Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Visiting Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Torontogal
Username: Torontogal

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 66.46.152.42
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Everyone,

I've been trolling this forum for a while, but have never posted before. As a Toronto native, I really enjoy getting a glimpse of your city from the POV of an "insider".

Anyhow, I am planning a trip that will take me through Detroit probably the last week of January. I was hoping for some insight as to what any of you might suggest that I see/ do while I'm there (I'm planning to spend the night, or at least the better part of a day). I'll be driving. can anyone recommend a really great place to have dinner?

I was hoping to visit some of the "fabulous ruins of Detroit" as featured on this site. I'm an urban architecture enthusiast and a member of a Toronto-based urban-exploration group where we do the same sort of thing here in Southern Ontario and upstate NY. Any suggestions of places not to miss?

Just though I’d ask -- I'm looking forward to visiting your city.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1101
Posted From: 141.213.173.94
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of the Super Bowl XL festivities will probably be underway. You'll be able to see a pretty busy Detroit.

The Detroit Institute of Arts and Detroit Public Libraries (Central, across from the DIA, and downtown branches) are must sees in terms of culture. See what shows are at the Opera House or Orchestra Hall, you won't regret seeing something you are interested in at one of these venues.

Look at the Preservation Wayne website to see if there are any architectural tours while you're here, as that would be perfect for you. Our 1920s skycrapers and old churches will be great if you've got your camera. You've got to see the Gaurdian Bldg., Penobscot, and Buhl Buildings. The Fisher Building if you go to New Center. Fort Street Presbyterian, St. Anne de Detroit, and St. Joseph are spectactular churches to photograph.

You've got to see Campus Martius Park on Woodward.

For an expensive dinner Opus One, Small Plates, Andiamo's (in the Ren Cen) are the most renowned. I'm sure people will give you plenty of other more unique options. Hard Rock is cool and really geared towards visitors, of course. There are plenty of vibrant, less-expensive places in Greektown and Mexicantown to eat at.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 290
Posted From: 68.40.89.238
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try www.detroittourconnections.com or something like that, they can customize a tour for you of Downtown.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1102
Posted From: 141.213.173.94
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.mapdetroit.com too

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 282
Posted From: 71.10.62.186
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out Visitdetroit.com And then click on event calendar. From here you can select the dates and type of event your interested in (automotive, sports, theater, museum, etc).

North American International Auto Show: January 14-22....admission $12

Motown Winter Blast Feb. 2-5

You may be out of luck if you are trying to stay overnight, especially the closer you get to the SUper Bowl on February 5. You should look into making reservations immediately. Good Luck

I am sure many people here will offer tips on where to go to eat as well

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1467
Posted From: 4.229.126.138
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toronto gal is interested in ruins of architecture.......

My suggestions are: The Broderick Tower currently in the very early stages of renovation.Unfortunately I think the lobby is all boarded up but there might be access during superbowl activities.From a distance the Broderick looks dark but intact but the closer you get the broken windows and missing bits of the bldg become evident.

I love the Dexter/Linwood/Davison area.It is not a ruin but rather an elegant area that is now faded sorta like Gloria Swanson in that famous movie the name of which I can not recall.

There is lots of neat deco and moorish architecture in the area especially the old luxury apt buildings.

Agood thing would be to rent a car(if you don't have one)and start at one end of Grand blvd and drive the horseshoe route to the other where you will see a lot including.....

The Pakard plant on E.Grand blvd is a must and no further narrative is needed just go see it you will be impressed.

The Fisher bldg and the old G.M. bldg are also on W.Grand blvd both about as good of examples of 1920's skyscraper architecture as there is.

In fact the whole of Grand blvd has just about every example of what the city of Detroit is.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6293
Posted From: 198.208.251.23
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The lobby of the David Whitney bldg may have some activity inside. I have heard that is a good place to check out.

Did anyone mention the Michigan Theater garage.

May want to check out some of the mansions in Brush park as some are in a state of renovation. The one on John R and Edmund (?) draws in a lot of photographers.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.