Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Lofts @ Grand River & W. Elizabeth? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 699
Posted From: 209.131.7.190
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have any details? I thought these were commercial storefronts being rehabilitated, but I drove by last night and it looks like the first floor units are being finished for residential.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 135
Posted From: 69.221.32.98
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they FINALLY are finishing that building? my hubby and i walked around there 2.5 yrs ago on teh 4th floor looking at it as a loft...they had no takers initially

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 1586
Posted From: 66.2.148.11
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to know folks that lived there, and they described the basement having a couple feet of raw sewage...I'm sure the landlords have fixed that by now.

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1322
Posted From: 68.61.197.206
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't picture this building... anyone have pics?

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 799
Posted From: 65.196.220.198
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Engineering Institute or something like that. It is a coup[le bloks from the GAR and across Elizabeth from the Moose Hall.

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 252
Posted From: 68.85.153.94
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 4:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived there for two years and I have to say that I have little faith in Boydell's commitment to that building. The ceiling fell in above the stairwell at the same time they were doing most of the work you see now on the 1st floor lofts and they did nothing to repair the hole. That work has been going on for so long that I don't believe it will be finished. One night while in my apartment I heard and felt a tremendous explosion. I thought that a bomb had gone off by the DTE building. Upon further inspection I found that one of the elvated lofts in the newly renovated 1st floor apartments had crashed to the ground! Imagine if someone had been living in that space.

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 253
Posted From: 68.85.153.94
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 4:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived there for two years and I have to say that I have little faith in Boydell's commitment to that building. The ceiling fell in above the stairwell at the same time they were doing most of the work you see now on the 1st floor lofts and they did nothing to repair the hole. That work has been going on for so long that I don't believe it will be finished. One night while in my apartment I heard and felt a tremendous explosion. I thought that a bomb had gone off by the DTE building. Upon further inspection I found that one of the elvated lofts in the newly renovated 1st floor apartments had crashed to the ground! Imagine if someone had been living in that space.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.