Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Word of Faith Christian Center (Cathedral question) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3152
Posted From: 70.236.178.181
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have driven by this place called Word of Faith Christian Center several times recently. It is located near the corner of 9 Mile and Evergreen. I thought nothing of it until I saw this beautiful massive church off of 9 Mile. Clearly, it has to be pre-war construction. It has a Romanesque look to it I must admit. Almost like St. Veronica in Eastpointe, but much larger. Does anyone have any information about this beautiful structure? Who designed it and in what year? Would it be considered a Cathedral rather than a church?

Boshna
Username: Boshna

Post Number: 101
Posted From: 68.60.137.62
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 3:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Word of Faith Christian Center was founded as a Franciscan novitiate and college, called Duns Scotus College. I would guess that it was built in the 1930s or early 40s. It has a very large chapel and several classroom/dormitory buildings. The complex was sold sometime in the last decade as membership in the order declined. Word of Faith center has attached a very very large auditorium to the complex, that fits pretty tastefully with the originally architecture. Anyone know more?

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 814
Posted From: 69.14.125.129
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 3:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is some info here.

Ericdfan
Username: Ericdfan

Post Number: 60
Posted From: 68.41.117.60
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Word of Faith used to be based in Redford..at the building that is now used by Detroit World Outreach. They moved out sometime around the turn of the century cause their congregation is so massive that they ran out of room at the Redford facility..Which is by no means very small for a church.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 79
Posted From: 68.77.166.98
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the place now operated by the Rev. Keith Butler, former Detroit City Council member and 2006 GOP Senate hopeful. It's the main headquarters in a worldwide empire he now runs.

Carptrash
Username: Carptrash

Post Number: 1413
Posted From: 72.16.51.242
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Duns Scotus was built in 1928 or 29, designed by some out-of-towner, and received some sort of award from whom ever gives those out - the AIA I suspect. . AK won one that same year for the Kresge building and Parducci did sculpture for both. In the mid 1960s Duns Scotus, with not much fore sight, built some additions and CP was called back to do more work. It is a fine building, well maintained when I was last there, and worth checking out. eeeeeeeeek

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 60
Posted From: 68.255.238.97
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...some out-of-towner..."?

Duns Scotus was a rare Midwest project for the New York architect, Wilfrid Anthony (1878-1948.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.