Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Ann Arbor Still On Crime Alert « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Shave
Username: Shave

Post Number: 991
Posted From: 172.171.250.71
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man Allegedly Steals Hostess Pie At Gunpoint
Police Recover Air-Soft Handgun

POSTED: 2:40 pm EST January 3, 2006

A man accused of attempting to steal a Hostess fruit pie with an air-gun pistol at an Ann Arbor gas station was arrested by police Monday night.

A clerk at the Clark gas station on 601 S. Main St. saw the man take the fruit pie and try to conceal it at about 9 p.m., according to a report in The Ann Arbor News. The man then approached the clerk for a pack of cigarettes.

The store clerk asked the man about the fruit pie, and the man revealed a gun, the paper reported. The robber then fled the scene.

The employee notified police about the robbery and provided a description of the man. Officers then discovered a man matching the clerk's description walking on South Main Street, the paper reported.

Police recovered a black air-soft handgun, which shoots plastic pellets, in the man's possession. He was taken into custody.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/5820613/detail.html

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 769
Posted From: 68.251.225.69
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CL, please move to Detroit before the unthinkable happens!

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 411
Posted From: 70.230.229.3
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 456
Posted From: 209.240.205.61
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 2:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG, Ann Arbor is getting very very dangerous.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 749
Posted From: 69.246.13.131
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 3:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My god! You could get a potentially hurtful bruise from a soft air handgun. See, only outlaws have guns.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1490
Posted From: 4.229.132.244
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 3:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A murder a day on average in Detroit and this is what you all come up with?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 2946
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 4:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you didn't even see the humor in that, and the the total tongue-in-cheek deliveries I've lost hope in you. :-)

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3166
Posted From: 65.222.10.3
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

guy was hungry...give him a break.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1496
Posted From: 129.9.163.233
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, but that's how it starts. First its' a fruit pie, then a slurpee and pretty soon the guys stealing an entire large cake. (isn't that the broken windows theory CL's been crowing about? You need to crack down on the small crimes to prevent the big ones.)

Citylover

Post Number: 1492
Posted From: 4.229.123.163
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right on Ndavies to hell with any crime reduction.I mean why crow about a city (ny)where the transformation into the safest big city in the country was achieved by crime reduction of a very conspicuous type.........who the hell needs that?

I have a sense of humor.But this is just dumb patronization.The shtick here is that ..."Gee whiz cl crime is everywhere".... um yeah and what is the point? The obvious pathetic truth is that crime does not govern peoples lives in other places including Ann Arbor.

So you all can continue your condescending view of me I don't take it personally.And I don't have to have triple locks and iron gates on my doors either.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2212
Posted From: 66.202.227.12
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NO NO NO you are all forgetting....it is the biased media's Pro suburb/Anti Ann Arbor slam on the 'city'.

Drm

Post Number: 773
Posted From: 68.248.33.59
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And I don't have to have triple locks and iron gates on my doors either.

My neighbors and I don't either.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6351
Posted From: 198.208.159.17
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nor do I. Now I know CL likes to use the bars and locks argument but I wonder how many people in AA have alarm systems with 24 hour monitoring.

Both are viable means of protection, just one costs money every month, something many Detroiters don't have to spare.

Citylover

Post Number: 1493
Posted From: 4.229.123.253
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And many do jt1....are you with any degree of sincerity saying that houses in AA are barricaded(in any form) the way those in Detroit are? That would be(and you know it)dishonest.

I can drive down any of a hundred neighborhood streets in Detroit and hear the dogs and see the gated front doors; not one or two but dozens sometimes on all the houses.You will not find that in AA.As for alarm sytems I am sure there are some but I will say it again in other places i.e. cities etc crime does not govern peoples lives.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 2949
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, the schtick in this thread seems to be "CL, lighten up." It's unfortunate that you read something malicious into it instead of rolling with the obvious joke.

Detroitduo

Post Number: 412
Posted From: 194.138.39.54
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's OK. I like it when people are predictable.

As for Crime governing people's live in Detroit? Interesting thought, but as for me and my neighbors lives, it's not the case. In some neighborhoods in Detroit? You Betchya! Does that mean you can make a blanket statement about the City? uh... no. and oh, btw, every friend I have or have had who was or is living in Ann Arbor has had a security alarm in their house, so don't tell me there are "some". Personally, I think ANYONE, ANYWHERE in the U.S. who doesn't have a security system in their house is asking for trouble. Crime happens everywhere. Even in Barden Hills. *gasp*

OH and the only time I have ever seen violent street shooting was in Ann Arbor. Does that mean I will talk crap about AA's crime and say I will NEVER go there again? No.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9703
Posted From: 64.118.137.228
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Triple locks and iron gates? LMAO Thats a good one.

Citylover

Post Number: 1496
Posted From: 4.229.123.136
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have seen it SS.........

DD once again there is simply no comparing the crime in Detroit to crime in AA to do so even based on your anecdotal experience is dishonest......I am curious as to what "violent street shooting " you witnessed.

Drm

Post Number: 777
Posted From: 68.77.163.2
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crime governs my life:

-- I use a firewall, anti-spyware and anti-virus to protect my computer from being taken over by trojans

-- I limit my use of credit cards and shred my garbage to protect myself from identity theft

-- I use encryption on my wireless router to provent someone from stealing my bandwidth or hacking into my LAN

Does crime govern anyone else's life?

Jt1

Post Number: 6356
Posted From: 198.208.159.17
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cl - I don't understand:

You state that crime is so rampant in Detroit that nobody is safe. Based upon that I am guessing that you are not venturing upto many houses. So how do you get this triple lock theory?

Cite neighborhoods so we can see if you are making shit up or just identifying specific areas. I know it is easy for you to make the city one even distribution of crime. That is completely off base so I would like to know of the bars/triple lock neighborhoods so I we can gauge where you are talking about.

Detroitduo

Post Number: 413
Posted From: 194.138.39.53
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CL. I lived in AA for 4 years.
My story: One saturday evening at midnight I was hanging with friends at Cafe Royale on State street. We decided to go walk the streets, because it was a nice warm evening. There were many groups of teens and others also walking around and congregating. We turned the corner onto Washington when we heard a gun shot and saw a guy running across the street and from where he was running another guy fallen to the ground, screaming (we later learned he had been shot). We took off into the Diag to find an emergency phone when from behind us, a guy was being chased by another wielding an ax.

I think it's funny that you disbelieve that anything like this can happen in Ann Arbor. My friends and I didn't go out in the City for a while after that, but I'm over it. Also, I can tell you at least 3 stories of friends who were severely gaybashed in Ann Arbor.

Your superior attitude that AA is a perfect town sickens me. Your inability to admit that anything bad happens in Ann Arbor, just as it does in Detroit, sickens me.

I am simply trying to share experiences I had in AA, which I have not had in Detroit. Do I believe it doesn't happen in Detroit, too? no, that's ignorant. But for you to doubt my story and patronise me with your arrogance is disgusting. I am trying to make a point that the crime you complain about happening in Detroit, also happens in Ann Arbor, albeit on a smaller scale. While we are realistic in Detroit, maybe you need to take your rose-colored glasses off in Ann Arbor.

Citylover

Post Number: 1497
Posted From: 4.229.123.136
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Duo I am commenting on the nature of this particular thread.I have never said people should not live in Detroit or that people should not go to Detroit.I am commenting on the idiocy of the premise of this thread and that premise being that somehow crime in aa as brought up in this thread is somehow not much different than crime in Detroit........that is not true.

I have had experiences in aa and detroit but that does not mean that I believe that crime is about the same in both cities I know it is not.Btw I was jus curious about your experience because, and this makes my point, such a thing is an extremely unusual occurence in aa_ in some detroit neighborhoods it is common to hear gunshots.You point out that the crime that happens in Detroit also happens in AA.But the degree or frequency of crime happens so much more in Detroit to make that(frequency)a pertinent issue.

As for crime governing peoples lives in Detroit it has been going on for a very long time.

Businesses have closed forcing people to go outside the city to purchase things.

Hundreds of thousands of people have left Detroit because of crime.

Insurance rates are higher in part because of crime.

Until recently there were no movie theaters in the city the norwest closed citing crime as the reason.....I know there are two theaters now.

The kroger on gratiot closed(crime) after only being open a short time forcing the people in that area to go elsewhere to grocery shop.

Any city that has an average of a murder a day imo; citizens are governed by crime.

Just rememeber I am commenting on this thread and how dumb it is to compare crime in Detroit to crime in AA .

Supersport

Post Number: 9704
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DRM,

Door dings. As mentioned before, the most violent crime against me was a door ding while living at riverfront towers. I was very upset and it was the driving factor in my moving out of there, I no longer felt safe parking my vehicle there. For other protection against crime I too use a firewall, anti-spam software, and a shredder too.

CL,

As far as the triple locks go, I've forgot to lock my doors a handful of times at my house, only to arrive home and all my shit is still there. Go figure.

Detroitduo

Post Number: 414
Posted From: 194.138.39.53
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, SS... What's your address? :-)

Lmichigan

Post Number: 2952
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guys, why are you wasting your time with aneqdotes, and trying to be rational with CL? He's lived long enough, and set in his ways. We'd all be better off piling on the jokes instead of all of the "well, I don't live as slave to a crime-filled society." You could give your own personal stories for years, he's been convinced otherwise, and nothing is going to change that. Your attempts are futile.

Citylover

Post Number: 1498
Posted From: 4.229.123.69
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Convinced of what lmich? I don't think it is a matter of being convinced but rather a matter of overwhelming evididence.

Drm

Post Number: 779
Posted From: 68.248.16.34
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Citylover, just be careful out there.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8008
Posted From: 64.228.198.222
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CL, it is just a ploy to dismiss the rampant crime in Detroit. They focus on another city so that people don't scrutinize their own. This is a tactic of many who have failed in their argument or debate....just let it ride as most know the real truth. AA ain't got schitt compared to Detroit in terms of crime.

If we want to put a positive spin on this thread take a look at Detroit's crime rate, has fallen again and that's great news. Continue down that path and Detroit can claim thay have slain the beast so to speak. Another good thing is Detroit is now the 15th fattest city in the USA a drop from, I believe 3rd place.

Why is it that some have to bash another persons place of residence to make themselves feel good?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2140
Posted From: 66.167.58.137
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DRM, don't worry about CL; he's been on the mean streets of Detroit so he is ready for the new AA.

Goat you make good points but compared to most Canadian cities AA is crime-ridden. And look at all the fuss your PM candidates are making over that. Imagine if they were running for mayor of AA; it would be their only issue.

Citylover

Post Number: 1503
Posted From: 4.229.123.146
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, how can I put this tactfully?...........what you just wrote is a bunch of complete bullshit.

Ann Arbor is a safe city with little crime.So if Ann Arbor were in Canada or Switzerland or Austria it would still be a safe city.

Nice try at getting your little digs in but transparent as hell.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8013
Posted From: 64.228.198.222
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the idea of teh politicians making a fuss over crime. We Canadians don't take it lightly in the least and it is good that they are at least squawking about it. If we had become indifferent I'm sure the crime rate would be wrose than it is. Better to nip it in the bud then to let it grow.

Personally, I still don't see AA's crime as being that bad. In fact, I think it is better than Windsor's. Could someone post AA's crime stats for last year? I believe that CL said they had only 1 murder last year whereas Windsor had 5.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 981
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isnt windsor a much bigger city though with alot more going on? And dont canadians think that Windsor is one of the more "Dangerous" cities in that country?

Supersport

Post Number: 9712
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CL,

I have heard that Ann Arbor is becoming dangerous as of late, what is your opinion on this matter? :-)

Citylover

Post Number: 1504
Posted From: 4.229.123.115
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is much bigger(Windsor) but there is not a lot more going on because there is a lot going on in Ann Arbor all the time.

Goat if you go to mlive.com you can see the crime stats for AA in todays AA news.There were 0 murders in AA last year however other crime is up but.........and this is pertinent.......not to the point not even close to the point of altering how we live here.

Supersport

Post Number: 9716
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

There were 0 murders in AA last year however other crime is up

Well, I'm glad we FINALLY saw the light and fessed up.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 343
Posted From: 71.10.63.140
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CL, Crime in AA is up?!? good god, i suppose I better move out of Brighton then, thats probably too close to AA, and I wouldnt want those thugs movin up to brighton!

:-)

The only crime i have experienced was on my first trip to Chicago, none in the D!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3622
Posted From: 207.74.111.72
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like Ann Arbor has become the MOST dangerous city in America.

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 345
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

more likely the most dangerous city in the WORLD

haha

Citylover

Post Number: 1505
Posted From: 4.229.123.115
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well well well motorcity mayor 2026 instead of responding to your age appropriate post I suggest you use the internet to research Rudy Guliani and his tenure as Mayor of New York and how crime reduction turned that city around; it might help you when you become Mayor.

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 346
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ohh, citylover, im a step ahead, I know all about Rudy in NY...

maybe you should learn his tactics so u can turn around crime ridden AA! :-)

Lmichigan

Post Number: 2973
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is getting painful to watch. lol CL, you'd do so much better with taking the joke and turning it back around. Every serious response to the jabs and jest just leave more fodder for the joksters.

Citylover

Post Number: 1506
Posted From: 4.229.132.233
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I thought they could take it Lmich.......but to turn this around would be too damn easy bordering on sadistic.

Drm

Post Number: 786
Posted From: 68.77.160.94
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like Ann Arbor's crime is spreading to its suburbs...

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060113/U PDATE/601130449

Citylover

Post Number: 1517
Posted From: 4.229.126.71
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Drm, hope all is well.By the way Belleville is in Wayne county and is more likely to be a Detroit suburb

Detroitduo

Post Number: 421
Posted From: 68.250.175.117
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, counties now determine a suburb? Interesting...
So, that would mean that Warren, being in Macomb County, is not a suburb of Detroit?

Citylover

Post Number: 1518
Posted From: 4.229.126.71
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I said more likely.And Belleville has much more to make it a Detroit suburb i.e. economy, proximity, employment etc.

As for Warren I am sure they would love to not be a suburb of Detroit.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 594
Posted From: 68.73.52.22
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and Detroit would prefer that, as well...

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 465
Posted From: 69.212.169.194
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The whole premise that AA and Detroit can be compared is ridiculous. One is a major Metropolitan hub, the other is a college town with a few companies.

Next, lets compare the crime rate of Harrison Twp with Detroit, citing how nice it is to walk around Harrison and how the booming boating industry makes it a better place than Detroit.

Detroit should be compared with other urban locales such as Chicago, New York, St Louis, LA, etc... not a college town that people from the actual city commute to/from.

Citylover

Post Number: 1519
Posted From: 4.229.126.192
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The actual city out here is Ann Arbor E.D. and we don't have much of a need to commute .

Supersport

Post Number: 9792
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WHEN WILL THE VIOLENCE STOP?

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/6372026/detail.html

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 104
Posted From: 141.213.196.136
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ Supersport, I'm afraid you need to read. There was no violence in the article, because the victim complied upon seeing the gun. Of course, it could have been one of those air guns.

This article isn't suprising. People get robbed of much more expensive things like computers and electronics.

Citylover

Post Number: 1575
Posted From: 4.229.123.251
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any crime or incident where a gun is involved is a violent one.But I am suspicious of this story.

Why would the victims tennis shoes be taken? or other articles of clothing? and 4:30am too that is suspcious as well.......4th ave at that time is not gonna have any people so if I were out at that time I would likely avoid anyone else....
My guess is that he was drunk maybe trolling for men or getting burned on a drug deal.These things do happen in AA but this story is a bit "funny".

The ironic thing is that ch 4 thinks it is neccesary to report this .AA has an average of maybe 10-12 robberies per mo armed an unarmed.....

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3075
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, when something like this happens in Ann Arbor we can simply explain the story away and deem the report "funny?" You've never heard of anyone getting robbed of clothes and/or money? And where has you live again? A guy got robbed; simple as that. If this would have happened in Detroit you wouldn't have been suspcious at all.

(Message edited by lmichigan on January 24, 2006)

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 817
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to work a block down from that location and, having been held up at gunpoint at that job, see nothing suspicious or "funny" about that story at all.

Yes, there are people out at 4:30 a.m. - our biz was 24 hours, the newspapers and dairy deliveries always came before 6 a.m., and we had many late night regulars stop by on their way home after locking up their restaurants & bars (along with the streetsweepers, plow drivers, cab drivers, tow truck drivers, early risers on their way to work, etc.). I also used to row for the Univ. and that's the time we'd be heading to the river for morning practice, either for a row or a run.

Wolverine

Post Number: 105
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 2:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would actually argue that there are probably more robberies per month than you think since many dipshits who live around the Packard area think it's a great idea to leave their doors unlocked, and then go crying to police when their stuff turns up missing, then couple that with instances around campus, although there are few.

These robberies are about as silly as the incident in post 1 of this thread. Some can be avoided, a lot are hardly all that dangerous.

Citylover

Post Number: 1576
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 2:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those are burglaries Wolverine.I should have said reported robberies.Burglaries are a different matter and because of the dipshits, as you put it leaving doors unlocked the overwhelming crime in AA is burglaries from unlocked houses and apts.

L'pup you must have worked at one of the gas stations main/williams or main/madison.... and I am not saying shit does not happen only that this story seems a bit suspect.........why exactly was this guy out at 4am? bars are long closed there are no stores in the immediate area that are open....his shoes and other clothing are taken after he "walks" to a inconspicuous area with the robber?......sounds fishy

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3076
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 3:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does it really matter? When you consider that most crime is not random, he may have very well have been involved in something shady himself and got robbed because of it. But that happens in most crimes be they in Detroit or Ann Arbor. A crime is still a crime. I don't see what is so suspiciouos about this one? The man was robbed, and that's no joke. Now, that's completely different than arguing what it means in the main scheme of things, but for you to continue to try and twist and tangle a pretty clear-cut example of crime just seems so typical of you...unless it is Detroit, of course, where all crimes are simple and expected, right? Seriously, I'm genuinely confused as to why you are trying to explain this away. From your post all I can see you saying is "well, it looks like he should have been a victim of a crime because he was asking for it."

Citylover

Post Number: 1577
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 3:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just saying this one particular story sounds suspect Lmich.......about a year and a half ago or so a gas station employee was shot and killed aby an armed robber who stole the employees car.....he (the robber) was from Detroit.I did not question the accuracy or truth of that incident.

No one deserves to be a victim of crime Lmich but there are times when individuals put themselves in harms way..............why was this guy out at 4am?

The kind of crime you see in Detroit i.e. carjackings where the victim is shot needlessly even after surrendering you just don't see in AA and the volume of crime is in another galaxy...

Jt1

Post Number: 6528
Posted From: 198.208.159.20
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ sports/6429046/detail.html

Super Bowl Sculpture Stolen From Ann Arbor Street

----------------

Someone bump the record player

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 754
Posted From: 68.60.139.54
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/6435748/detail.html

Supersport

Post Number: 9803
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shit is just getting outta hand in Ann Arbor.

Julie
Username: Julie

Post Number: 37
Posted From: 66.178.218.40
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems that Hostess pie stealing is a gateway crime.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4649
Posted From: 141.213.175.233
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 2:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll tell you who needs to be on crime alert tonight. East Lansing. Sparty drops a tough one, and the couches find a way to torch themselves.

Go Blue. Fun night at Crisler.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 788
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/6469306/detail.html

Citylover

Post Number: 1583
Posted From: 4.229.132.83
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

......and in Detroit today a man was found beaten to death in a car........ good thing it aint as bad as Ann Arbor.............assholes

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2351
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn someone seems awfully defensive right...

Supersport

Post Number: 9810
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CL,

I don't believe you unless you post a link.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3104
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol! This is so ridiculous on so many levels. I'm still completely baffled by how CL could be taking this all so seriously. lol He's the easiest person to goad.

Ann Arbor sucks!

*now dance, my puppet, dance* :-)

Citylover

Post Number: 1584
Posted From: 4.229.123.163
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why bother SS? It was on the ch 7 t.v. news this am ......"Man found dead in a car it appears he was beaten to death"....... I mean is it really that far fetched of an idea when there were about 340+ murders in Detroit in 2005?

Lmich I have a great sense of humor.This shit is pedestrian and frankly boring in the worst way.
I gotta wonder why people on this forum keep this stupid thread going.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 818
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

because you find it impossible to ignore

English
Username: English

Post Number: 482
Posted From: 69.221.74.124
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is hilarious.

I was at Agave yesterday afternoon. Told someone I lived in Ann Arbor and their eyes lit up... "how do you like it?", as if they were expecting me to gush.

I said, "Actually, I experienced ZERO personal crime when I lived in Detroit's CBD and my old neighborhood... but in the eight months that I've been in A2, I've experienced two personal thefts, my car was in its first accident EVER, and I was racially profiled. I plan to move back to the D ASAP in mid-2007... you can HAVE 'Tree Town!'"

Jt1

Post Number: 6582
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How long until the broken record player dismisses English's own personal experiences.

English - Detroit is looking forward to having you back.

Tielerh11
Username: Tielerh11

Post Number: 50
Posted From: 69.216.102.204
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank God I'm moving to East Lansing in the fall...

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2376
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMBAO...

Damn normally when I find something boring I just ignore it...

LOL

The_aram

Post Number: 4653
Posted From: 141.211.120.88
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

you can HAVE 'Tree Town!'"

Thanks. I'll keep enjoying it. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Your condescending, holier-than-thou, negative attitude about Ann Arbor will not be missed. It's clear that if you really don't want to live somewhere, you'll find anything you can to criticize it. It's funny, when someone says similar things about living in Detroit, people like you would be all over them in a heartbeat.

How were you racially profiled? Prove it. Also, how is it Ann Arbor's fault that you got in your first car accident?

Supersport

Post Number: 9831
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English,

Be careful over there, as I'm sure you're counting down the days until you can return to your safezone. :-)

Jt1

Post Number: 6587
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here Aram let's rephrase for you:

You can have Detroit. - CL

From Aram:

Thanks. I'll keep enjoying it. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Your condescending, holier-than-thou, negative attitude about Detroit will not be missed. It's clear that if you really don't want to live somewhere, you'll find anything you can to criticize it. It's funny, when someone says similar things about living in Ann Arbor, people like you would be all over them in a heartbeat.
----------------------------

Can you post that in the future or do you only get defensive when people mock AA?

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2378
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aram what you are not getting is not so much as we are saying anything negative about AA as much as they are really giving CL a taste of what we have been experiencing from him since he(or at least as long as some of us have been on here) has been on this forum...

We all know that crime runs rampant everywhere but CL has always seemed to make it seem as if Detroit is this big war zone that knows nothing but crime while AA is this little slice of heaven on earth where life seems to be worth living...

Personally, I am enjoying seeing CL with his back on the ropes...

The_aram

Post Number: 4654
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D_stylin, I get the joke. And I find it just as funny as the rest of you guys.

I just find English's attitude and observations about Ann Arbor to be sort of puzzling.

Jt1, nice work.

Jt1

Post Number: 6597
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No problem - coming from someone who likes AA.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2384
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But on the same token Aram it's no less condescending from CL than it is coming from English and believe me I have been seeing it for the better part of more than seven years...

Boshna
Username: Boshna

Post Number: 120
Posted From: 141.213.217.188
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last night, while coming out of the new Palmer parking structure in Ann Arbor (in the science complex), I ran into a group of people doing coke and dealing various things in a stairwell. I was threatened violently, and pretty much just booked it. I called DPS to report the incident. They didn't seem very interested, and questioned the credibility of my story. This was a first for me. . .

Jt1

Post Number: 6621
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boshna - They didn't quetion your story because it was your fault for being there. I question the truth behind the story and think that it was a deal that went bad and you brought it on yourself since that would not happen if you didn't have a major involvement in it.

Guess who I am imitating.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2395
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol Jt1...

I guess CL WOULD know about things like that since he was a such large contributor to that unfortunatly successful part of Detroit's 'economy'...

English
Username: English

Post Number: 483
Posted From: 70.237.10.228
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laughing @ CL, and then ignoring him...

To the rest: Sure, Ann Arbor isn't the deep South pre-Civil Rights. It's just a very, very strange place. It's weird, man. Sort of like the twilight zone. There's something oddly--not Stepford? but sort of that same sort of social engineering--about this place.

Different strokes for different folks. I like blue-collar places. My favorite of the SE Michigan counties is Wayne, and I really liked the folks in Pittsburgh when I visited in November (so happy this will be Steelers country all week!). I like down-to-earth hardworking people with common sense. I am in the wrong town. No biggie... I plan to get what I came up here for, and then return to the D posthaste.

Citylover

Post Number: 1600
Posted From: 4.229.126.147
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good for you English.You get what you need and then go if that is what you want.Different strokes for different folks.

The_aram

Post Number: 4658
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I called DPS

lol

the DPS officers are too busy going door-to-door in the dorms handing out "Personal Safety Inventory" sheets for us to fill out documenting our stuff in case it gets stolen. i have no idea why they do it now instead of in September, apparently stuff only gets stolen in the winter... i laughed when the sorry excuse for an officer showed up to my room and handed me mine. it's funny, he was laughing just as much as he was forking them over.

Wolverine

Post Number: 115
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I got one of those, but I never filled it out since all of my stuff is already insured.

Boshna, there's a DPS office in the Palmer Parking Complex, they were probably involved in this incicdent if you know what I mean. Shady I tell you.

DPS is useless. I called them when some idiot locked their bike to my bike with their cable lock. They said they could do nothing about it unless the other owner was there. I informed the idiot that if the other owner was there, I'd have he or she unlock their bike for me. After a long silence, he told me their was nothing I could do about it and would have to wait. 2 weeks later I didn't feel like waiting anymore to retrieve my property. I got one of those tree branch cutters out of unlocked storage room in my residence hall and cut their lock off. Interesting thing was, I did it all on a security camera, and it could have looked like a crime was going on. But nothing ever came out of it. Ridiculous.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 491
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

String of thefts stings Ann Arbor
Burglary streak rivals winter recess in number of break-ins

http://www.michigandaily.com/m edia/paper851/news/2006/02/15/ News/String.Of.Thefts.Stings.A nn.Arbor-1613928.shtml?norewri te&sourcedomain=www.michiganda ily.com

Just couldn't let this thread die. :-)

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2284
Posted From: 66.167.211.50
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! The Michigan Daily describes it as a "torrent or thefts"

quote:

A torrent of thefts struck Ann Arbor Monday night. Six break-ins and two attempted break-ins were reported to police.

Nine home invasions occurred over the last three days. The large number of burglaries this week is comparable to the outbreak over winter break, when 15 were reported.

Does anyone know where AA ranks in relation to other suburbs crime rates?

Jt1

Post Number: 6776
Posted From: 198.208.251.24
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pick some suburbs and I will compare.

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3561
Posted From: 67.103.104.93
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I called them when some idiot locked their bike to my bike with their cable lock. They said they could do nothing about it unless the other owner was there. I informed the idiot that if the other owner was there, I'd have he or she unlock their bike for me. After a long silence, he told me their was nothing I could do about it and would have to wait. 2 weeks later I didn't feel like waiting anymore to retrieve my property. I got one of those tree branch cutters out of unlocked storage room in my residence hall and cut their lock off. Interesting thing was, I did it all on a security camera, and it could have looked like a crime was going on.

Hail to the Leaders and the Best...LOL

Jt1

Post Number: 6777
Posted From: 198.208.251.24
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From 2004 (I tried to cut out just the main Detroit suburbs but may have missed some and left others in). This is for property crime only, not violent crime. I can obviously do property crime as well s total crime (The rates are for crimes / 100,000 residents):

One thing to bear in mind is whether there is different reporting for UM crimes and AA crimes. I do not know myself.

Rate/100k City
9294.8 Harper Woods
6279.3 Detroit3
6091.4 Auburn Hills
5050.4 Dearborn
4830.5 Ypsilanti
4809.6 Romulus
4562.2 Southgate
4560.1 Southfield
4550.7 Roseville
4422.4 Taylor
4390.6 Wayne
4360.9 Lincoln Park
4249.7 Pontiac
3931.1 Eastpointe
3891.4 Mount Clemens
3762.8 Madison Heights
3619.8 Wixom
3618.2 Inkster
3553.4 Oak Park
3519.8 Hazel Park
3338.1 Redford Township
3234.8 Ferndale
2977.0 Monroe
2940.1 Westland
2894.1 Fraser
2796.9 Novi
2702.2 Ann Arbor
2698.7 Grosse Pointe Park
2658.1 Dearborn Heights
2611.5 Birmingham
2588.8 Allen Park
2538.2 Fenton
2495.1 Mount Pleasant
2366.8 Troy
2343.6 Royal Oak
2318.4 Livonia3
2305.3 Huron Township
2293.9 Farmington
2291.1 Northville Township
2261.6 Sterling Heights
2203.4 Ionia
2192.0 Waterford Township
2180.9 Riverview
2153.1 Clinton Township
2128.7 Garden City
2022.7 St. Clair Shores
2016.4 Farmington Hills
1899.4 Melvindale
1887.9 Bloomfield Township
1735.9 Canton Township
1651.2 Trenton
1601.1 South Lyon
1569.6 Clawson
1565.9 Chesterfield Township
1499.6 Plymouth Township
1499.3 Shelby Township
1284.3 Rochester
1197.0 Berkley
1152.0 Beverly Hills
1103.4 Grosse Pointe Woods
989.9 West Bloomfield Township
0.0 Warren3

Warren does not report auto thefts so their numbers don't count.

The_aram

Post Number: 4688
Posted From: 68.41.124.8
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm not sure how crime would be calculated between the AAPD's jurisdiction and the UM Department of Public Safety jurisdiction. There are distinct territories that are patrolled by each, so i'm really not sure if those are combined in the end or not. i would assume they would be. that's something i would be interested to know the answer to.

Global_village
Username: Global_village

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 139.168.120.246
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 5:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Er, so they caught the guy. Did they ever get the Hostess Pie back?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.