Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Big Beaver Road is downtown SE MI? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 421
Posted From: 71.213.227.199
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's nice to see that something is being done with the vacated Kmart HQ, but will this just be a repeat of Novi's attempt to build a "walk-able" town? Nice guote from the Troy city manager.

quote:

"Our Big Beaver corridor is downtown southeast Michigan," Szerlag said.

I guess he's just doing his job selling and promoting his city. Enjoy.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20051222/BIZ/5 12220386

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1097
Posted From: 141.213.173.94
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Asshole.

They really think too highly of themselves.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9624
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Our Big Beaver corridor

LMAO! Why does that sound like a term Gamblingman would toss out there?

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 606
Posted From: 199.178.193.5
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do everything I can to avoid a Big Beaver corridor......Much prefer the leff often-visited Little Beaver corridor.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 607
Posted From: 199.178.193.5
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

....meant less, not leff....

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1235
Posted From: 68.250.205.35
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey folks, take a step back and think about it. Big Beaver around there draws a lot more people than downtown Detroit, has vibrant and very nice residential areas nearby, the best shopping in the region, tons of businesses, is safe and attracts development without subsidy or tax breaks.

So, why wouldn't it be considered downtown SE Michigan? Don't give me the architecture line or the history line, downtowns are defined by their function not their design.

Look, success is success, why shouldn't they be proud? Griping about it sounds like sour grapes to me.

As for the development, it sounds like a great plan but for some reason when I heard it on the news last night I thought they were going to do some adaptive re-use of the place or incorporate the current building into the plan(which I am sure makes zero sense) but I thought that would look *really* cool. I was actually shocked when they wrote the building would be razed.

Registeredguest
Username: Registeredguest

Post Number: 344
Posted From: 68.79.102.42
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait - I thought the M-59 corridor was the downtown of Southeast Michigan. I'm confused...

Ridiculous.

Supersport

Post Number: 9625
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey man, if you're into the Big Beaver then more power to ya. Don't go trying to convince us that the "Big Beaver" is the new cool/hip thing to hit up. To me, visiting the Big Beaver is like riding a moped, its fun until your friends see you doing it.

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 152
Posted From: 71.144.84.66
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I think about a vibrant downtown with lots of closely-knit shopping, restaurants, and nice places to live, where I can leave the car at home and walk where I need to go, the first place I think of is Big Beaver Road in Troy.

/sarcasm

In fact, I'm going to forget about the sarcasm here. The way Troy has developed itself should be the #1 urban planning example of what NOT to do. The entire city is the ultimate in bad development.

(Message edited by chris_rohn on December 22, 2005)

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1098
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dialh, what about function? Is it walkable? Even where there are sidewalks, can you walk from your house to a practical grocery store? Can you walk between stores? Only within the closed confines of Somerset. Is there dense residential development? From an urban planning standpoint, does it resemble anybody's downtown?...let's look at satelite picture. And I will play the history and architecture card. Downtowns are made, not born out of someone's proclamation.

I seriously doubt more people work in and visit Big Beaver than downtown (although it probably beats the rest of MI in terms of shopping, but only because of one mall). No one thinks of Big Beaver as a place to hold special events or do something cultural, and I fear the day when someone undoubtedly tries to make it that.

Lt_tom
Username: Lt_tom

Post Number: 50
Posted From: 24.208.255.171
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They should make it like Victoria Gardens in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1327
Posted From: 209.131.7.68
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As we talked about many times on the forum. The population centroid for the metropolis is in Southfield (maybe NW Detroit if you add in Canada).

It is not in Troy. Troy is just another one of the many edge cities.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the pace of subsidized sprawl, though, it looks more and more like the center everyday, at least from an Oakland-centric viewpoint. I really wouldn't mind if they called it downtown Oakland county.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 65
Posted From: 66.238.130.148
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Troy planners" is an oxymoron.

Big Beaver is not walkable unless you're in a mall. When the road was being rebuilt I formally requested sidewalks, mid-block crossings, and bike lanes, the latter because it's a designated bike route. They said they were satisfied having one sidewalk on one side of the road.

In my eyes, Troy's only redeeming quality is its excellent Indian restaurants.

(Message edited by fishtoes2000 on December 22, 2005)

Boss_hogg
Username: Boss_hogg

Post Number: 24
Posted From: 66.178.225.98
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread is confusing me. It seems like a bunch of guys trying to avoid getting to close to the "big beaver" or debating what type shopping is better: walkable or suburban. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1237
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look, I think it's a travesty that Troy is such a hub of economic activity. But seriously, it's doing much better than downtown Detroit has done in the last 25 years, and Detroit has got a long way to go before it matches that level of growth.

I just think this thread is an example of a certain level of hypocrisy found on this forum, specifically the "divisive regionalist" variety. Followed closely by the "blind but they can't see" variant.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1466
Posted From: 4.229.126.138
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Often it is difficult to face the truth Dialh4....but you do speak it here.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2171
Posted From: 12.75.21.134
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Absolutely right, Dialh.

Even a Detroit-loving urbanophile ought to easily be able to see that the KMart parcel is prime property (~$1MM/acre for 40 acres). It may not be your cup of tea but does anyone doubt that a mixed use development on Big Beaver near I-75 and Somerset will be a big success?

Non-descript new ugly look-a-like vinyl box houses just east of that area sold out quickly at $350K - $400K. Even I was surprised at that, and I've always understood quite well that some people just want to live in a non-descript suburban subdivision.

Many folks on this forum wouldn't be caught dead shopping in Troy, much less living there with their 2.5 kids. But since 80% of region is composed of suburbanites it shouldn't be surprising that many will pay big money to live in a place like Troy with excellent schools, a plethora of shopping, low crime and a convenient location. No it's not walkable or unique or character-laden but face it, those attributes are pretty low on most people's priority lists.

If the development is done well it could be a very attractive place for many. And given the draw of a place like Troy for many (seriously, it's true even though it breaks your heart), even a pretty ho-hum development will sell quickly at premium prices.

Szerlag's comment about Big Beaver being SEMI's "downtown" is certainly an exaggeration but Troy does have a major commercial and retail corridor near the economic (not population) center of SEMI.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6288
Posted From: 198.208.251.23
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now the question is: Will this have a negative impact on the other shopping corridors.

Metro Detroit does not have a single area that is a destination for people to come from other cities on a regular basis. The 4.5 MM people in SE Michigan have a celing of disposable income and many of those folks are already maxed out on second mortgages.

This will not bring in new residents to SE Mich, just replace them from other areas and will not result in more (or noticeably) more sales of consumer goods. So who will suffer from this. Will it be Somerset, M-59, 'downtown' Rochester.

I really do not think that SE Michigan has a need for another upscale retail corridor and the money to support these businesses will come at the expense of others. Will local businesses that move into this area abandon other storefronts in Troy. Sterling Heights, etc and leave more 'for lease' signs that are already amassing on nearly every strip mall in SE Michigan?

Until SE Michigan can create more well paying jobs or bring in new residents all of these new upscale corridors will be very cannibalistic in nature and when the bottom falls out on all of the interest only mortgages and GM, Delphi, EDS continue to cut jobs the stores will simply close shop after their lease and move on to greener pastures.

Maybe I'm wrong and my scenario is very exagerrated but this area has got to be at the tipping point of disposable income. $8-10/hour retail and restaurant jobs aren't going to keep SE michigan afloat and new construction is only a band aid since it will come at the expense of existing retail areas.

Done with my rant. Yay for Troy, boo for the rest of SE Michigan but of course we are only a collection of cities, not a region with a viable plan.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 652
Posted From: 209.104.146.146
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Troy, but even I laughed at this comment.

Supersport

Post Number: 9631
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big Beaver....exit 69....nuff said. Seriously, I'd love to shave the person's hand responsible for THAT planning.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1460
Posted From: 129.9.163.106
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Big Beaver....exit 69....nuff said. Seriously, I'd love to shave the person's hand responsible for THAT planning.

Why, Do you think he has hairy palms?

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1239
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MAN that was good!

Rrl

Post Number: 422
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

somebody should open a party store on that street and call it...

Big Beaver Liquors

Jt1

Post Number: 6291
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big Beaver hors........d'oevrs (Sp?)

Or a sandwich place called Big Beaver wraps.

Rrl

Post Number: 423
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A scuba shop called...

Big Beaver Divers

Ahh,how we have regressed.

Jt1

Post Number: 6292
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An accesory store called Big Beaver muffs

A carpet cleaning place - Big Beaver stain removers

A meat shop called 'Fresh Big Beaver Meat'

Supersport

Post Number: 9633
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NDavies,

I'd go back and edit that if it wasn't so damn funny!

Supersport

Post Number: 9634
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plus, since the hotfudgers often lack substance it'll give them something to talk about. hahaha

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1654
Posted From: 4.229.72.223
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess someone forgot to tell the OAKLAND COUNTY Pistons that they passed downtown on their way down to Woodward near the river to celebrate their victory a few years back.... Ditto for the Thanksgiving Day Parade.

And Dialh4hipster, I am kinda surprised you're not that upset about the razing of the modern style Kmart HQ. It could be the finest modern building built in the 1970's in southeast Michigan. Even I am upset over that one. In the future when people see it in old architecture books they will be saying... wow what were they thinking when they ripped it down. Such a nice complex, and it lasted only about 35 years.

Somehow I believe that whatever they build there at Big Beaver/Coolidge, will not be as architecturally stunning as what is there now. Troy may get more retail, but architecturally it will be a diminished city without that complex.

(Message edited by gistok on December 22, 2005)

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 613
Posted From: 69.208.112.152
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does he really believe that or is it just posturing?

Memo to John Szerlag, Troy City Planner (quoted in article):

I work on Big Beaver and I can tell you, categorically, that Big Beaver is not a downtown. It is a wretched, soulless, dehumanizing, architecturally bankrupt strip of ugly suburban office buildings that makes me want to vomit every morning as I drive into work.

And, should you discount my lone opinion, I can say with certainty that this view would be emphatically shared by the many hundreds of thousands of former Detroiters so happily ensconced in Chicago, New York, SF, Boston and the other great cities of America that have siphoned off two entire generations of our region's best human capital.

The only thing remarkable about Big Beaver is its name, which I must admit has given Troy somewhat of a national reputation among business travellers. More than once in distant cities I have heard consultants or sales guys titering in the hotel bar about the fact that "some city in Michigan" actually named a major commercial street "Big Beaver" and then, as if that joke alone might be too subtle, placed it off exit 69.

If this suburban strip development is your answer to the loss of downtown Detroit, I hope you're resume is up to date, because, you, Troy and our entire region are on the express train to economic oblivion.

Oh, hey... how's your vacancy rate?

(Message edited by ray on December 22, 2005)

Gistok

Post Number: 1657
Posted From: 4.229.90.224
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, who are you talking to? In case it is me, I only like the Kmart HQ as a nice example of modern architecture (of which I am not a really big fan of). I too used to work in Troy, and I basically agree with your assessment, although a few buildings are not that bad.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 106
Posted From: 69.212.46.167
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen Ray, I couldn't have said it better myself.

I work in Birmingham and shutter every time I have to drive through Troy on Big Beaver road. It is almost as bad as where I grew up. Just north of M-59 in Macomb Twp! Now that is truly a suburban strip of hell.

Ray

Post Number: 615
Posted From: 69.208.112.152
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,

Hey, you talkin' to me!

I would never direct such venom at you or anyone else in the forum! The rest of the world is a fair target.

I was writing to the person quoted in the article, John Szerlag. I was being rhetorical, but secretly, I always suspect that, with the ubiquity of the Internet, when a person of modest public stature (like John Szerlag) generates a stir on our board, somebody on the forum who knows him will send him a link. Then, intoxicated by his modest celebrity, he will be unable to resist the temptation to read it, and thus will he arrive here to face my pious wrath.

(Message edited by ray on December 22, 2005)

Clark1mt
Username: Clark1mt

Post Number: 30
Posted From: 4.229.99.143
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Kmart building might be nice architecture, but it's a bad setup for good business. The building lent itself to a cellular culture, where there wasn't that much interaction between departments beyond what was necassary. That didn't help productivity, and in its own way contributed a bit to Kmart's financial problems. Having been in there a lot (my father STILL works there), it's easy to get lost. It's a building poorly suited to it's purpose.

The remaining employees there will either move to Illinois or to a building across Big Beaver, or so I'm told.

Gistok

Post Number: 1660
Posted From: 4.229.90.224
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ray! I was confused! :-)

Clark, good point. It is a stunning sight along Big Beaver, and very much a product of the 1970's when that kind of environment must have been in vogue. Today however, even cubicle walls are no longer "in".

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 401
Posted From: 68.255.243.195
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My personal opinion about Troy is summed up by Ray's comments. I work in Troy and refuse to drive down Big Beaver. Although, it is the premier mall / shopping in SE Michigan, I hate going to Sommerset. Overall, if Troy is our "downtown" for the region, it's no WONDER people hate living in the Detroit area.

I also agree with JT1 that this will be a caniballistic development of the entire region. Also, Troy is not doing so well in the office market these days, either. I see more FOR LEASE signs in Troy now than ever! I still cannot believe the horrible development on Coolidge and 15 mile sold out as fast as it did. *shudder*

Regardless, if this is what the people of the region want, good for them. I will continue to live in the real Downtown... in Detroit. It's much more comfortable... for me.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 596
Posted From: 12.64.72.74
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some photos of K-mart HQ, from when it was built out in the wilds of Troy in the 70s, from WSU/VMC.

K-mart HQ aerial

K-mart HQ entrance

K-mart HQ interior

Might as well post some pics of it before it gets bulldozed.

Quickdrawmcgraw
Username: Quickdrawmcgraw

Post Number: 30
Posted From: 63.77.247.130
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big Beaver in Troy on a paper and a cluster of buildings may seem like a "downtown"; however, it doesn't have the characterists of a "downtown" that most cities, villages and townships have developed over the years. Somerset and the area is a "shopper's destination" not a downtown. Pontiac has a "downtown" (even though not much).

Ray

Post Number: 617
Posted From: 68.41.160.200
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 2:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's what really pisses me off, and then I promsise I will shut up.

Why, why, why didn't they actually build a downtown when Troy was developed? They have enough square footage, great stores, decent restaurants. The could have actually created a nice downtown.

I guess this is a stupid question. It's like asking why, why, why doesn't my dog play piano? Becaue he simply can't; and neither can the developers, politicians and citizens of suburan Detroit understand, appreciate, accept and demand an urban experience.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 86
Posted From: 24.231.201.120
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because during those days, leaving the city meant leaving urbanism behind. Those folks wanted wide spread out shopping plazas so they could enjoy the pleasures of driving from one place to another. Of course, now people are realizing that this all kind of sucks.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 703
Posted From: 69.246.13.131
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 3:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since it is so popular in Lansing to rename highways, how about a resolution to rename I75 as it passes thru Troy at the Big Wood Highway?

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Gistok - don't get me wrong, I am definitely sad about the razing of the current structures. I seriously just assumed they would be incorporating it until I read that article. Some sort of re-use could have been EXTREMELY cool, and really set a benchmark for (a) preservation of modernist structures and (b) creating innovating and really contemporary live/work space in the area.

I guess technically they haven't committed to tearing it down, but I feel it's only logical that they will and we can expect some more neo-traditional architecture in its place.

I'm also a little worked up about the building that was Yamasaki's architecture studio being razed further down Big Beaver, to be replaced with a hotel (?) tower. There's no way that'll be saved though - it's a low wide building with a lot of green space on some seriously valuable real estate.

Sad losses of significant structures that exemplify when the metro Detroit area contributed a bit more to contemporary culture.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 66
Posted From: 69.14.26.135
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Freep:
"Troy officials will begin the new year looking for a new city manager. John Szerlag, who has had the job for seven years, is to be city manager for Sunny Isles Beach, Fla., between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale.
Szerlag could not be reached for comment."
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20051224/NEW S05/512240312/1007/NEWS

Hooha
Username: Hooha

Post Number: 64
Posted From: 69.81.52.188
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like how the author of the article put "urban village" in quotes.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 922
Posted From: 70.145.43.248
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 3:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wolverine nailed it with his post.

Gmich99
Username: Gmich99

Post Number: 38
Posted From: 65.29.97.102
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Cabella's in Dundee was Michigan's downtown

Citylover

Post Number: 1475
Posted From: 4.229.123.70
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not intending to have a "told you so" attitude but my guess is part of what is fueling this venom is the fact that downtown Detroit is not really the downtown it should be.

I agree Troy is hardly a downtown the way it is traditionally thought.But as Dialh said in terms of activity, retail and diversity it functions more as a downtown that Detroit's downtown.

Btw there is quite a lot of modern architecture within the city.So it is not the bldgs but the location.I happen to love the Lafayette pk Van Der roe(sp) complex, as well as the Mich-con(Yamasaki/Smith/Grylis etc)and even Ford aud.

Who would not love to have the Somerset stores located in the city? Even in some modern style?

As for Kmart and the demo of this particular bldg it is interesting that of the previous two Kmart/Kresge HQ's both are now in use.The Kales bldg very nicely restored and the Cass pk bldg a fine piece of architecture that won awards for it's design.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3142
Posted From: 65.222.10.3
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a little tidbit I bet nobody knows about. Back in the very late 60’s, planners had gotten together and designated the area on Van Dyke near 18 Mile Road as a possible location for a northern suburb business district. This area now has about 7 car dealerships and that annoying European traffic circle. I am not sure if the idea was shot down, or what, but that area would have looked similar to what the Somerset area looks like now.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 546
Posted From: 68.41.109.36
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 3:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I guess some people are buying the hype. Read this.

Morton's To Open Second Michigan Location
By Amy Wolff Sorter
Last updated: December 22, 2005 01:25pm

(For more retail coverage, click GlobeSt.com/RETAIL.)

TROY, MI-Morton's Restaurant Group, based in Chicago, has plans to open a new 7,400-sf location in the downtown area, at a cost of $1.6 million. The property will represent Morton's second Michigan location.

The restaurant, to be located at 888 W. Big Beaver Rd., will have a different feel from the standard, more subdued décor featured in other Morton's throughout the country. Designed by Aumiller Youngquist, PC of Chicago, the restaurant, scheduled for opening in March, 2006, will have more of an open atmosphere, complete with a more spacious lounge, complete with hanging light fixtures as opposed to recessed illumination.

In the dining area, the carpeting will change to leaf green from dark blue, and the room will have exposed light fixtures, with colored paint replacing the typical white. R.D. Olson in Irvine, CA, which has built six other steakhouses for the Morton's Restaurant Group throughout the US and Canada is the general contractor for the project.

Gistok

Post Number: 1687
Posted From: 4.229.147.82
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 4:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ummmm Patrick, from several folks who drive thru that "annoying" traffic circle at Van Dyck and 18 1/2 Mile Rd.... that I have talked to.... they say that congestion has actually been relieved by it.

Mike

Post Number: 547
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the article that I posted, I had no clue where the "downtown area" would be. Then I read the next sentence. BIG BEAVER Road.

BIG BEAVER road? What the fuck. Big Beaver road? This is downtown Troy? Ahh... This region kills me.

I visited a downtown today. A real downtown, not a main street (Royal Oak) but a real downtown, not one with offices, parking lots and shopping malls, but a real downtown. With nice parks, wide sidewalks, skyscrappers, and many people going about their business, walking from place to place. I was on Woodward, Washington, Jefferson, Larned, Gratiot, Monroe... and others. Not one freaking street named after a woodland creature.

Big Beaver road. Fuck big beaver. Fuck troy and this whole region. Go live in your parking lot oasis.

Citylover

Post Number: 1481
Posted From: 4.229.123.156
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought you were gonna say Chicago or New York or Pittsburgh or.........well you get the idea; Detroit is not a real downtown anymore Mike.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 304
Posted From: 71.10.63.140
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, citylover, its not a FAKE downtown like Royal Oak, or Big Beaver Rd!!

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3149
Posted From: 70.236.178.181
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ummmmm, Gistok, no, it has made things worse. I too drive through it almost everyday, and I am one of the few that do actually know how to do it. the other 2/3rds do not.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 930
Posted From: 70.145.43.248
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lighten up folks... Detroit and Royal Oak and Ann Arbor all have real downtowns. Troy does not. Royal Oak and Ann Arbor are simply smaller city downtowns. Detroit is the big city downtown with more density, restaurants and clubs, but with a problematic lack of retail, but also with more potential and visible improvement every day.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 721
Posted From: 69.246.13.131
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

perhaps the folks on Big Beaver should try to De-Troy-it.

/sorry

Mike

Post Number: 548
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 4:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would not call Royal Oak a Downtown. Its a main street.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 477
Posted From: 69.242.214.106
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 4:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big Beaver road is not a downtown.

If the criteria for a "downtown" is simply defined as a cluster of stores or offices, every shopping mall or office park qualifies as a "downtown".

Sommerset mall has more stores than downtown Detroit , but that doesn't make it a downtown.

The Mall of America has more stores than downtown Minneapolis, but it's not a downtown.

The Hall road corridor has more stores and offices than Mt. Clemens, but Hall road isn't considered to be a "downtown".

A shopping mall and a few office parks doesn't qualify as a downtown.

Lt_tom
Username: Lt_tom

Post Number: 52
Posted From: 24.208.255.171
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 4:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In keeping with the current topic of arguing over stupid shit, I'd say that Big Beaver is in fact, a downtown, because its geographically in the Southern half of Troy.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.