Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » New York Times article on ailing Michigan economy « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mumbly
Username: Mumbly

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 167.219.0.143
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More bad news about Michigan.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12 /27/business/27state.html

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 769
Posted From: 66.89.12.30
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm pretty tired of hearing from Micheline Maynard

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1106
Posted From: 68.248.5.60
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See, it's not just the Wall Street Journal harping on Michigan's out of whack economy.

With these sorts of circumstances, it's hard to see very much support (from a funding and PR standpoint) coming from the nationwide level for Granholm in '06.

We have a quandry that's called comparatively poor education top to bottom, unions that need to be put in their place, and big government. Put this on top of the inefficient layout of the SE MI job center where sprawl has run rampant without any complementary transit, and it's really hard to attract employers. The next Republican governor may not give a damn about the latter, but we can count on this person doing something about the former.

Detroitwonk
Username: Detroitwonk

Post Number: 70
Posted From: 68.41.207.52
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually...the article doesn't harp on Michigan so badly. What I took away from the article was that:

1.) Michigan has an auto strategy.

2.) Michigan's auto strategy makes sense.

3.) If it works, the strategy will mean a great many jobs for Michigan.

I talk about it more here:

http://raywert.blogspot.com/20 05/12/new-york-times-cites-imp ortance-of.html

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 381
Posted From: 35.9.3.68
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's right, Mackinaw. Blame Granholm for every damned problem, she created all of it. Christ. Big government, huh? What do you want to do? Sell off every fucking state park, all the state forests (after all, it's GOVERNMENT land, uh-oh!), cut all unemployment benefits? Usually I stay out of politically themed discussions because arguing with Republicans is like banging your head against the wall, but something about your message just set me off.

"The next Republican governor may not give a damn about the latter, but we can count on this person doing something about the former."

What are you talking about? A Republican in Michigan (in this day and age) doing something about transit? Huh?

Mumbly
Username: Mumbly

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 167.219.0.142
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Actually...the article doesn't harp on Michigan so badly."

Except for snippets such as:

"Less than a quarter of Michigan residents have college degrees...The state's unemployment rate, 6.6 percent, is the third-highest in the country, behind the hurricane-devastated states of Mississippi and Louisiana, and it ranks dead last in economic momentum, a measure based on employment growth, personal income and population trends..."

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1107
Posted From: 68.248.5.60
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The state forests are not where the glut is at.

Your last sentence restated my final paragraph. When I said the latter, I meant the inefficiency of sprawl w/ lack of transit (the state subsidizes this in my view). When I said the former, i.e. getting some economic common sense back in Lansing, that's where I meant that the next governor will help.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 934
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan can either follow cali and raise taxes... while improving services, lowering crime, and building mass transit... as well as infastracture to lure companies...

OR they can lower taxes and lure companies. Both ways work... BUt high taxes and shitty services dont.

Cali can tax all they want becuase companies based there make money.. Georgia can keep taxes next to nothing, because the flow of jobs there keeps them wealthy...

But companies have a hard time paying through the nose, and barely staying in business.... with shitty roads, non existant transit, poor schools that dont work WITH companies to train future workers, and a poor quality of life.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1421
Posted From: 70.236.186.97
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

With these sorts of circumstances, it's hard to see very much support (from a funding and PR standpoint) coming from the nationwide level for Granholm in '06.

Actually, there are some very good reasons to re-elect Jennifer Granholm.

#1. She's not Dick DeVos.
#2. She's not Dick DeVos.
#3. She's not Dick DeVos.
#4. ...I think you get my point by now.

quote:

The next Republican governor may not give a damn about the latter, but we can count on this person doing something about the former.

Actually, we can't really count on DeVos to do anything. He launched his gubernatorial campaign 5 months ago. What plans or proposals has he offered to improve Michigan?

Here's his complete economic plan:

Here's his health care plan:

Here's DeVos on mass transit/urban issues:

Notice a trend here?

DeVos and the GOP are great at whinning - but lookig for leadership out of them is like looking for a surf board in Antartica.

Jblaze
Username: Jblaze

Post Number: 10
Posted From: 69.14.120.66
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dick DeVos (emphasis on "Dick") is bordering on criminality with the whole AmWay scam he founded.

These extreme right-wing types have an agenda that hardly benefits the common man/woman they purport to support. They use religion/"morals"(?!)/9-11 terrorism/gays/abortion/etc. to scam these poor (and largely white) serfs. Until all these middle and working class fools who vote GOP realize that they are the ones getting screwed, change is not likely to come.

F-- it, i make six figures and, frankly, benefit from these GOP giveaways. So why do i bother getting annoyed by these people? But it is not just about me - let's uplift all people. There is a BIG difference between capitalism and CRONY capitalism.

(Message edited by Jblaze on December 27, 2005)

Mw2gs
Username: Mw2gs

Post Number: 134
Posted From: 69.216.104.64
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take Fnemecek's post and insert Freeman Hendrick's name instead of Dick. Too revealing!!!!!!

Rberlin
Username: Rberlin

Post Number: 267
Posted From: 68.255.115.184
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 2:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I for one eagerly await DeVos's pyrimid tax plan.

Detroitwonk
Username: Detroitwonk

Post Number: 71
Posted From: 68.41.207.52
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mumbly. Citing facts and numbers wouldn't necessarily be "harping" on Michigan...which was kind of my point. No one disagrees with the fact that Michigan's economy is not where it could be, and to ignore that reality would be truly to live with blinders on. However, the article did paint the state in a very positive light in terms of showing that we have a plan to get us back into positive economic territory.

My claim was not that they made things seem all rosey and pretty, but rather that it seems they did their homework by not saying things like "they have no plan"...when clearly the state of michigan, under the Governor's leadership, does.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1423
Posted From: 68.255.247.17
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Take Fnemecek's post and insert Freeman Hendrick's name instead of Dick. Too revealing!!!!!!

Hey - even Freman Hendrix had some kind of a plan. We can disagree over the merits of his proposals, but he had them.

http://fremanhendrix.com/econo mic.htm
http://fremanhendrix.com/taxes .htm
http://fremanhendrix.com/trans portation.htm
http://fremanhendrix.com/neigh borhoods.htm
http://fremanhendrix.com/crime .htm
http://fremanhendrix.com/educa tion.htm

Now, take a look at Dick DeVos - http://www.devosforgovernor.co m/

All he has is a bio that was cranked out by some PR flunky and a pitch for you to send him money. (Why we should send money to one of the richest men in Michigan, I don't know.)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.