Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Why I dislike the Detroit media « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 265
Posted From: 69.136.144.196
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051223/METRO/512230353

This is one of the reason why I dislike our local media they take shots at the city even it doesn't deserve it. How much do wanna bet the area hadn't been expanded there'd be an "Facade grant money goes unused, building owners outside of taget area upset as they are denided fixes" article. So either way their suburbanite readers could write in(or post online) to complain about the city

(Message edited by eric on December 23, 2005)

(Message edited by eric on December 23, 2005)

(Message edited by eric on December 24, 2005)

(Message edited by eric on December 24, 2005)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1668
Posted From: 4.229.105.157
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the incorrect quote (or did they get it right?)... "It's wonderfully inconclusive" Rothwell said....

INCONCLUSIVE means failing to lead to, or result in a conclusion. :-)

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 214
Posted From: 68.43.81.191
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 2:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Umm, what was so bad about that article? It was hardly "taking potshots at the city." It was discussing real issues and included quotes from Kwame on how he intended to deal with them. Please provide me with specific quotes from that article that you think are unfair, because I don't see them. I thought the article had an overall positive tone, with the main thesis being that Kwame is actively and aggressively trying to fix the city's budget problems.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 288
Posted From: 71.10.63.140
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 2:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pretty good article actually, with some research done as well....this program looks promising

Eric

Post Number: 266
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 2:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My bad I linked the wrong article

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20051223/M ETRO/512230353

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 763
Posted From: 68.248.55.167
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Posh spots get fix-up cash

Grants meant to spiff up city's crumbling buildings for Super Bowl instead go to Detroit's top landmarks.

quote:

The Guardian Building, the Penobscot Building, the Detroit Athletic Club, the Atheneum Hotel, the Detroit Opera House and other handsome structures housing top Michigan businesses, law firms and cultural institutions...

I'd hardly call the Penobscot Building and Guardian Building "posh spots". Beautiful old buildings with great potential, maybe, but also suffering from high vacancy rates. And there aren't any top law firms in either of them. In addition, the Detroit Opera house is owned by a non-profit. Knock those 3 off the list.

This is either intentional Detroit-bashing or an article written by ignorant folks unfamiliar with Detroit.

The real issue, if there even is one, is that the company of a DDA board member received the management contract and also received grants for property it owned. This is something that should never have been allowed to happen as it taints the reputations of both the DDA and the facade improvement program. Either Madison should have resigned from the board or another Detroit-based company should have been selected that didn't have ties to the DDA board.

Eric

Post Number: 268
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I absolutely think this was intentional they intended to make the grant money is being misused. The News is getting the exact reaction it wanted in its poll

quote:

the purpose of the $12 million was to give a face lift to decrepit buildings to make the area more attractive. Nothing was accomplished by giving money to prominent buildings which looked nice. Just plain bad planning

quote:

It's no wonder why the City of Detroit is always ranked last in every poll ever taken - and I mean all of them. Did the Detroit decision makers eat paint chips when they where younger? How typical, something comes along that FINALLY might touch up Detroit a little and what do you know, the money gets squandered. We might as well start building gates around the city now, cause it will get shut down soon.. USELESS. There is no future around this area, at least not for many years to come.

quote:

Just another program for the 'gold pockets' to pick up some loss change. There was never any intent to fix anything in the first place except the pockets of the 'in' crowd. Typical Kilpatrick and big-city politics

quote:

Another sign that people running Detroit are a buch of crooks and the people that elect them are idiots. First Krummy Kilpatrick gets re-elected after his crime-ridden first term, and now the money that was supposed to spiff up our ratty looking buildings before the Superbowl comes to town goes to those buildings and businesses that do not need it. And George W. Jackson Jr., chief executive of the Detroit Economic Growth Corp., which administers the Lower Woodward Façade Improvement Program for the downtown authority, hailed the effort as a success. Unbelieveable! I guess that the stores and buildings that need the work don't pay as big of a kickback as the ones that got the money

The_nerd
Username: The_nerd

Post Number: 282
Posted From: 69.242.223.79
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric, the Detroit News Forums are pathetic. Hell I'm sure if an article was posted about the miracles of Christ, Detroit would still get bashed.

I wouldn't be suprised if some of the opinions on those forums came from the staff's ranting.

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 397
Posted From: 67.149.110.53
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not seeing Detroit bashing in the article what so ever. I see criticism of the way the funds are being spend. Where are you getting the Detroit bashing from? Is anything negative about anything in Detroit - "Detroit Bashing"? This type of article that keeps government in check. The author did the research and presented a story. I am on the fence on this issue to be honest of funding though.. Not enough information presented to make a true say of good or bad..

When they spoke to the owner of the bar that could not get money; I am curious they did not provide the framework of what was required to get the funding or what was deemed proper funding? Why was this owner denied funding that the planning council required? I know I heard rumors on this forum that the process was rather complicated and made the effort not worth the price.

Seems this was a good ole boys club.. But in the same right budgets are budgets, spend it or lose it.. The business world is weird like that..

Eric

Post Number: 269
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's bash when the critism is unfair and unbalanced. They framed this story as a give away to "posh" buildings and as a result the buildings in need are being the ignored. The headline and opening paragraphs says it all. The reason why their still "decrepit" storefronts along Woodward is that "posh" buildings are getting the money. The reponses to the article I posted reflect exactly how the story framed as a misuse of funds

The real issue that those owner can't get financing or won't participate is largley igonored. A fair article would've focused on this instead trying the create scandal where there is none.

Owner wasn't denied by a bank not by city. The city goes 50/50 on any work up 150K. If you're doing 200K of work you get 100K, 300 and beyond you get the full 150 any additional cost are yours. How complitcated the process it is I don't know

As for how the money was given out I think the city did the right things Who's to decided if an owner deserves more than someone else 50/50 was the best way to go, unfortunately that some people can't afford their share. There're no less than 7 buildings on Woodward being work on and plenty of buildings outside Broadway, Woodward and Washington that need work.

(Message edited by eric on December 25, 2005)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.