Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Obie Trice shot on the Lodge « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroits_own
Username: Detroits_own

Post Number: 35
Posted From: 4.229.81.217
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://entertainment.tv.yahoo. com/entnews/ap/20051231/113604 744000.html

Rapper Obie Trice Shot on Detroit Freeway

Sat Dec 31, 8:44 AM ET

Obie Trice was shot early Saturday while driving on a city highway, police said. Trice, a Detroit native and protege of Eminem, was on the Lodge Freeway at about 1:10 a.m. when his vehicle was shot at by someone in another car, said Michigan State Police Sgt. Mario Gonzales.

Trice managed to continue driving and exited the freeway in the suburb of Southfield, where his girlfriend, who also was in the vehicle, flagged down police, Gonzales said. The girlfriend wasn't wounded.

He was taken to Providence Hospital, where he was treated and released, said hospital spokesman Brian Taylor.

There were no suspects in the shooting, which was under investigation by state police detectives, Gonzales said.

Trice has performed on Eminem records and with 50 Cent. His 2003 debut album "Cheers" was produced by Eminem, and he also had a small part in the feature film "8 Mile."

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 308
Posted From: 70.229.47.130
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well this is great...the media should have a field day with this one

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 114
Posted From: 68.61.55.140
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! A rap artist as a shooting target; I never thought this type of thing would happen.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 91
Posted From: 24.231.201.120
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah no kidding, L.A. was already the spotlight of similar incidents.

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 228
Posted From: 69.209.181.124
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

street cred what

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1386
Posted From: 70.236.180.62
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was he shot once or trice?:-) Seriously, I hope he is ok and I hope the police find the shooter(s). Too much beefin' in the rap world. Why can't they just apprecitate each other's success?

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 217
Posted From: 68.43.81.191
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

What's even more sad is that we elevate these thugs and criminals to the status of role models and icons within this country, all because they can string together a few profanity-laced sentences glorifying drug use, gun violence, and misogyny. And we wonder why we have so many murders in this country.

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 936
Posted From: 68.248.15.192
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Getting shot seems to be the new form of "guerilla marketing" in the hip-hop world. Sure he'll sell a few more discs to idiots who think this schitt is cool, er, street credible.

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 229
Posted From: 69.209.181.124
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"all that rap music is just clicks and whistles"

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 722
Posted From: 64.12.116.195
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonder if Obie has a new album coming out soon? This could help it sell.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9665
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Been hit with a few shells but I don't walk with a limp"

-50 Cent

Hope he's ok, that album was some of the best rap to come out in the past few years if you ask me. As for his girlfriend, to quote Obie "Hopefully she got some teeth."

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 733
Posted From: 69.246.13.131
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

since he has lead on the head, he should change his name to HiTest

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3154
Posted From: 68.250.174.70
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yo, we keepin it real

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 2901
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad, but I'm just glad the city hasn't gotten to L.A. standards where in the summer, there were shoot-outs on the freeway nearly weekly. lol

Detroits_own
Username: Detroits_own

Post Number: 36
Posted From: 4.229.72.34
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea every rapper out is a thug or a criminal. Give me a break. I can see some people in here can't tell the difference between real life and music. Everybody knows the vast majority of rappers are not living the stuff they rap about. LOL @ blaming murders on rap music, Lord knows we didnt have any before it came out right?

Warriorfan

Post Number: 220
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Life seems to imitate art a little TOO often for those in the Rap and Hip Hop communities. Or do you deny that that many rappers and Hip Hop artists have connections to notorious street gangs like the Bloods and the Crips, drug dealers, and murderers?

"Get Rich or die trying." It's a motto that many young people live by. Don't tell me that rap culture has nothing to do with it. It's got nothing to do with the genre of music itself, but everything to do with the individuals who have been co-opting it over the past 5-10 years. Drug dealing is almost a prerequisite now if you want to make it big as a rapper.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 2906
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Negative rap is PART of the problem. If anything, it is more a manifestation than a cause of anything. Many in the poor community already live by the motto "get rich or die trying." At the most, the motto in rap simply reinforces the already held belief. Please make a difference between cause and effect, and why don't you try dropping the antagonism whenever an issue is raised about the Black community, Warriorfan. You seem like a fly drawn towards honey. It's kind of hard to give you the benefit of the doubt when you've shown your true colors over and over again.

Jltyler
Username: Jltyler

Post Number: 206
Posted From: 68.61.100.18
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good post Lmich.

Treez4brkfst
Username: Treez4brkfst

Post Number: 84
Posted From: 68.248.73.37
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 3:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"....many rappers and Hip Hop artists have connections to notorious street gangs like the Bloods and the Crips, drug dealers, and murderers?"

"Drug dealing is almost a prerequisite now if you want to make it big as a rapper".

Now that's classic!

Arab_guyumich
Username: Arab_guyumich

Post Number: 715
Posted From: 69.14.179.212
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 3:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warriorfan writes like Bill O'Reilly talks.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 2908
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 3:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess we should put the brunt of the blame of suburban violence and school shooting on emo music and death metal, huh? That would hit too close to home, though.

Jltyler
Username: Jltyler

Post Number: 207
Posted From: 68.61.100.18
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 4:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What's even more sad is that we elevate these thugs and criminals to the status of role models and icons within this country, all because they can string together a few profanity-laced sentences glorifying drug use, gun violence, and misogyny. And we wonder why we have so many murders in this country.

What's even more sad is we elevate a blond that has done nothing more with her life than be a slut, and an heiress to a multi-million dollar fortune, all because she's rich and can afford to be at parties. And we wonder why America's headed to hell in a handbasket.

Can anyone guess who I'm talking about? Forget about young black men that don't run the streets but do talk about. This is the shit I can't understand.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1387
Posted From: 69.212.58.13
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 5:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paris Hilton I presume.

Fec
Username: Fec

Post Number: 58
Posted From: 4.165.123.74
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 6:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this what "Hip Hop" has to offer? This city has always been considered a "homeowners town", which means folks that are settled and conscious of what is theirs and its influences. What the heck is happening to this city? This 'hip-hop' thing is not working here!

Boy, did I want to use some profanity!

Warriorfan

Post Number: 222
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, when some emo kid offs himself, don't tell me that it has NOTHING to do with the fact that they all they listen to depressing, negative music. Maybe they seek that music out because they are already depressed, but it further reinforces their abnormal behavior.

I specifically said in my post that the fault does not lie with the genre of rap music itself. Music is music, it's only as bad or good as the person who is wielding it. I lament the fact that rap music has gone from a voice of reason, decrying the violence and drug use within the inner city, to a recruitment tool and advertiser for the gangs and drug dealers.

Listen to rap today and compare it to rap 10 years ago and honestly tell me that the amount of gun violence and drug use in the lyrics hasn't skyrocketed. I agree that it is not the CAUSE of the problem, but it's a circular problem. Rap isn't the cause, but it contributes to the problem by reinforcing that standard of behavior as ideal and accepted and normal.

It should be obvious to anyone that as rap made the transition to "pop" music and took over the pop stations and MTV that the true poets and artists of the rap/hip hop community have been pushed out in favor of clowns like 50 Cent. Rap has been reduced to the lowest common denominator, because that's what is "profitable." Unfortunatley, it also reinforces negative steroetypes and contributes to a society already desensitized towards violence. The real poets are still out there, but they are awash in a sea of pop-star rappers, waving guns around on giant billboards. Even Kanye lamented that rapping about things like Jesus would hurt his album sales and record play, the only stuff that gets played on the radio is the negative stuff.

Jblaze
Username: Jblaze

Post Number: 11
Posted From: 69.14.120.66
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's an excellent essay from a Stanford scholar on what much of this popular music of late is about. Art imitating life, or life imitating art? There are few bad apples in any era, but let's examine demand for this stuff, as well as supply.

"Eminem Is Right" by Mary Eberstadt

http://www.policyreview.org/de c04/eberstadt.html

Comments on said essay welcome! Peace in the Oh-Six.

Superduperman
Username: Superduperman

Post Number: 52
Posted From: 69.242.213.76
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone here commenting on his shooting ever listened to his album because if you did you would know he doesn't tout himself as "gangsta rapper" and simply blaming it on his music seems a bit premature,it could have simply have been a situation of being in the wrong place at the wrong time,or even being mistaken for someone else because of the vehicle he was driving "silver range rover",I've been flagged down and or stopped because someone thought I was someone else because of the vehicle I was driving "black range rover",all I'm saying is don't make premature assumptions about this unfortunate incident simply because he happens to be an entertainer....

Lmichigan

Post Number: 2920
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Obie is more along the likes of the average member of D12 in that his rap isn't really "gangsta" or violent rap. The rap is much more playful and quirky like a good portion of Detroit rap that's made it mainstream. Actually, maybe "playful" isn't the correct term, but it's not gangsta rap.

(Message edited by lmichigan on January 01, 2006)

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 948
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

obie does have a pretty clever tune about him...something fitting in with the quick whit and character unique to Detroit

I dunno ... i guess thats just more reason to STAY AWAY from the westside ;)...

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 613
Posted From: 68.79.117.176
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 2:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I guess we should put the brunt of the blame of suburban violence and school shooting on emo music and death metal, huh? That would hit too close to home, though.

I assume you are kidding because they already do blame school shootings etc. in the suburbs on Marilyn Manson and the "goth" culture.

I'm willing to bet Obie Trice was at a party or club and someone followed him out and thought it would give him "street cred" if he shot Obie Trice.

...or maybe he got hit by a stray bullet from a gun shot by someone prematurely celebrating the new year...

Jblaze
Username: Jblaze

Post Number: 14
Posted From: 69.14.120.66
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 7:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or maybe he has got a new CD coming out to promote (in fact, i think he does!). Clearly he was not hurt badly by this bullet.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 3676
Posted From: 141.217.119.161
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I guess we should put the brunt of the blame of suburban violence and school shooting on emo music and death metal, huh?"

If that's what it takes to get emo banned, I say right on. That schlock was terrible the first time when it was Dan Fogelberg. And equally crappy when it was the power ballad (yeah, yeah, yeah every rose has a thorn, Poison still sucks). But I think the earnestness of emo fans make this incarnation of the "panty waste genre" hands down the lamest.

I knew this emo kid whose parents were paying for his grad school. Effing grad school! And he was always complaining about how hard life was and that maybe he should just quit school and work at Starbucks (yes he was that cliché) the rest of his *sigh* life. I suppose that scenario also meant living at home and having his mommy cook his vegetarian (WUSS) meals for him.

Just to tie this to Zulu's Illiteracy thread because I'm guessing emo dorks make up a good chuck of the 69% per cent of ignorant boobs American colleges graduate every year.

I know this has nothing to do with Mr. Tice's shooting but it needed to be said.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 870
Posted From: 64.142.86.133
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 4:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Real Name. No Gimmicks.

Jerome81

Post Number: 871
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 4:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a big rap lover, but I must say that whatever the lyrics have to say has absolutely NO bearing on my desire to partake or acceptance of the things they are rapping about.

But I'm young and white. I can respect a good story, but mostly if I listen to that stuff its because it's got a good beat to it.

I think I'm gonna go get a handgun, a Benz, and some hos..... Do people really do stuff like this because of a song?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 2935
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 4:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many teenagers do, and this goes for almost anything and crosses all kind of lines. A large amount of teenagers follow trends be it the next Britney Spears wannabe, or the next 50 Cent look-and-sound-alike.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2194
Posted From: 66.202.227.12
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't let the recording industries corporate vultures off the hook so easily. First off alot of them 'make' thugs when they want to promote a particular 'image' they think will seel records for them. I have heard stories of how some artists were more so about social conciousness but get approached by the RI to go moreso for the 'thuggish, raw hard core thing' that's selling so hard right now. And it happens more often than people realize.

95% of the 'thug' artists in the Music Industry are not, nor were ever 'thugs' to begin with. They were only made thugs as a way for the Record Industry to capitalize on the plight of ghetto life.

Supersport

Post Number: 9690
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Don't let the recording industries corporate vultures off the hook so easily. First off alot of them 'make' thugs when they want to promote a particular 'image' they think will seel records for them.

Yeah, like when G-Unit was forced to threaten to kick that kid's ass outside the coffee shop in Birmingham if he didn't remove his "G-uNOT" shirt. That was definately a "Keepin' it real" episode that had corporate vultures were behind.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2195
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I said not all. If you want to comment on something make SURE that you read the whole posting. Not just one part that you can disect and compare to one particular incident. And even with that you see where that particular incident took place as well.

Supersport

Post Number: 9693
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I prefer to pick and choose. :-)

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2196
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol, but still like I said, the vast majority of the 'thugs' in the music industry are the ones that the corporate creative control and marketing folks create for that particular 'image'. In fact one of the biggest 'thugs' out one mr 50 Cent in one of them.

50 Cent actually took that name from a real gangster type who went by that name before he was cut down by gunfire a few years ago.

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 361
Posted From: 63.69.106.29
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sounds like CB4 all over again. ^

Supersport

Post Number: 9694
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So that guy "died tryin?"

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2197
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Naw he died being a dumb azz...

Supersport

Post Number: 9695
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMAO...with each passing day I find a way to laugh at death a little more. Get rich or die laughin', right?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 2937
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Stylin', I totally agree with you post, but for me, that makes some of the music even worse knowing that these created 'thugs' know what they are doing. It seems completely reckless and negligent (at best) on behalf of both the 'artist' and the label. It's almost as bad as marketing cigerettes to children, IMO...almost.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2200
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When you really think about it, majority of these newfound 'thugs' are from southern areas where the term thug didnt come around till people like 50Cent really blew up the airwaves. Music Executives will exploit someones desire to really want to land a large contract, so they will damn near do anything in order to live their dream.

Take for example the artist Trick Daddy. I couldnt stand the dude cause all he talk about it pimpin' hoes, and bling, and all tis otha shyt. basically a bunch of nonsense. But come to find out when he was trying to get into the industry he was more about raising our social concious. Record companies liked what they saw in him...just not his message becuase they felt that wouldn't sell (read 70's blaxploitaiton movies), since what he was trying to do originally wasn't "real" enough for the streets.

Therefore you have so many more 'thugs' comin up from places like Alabama, Atlanta, NC, and Florida because they basically are buying into the Industry's bullshyt becuase they are getting this once in a lifetime opportunity, and they will do whatever the record companies ask.

That's not to say the North don;t have it's fair share of crack pots to, but the South being in such a want for indentity and being popular at the time is creating a demand for 'thuggishness' that the record companies will exploit, but never let their children listen to nor live the lifestyle.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 2939
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the south...at the moment, but before them it was West Coast gangsta rap, and before that East Coast rap. This is no Southern phenomenon; they have just happened to take over the scene. And may I add, I find most of the rap out of the South some of worst ever made. On another side note, I'm loving how Chicago has kept it real for so many years with their socially-conscious rap (i.e. Common, Kanye...)

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 191
Posted From: 12.207.6.192
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ you forgot R. Kelly. He keeps it real....with underage girls! :-)

Jerome81

Post Number: 875
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 2:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm gonna piss on you.....drip drip drip.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 507
Posted From: 69.14.76.187
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 3:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find most of the Southern Rappers to be the most ignorant. This has been the case for years (outside of the Dungeon Fam). The only group more ignorant is the Dip Set.

Jerome81

Post Number: 878
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 4:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You mean you don't like when they rhyme a word with that same word? That's not talent?!

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 509
Posted From: 69.14.76.187
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 4:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amazing lyrics like these....

"And I got some girls, bout five or six
And a five and six, about five or six"
Cam'ron - Shake.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 2943
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 4:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol! They do that so much it's not even funny. And people are eating it up. How Southern rap ever became pop music is something I'll wonder about my whole life.

Thrice
Username: Thrice

Post Number: 56
Posted From: 207.91.250.131
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 5:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Categorically denying all southern rap is wrong. Artist like Ludacris and Outkast do have hard hitting social commentary rap on their albums. Just because it doesn’t get as much radio airtime as kayne doesn’t mean they don’t care about social issues, or talk about them

Off the song Hard times:
Ludacris
You never know how much you miss a person, until they gone
Like to hear it? Hear it go, I'm rehearsing, gotta sing my song
I know I've done some wrong, but I can't get right
Cause life is like a big fight
I'm stickin-and-movin, tryin to get my shit right
My family's been houndin me, friends they done turned against me
Kinda like they hearts was on a full tank, but now they empty
And they say I've changed, but like twins I'm just the same
It's because of my job, mo' money mo' prob in this dirty game
This industry FUCKED UP
That's right I said it, and it's fake as ever
Keep real niggaz around me, stay "Space Age 4 Eva"
Po-ppa never went and jumped the broom, never got that one degree
But if you looked down from heaven, you'd still be proud of me
Your son was DUI, but my momma made it by
I didn't shed no tears when you left me
but the rest of the family cried
Trials and tribulations, ruined my concentration
Losin my patience, hard times for goodness sake'n

Eightball:
As this Valium slowly starts to kick in
Them subconcious, subliminal thoughts, start tickin
This whole world around me, diseased, and crumblin
Babies doin dope cause daddy did it right in front of them
Everybody wanna blame music for they bad kids
Sittin up in the court talkin 'bout Eminem made me do what I did
My own hard times rolled in like the fog
Try to think of others, but I can't get past my own thoughts
My momma, in 1967, pickin cotton
While other blacks was gettin liberated, boycottin
My old man was a player, ain't no hidin that
He started tootin then he graduated to smokin crack
I never saw him, never needed to see that muh'fucker
He left me and my mother stuck down here in this fuckin gutter
I tattoed it on my arm so I can't forget it
It's in my mind and my heart so I'm forever with it

Or off Speakerbox, War:
Big Boi
When will we all, awake up out this dream
Come here and smell the Folgers, the soldiers are human beings
Man actin as if he was the supreme bein
Clockin the souls of men out like he was G-O-D and
W-A-Rrah, there'll be no tomorrow but sorrow
and horror will follow the hollow hearts battle for dollars
Politicians, modern day magicians
Physicians of death, more health care for poor health
Who makin us ill, they makin us kill
That's makin me spill my guts (chill Big, lay in the cut)
For what? I refuse to sit in the backseat and get handled
Like I do nuttin all day but sit around watch the Cartoon Channel
I rap about, the Presidential election and the scandal
that followed, and we all watched the nation, as it swallowed
and chalked it up, basically America you got FUCKED
The media shucked and jived now we stuck - damn!

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2203
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But see Thrice you are talking about two groups (Outkast and Ludacris), out of the explosion of southern rappers since the late 90's.

Petey Pablo has potential to be a good lyricist, but he mostly talks about boolshyt, or sex, Chingy talks about nothing, Trill talks about nothing but his gold grillz, but yet folks from the south being so happy that they are popular now are willing to take anything! To most of them, rap is all about big azzes, money, guns, cars with 20" spinners, gold teeth, being pimps, and gangstas. None of which any of them are. Hell I can tell someone that's lived the life as opposed to someone that's been made to have that appearance. And the sad part about it is...most of them really aren;t making the money that they could be becuased they are getting pimped so hard by the industry. All they wanna do is floss so they will do and say anything no matter how hard the industry will exploit them. It don;t matter as long as they can have a different set of gold grills to wear every day then they are happy yanno?

Gangsta rap has always been a part of Hip Hop, ever since Nwa brought it out to the fore front back in '88. However when they intially came out it was a way for them to get out of the gangbang lifestyle as well as their version of social commentary (Ren, Dre, Cube, Yella Boy and Eazy have all said this at one point or another), however as the corporate vultures saw how lucrative the market was for it then they began to push for more of it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.