh on Young. Obviously he isn't going to run a hybrid option/west coast offense like he does at Texas. I wish him the best. He did a great job in the Rose Bowl--two years in a row.

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2402
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/ draft06/news/story?id=2284744

Texas quarterback declares for draft
ESPN.com news services

AUSTIN, Texas -- Vince Young is headed to the NFL.

The quarterback who led Texas to its first national championship in 36 years announced Sunday he would make himself eligible for the NFL draft.

"I thank God for the opportunity to be in this position," Young said at a news conference. "Hard work has paid off a whole lot."

Young, who led the Longhorns to a 41-38 Rose Bowl win over top-ranked Southern California on Wednesday, could have returned to Texas for his senior season and would have been a favorite to win the Heisman Trophy.

The versatile quarterback accounted for 467 yards against USC -- 200 running and 267 passing -- and ran 8 yards for the winning touchdown with 19 seconds left.

Young thanked many people, including his family and coach Mack Brown, who was at the American Football Coaches Association Convention and could not attend Sunday's news conference. He specifically thanked Brown for "helping me become a better man."

In a statement, Brown said he met with Young and his family Sunday morning and fully supports Young's decision.

"We love Vince and appreciate all the great things he's done for the University of Texas on and off the field," Brown said. "We'll miss him, but want him to do as well in the NFL as he did in college."

In his eight seasons at Texas, Brown never before has had a player leave early for the NFL.

Young ends his career at Texas with a 30-2 record -- the best in school history.

His stellar performance in the Rose Bowl increased speculation that he would leave school early and also started a debate about whether he would be the No. 1 pick in April's draft.

Young's hometown Houston Texans have the first pick. Young said it would be wonderful to play in Houston, but realizes he could wind up somewhere else.

Team and league sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that the Houston Texans will pass on Young, a Houston native, and select USC running back Reggie Bush with the No. 1 pick in the draft, pending the formality of Bush announcing that he will turn pro.

Almost nothing will change that course, the sources told Mortensen.

The Texans will pick up an $8 million option on quarterback David Carr, who was the expansion team's first draft pick four years ago. Texans owner Bob McNair made the decision after getting extensive evaluations from various sources that strongly endorsed Carr, including a favorable report from Dan Reeves, the former longtime NFL coach hired last month as a consultant.

USC's Matt Leinart, who could have been the first pick a year ago had he turned pro after his junior season, still remains the consensus top quarterback in the NFL draft. For Leinart, he is likely to be the choice of the New Orleans Saints at No. 2 with Young projected to the Tennessee Titans at No. 3.

Steve McNair, who has been mentoring Young, including a visit to watch the Rose Bowl, will be lobbying the Titans to select Young with the third pick, Mortensen reported. Of course, McNair has to re-sign with the Titans for that to happen.

Young said during the season he intended to return for a final season, but that his Rose Bowl performance "put me over the top."

Young talked over his decision with his family and said some of his advisers told him to stay at Texas to finish his degree. Considering the deadline for declaring for the draft is Jan. 15, it was clear his mind was already made up. The ultimate decision was his, Young said.

"It took a lot of praying, listening, understanding and knowing that the day was going to come," said Felicia Young, who attended her son's news conference. "Everything is all right. This is great."

Asked how he might spend some of the millions of dollars he'll earn as an NFL player, Young said, "It all depends on mama."

Young is Texas' all-time leader in total offense (9,167 yards), career touchdowns (81) and career rushing touchdowns by a quarterback (37).

This season, Young became the only player in NCAA history to pass for 3,000 yards (3,036) and rush for 1,000 (1,050) in one season. His 4,086 total yards set a school single-season record.

Young won the Davey O'Brien Award for the nation's best quarterback and the Maxwell Award for the top college football player, but came in second behind USC running back Reggie Bush in the Heisman voting.

"I feel like I accomplished everything I wanted to accomplish in college," Young said.

Though he's leaving a year early, Young emphasized his bond with Texas, saying, "I'll forever be a Longhorn."

Young's departure leaves a gaping hole to fill in the offense if Texas is to defend its title.

The only other scholarship quarterback on the roster, freshman Colt McCoy, redshirted last season and didn't take a snap. Texas expects to sign another prep standout, Jevan Snead, who plans to enroll in school this month and participate in spring drills in February.

"We have 15 starters back next year and our expectations today remain the same as before Vince's decision," Brown said. "We are defending national champions and will move forward."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2403
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I repeat my orginal statement:

Can we Draft Vince Young Now?

Super_d

Post Number: 517
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vince Young and Reggie Bush will be looooooong gone by the time the Leo's pick 8th___ unless we do some dealing___ and I would not give up any of our lower picks to move up__or I would not want to trade any of our previous number one picks ie: K.Jones, R.Williams, M.Williams to move up.(C.Rogers is another story--besides they won't get much for him)

The Lions are 1 or 2 offensive line players away from being a playoff team....they can solidify the line through free agency and low draft picks.

In otherwords, they don't need to do anything to far out the box right now.

super d(motordetroit)

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2407
Posted From: 68.251.27.41
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whom do you thing think that we will draft?

What's the priority by position?

Super_d

Post Number: 519
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Zulu_warrior' I don't follow College Football like I use to__ but I would not look no further than the 2 teams that played in the bowl championship game__the 2 teams are full of 'all american players' which could fill some holes in the lions O-line and on defense;

Jonathon Scott OL(Texas)
Taitusi Lutui OL/T(USC)
Micheal Huff Safety(Texas)
Brandon Meriweather DB(Miami)

With the 8 pick, they should be in position to draft 1 or 2 of these guys.

these picks combined with a few moves in free agency, the Lions should be able to fill the need for there O-line and D-backs.

As for QB__ I guess Joey will have to do__We are not in that bad of shape at QB like many teams are. Maybe some on else can chime in on that.(LOL)

super d(motordetroit)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.