Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Why does Ramada allow its name on that dump? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 378
Posted From: 35.12.21.155
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 4:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A late night musing here-- Maybe this has been covered before, but why the hell does Ramada allow its name on the old Leland? Are there no minimum standards that properties must adhere to to call themselves a Ramada? Is Michael Higgins best pals with the Ramada CEO? What gives? I know that people have written to Ramada with their complaints.

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 140
Posted From: 68.41.153.99
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 4:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm sorry -- i missed the part where the ramada had standards?

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 263
Posted From: 69.136.144.196
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 4:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know I've wondered the same thing. I know Ramada ain't exactly on the high end of hotel chains, but given it's condition you'd think they would disown that place

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4602
Posted From: 68.43.31.87
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 5:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I talked to a guy standing in line for night 3 of the Bob Dylan run at the State in '04, and he was visiting from Toronto. I asked him where he was staying, he said the Ramada. And then went on a ten-minute rant about how it was the nastiest hotel he had ever stayed in, was absolutely horrible in comparison to the scores of Ramada hotels he had stayed in in other cities, and even commented more than once that "I felt like I was the only one staying there... The place was empty." Not the kind of stories I liked to hear, that's for sure. And it seems like every account I see about it says pretty much the same thing.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 762
Posted From: 204.39.228.13
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 5:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't there talk of fixing the place up when he announced the conversion of the Broderick? Also think the Farwell was included as well.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 2840
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 5:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many floors are used? I heard that there are large swaths of the thing that are unused, and haven't heard a good story out of it besides how cheap the rates are. I could have been lied to, though.

Newlaster
Username: Newlaster

Post Number: 162
Posted From: 24.145.223.190
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A number of the floors are rented out as apartments.

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 137
Posted From: 68.42.79.14
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well The building itself is a classic and breakfast with Luci and Ethel is a nice change from Brooklyn grill. The lobby looks in good shape. To bad the place isn't used more.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 556
Posted From: 68.21.62.206
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I'll tell my positive story, then.

A group of friends and I had a party at the Downtown Ramada for New Year's 1998. We reserved two rooms and between the lobby bar and tearin' it up pretty good in our rooms, we had a great time.

When we arrived, we were promptly greeted and checked-in. The lobby is magnificent, as was the ballroom. Our room was clean and fresh. Plain, but clean and fresh. Our view was over Times Square and we couldn't have been happier.

Since then, I've had no reason to go back, but I've never heard another good thing about the place.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1257
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some "friends" used to score a lot of drugs there...

And the Peacock Lounge (I think that was the name) was a very interesting little spot.

I once asked a guy for a lighter, he turned around, pulled out a half sheet of blotter and said "how many tabs?" I said "no, a lighter" and he replied, "sorry dude, i don't smoke".

And turned around and watched the band as if nothing had happened.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 291
Posted From: 68.40.89.238
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The lobby is great and I think it could be a great hotel with some investment - but right now it is a dump. I guess Ramada isn't so concerned about protecting its name and reputation as it once was.

My brother managed a couple Holiday Inns, a Days Inn and a Marriot and all of them did several inspections per year and if you did not meet their standards, you were given a certain amount of time to improve or lose the name and national reservation system access.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1653
Posted From: 4.229.72.223
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Ramada (former Leland House Hotel) was built in the late 1920's by Rapp & Rapp, the same architectural firm that designed the Michigan Theatre, and about a hundred other theatres around the country (such as the Chicago Theatre, the NYC Paramount, Loew's Jersey, Palace in Cleveland). It was built in the Italian Renaissance style.

Commodore64
Username: Commodore64

Post Number: 179
Posted From: 208.39.170.77
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear the place is haunted too. It doesn't sound like a good place for a rest. Its more of an adventure.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 55
Posted From: 63.65.97.67
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

with the city club there you can rest easy with good music on the weekends!

Krawlspace
Username: Krawlspace

Post Number: 220
Posted From: 69.47.77.195
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are several floors that are empty, some to the bear walls. At least they were around 2000. Some friends and I went on an unlocked door hunt after spending some time in Shitty Club. Some areas had no power, but one of us found a flashlight and we were set. Got all the way to the roof. Also into a weird sort of mezzanine causeway. Some of the empty floors had the walls knocked out and were used as storage of old mattresses and dressers. Didn't find too much in the corners or attic except a stained placard from about 1920 advertising a boxing match. Has a cool shot of a boxer in his stance, slicked back hair and all. I have no idea how it is now, but if you're curious, look for cameras, then try the door! You never know what's on the other side...

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 2903
Posted From: 192.220.139.10
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Imagine Babe Ruth, Yogi Berra, Joe Di Maggio, Scooter Rizzito, Boom Boom Geffrion, et. al. enjoying the Detroit Leland Hotel. The Babe played the piano in the bar. Now that's Ruthian!

The place has seen better, much better, days.

jjaba, waiting in line for an autograph after the game.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 2842
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Newlaster, so their are floors of this hotel that are a residential hotel? It would make since, but I never knew that.

Courtney
Username: Courtney

Post Number: 87
Posted From: 68.248.81.142
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last time I stayed in a Ramada was in 1986 in Corpus Christi, TX. I would rather forget they don't exist. =)

I think they have the same thing going as Best Western - they aren't owned by the company and so there are rather, uhm, relaxed, as to what standards need to be met.

As for being haunted, we used to know some people who worked at the Lab and they swore the basement was haunted. There have also been more than a few suicides (and "suicides") of people my SO knew/knew of from Shitty Club that lived there, so it probably gives off creepy vibes, at minimum.

Austinjohn
Username: Austinjohn

Post Number: 270
Posted From: 24.28.76.93
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stayed at the Ramada ONE time about 7 years ago. The room was just OK, but the place was creepy and in disrepair. I stayed one night and in the morning moved over to the Courtyard on Jefferson for about $20.00 more per night. The reviews I have read indicate that the place has gone downhill since then, and I can't imagine that it could be worse. I heard strange noises all night, and wouldn't be surprised that it is haunted. I do like the building and it has great potential, but the ownership needs to change before that will happen. Ramada doesn't seem to care about the condition of their hotels. The last few that I stayed in were about the same as the one in downtown Detroit. Scary!

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 206.80.245.66
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone who's interested should do a search on tripadvisor.com and read some of the nasty things that are written about the Ramada/Leland. Many comments about transients, etc, wandering around the hotel floors. As a side note, not many people have very good things to say about the Pontchatrain either, mind you the Pontch has actually managed to lose a couple of brand names over the years, in the last ten years I remember it being a Radisson once and a Crowne Plaza twice. To further something mentioned by a previous post, almost all hotel chains nowadays are primarily franchise operations--that is individuals or companies own the properties and buy the rights to use the name. Ramada is no exception, and is under the umbrella of a corporation called Cendant, which also runs Days Inn, Knights Inn, Super 8, Travelodge, Howard Johnson and Avis Rent-a-Car. Cendant has developed a bad rap over the years for lax standards resulting in it's brand names being on some grimy properties. Ramada and Howard Johnson were both once high-standard chains in the Holiday Inn category--but both have slipped badly standard-wise in the last few years, with the Leland being no exception. Prior to Cendant, Ramada was owned by a company called Prime Motor Inns, which went bankrupt after taking on huge debt to buy the Howard Johnson chain in a complex deal involving Marriott in the 1980s.

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 404
Posted From: 67.149.110.53
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 3:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I had the same experience this year at a best western in Chicago... They gave me a free hotel stay because I bitched.. It was bad.. The first room was terrible.. For a 3 star hotel I expected a bit better. The second room was non-smoking.. ok whatever for you non-smokers but it had hair in the sink and bathtub.. Gross.

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency on Wacker the next night.. WHAT A DIFFERENCE.. and I saved 20 bucks.. WTF is up with that? Best hotel I have stayed at in a long time.. I travel 3 times a year.. BTW.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1416
Posted From: 69.212.224.104
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Are there no minimum standards that properties must adhere to to call themselves a Ramada?

Sort of. I used to manage a Knights Inn, which is run by the same parent company as Ramada. Almost all of their properties operate under a franchise agreement.

There is an initial inspection that hotels have to pass before they are allowed to become a Knights Inn/Ramada/whatever. Once they are in, however, it's rare for them to revoke a franchise.

Gistok

Post Number: 1674
Posted From: 207.69.137.22
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 3:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PBS's 11 PM Week night "ARE YOU BEING SERVED" Britcom......

Mrs. Slocum: "Captain Peacock, just how good is a one star hotel"?

Captain Peacock: "Well let me put it to you this way Mrs. Slocum, there is no such thing as a NO Star hotel".

Audible_nectar
Username: Audible_nectar

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 12.214.103.152
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this the Ramada listed at 400 Bagley? If so, those suckers who bought this for Super Bowl are gonna be upset, because that place was charging over $300 per night for Super Bowl (and it is sold out).

It's interesting that this place was "brought up" on this forum, as I have been shopping for an "upgraded location" for Super Bowl weekend in Detroit (from the Howell digs I have currently arranged). Not that the Ramada is "available" anyway, but the Ramada certainly sounds like "one to avoid", even if it was :-)

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 165
Posted From: 67.149.185.244
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

on forgottenmichigan.com they have some nice pictures of the upper floors http://forgottenmichigan.com/g allery/UE/Ramada-Inn http://travel.yahoo.com/p-reviews-357672-prod-hotel-action-read-ratings_and_reviews-i;_ylt=AhouFx1yNGdnl2_tR2UZEVTiphQB

(Message edited by ddaydave on December 26, 2005)

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1473
Posted From: 4.229.126.181
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Audible people are gonna be really pissed at 300 per nite.This will make Detroit look bad.But I am not sure there are any really high toned hotels in the city at least not the kind found in cities such as San Fran, Chi, London, Nyc.....

Nem
Username: Nem

Post Number: 26
Posted From: 68.61.183.215
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And here I thought I was the only one watching "Are You Being Served" each night :-)

I love British comedy!

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 924
Posted From: 70.145.43.248
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the tripadvisor link for the lazy... some fun reading. (scroll down to read the reviews)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g42139-d89998-r4130837-Ramada_Inn_Downtown_Detroit-Detroit_Michigan.html

(Message edited by Dougw on December 26, 2005)

Ddaydave

Post Number: 166
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel bad for laughing so hard ...read those reviews ...WOW

Gistok

Post Number: 1679
Posted From: 207.69.138.12
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slumlord Michael Higgins makes out of towners stay in Detroit a living nightmare. No wonder the city has such a bad rap at times.

The city needs to start issuing some serious citations.

A good way to rent out your house or apartment during the Superbowl is to go to the Ramada and observe angry guests at the front desk. I bet it would be easy to rent out a residence with the disgruntled Superbowl guests having nowhere else to go.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 612
Posted From: 70.229.125.80
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha, just got done reading a lot of stuff on that site. I loved the folks talking about how unsafe the area around the Omni was and the dingy bars in the neighborhood. Now I know how some of you guys feel when people talk smack about your neighborhoods...

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 927
Posted From: 70.145.43.248
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully there won't be as many people tricked into staying there, now that Expedia has lowered its rating on this hotel to 1 star from 3. I see orbitz.com still rates it at 3 stars, though... ridiculous.

It's probably in the best interest of the city's image to at least make sure the hotel is rated accurately, and it would probably be best if it lost its Ramada affiliation. If it's a no-name hotel, at least people won't be as shocked if it turns out to be a dive. (Every major city has at least one dive.)

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1419
Posted From: 69.212.35.51
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Is this the Ramada listed at 400 Bagley? If so, those suckers who bought this for Super Bowl are gonna be upset, because that place was charging over $300 per night for Super Bowl (and it is sold out).

Oh, dear God!!!

I seriously hope that someone is doing some major renovations to that place. Otherwise, we may have a small riot on our hands come February.

Ddaydave

Post Number: 167
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

after reading all the reviews I copied and pasted some of the highlights ..
I would rather stay at the hotel from "The Shining" with Redrum kid!!!!!"

Holy Crap!!! Don't stay here!"

for God's sake DO NOT ENTER THE STAIRWELLS. They were dark, smelled of urine, and had graffti all over them. We ran for our lives down those stairs

vagrants whom roam the halls freely (with Liquor in hand)

The first person we saw looked like an inbred on crack cocaine

I would not let my dog Duke stay here!!!

were approached to buy crack in the hotel lobby and bums begged us for money in the elevator

The stairwell was filled with graffitti, urine, condoms and beer bottles

We spent the whole night with the lights on and the TV playing to try to keep the roaches at bay.

There were hairs on the bathroom wall...not going to specify what kind of hair

The smell of the place lingered on our clothes the next day

it is not uncommon for there to be someone vomitting as well as outside the building

Sleep in your car, Sleep on the street but dont sleep here. This hotel is so bad roaches would not sleep there

The shower pipe was taped to the wall w/ masking tape to prevent any drywall from falling

there were blood stains all over the carpet.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 715
Posted From: 69.246.13.131
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.ramada.com/Ramada/c ontrol/Booking/property_info?p ropertyId=00617&brandInfo=RA

The official page of the hotel. I love this line.
"It's 100 guest rooms offer plenty of space to work or simply relax, along with a complete list of welcome amenities including cable television."
I guess that about it for amenities, cable tv..whoope!

Evelethcdenver
Username: Evelethcdenver

Post Number: 79
Posted From: 209.180.254.19
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 3:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was some funny reading. You would think that Ramada would do something since most of the people said that they would never stay in another Ramada ever again.

Nuclearxwinter
Username: Nuclearxwinter

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 66.43.171.103
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 4:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Am I the only one who is absolutely.. amazed? I would love to go there! There is something about places like that which really interests me.. I cant quite put my finger on it.. but I may stay there when I go up to Detroit on my job search.. maybe I will even apply there.. perhaps they can use workers that know what quality hotel service is supposed to be like.

The last few photos on the forgotten detroit website are beautiful. There is something so.. eerie and haunting that the photographer was able to capture in photos number 24 and 25..and also photos 1 and 2..and much of the hotel looks like the setting for some weird David Lynch film.. (Has anyone seen the "Hotel Room" series?)I am in love!

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1383
Posted From: 69.212.46.43
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 5:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nuclear, you may be the only one absolutely crazy enough to want to stay and work there.:-) I'm sure if the Ramada was fixed up, it would be a great asset to downtown. Right now it doesn't sound that way.

If the only people who stayed there were Detroiters, then maybe we could treat it like our crazy aunt we keep in the basement. We know she's an embarrassment for the family, but as long as we keep her from the public we can live with her.

The problem with the Ramada is that visitors who stay there, get the wrong impression of Detroit, and then go back home and tell others about their bad experience, dissuading others from wanting to come here.

The place should have its license revoked as a hotel and forced to make repairs and upgrades. With the Super Bowl a few months away, a stay at this join by a visitor will kill all the positives I'm sure will occur during that visitor's stay here. Shame on you, Mr. Higgins.

(Message edited by royce on December 28, 2005)

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 2916
Posted From: 192.220.139.25
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, what's your address phone number and email. I'm sending over a dozen cigar chomping, noisy beer swilling drunken Super Bowlers to rent from you.
jjaba, LOL.

Funkycarrie
Username: Funkycarrie

Post Number: 114
Posted From: 69.208.32.222
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived there for over a year, and when we moved in it really wasn't horrendous...we were also running as fast as possible from Jean Nash, so that might have something to do with our delight.
The place went downhill fast, the elevators break all the time, the place was super dirty, but I didn't have any issues with it since our apartment was cleaned by us...so who cares? The people that work there, once you warm up to them, are awesome, and I must say I miss the characters at that place. I finally had it though when they couldn't get their water issues straightened out and we had brown water for 3 days and then no water for a few more. Our bikes also were stolen out of the "guarded" "videotaped" parking lot.
I've seen the hotel rooms...and I don't blame people for writing the bad reviews, I'd be pissed too if I stayed in a hotel like that on the road, and I do a lot of travelling. Its disgusting, and I'm suprised as well that the Ramada hasn't removed its name from there. I heard rumors when we first moved in that it was happening, but it never did.
But like it's been said, the lobby and ballroom are gorgeous, it just needs some elbow grease, unfortunately Higgins would never swing for it, he could make a killing with it as well, so I really don't get why it's not fixed up.

The floors that are all apartments, are gross, disgusting, and dingy...we luckily lived on 10, which was all hotel except for our room, so they took the time to "clean" it....somewhat....

Ddaydave

Post Number: 168
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if this place is booked for the superbowl and they have one elevator that works some of the time which would be enough to get anyone angry I can only imagine there horror from what I`ve seen of the stairwells..reading the trip advisor after this will be very interesting

Nuclearxwinter

Post Number: 14
Posted From: 69.241.62.192
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FunkyCarrie:

What size was your apartment and about how much were they charging you for it? Who should I contact for more information? Was the lease month by month? I may need a cheaper place to stay temporarily until I am sure that I have a stable job... or I might like it there and stay longer.

Let me know something!

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 422
Posted From: 69.224.191.171
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nuclearxwinter = Punk Rock

Funkycarrie

Post Number: 115
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nuclear....we had a 2 bedroom, it was over 1000sq ft...and we were paying $850...everything is included including cable, and parking was an extra $25 a month. The shitty part about the parking is they'll sell out the spaces and leave you empty handed...but there are ways around it and it rarely happens.
313-962-2300 ask for Mary...she's really awesome and helpful, she can let you know whats available. Try and stay away from floors 5-9, they're pretty gross...I'm not sure how the rooms themselves are, but I'm sure they're hit.
The "lease" is day to day...its basically like renting out a hotel room. The good part is there is no lease, and no security deposit.

Its not too bad there, but it gets old real fast. I'd recommend it temporarily though :-)
And the place can be a real adventure, its fun to go explore all the open rooms and the basement, you can make some good furniture scores!

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 807
Posted From: 65.196.220.198
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Funkycarrie
we had a 2 bedroom, it was over 1000sq ft...and we were paying $850...

Shit my house note is less than that.

You can get a 1 bedroom and a covered parking spot at Lafayette Towers for less.

Doctors
Username: Doctors

Post Number: 685
Posted From: 68.42.124.248
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The situation with the downtown Ramada really makes you wonder what kind of condition the Statler, and the Book-Cadillac would be in today, IF they never closed.

Funkycarrie

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toolbox...yeah thats why we live at Lafayette now :-)

and I'd never buy a house here, that would make me stuck to michigan!!!

Funkycarrie

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the nice thing about the Ramada is you aren't stuck to a lease....its a day to day thing and there's no security deposit, its perfect for someone who isn't sure about their situation here

Nuclearxwinter

Post Number: 15
Posted From: 66.43.171.103
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 3:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you *very* much. I will definitely be giving her a call tommorow afternoon. I really appreciate this!.. and the price doesnt sound bad either. This is exactly the type of place I needed to get moved up there...

Thanks!

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 373
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ramada Detroit and Southfield are just glorified motels. I don't see how people can stay there.

Basscase
Username: Basscase

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 12.47.83.10
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is not listed on the Ramada website anymore. Maybe they pulled the franchise!

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 322
Posted From: 71.10.63.140
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. It was listed there last week. I went and looked it up there and then complained about it:-)

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 314
Posted From: 65.221.183.120
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It needs to be pulled, it is an embarrassment to Detroit and the Ramada Inn chain.

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 103
Posted From: 66.73.238.5
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the place in better days as well as in its current state of disrepair. What a shame that it has been allowed to decay to this extent.

I remember one afternoon back in the 80s, one of the tenants went a little "off" and began throwing all his belongings out the window of his apartment; TV, clothes, stereo, books, food, furniture, kitchen applianaces, you name it. This guy was several stories up, so everything he threw hit the ground with real impact. Eventually a huge crowd, including at least one local TV news crew, gathered across the street (out of throwing range) below and began cheering every time something new would come flying out the window. A few morons in the crowd started yelling for the guy to jump, but cooler heads in the crowd prevailed. Eventually, I guess he had thrown out moreless everything he owned and the cops went inside to take him to a nice, safe padded cell (I assume). What a day.

Ddaydave

Post Number: 254
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 3:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove by there tonight (Saturdaynight)and the ramada sign was down

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 290
Posted From: 35.11.158.84
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 5:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's so sad it's funny. You really have to suck at running a hotel to have Ramada tell you your place is too shitty to be a Ramada

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3012
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 6:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They should just be done with it already and make it a luxury Motel 6 or a Super 8. lol

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1443
Posted From: 70.227.85.192
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dang! If Ramada yanked their franchise, none of the other chains will take it on without major upgraded to the property.

They'll probably try running the place as an independant hotel for as long as they can. My bet: the place will close within a year.

If the City is smart, they'll send inspectors in sometime soon and shut the place down. That'll give everyone time to a) find a new operator and b) get the place up to par in time for the NCAA men's basketball playoffs in 2008.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2178
Posted From: 66.167.58.137
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a pity. From the outside the Leland is most elegant and artistically appointed hotel in Detroit. If it were in ruin, it would be a fabulous ruin visually more worthy, IMO, than the Fort Shelby, the Fort Wayne, the late Statler and even the Cadillac. So bitch about Higgins if you wish but at least he is keeping it alive. Feast your eyes...

leland

full

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5352
Posted From: 68.42.168.211
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it were in ruin, it would be a fabulous ruin

If we had taglines, that would be mine.

If I were a ruin, I'd be a fabulous ruin.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6444
Posted From: 66.2.148.62
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whaddya mean 'if' itsjeff?

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5354
Posted From: 68.42.168.211
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True dat.

How about: I may be a ruin, but I'm a fabulous ruin.

Ddaydave

Post Number: 256
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we are happy its not a ruin Lowell but what are his excuses for not doing basic upkeeping ..people getting offered drugs in the building. Graffitti in the stairwells ..Many of the complaints I read on http://www.tripadvisor.com/Sho wUserReviews-g42139-d89998-r41 30837-Ramada_Inn_Downtown_Detr oit-Detroit_Michigan.html
looked just looked like basic upkeeping of any place.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3014
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While a decent looking hotel from the outside, it is probably one of the plainer and less fantastic of the downtown hotels. It is boxy with with the only interesting thing about it being it's arched windows at the base. Everything above is generic. With the base modernized and what I figure is a removed cornice, it is hardly more appealing than even a decayed and fallen Statler, IMO, or a Fort Shelby, for that matter.

Gistok

Post Number: 1754
Posted From: 4.229.105.203
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well now that it's no longer a Ramada, we can refer to it again as the old Leland Hotel. BTW, it never had a "removed cornice". In my American Picture Palaces book, it shows both the Michigan Theatre Building and Leland House Hotel, circa 1930 (both were designed by Rapp & Rapp). There was never a protruding cornice.

Saruthma
Username: Saruthma

Post Number: 28
Posted From: 68.60.160.65
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look what didn't sell on eBay (thankfully):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Superbowl- XL-Detroit-Executive-Suite-Hot el-Room-Ramada_W0QQitemZ659286 3471QQcategoryZ16071QQcmdZView Item

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 629
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unbelievable what people try and get away with. Has anyone on the forum been to this place lately. i wonder how old those pics are in the ebay ad?

Funkycarrie

Post Number: 126
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hahahahaha I haven't been there since August, but those pictures have to be OLD, or photoshopped....

Honestly, all the place needs is a little TLC; some paint and new carpeting...I don't understand why the time/money isn't put into that place.

Paulj
Username: Paulj

Post Number: 323
Posted From: 70.233.5.39
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's stinky there and people smoke in the elevators.

It's the Town Apartments II in my book

Paulj
Username: Paulj

Post Number: 324
Posted From: 70.233.5.39
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And for the record, until someone officially announces it's not the Ramada anymore, my humble opinion says they're just replacing a sign. The awning on the east side of the building still says Ramada, as does the phone message when you call there.

If a corporation like Ramada pulled the plug, their lawyers would be all over them with 'remove our trademark *now*, or else'

Anybody have the skinny on a yea/nay?

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 208
Posted From: 68.42.168.40
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paulj, go to ramada.com, its not there anymore. If thats not good enough give them a phone call, they answer the phone "Leland Hotel." I asked the lady who answered the phone what happened to Ramada and she said she didn't know why but that it was now called the "Leland Hotel." This was last Friday.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 785
Posted From: 204.39.226.19
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went to the Ramada site and they do not have the Leland on the site. So I am going to guess they pulled their name.

http://www.ramada.com/Ramada/c ontrol/Booking/search_check;jsessionid=DO3rHDAMxjy162ilVq kJ301i2f20NpFkNwSMfr5renE8PUlq B9E8!-182329259!1367847159

Commodore64
Username: Commodore64

Post Number: 185
Posted From: 208.39.170.77
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't worry, there is more rooms for the Leland on ebay! Check out the sellers other auctions!

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 405
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Name's no longer on the building.. at least on the outside. Looks like another Super Bowl move!

Funkycarrie

Post Number: 130
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CMUBryan, I just called....the recording says "Thank you for calling the Ramada Hotel in downtown Detroit...."
313-962-2300

Funkycarrie

Post Number: 131
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

but then again, it could be pulled, and they're following their usual half-assed route....

Austinjohn
Username: Austinjohn

Post Number: 275
Posted From: 24.28.76.93
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI,I sent an e-mail to Cendant, Ramada's parent company, inquiring on the status of their hotels in both Detroit and Southfield. A reply back from them confirmed that their affiliation with both hotels has ended, and they apologized for any bad experiences that I have had with any of their properties in the Detroit area.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.