Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Electronics store robbed 3rd time « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mjb3
Username: Mjb3

Post Number: 82
Posted From: 24.145.222.252
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/wdiv/2 0051224/lo_wdiv/3142500

This is just one of those cheesy phone stores, but 3 breakins in less than 1 month open. And it's not a terrible neighborhood(like Linwood or Mack) near 7 and Livernois.
If these guys are run out can you imagine any reason why a Best Buy or C City would ever build in the D? Or any retailer?
Maybe the guys running the store are putz's with lax security system, but it sounds pretty bad, 3x in one month. I hope they recover and can build their business.

Worst thing, break in was on Dec 24. I guess we located the Grinch this yr.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 932
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that business property owners in the D need to invest in Private security. There are plenty of guys comming back from Iraq that would be perfect for the job and are trained and have experiance in keeping shit from leaving stores magically.

I know all rent sucks... but If I owned a building with retail, I could compete pretty well with other places if I charged an extra fee for Private security, armed to the teeth, to protect this shit. There are enough places without it, that going after that place would be too much hassel for would be robbers.

Its kinda like being in an ocean full of sharks.... You can be absolutely delicious, but if you are kicking and swimming and putting up a fight, and your buddy is laying there taking a nap face up... that shark wont give you the time of day....

I think its funny how most thieves think the same way.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 7951
Posted From: 64.228.65.21
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee...and people wonder why businesses aren't flocking to Detroit. Fucking parasites!

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 923
Posted From: 70.145.43.248
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most likely they don't have adequate security. There are these types of phone stores scattered all over the city, and they manage to stay in business... it's pretty much a given that you need an alarm system and security cameras for this type of store. (I don't see how they would be targetted that frequently otherwise.)

Oddly enough, in many ways, big box stores have an easier time dealing with these issues, as they only need to hire a single security guard at the entrance out of a much larger number of employees.

Goat

Post Number: 7952
Posted From: 69.156.95.207
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So now businesses have to guard their store like Fort Knox of old because shit heads can't obey a simple law? Give me a break! These assholes should be thrown in jail for 10 years. Fuck 'em! Now wonder the decline of western civilization is already under way...shit heels!

Evelethcdenver
Username: Evelethcdenver

Post Number: 77
Posted From: 209.180.254.19
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does not matter what kind of security system a store has. If someone wants to break in to their business or home, they are going to. In high school, I worked at Special Way Food Store on Outer Drive and Grand River. The three years that I worked there, we were broken into 7 or 8 times. Every time a different way. Once through the front door, through the back door, and even through the roof. There was nothing we could do. Police response was very slow if any.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 926
Posted From: 70.145.43.248
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, security cameras won't prevent a break-in. But they might actually help identify criminals after the fact so that they can be "thrown in jail for 10 years", and reduce future break-ins in the area.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1244
Posted From: 68.250.205.35
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you have to pay a ton extra for security ... why locate in Detroit?

The_nerd
Username: The_nerd

Post Number: 288
Posted From: 69.246.18.50
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The people doing the robbing are probably more likely to move to the suburbs because of Detroit's crime. Things like this, really help to keep our retail base subpar.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1418
Posted From: 69.212.35.51
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alexei said:

quote:

I think that business property owners in the D need to invest in Private security.

Dialh said:

quote:

If you have to pay a ton extra for security ... why locate in Detroit?

I have to side with Dialh on this one. The City of Detroit currently has a $3.8 billion budget.

There is no reason for us to have the kind of police, fire and EMS protection that we need. We might have to close more rec centers or cut elsewhere, but this city needs to start taking public health & safety serious.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 293
Posted From: 69.209.155.236
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Wireless Toyz branch in the news report is located at Livernois and 6 Mile/McNichols. Now, that is a pretty decent neighborhood where UD-Mercy is at. I am certainly disgusted that something like this would occur multiple times in a good part of town. Why would anybody feel safe doing business anywhere else in Detroit, if they can't even keep a store open more than 1 month peacefully ? Heck, people living around the University District and going to school at Marygrove College or UD-Mercy would surely be upset at this type of negative occurences.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 535
Posted From: 68.41.109.36
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 2:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big Box major retailers worry about "shrinkage" more than anything.

I have a friend who manages a major retail store in Detroit. He has had to get rid of so many employees so far because of employee theft.

The same friend tells me that he has been good a spooking some potential customer theives (and he says there are plenty of those) however, there are the ones that the employees that live around the area know are in gangs and are not to be touched. Those guys walk in there, take what they want, and everyone is too scared to say anything.

Friend has been there for two months and has already had a gun pointed at him.

The good news out of all this is that this friend says that the cops are always there very quickly and continue to roam the surrounding streets.

Some of his stories make me scared to make the downtown investment move that i have been planing of late.

Then again, I was not at the actual Motor City Bowl tonight, but was around at the bars, restuarants and checked out the rink.

Good times all around. Even the suburbanites had a fun time. I just hope that a lot of the visiting college kids and families had a good time as well.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1420
Posted From: 70.236.186.97
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Friend has been there for two months and has already had a gun pointed at him.

Yeah! I'm so glad that DPD staffing levels keep getting cut. Thank you, Mayor Kilpatrick!

<- really hopes everyone has their sacrasm indicators turned on.

Compn
Username: Compn

Post Number: 45
Posted From: 65.29.121.215
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i saw the wireless giant guy on the news, he didnt want to put bars on the windows but after the 2nd break in , he decided to...

you gotta wonder why they havent caught the guy robbing or maybe the owner has enemies...

you could just not stock cell phones in the store and whenever someone buys one you transfer it from a secure warehouse.

too bad setting traps for burglars is illegal :-(

Meadows
Username: Meadows

Post Number: 39
Posted From: 67.77.253.144
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

you could just not stock cell phones in the store and whenever someone buys one you transfer it from a secure warehouse.

Unless the warehouse is next door or across the street, that doesn't seem very practical IMHO. My thinking is that when someone walks into a store to buy a cellphone, they generally want to walk out with product in hand in a reasonable amount of time. Plus the business owner would also have to pay rent or a mortgage on this secure warehouse in addition to the rent/mortgage for their actual retail location...?

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1422
Posted From: 70.236.186.97
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to agree with Meadows on is assesment of the "secure warehouse" idea. If it isn't safe to operate a business within the Detroit city limits, we'll have to do all of our shopping in the suburbs (you know, that place where they're not afraid of hiring cops?).

Urban_shocker
Username: Urban_shocker

Post Number: 237
Posted From: 68.248.7.192
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think if a story like this comes as a surprise to anyone, then that person is pretty naive when it comes to the situation in most Detroit neighborhoods.

The mainstream press (especially the daily fishwraps) is very selective about reporting crimes in the city, even murders. The sheer number of instances makes this somewhat justifiable, and it actually helps temper negative perception in a way.

But to get all indignant over some cell phone store getting hit a few times? University Foods got a jacked a bit ago and the only reason anyone knows is because Channel 7 picked up the story, but it didn't get sent to yahoo!news and all these other outlets so it's pretty quickly forgotten.

Alexei289

Post Number: 935
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... cameras dont do shit... How many people are worried about getting caught after they get away with the crime??? NOBODY.. only a handful actually do.. and thats if they hit the same store twice or the same type of store.

IF you have manned security, it would be a bad ass deterrent to theft... because someone of this caliber knows what to look for, who to watch, and knows the tricks of the trade in thievery. Most EX marines would catch on to this job pretty quickly... AND in a high crime area, an armed guard at the door would be great for business by making their customers feeling that much more secure.

This is really easy... If your a thief.. are you going to steal shit from the store with a 6'6 ex marine with a colt 45 and a radio to the police station? Or the one with security cameras that dont work as soon as the power is cut.... your call... chances are they are going elsewhere.... and there are plenty of ex marines in the city that are looking for jobs that will fit the bill.

Why would they locate in Detroit??? Because theres money to be made. Lots of Detroiters buy cars and cell phones. Alot of moeny in the city gets transfered in cash, making the city a little bit richer than many of us want to give it credit for. Its no bullshit if you stand at 6 and Scheonerr, and watch how many 100,000$ cars pass you in 15 minutes.
I do floors in the city, and always get paid cash... I personally dont care where it comes from, thats not my problem... but I do business there because theres money to be made.

Its much easier to plan on paying that guard so much per year, and add that into your business plan, than it is to get hit with higher insurance premiums (which will go down with the guard there), and mysteriously vanishing inventory. NOT to mention that if this is offered by the owner of the place that this store is located, he would attract alot more tennents to his place if he offered this service, even if he charged for it. Its good $ spent to prevent your shit getting robbed.

Superduperman
Username: Superduperman

Post Number: 49
Posted From: 69.242.213.76
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They spent alot of money remodeling that building,it used to be called Daniels Soul Food(The food was horrible) anway you think they would spent a little extra money on preventive break in measures then again it doesn't matter if someone wants something bad enough they will figure out a way to steal it,hook or crook.....

Mw2gs
Username: Mw2gs

Post Number: 135
Posted From: 69.216.104.64
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And what makes you think Linwood is any worse of a neighborhood than 7 and Livernois? Just curious as to your reasoning

Mjb3

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a general perception of the blight present along Linwood. Also the area near the old Metropolitan Hospital(Elijah Muhammad Blvd.) strikes me as pretty "rough".

7/Livernois is University District. Also, it used to be called "The Avenue of Fashion" back in the 70s. Always seemed more stable and better protected by DPD.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1474
Posted From: 68.41.54.160
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been harping the issue of crime for a long time here.And the most response was/is Sports rather dumb (even if it supposed to be funny)retort of a thread about crime in Ann Arbor.This shit has been going on in Detroit for fucking decades and we wonder why there is a lack of businesses?

Frankly I don't see it changing until the city gets a Mayor that takes it heaps more seriously than the last 4-5 have.

Maybe Histeric or Sport or someone else will tell me to GFY but that doesn't change anything.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9651
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 3:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GFY.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1382
Posted From: 69.212.46.43
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 4:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alexei, the items have been stolen when the store was closed. No 6'6" marine would be there to stop an after hours break-in. Unfortunately, bars on the windows or roll-down shutters are the only measures to deter some of the break-ins. This is simply the way you have to do things in Detroit.

BTW, instead of bars or roll-down shutters, how effective would bullet-proof/shatter proof windows be instead? I know they would be more expensive than regular windows, but how much more expensive? Anybody know if any type of retail store uses bullet-proof/shatter proof windows as their regular store-front windows?

Superduperman
Username: Superduperman

Post Number: 51
Posted From: 69.242.213.76
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 5:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thieves are pretty resourceful nowdays,everything from climbing through the roof to stealing a truck/car and driving it through the wall/door to flat out using a tow truck to tear doors off the place to gain entry,where there is a will there is a way...

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 25
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where there is a wall there is a way...

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3382
Posted From: 152.163.100.195
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just goes to show you how little this AssHole called Mjb3 knows about Detroit ....

quote:

Just a general perception of the blight present along Linwood. Also the area near the old Metropolitan Hospital(Elijah Muhammad Blvd.) strikes me as pretty "rough".

7/Livernois is University District. Also, it used to be called "The Avenue of Fashion" back in the 70s. Always seemed more stable and better protected by DPD.

Elijah Muhammad Blvd is nowhere near the old Metro Hospital (now a U.S. Job Corps facility) and the 7/Livernois area has never been the University District .....

Dumb Racist bastard, take your ass to 7/Livernois and stand in the middle of the intersection, will ya?? Make that on a cold, rainy/snowy day too, so the drivers will have a viable excuse for running over your dumb ass!!

Black-atcha .... watching stupidity show it's best side!!

Supersport

Post Number: 9652
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Dumb Racist bastard, take your ass to 7/Livernois and stand in the middle of the intersection, will ya??

...and a happy new year!

Mjb3

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sticks and stones, Rasputin. And besides, for your geography lesson. Woodrow Wilson Ave runs right along the old Metropolitan Hospital(nr Webb). Sections of WW have been renamed E. Muhammad Blvd. And almost half the bldgs are abandoned.

And while 7/Livernois is not U district, it was the avenue of fashion and is only 1 mile north of UD. And a much smaller percentage of the bldgs are vacant. I stand by my Linwood assessment. Ground zero for blight.

Happy New Year!
White, suburban honkey-atcha!!

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 544
Posted From: 68.41.109.36
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am gonna go out on a limb here... But

Detroit needs to reduce the crime in the city.

Bertz
Username: Bertz

Post Number: 485
Posted From: 68.61.15.89
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Dumb Racist bastard" Ras, before you make a statement like this take a long look in a mirror first.

Alexei289

Post Number: 938
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Alexei, the items have been stolen when the store was closed. No 6'6" marine would be there to stop an after hours break-in. Unfortunately, bars on the windows or roll-down shutters are the only measures to deter some of the break-ins. This is simply the way you have to do things in Detroit. "

Understandable...

but not what I am proposing.

Appartment complexes have 24/7 personelle security... Im curious why the owners of retail complexes in the city cannot charge an extra fee per month to support this. Im sure that would go a long way toward keeping the place leased out if there is a thinking, calculating, human being keeping watch over the place DURING store hours and AFTER hours as well. 24-7 means 3 shifts... no big deal... just the owner would have to find a way to work this into his income.

AN even better idea for smaller realestate owners, would be to band together with other owners in the area and have a constant patrol.

Cameras dont do shit, but having a thinking person checking the place out would make it very difficult for a thief to break through a wall and make it out before taking a few shots first....

before you harp on that, I want you to think how supportive the DPD would be with having an armed guard making their jobs that much easier ... especiallt since they are that much overloaded.

Yes, if there is a will there is a way, but why steal from a place where u might take some shots instead of the place down the street with security bars....

Hamtramike
Username: Hamtramike

Post Number: 445
Posted From: 4.229.156.162
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alexei289,
good idea if every store on the block wants to contribute, but it's difficult to get everyone to participate. (kinda like block clubs. I hear the University District has a very active neighborhood association, but only a fraction of total households actually ever contribute the small yearly fee. The rest just hope to have the benifits of a security vehicle and a private plow without actually contributing)

Similar to your post on another thread, with the costs of doing business these days, many store owners just do the best they can and hope for the best......until they can't afford to and move from the city.......

((FYI-While many of the B&E's can be prevented with some common sense, the precincts have offered to send out someone from community policing to assess your business and any weak points you may have missed.)

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3386
Posted From: 68.73.192.149
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone spell, INSURANCE SCAM??

Black-atcha .... roflmbao

Supersport

Post Number: 9661
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can spell scam ok, but insurance is getting a bit long for my vocabulary.

Goat

Post Number: 7963
Posted From: 64.228.201.179
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Insurance scam. Yup! Because that's what most new store owners do in the first month of business. It couldn't be big bad Detroit and it's horrendous crime rate. Oh no.

...digging deep aren't we?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.