Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » WDET Protest « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Motownlifer
Username: Motownlifer

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 68.43.233.171
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody hear about a WDET PROTEST? There was mention in the Free Press this week about a gathering at the Magic Stick

Saabdriver1986
Username: Saabdriver1986

Post Number: 360
Posted From: 65.48.7.186
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Protesting what?

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 249
Posted From: 68.85.153.94
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the new wdet is great. The station needed a shakeup and Martin was so stale he was, for me, completely unlistenable.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 534
Posted From: 205.188.116.201
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope those who protest also contributed duing a pledge drive.

Saabdriver1986
Username: Saabdriver1986

Post Number: 361
Posted From: 65.48.7.186
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the new format! Great news and information finally! They have some really great new and innovative shows.

Emanon
Username: Emanon

Post Number: 50
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Robert Jones's new show was excellent today & I am a convert to 'Democracy Now', but I still need a non-commercial, non-classical radio station during my work day...

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 761
Posted From: 68.248.55.167
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

91.5 CJAM

Emanon

Post Number: 52
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No signal in the NE burbs where I werk...
WDTR comes in great, though...

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1869
Posted From: 68.40.224.107
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am fine with the new WDET.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 100
Posted From: 70.236.200.238
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WDET is an NPR clone of 91.7 where is the incredible music?

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 217
Posted From: 4.229.39.234
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate the new WDET. Talk radio belongs on AM, not FM.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 1480
Posted From: 68.84.183.189
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 3:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not a huge fan of the new WDET either. I miss hearing different and unique forms of music. I actually like the fact that they play MUSIC that I don't always like at first. I've found that through the years of listening to them, I have learned to appreciate more diverse forms of music BECAUSE of my exposure to varying forms of music. NPR talk radio might have SOME gems but not enough for me to listen any more and besides those gems also appear on other NPR stations in the area.

I miss WDET because it was a unique voice in Detroit radio. I won't donate any more to them just on the fact I don't listen to them as much any more. My donation money will go towards other venues now that are just as valid; sorry WDET.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 1482
Posted From: 68.84.183.189
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the Freep article...

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20051219/NEW S01/512190395

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 284
Posted From: 68.40.89.238
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the new format is good!

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 790
Posted From: 69.14.122.204
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the demise of Willy Wilson's show, there is no longer a good roots-music show on local radio that encompasses blues, early R&B and early rock 'n' roll. Willy's show was great because he focused on Detroit artists in those genres.

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3310
Posted From: 67.103.104.93
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

According to its written statement, the grassroots group wants a compromise with Wayne State that would allow for some daytime music. The group says the news format is too similar to that at WUOM-FM (91.7), the public-radio station based in Ann Arbor. Group members want to raise funds necessary to keep the old format.

They had their chance to raise money in the 2005 Fall Fundraiser, the 2005 Spring Fundraiser, the 2004 Fall Fundraiser, the 2004 Spring Fundraiser....

Get my drift?

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5161
Posted From: 64.228.202.146
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol @ Skulker.... They need something to protest now that they couldn't "Free Tookie"...

Emanon

Post Number: 54
Posted From: 152.163.100.195
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right you are, Fury--Willy (& his record collection)was one of DET's greatest assets. Man I used to LIVE for his Fri. nite show (I worked midnights & I could listen to every second & did). I am going to start my own tradition now of spinning blues records at home on Sat AM...
He routinely played stuff you will never, ever hear anywhere else & is very likely the first DJ in the WORLD to play the White Stripes. Willy, you will be missed. As I type, I can hear that "Do the Uncle Willy" song in my head that he used to open with.
Does anybody know if Ko (the Dirtbombs bass playing cutie & scenestress extrordinare) still has a spot on satellitte radio? (on Little Steven's channel) Methinks Uncle Willy deserves one, radio vox or not. Shit, he deserves an FM transmitter...

(I know..."get a room" LOL)

Northend
Username: Northend

Post Number: 566
Posted From: 69.217.229.122
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WDET Local 202

Compn
Username: Compn

Post Number: 42
Posted From: 65.29.121.215
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is that guy who plays jazz at 8pm weeknights gone? that jazz was the most annoying monotonous light elevator jazz i've ever heard, and it never changed. worse than muzak. worst jazz ever.

if so, good riddance. but i hate talk shows, more world music please.

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 223
Posted From: 69.209.176.115
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although I agree with you Compn, sorry Jazz host Ed Love is a bit an anchor to WDET.

Jimg

Post Number: 539
Posted From: 64.12.116.195
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Compn, interesting comment about the music which "that guy" plays. Perhaps you'd share examples of what you consider "real jazz"?

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 254
Posted From: 68.85.153.94
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

look out Compn...Jimg wrote the book...

Jblaze
Username: Jblaze

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 69.14.120.66
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The changes at WDET prompted me to buy an XM system. I love it - "XMU" is a great channel.

The "protesters" need to ask how much they donated (not to mention get their priorities straight - in a world of woes, this ranks low).

The new daytime format is fine, but I MUCH preferred the music. I can always listen to WUOM or stream NPR shows at my convenience.

I will do my best to catch Liz Copeland, Chuck Horn, Ralph and the truly amazing Jon Moshier (man, he was great subbing in the afternoon). I'll still donate, but not as much.

But i have to say i was secretly wishing Martin Bandyke would go away. I mean, enough Los Lobos marathons, 6 straight cuts from the new Beck CD every other day, and the DAMN middle-aged, watered down blues (modern Clapton, Bonnie Raitt, etc)! Not to mention the guy was a bit arrogant.

Hell, at least he liked Wilco... Judy Adams was very sweet, but, as someone else mentioned to me, the 20 minute Pat Metheny tracks...blech.

Move Liz up to 10pm at least, give Willy Wilson his show back and give Jon Moshier more exposure (sorry for the bad rhyme), and i will double my already generous donation.

Peace...

Sawyers
Username: Sawyers

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 69.133.86.212
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just read the "Dial Straits" article in the Metro Times that went into the thinking that NPR stations are going for listeners who tune in for larger blocks of time; that a mix that includes music and talk/news causes people to tune out after a couple of hours of listening. Apparently the news/talk audience won't stay tuned for music and vice-versa.

I know I'm an oddball, and I guess this just confirms it. I've loved WDET for all of the 13 years I've been a listener and constant supporter. I'd never listen to anything else from the time I'd get up to the time I'd get home and I'd love all of it, and that included all the weekend stuff even when Arkansas Traveler and Folks Like Us and Thistle and Shamrock were part of the mix, and Fresh Air was on at noon.

I've worked with people that couldn't stand WDET's eclectic music mix because they wanted "wallpaper" music - music that didn't impinge upon their consciousness. When one of WDET's daytime hosts would play Mark Knopfler and Radiohead and Calexico and Duke Ellington and Eddie Palmieri these folks found that they couldn't just let it flow in one ear and out the other, and found it very annoying, unlike someone like me who really enjoys music.

This is what I loved and why I can't get into satellite radio. I don't want a single genre. I've never been a jazz fan, but because the 'DET hosts would slip in jazz that I was unfamiliar with, I now have a couple of Art Blakey and Mile Davis CD's in my collection. That's not going to happen on satellite radio 'cause I'm not going to tune into the Jazz stations.

But I also love NPR news and WDET had a great balance of that - Drive-time Morning Edition and All Things Considered made commutes much more tolerable (lots of driveway moments). I was always much better informed from NPR than I was from the FREEP and never bothered with local broadcast news or even CNN.

So once again, the focus groups and market researchers tell me no matter how much I love a product, whether it's Wheat Chex or Koeplinger's Whole Wheat Bread or WDET, I don't count - I'm in the minority, and my financial support isn't enough to keep this product alive.

Damn.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 419
Posted From: 68.61.98.175
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

iTunes has very good internet radio choices, their public section and americana section sounds like the ticket for people who liked Martin Bandyke (and for people who want better!)

For instance, the Marthas Vinyard public station plays a similar mix to the old WDET - check it out.

I already pay for broadband, I'll be damned if I'll pay for satellite radio.

Sawyers
Username: Sawyers

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 69.133.86.212
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, so far I'm filling in for the lack of daytime eclecticism by creating my own podcasts from the remaining WDET music shows - Liz Copeland, Chuck Horn, Ralph Valdez, John Moshier and Gene Elzy and playing them back during the day.

I'd rather have John and Willie and maybe John Penney replacing Martin and Judy, but if it's not going to happen, I'll just have to make do with what's left and shift it to the time I need to have music.

I'll check out the Martha's Vineyard station - do you have the call letter's? The only thing my search turned up was WCAI and their schedule looks much like WUOM - no weekday music.

Jblaze
Username: Jblaze

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 69.14.120.66
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forgive me, i neglected to include Michael Julien in my listing of the music hosts that still deserve support at WDET. I thought he had also been axed, so i left him out.

Respect, brother Michael - Irie!

Someone please tell me where to find the WDET podcasts of these PodCats, so i can listen at my convenience!!!

Jimg

Post Number: 541
Posted From: 152.163.100.195
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sawyers, you are exactly the 'type' of person Public Radio was designed for: eclectic music taste, news junkie, totally plugged in to the entire NPR mission...I'm surprised you never volunteered at the station(?).
Of all the posts I've read talkin' 'bout the program changes, yours most impressed me.
But it will be a cold day in Hell before 'DET reverts to Judyism...

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 711
Posted From: 68.255.242.100
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

down with self-important dj's!

Dpd_blue
Username: Dpd_blue

Post Number: 136
Posted From: 68.252.71.233
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great Protest last night...they didn;t even stop and chant in front of the correct building. The protest stopped in front of the University Towers and chanted "Bring back the music." WDET is located in a building behind the apartment building.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 420
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seem to have found Martha's vinyard radio on the only day they played music! Holidays and all.

iTunes has plenty of great music playlists.

Rule number one for effective protest - go to the right place!

Bagman
Username: Bagman

Post Number: 35
Posted From: 69.218.76.23
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dpd-blue & oldredfordette:
It was an effective protest as it was covered by ALL the local media.......
As to where it was held.......Dpd-blue (sounds like a cop?), come on you of all people should relize that the protest was held on the public right away in front of the compund where WDET is located so the university pigs could not stop them. Also had the protesters went around back they would have never been seen. I have been involved in some of the largest university campus protests in Michigan for the last 17 years. We get 2-10 thousand people to our protest at the U of M every April. So to see such a large crowd gathered on Cass to protest WDET warmed my heart.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 424
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many people were there?

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 713
Posted From: 68.255.242.100
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

am i the only one that thinks there are more important things in this city to be protesting than a change in radio programming? while i admire your fighting spirit, i find this whole wdet protest stuff a bit overwrought.

go buy youself a los lobos record and get on with your life.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 426
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to see that enthusiasm at the next anti-war march. Come on out! You think a change of formatting is traumatic, try war without end! Indiscriminate murder of innocent citizens! Terrorist attack unavenged! Your tax dollars going to enrich warmongers!

Yawn.

Yuppie shithead dj replaced by news.

AAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH HHHHH! Where's my picket sign!

Skulker

Post Number: 3326
Posted From: 70.236.144.52
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I for one am not missing the weekday music as Judy Adams had degenerated into a self parody of Yanni for the ex-hippie set. The slavish devotion Bandyke showed to certain "safe" bands while eschewing better stuff combined with his mysterious firing adds up to payola in my brain.

I like the news programs so far and still get my music fix when I want it most, in the evening and on weekends.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 427
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sad part? I really love Los Lobos. The slamming they have been getting around here - hmmmmmmm.

Tony & Maria on iTunes right now.

Skulker

Post Number: 3331
Posted From: 70.236.144.52
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Los Lobos....but the daily blowjob MB gave them was beginning to get positively People / Paris Hilton-pesque.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 87
Posted From: 66.88.89.94
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Returning for the holidays, I found the WDET controversy much larger among friends & family than expected. Listening to WDET while in town was always a unique experience. Hearing the same broadcasts I get in New York was a downer.

It would be great if the management at WDET and those protesting the format change could work together to raise the funds to bring the music back to the forefront again. Compared to what is necessary to right the wrongs in Detroit or the country, righting the WDET deficit of $100 or even $300 grand is something that can actually be achieved in a couple of months time.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.