Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » New Year Gunfire Celebrations!?! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Treez4brkfst
Username: Treez4brkfst

Post Number: 83
Posted From: 68.248.73.37
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 3:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I sit here wondering why I have some many windows on the first level of my hojme, I woulc like to state that the gunfire on the new year has got to be the most ignorant backwards self-defeating shit that we do in this area. I lived in Detroit, Dearborn, and Deaborn Hgts and its all the same. Can anybody else attest to random funfire in their communities???

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 2909
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 3:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I remember right, it's a cultural tradition from the rural south. And, being that many in the area can trace their roots back to the south, I guess it's just an antiquated holdover. I could be totally wrong, though. :-)

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1249
Posted From: 208.54.15.129
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 4:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good times with the gunfire ... my brother's finace had the windows shot out of her car while parked in the driveway 1/2 mile from the Detroit border in Harper Woods. With a 3 year old and a 6 year old sleeping in the house right behind it.

Needless to say, it won't be long before they are in Oakland county and a good distance from the Detroit border.

Frankly, I don't blame them. I'm pretty much at my limit with the Detroit bullshit.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1250
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 4:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, just to clarify, this was about two hours ago.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9667
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 4:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dial4hipster,

You sound like the biggest pussy I've ever hear of, sounds like if runs in your blood too. Where I grew up you heard gunfire year round. I find it hilarious how all you urban folk find it threatening! I'm hearing gunfire even as I type this, go figure.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 2912
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 5:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That may be normal for Detroit, but in no way is it acceptable. When we were small children, my mom would have us do "gun drills." We would have to drop to the floor and crawl to the bathroom. Our townhouse, when we left, was riddled with bullet holes. That's not normal (maybe for Detroit), nor is what people should just accept.

Now, we may be talking New Years night, here, but people have been killed by stray celebratory gunfire. It's nothing to make light of.

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 73
Posted From: 220.231.76.3
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 5:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How was the level of gunfire in east Dearborn this year? When I see jubliant souls in the Middle East firing weapons into the air I wonder if it ever "struck them" that ammo that goes up must come down. It's a strange ritual that strikes of exhibiting male self-image problems.

Dfdems
Username: Dfdems

Post Number: 63
Posted From: 70.236.164.126
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 5:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just so you feel better. I had to work last year on New Years. About 10 minutes before midnight we cruised about a mile out of the city as did most everyone else. They didn't dispatch calls during that time until about 10 minutes after midnight. Those units stuck on scenes do their best to get the hell off of them and to the hospital. For some reason people like to shoot at them on New Years.

I guess the point of my story is that had you been in the position to have to call 911 for a medical emergency chances are they are not coming until 10 or so after midnight. Here is a link to some audio that was emailed to me earlier this year of two units that got caught out around midnight last year, one leaving the scene with their patient because it was a hostile scene and one leaving after a patient refusal with heavy gunfire in the area.

http://www.ghettomedic.com/for um/showthread.php?t=277

http://www.ghettomedic.com/for um/showthread.php?t=279

Stay safe, stay low.

Mike
Detroit EMS

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1389
Posted From: 69.212.58.13
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 7:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This tradition does occur in other cities as well. I was in Chicago on one New Year's Eve and heard tons of gun fire, much like that here in Detroit.

(Message edited by royce on January 01, 2006)

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1251
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Sporto, just to clarify, I am more pussy than you'll ever have. Fucktard.

I am talking about a car sitting 20 feet or less in front of a bedroom, and this car getting riddled with bullets.

I can't wait for the day they find you stowed away in some alley off Grand River with a sock in your mouth and blood on your ass. You and your cavalier little attitude about acceptable levels of violence have got it coming.

Arab_guyumich
Username: Arab_guyumich

Post Number: 716
Posted From: 24.192.47.93
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Al_t_publican wrote:

quote:

How was the level of gunfire in east Dearborn this year? When I see jubliant souls in the Middle East firing weapons into the air I wonder if it ever "struck them" that ammo that goes up must come down. It's a strange ritual that strikes of exhibiting male self-image problems.

Al_t_publican, you sound like a Red-state fan. You're really in no position to lecture the Middle East about the folly of celebratory gunfire. The practice is as widespread in Kentucky as it is in Iraq...but I'm not going to make categorical statements about hillbillies having "male self-image problems" because I'm perfectly happy with my self-image, so I don't feel your urge to throw out inflammatory comments in order to garner attention to myself. Go back to Little Green Footballs with your rubbish.

Oh, and there were no reports of shootings in East Dearborn last night. In any case, I doubt that you've ever been to East Dearborn outside of Cedarland.

(Message edited by arab_guyumich on January 01, 2006)

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 563
Posted From: 69.215.76.206
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We used to listen to gunfire in Westland! Why do some of you act as if this is only happening in Detroit?! In terms of sheer volume, sure, Detroit wins by default.

Lmichigan has it right - it's a tradition with Southern roots. It seems that the communities settled over the years by rural Southerners are more prone to New Year's gunfire. Over the years I've known it to occur in Westland, Wayne, Taylor, Ecorse, Trenton, Romulus, River Rouge, Inkster, Ypsi, and rural Ann Arbor! God knows it's probably going on elsewhere!

BTW, Dialh4hipster, why do you assume that the bullets came from Detroit? Why couldn't they have come from Harper Woods? It doesn't at all matter - I'm glad your family was not hurt - just curious, though.

The bottom line is that "celebratory gunfire" is unacceptable wherever it happens. Any suggestions as to how we fix it?

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 221
Posted From: 68.43.81.191
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Discharging a firearm in public is a crime. It's not acceptable, it should not be condoned or excused, and even ONE shot is too many in my opinion. Playing it off as "normal" only does a disservice to those folks who cowered down in fear away from their windows shortly before the ball dropped, because they knew what to expect.

As far as ways to stop it, how about this? Any one committing a gun crime gets an automatic 10 years in prison, that would include brandishing in public, carrying without a CCW, and intentionally discharging a firearm in a residential neighborhood.

Hubrez
Username: Hubrez

Post Number: 39
Posted From: 205.188.116.201
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in Hubbard-Richard. I must be getting old, since I was asleep at midnight. But, I did wake up to see Dick Clark....and the sound of gunfire. I live 2 BLOCKS from the Third Precint.
I swear I heard continues gunfire for 15 minutes.
It was like a war movie..every 10 seconds, shots..then more shots.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3155
Posted From: 70.236.161.35
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find it hard to tell the difference between the sound of gunfire and the sound of a firecracker.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 716
Posted From: 68.255.242.100
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whole lot of gunfire last night in the north cass area....went on for like 20 minutes i swear. heard a lot of automatic fire as well...with a few firecracker sounds in between, and a few LARGE explosions

gunfire sounds way more "precise" than firecrackers, in the pitch and in the pauses between rounds.

btw, my girl tells me that on every new year in phoenix there are warnings on tv about celebratory gunfire and the harm it can cause, so its not just a metro detroit thing. though i don't remember experiencing much in western ny state where i'm from lol

isolated or not, its fucking dumB.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 428
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't look like Detroit was the most dangerous place to be this New Year's Eve...

Ten people shot as parties get out of hand in the new year

WARREN, Mich. (AP) -- At least 10 people were shot early in the new year as celebrations got out of hand in three Michigan cities.

The most serious incident occurred in Warren, where two men were in critical condition after being shot on the dance floor of a party hall on Eight Mile Road, police said. A woman also was hit by gunfire, but she was treated at a hospital and released.

In Kalamazoo, six people were shot during a party at a hotel on Sprinkle Road. None of the injuries was life-threatening, police said.

And Saginaw police are trying to figure out who fired a stray bullet into the air that ended up hitting a man as he tried to set off fireworks.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/s tories/M/MI_HOLIDAY_SHOOTINGS_ MIOL-?SITE=MIDTN&SECTION=HOME& TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 429
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I subscribe to the Chris Rock logic of gun control. "Make a bullet cost $10,000 and there won't be anymore innocent bystanders." I'd also think that random New Year's Eve shots would also cease if ammo was more expensive.

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 169
Posted From: 69.212.224.7
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East dearborn was fine, all the AKs were going off way on the west side of detroit border past Joy road.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 168
Posted From: 207.200.116.134
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"all the AKs were going off way on the west side of detroit border past Joy road."

Ut, oh.....Jjaba....U ok???? :-)

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1252
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Eric_c - obviously the bullets did come from HW but it's a relatively new thing there. The reaction to move away from there and further out makes sense since, well, you don't really read about this NYE shit happening all over the OC much, do you?

Honestly, I don't give a shit about the shooting in the air thing although it's frankly a bit barbaric. But whatever.

I do draw the line when it becomes vandalism or endangerment. It just makes me sad, because I have seen my brother become increasingly disenchanted with Detroit over the years. This is a guy who used to live in Eastern Market ten years ago, but now he's got a family and just won't put up with the bullshit I will (and many others on here will).

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 5313
Posted From: 69.220.233.99
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many moons ago in Chicago a friend and his wife bought a bar for the night for a large New Year's party...I was in one of my moods, not wanting to be in public...so when midnight came around I ran the gauntlet and bid my adieu and stepped outside the back door...right into a scene from a bad war movie, the cachophany of explosions was enough to shock ANYONE into attention.

Even in handgun-tight Chitown twelve years ago they had the SAME stupid ammo-wasting life-threatening tradition.

So I turned around and stepped back into the bar...then my friend introduced me to the marvelous immediate healing effects of the elixir known as Jagermeister.

One shot and my mood turned 180-degrees...that stuff NEVER ceases to amaze me.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 5314
Posted From: 69.220.233.99
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dial,

I'm glad your sister-in-law and the kids are OK.

John

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 15
Posted From: 68.2.191.57
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's supposedly a technology to quickly locate the origin of gunshots: http://www.shotspotter.com/ .

I doubt it could cope with urban acoustic reflections though.

Supersport

Post Number: 9670
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMAO...boy, was I in rare form at 3 am last night, eh Hipster? Sorry about that, I can only blame it on having known Rasputin and a bit of his influence rubbed off on me. After rereading what you wrote, it is definately no laughing matter.

Even so, I'm still listening to gun fire even right now. Somebody just fired off a few more rounds, been hearing it all day.

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 764
Posted From: 68.248.54.181
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was recently told by a Vegas native that this stupid "tradition" has become more widespread in Las Vegas with the influx of people from other areas. This person claims that 10 years ago you would never hear gunshots on NYE but that now it's become common.

Anyway, just wanted to reiterate that it ain't just the Detroit area. This country has plenty of morons to go around.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 933
Posted From: 69.214.190.39
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For what it's worth, it appears that the city & police dept are not completely apathetic to the issue. Still, it would be better to hear about a targetted police strategy to fight this.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20051231/NEW S01/512310338

quote:

CELEBRATING 2006: Let's hear it for some hugs instead of guns

Police chief, teens promote safe new year
December 31, 2005
BY BEN SCHMITT

It's a long-standing Detroit new year tradition: The clock strikes midnight and gunfire erupts all over the city.

But Detroit Police Chief Ella Bully-Cummings and a group of teens want it to stop.

"You should not want our children, your families, ringing in this new year laying on the floor because they are afraid of being hit by stray bullets," Bully-Cummings said Friday. "We need for people to change the mind-set."

Bully-Cummings said she opened the door to her Detroit home last Jan. 1 and heard automatic gunfire.

And last New Year's Day, a reveler was arrested for allegedly firing a sawed-off shotgun into the air while standing on the porch of a house on the city's east side.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 1919
Posted From: 130.132.177.245
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

could be worse ...
400 vehicles torched in France
Rowdy revelers in France torched 425 vehicles overnight in scattered New Year's Eve unrest that has become an annual problem ... Last year, 333 cars were burned. ...

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 115
Posted From: 68.61.55.140
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city could always just promote a "shotgun only" policy. Can't hurt much (other than a few birds) firing shotguns in the air.

Old_southwest
Username: Old_southwest

Post Number: 93
Posted From: 67.149.72.160
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was plenty of gunfire in Plymouth last night. It's not just a Detroit thing.

When I still lived in Southwest Detroit we would participate in the tradition as well. You could hear the buckshot raining down and hitting the trees and roofs. Of course a few cocktails helped us justify that it was OK. We always aimed towards Canada, not that it was better.

Supersport

Post Number: 9671
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just met a forumer last week whom grew up in Oakland county. He said it was tradition even up there to fire off guns at midnight. Have a few friends downriver that say the same. So its hardly just a Detroit thing. Apparently those who take part don't realize that the bullets have to land some place.

Jimaz

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need to take up a collection and buy everyone blanks.

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 567
Posted From: 68.60.139.186
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You sound like the biggest pussy I've ever hear of, sounds like if runs in your blood too. Where I grew up you heard gunfire year round. I find it hilarious how all you urban folk find it threatening! I'm hearing gunfire even as I type this, go figure.

This must be one of the most stupidest comments ever made on this forum. What is it with this gun-worshipping mentality in this country? I don't get it. GUNS KILL. They destroy lives. I've held my breath on some of the other threads regarding guns but I just can't take this ignorance anymore without saying at least something. And while some people claim they need them for self-defense, I still don't see what's so cool about a "tradition" of firing gunshots on midnight of New Year's night as it might potentially hit and kill a person. It is, as some people here commented, ignorant, ass-backwards, dangerous and simply not acceptable. Call me naive, but for the longest time, I really thought that what I heard were just fireworks, I was astonished to hear that people actually fire guns. God, this issue about weapons really gets me pissed off, when will America learn that the first step to control crime and reduce violence is to OUTLAW the possession of guns altogether? Sure, I'm from gun-shy Europe and sure, it's easier said than done - but hey, compare crime statistics between Europe and the US and you just might get a clue about what I'm talking about.

Johnnny5

Post Number: 116
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing. Indeed, I would go so far as to say that the supply of arms to the underdogs is a sine qua non for the overthrow of any sovereignty. So let's not have any native militia or native police. German troops alone will bear the sole responsibility for the maintenance of law and order throughout the occupied Russian territories, and a system of military strong-points must be evolved to cover the entire occupied country." Adolf Hitler, dinner talk on April 11, 1942, quoted in Hitler's Table Talk 1941-44: His Private Conversations, Second Edition (1973), Pg. 425-426. Translated by Norman Cameron and R. H. Stevens.

This is NOT Europe......

Lmichigan

Post Number: 2914
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ghetto Butterfly,

I see that you completely missed Supersports disclaimer just a few posts up, huh?

BTW, I think we all know that this is not soley Detroit problem, but we're talking about the Detroit area right now, not Europe, not Vegas, not (fill in the blank). I would hope this would be one of the traditions that would just die a noble death before too many more people are injured and killed by stray bullets. There is already enough gun violence in the area without having to worry about being killed on New Years Eve from a "celebratory" gun shot.

Jblaze
Username: Jblaze

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 69.14.120.66
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shooting guns on New Year's??

Sounds just like Iraq or the Palestinian territories.

Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 568
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever. My point is and always will be - NO GUNS, under no circumstances, for nobody but trained and qualified personell such as police and military - people who get educated in the use of fire arms. No civilian ever does get this training and education (and don't give me that bull about shooting ranges). No, this is NOT Europe but what's the fukking difference???? Guns kill the same way here and there, except in Europe they're not as easily available as here, hence ... you do the math.

Jimaz

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Arizona's "Shannon's Law":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S hannon%27s_law_%28Arizona%29

Disclaimer: Firearms rights advocates despise someone who happens to have the same name as I. I am not that person. Frankly, I'm ambivalent about the issue.

(Message edited by Jimaz on January 01, 2006)

Johnnny5

Post Number: 117
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"No, this is NOT Europe but what's the fukking difference???? Guns kill the same way here and there, except in Europe they're not as easily available as here, hence ... you do the math."

The differece is that American civilians were given and maintain the ability to defend themselves (thanks to our second amendment) against both foreign and domestic threats. Yes people die every day in this country at the hands of armed criminals; but that is far out shadowed by the millions that have died(and will die)defenseless while depending on (or at the hands of) their own governments.

My apologies to the board for getting so off topic. =)

Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 570
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is not 1820 America anymore, when white Europeans came here to settle and had to "defend" their claim of land (if they ever had that "right" to begin with). That was to original purpose of the law that everybody has the right to bear a weapon, but it just doesn't apply anymore. It's total BS nowadays. It's very simple actually - if there are no guns, nobody will be killed.

Stlgasm
Username: Stlgasm

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 69.154.32.196
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Louis has long had a problem with New Years gunfire too. Last night I was at a party at my friend's house in South St. Louis, a nice neighborhood, and a birage of gunfire could be heard non-stop for a half hour straight. Needless to say we were inside with the doors closed and away from the windows. The City of St. Louis even launched a "Fun Without Guns" campaign, but judging from what I heard last night, it seems quite futile.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1483
Posted From: 4.229.123.34
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just part of the pathology of Detroit.....

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 212
Posted From: 67.149.185.244
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ghetto_butterfly I disagree with your post on guns I am a hunter and I work with many avid hunters and we are all law abiding citizens ..much of the local economy up north in the fall revolves around guns ..tell why there livelyhood should shot down because of big city crime ???? its a well known fact that if you get caught with an illigal gun in detroit its not near the fine or jailtime if there is anyjail time compared to the suburbs

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 766
Posted From: 68.252.132.76
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Just part of the pathology of Detroit.....

Methinks you mean, just part of the pathology of the United States.....

Lmichigan

Post Number: 2917
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, he means that it is a unqiuely Detroit problem because he believes that damn near everything wrong with the city is uniquely Detroit's as well. It's hackery at its worst.

Is this really going to become an "are you for or against gun ownership in the United States" thread? Isn't there really an in between, and a realization of the culture that guns aren't going anywhere anytime soon (for better or for worse)?

Citylover

Post Number: 1484
Posted From: 4.229.123.211
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 3:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are wrong Lmich.Defining or pointing out Detroits obvious pathology does not mean I think it is unique to Detroit.

Before he was ran out of town Chief Oliver made the point that the "culture" of Detroit was a huge obstacle in bringing safety back to the city.This is (the gunfire)part of that culture and it is certainly pathological.

Btw I frankly am sick of the ..." But it is worse in _________ (fill in the blank)that almost inevitably follows any criticism of Detroit. It has about the same credibilty as little Johhny in the schoolyard explaing to the Principal that he should not get in trouble because all his pals were skipping school too.

Pjazz
Username: Pjazz

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 69.212.44.222
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 4:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think people started talking about gun fire in other areas until some posts stated it mainly comes from Detroit. I personally feel gun laws in the city are just as strict as the suburbs
it's just the inforcement thats harder because of the population. Gun laws actually were stricter in
Detroit until the state made it easier for all cities to get ccws.

I'm curious as to how police operate at 12:00. Do thy actually look for people discharging fire arms, or do they park in a safe place until the shots subside.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6328
Posted From: 66.2.148.153
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Btw I frankly am sick of the ..." But it is worse in _________ (fill in the blank)that almost inevitably follows any criticism of Detroit. It has about the same credibilty as little Johhny in the schoolyard explaing to the Principal that he should not get in trouble because all his pals were skipping school too.

And you think that we aren't sick of your broken record comments about Detroit.

How about I sum up all of your past and future posts then you can go away:

1. Detroit's problems past and presentare only attributable to crime.
2. Racism was not a cause of white flight, it was crime.
3. Detroiters are criminals at heart and it is not safe anywhere in the city.
4. Downtown is not a real downtown.
5. AA is not a suburb.

You can go away now - I will copy and paste this on every thread so your opinions are known.

This is a Detroityes forum. Haveyou ever contributed anything positivie to the city or the forum or are you just here to mention the same bs on every thread.

Arab_guyumich
Username: Arab_guyumich

Post Number: 719
Posted From: 69.14.179.212
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nicely done Jt1.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 405
Posted From: 68.255.243.195
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAHAHA... Thanks JT1. While I appreciate and respect everyone's ideas and opinions, CL is always spewing the same stuff. And yea, CL is right that there is crime and murder in this City. *nod* it's a fact.

Here's an idea... we all know the facts about the violent crime in Detroit. Let's work to make positive change and move forward instead of beating the dead horse. While it is important to keep reality in our vision, MOST of us are on this forum to help make things better. So, let's do THAT, huh?

English
Username: English

Post Number: 469
Posted From: 70.228.2.224
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More and more "criminals" are moving to CL's beloved Ann Arbor. Hate to see what it's like 50 years from now.

At any rate, the tradition of gunfire annoys me. It isn't prevalent all over the South... only in certain parts of it. When I was in undergrad in the FL panhandle, my (Southern) friends looked at me wth horror as I explained to them the tradition. They'd never heard of anything like that in their lives.

Detroitduo

Post Number: 408
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To be honest, this year is the first time I even NOTICED it! I have lived in Detroit 6 years, now. I am not sure why people find this to be such a great idea. I think Detroit needs to attack this the same way they have attacked the Devils night fires... and "hugs, not guns" isn't going to cut it.

How about a large tax on bullets?

Citylover

Post Number: 1487
Posted From: 4.229.123.75
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Attacking me changes nothing.You bring up AA and english wonders what it will be like 50yrs from now.It will likely be what it is like now where crime is concerned just as it is not a whole lot different than it was fifty years ago..........can you say the same about Detroit?

There is a horrible pathology of crime in Detroit .Attacking me or saying AA is a suburb is a weak argument.

Detroitduo I think you are right about a devisl night kind of vigilance.But I don't see this admin doing that.Laying off cops may turn out to be a big mistake.

Supersport

Post Number: 9675
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crime in Detroit isn't that bad CL, I don't know who brainwashed you.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 273
Posted From: 68.42.77.90
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh please...."Crime in Detroit isn't that bad"

SS, you either never leave your house or you're in complete denial. Open your eyes!

Detroitduo

Post Number: 409
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To qualify SS' comment... You can walk down the street in most neighborhoods, safely. You can live in the City and have absolutely nothing happen to you. Yes, it's true. In 6 years, I have had the window broken in my car once. I had that happen in Chicago in 3 days.

Fact is, we live in a city where you have to be smart and pay attention. Day to day, most people feel safe in the city. Yes, there is crime, but it's not so terrible as many people would have you think it is. Particularly inside the Grand Blvd. loop.

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 170
Posted From: 69.212.224.7
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

crime is one part where you live, one part how smart you are and one part how lucky ( or unlucky you are)

Chub

Post Number: 274
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's my personal crime report for the last three years I've lived in the city.
-2 cars stolen
-2 car break-ins (stole stereo and left crack pipe on front seat)
-2 stolen lawn mowers from fenced back yard (the second time I caught the guy)
-rock thrown through living room window
-Vodka bottle thrown through another window
-piece of brick thrown at front door

Yes, the amount of crime does depend on where you live exactly. Only two blocks away, my brother has lived for two years and hasn't had one single incident happen to him. And guess what, he's the one moving to a new house in Canton, while I stay here fighting for the city I love.

Back to the topic, I heard numerous shots fired on New Year's eve. Do I like it, NO! Am I giving up on this great city, NO!

(Message edited by Chub on January 02, 2006)

Supersport

Post Number: 9678
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's my personal crime report for the last four years I've lived in the city.

-1 ding the size of a dime in my 1/4 panel of my car
while living at Riverfront, I'm still pissed about that.

On the topic of gunfire again, I just got off the phone with a friend in Arizona. He was at a party outside of Flagstaff where one drunk party goer wrecked his brand new truck into a porch. He then pulls out a gun, asks my friend "Should I do it?" pointing the gun that the truck. My friend tells him "Fuck no." When upon the guy fired a round into his own truck. He justified it because he was pissed off and his truck was wrecked. So as you can see, there are some real winners all over the place. Its not as if these gun shots are only taking place in Detroit, they take place everywhere. Just do what I do, keep your ass indoors when that clock strikes midnight and remain inside as much as possible that night.

Chub

Post Number: 276
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well SS, you only got one little ding in your 1/4 panel, so the rest of the city must be just as crime free...? Stop comparing other places to Detroit. It's such a waste of time, and I don't give a damn about what the crime is in Arizona. I can only try to sort out the BS here in my own city of Detroit. Why don't you try to do the same. Stop making excueses and do something.

Supersport

Post Number: 9686
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did, I built a garage. Thus, no more door dings.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 1618
Posted From: 66.2.148.250
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with Hemmingway. Given that wrestling away guns from the gunhuggers is a losing proposition, if bullets cost more, people wouldn't waste so many. Put a huge tax on them, and those who want to save money can roll their own.
Hubrez reported hearing lots of gunfire, and Hubrez must live very close to me, but whatever I heard sounded far off.
And since we have started sharing crime stats, I will have to report that in the 15 months that I have been back in Detroit, I have had somebody at the post office steal a CD that I ordered from Amazon, and some scrappers took an old sink out of my yard (I had planned on turning it into a planter under my garage window. Oh well).

Supersport

Post Number: 9688
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take the guns away and people will just resort to stabbing one another. The solution is to get at the root of the problem, not try and put a bandaid on the situation. There is no way to collect the illegal weapons so the only ones taken away would be the ones registered. Somebody also mentioned that they heard automatic weapons being fired, not exactly something you stop into your local gun shop and purchase. Taking guns away would only increase the violence and give the upper hand to the criminals, as if they don't already have it.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060102/M ETRO/601020361

Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 572
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crime committed against me - in the 4+ years I've lived here, nothing until last Thursday night, when my friend's car got stolen out of my (gated) parking lot. Which puts me back to square one in my relentness fight of defending Detroit, no kidding. One incident like that destroys many months of positive talk and showing around and pro-Detroit conversations. Now I'd just be happy if I can lure him back again to visit.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 173
Posted From: 207.200.116.134
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um....here in Vegas (near Sam's Town on Boulder Highway) I heard no gunshots until about five after midnight when some joker squeezed off six quick ones from a revolver about two blocks away. Local papers reported quite a few reports, however, in the City of North Las Vegas, which is where most of "our" gang-bangers live.

At my last Detroit home (Rosedale Park, Grand River and Warwick), I don't recall any excess of shots fired on NYE. Course, I left there in '84.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 2926
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, you should have heard a lot, then. Detroit was a very different (and for the worst in almost all ways) city in the 1980's/early 90's. Where'd you live? We lived at 12th and Clairmont. As a small kid, you don't know to be that scare of certain things, but looking back it was pretty crazy. We had people coming to our place looking for the drug dealers that had lived there before us.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 1619
Posted From: 66.2.148.250
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Take the guns away and people will just resort to stabbing one another".
Well, I am still young enough that I can run away from a person with a knife, and probably outrun him (or her).
I never was fast enough to run away from a bullet, and while I know of numerous cases of people having stray bullets whiz through their windows, (sometimes with fatalities, sometimes not), I don't know of ANYONE in this city that ever had a stray knife penetrate their home/business/auto...
So a hefty tax on bullets WOULD be a good start.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 2928
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol, good point delivered with good humor.

Evelethcdenver
Username: Evelethcdenver

Post Number: 86
Posted From: 209.180.254.19
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here in Denver, was having a smoke at midnight before bed, not one shot heard. Thank God.

Johnnny5

Post Number: 119
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So we should all pay high taxes on ammunition because there are criminals in Detroit firing in the air? I have many firearms and ample amounts of ammunition. Was I out of my front porch firing in the air to celebrate the New Year? No! Do I drive down the road and open fire on others? No! In fact I legally carry a firearm almost every day of the week and have never used it to commit a crime. Why not? Because I have respect for the lives of others and for the law.
I also find it very ironic that the same people here who chastise George Bush for his recent "bending" of our constitutional right to privacy have no problem with eliminating our right to bear arms. WTF?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 2930
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not going to go as far as to say that handguns need to be taken out of legal circulation. The this country's culture is still FAR to violent for that to work for the general populace. BUT, we need much harsher punishments for crimes committed with a firearm.

I do find the argument that "everyone should have a gun for protection" is just ridiculous. This creates a culture or paranoia and fear, more then there currently is.

There is no easy answer. Taking away guns from law-abidding citizens is not going to fix things. Telling everyone that they should have a handgun works against everything that America has tried to become. Until we are willing to tackle the problem of WHY crime is the way it is, and work to seriously reduce that through tremendous social reform there will be NO solution. I ask rhetorically, why is it that Canada has so much less violent, gun-related crime even though citizens are permitted to own guns? They have to be the relatively happy medium in this discussion.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.