Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Tri-Centennial State Park « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Scardetroit
Username: Scardetroit

Post Number: 50
Posted From: 68.61.196.110
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.michigandnr.com/Pub lications/PDFS/RecreationCampi ng/TSPH2.html

Nice website depicting the vision/planning for the park. Not sure if this has already been posted or not.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 670
Posted From: 69.246.13.131
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That site is awful ! who can read tiny black print on a dark green background?
And their annimation is stupid, it draws an outline of the waterfront then flashes a picture for 1/4 of a second. WTF?
Hope the state only paid about $30,000 for that crap.

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1308
Posted From: 68.61.197.206
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

30,000.00? 3,000.00 would be overpaid. The only thing that cost any money was the one graphic.

Psip

Post Number: 671
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am sure it was a state contract. Need I say more?
200 for the actual work, 29,800 for payoffs and kickbacks.

Scardetroit

Post Number: 52
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was hoping to view more comments on the actual contents of the website, not so much the web-design (which I personally could care less about). Try moving past the screen splash and into the contents of Section 2 - Master Plan and Programming.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 61
Posted From: 69.14.26.135
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I am sure it was a state contract. Need I say more?

I am fairly certain it was not created under contract. The DNR's web site and IT is handled by Michigan's Department of Information Technology.

Since I saw this same Powerpoint presentation last summer, I suspect someone did a quick conversion from Powerpoint to these web pages.

quote:

I was hoping to view more comments on the actual contents of the website

I think it's all very exciting, especially with the Riverfront and Dequindre Cut trail connections as well as nearby Eastern Market and Belle Isle.

Psip

Post Number: 672
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The project looks cool. Although I really want to see the DC used for transit and a LRT path to downtown. Off site parking is the only way Detroit will regain greatness. You simply can not expect to allocate 100 sq ft as working space and 500 sq ft for support (parking).
As for the website, its a lot of work to just to find the basic info. Maybe in IE it works better.

Scardetroit

Post Number: 53
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm viewing in IE, so you may be right. I believe they are reserving a portion of the DC to facilitate a potential transit line in the future in addition to the pedestrian-way.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1627
Posted From: 4.229.129.170
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just how wide is the Dequindre Cut anyway?

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 547
Posted From: 69.136.137.236
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's what you do, just keep clicking section 2 button over and over again and you can see it continuously..hehehehe

Motif
Username: Motif

Post Number: 14
Posted From: 70.88.106.118
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got a question:

The boat slips in state park, who do you get in contact with to use them or is it a private yacht club???????????????????

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 62
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The boat slips in state park, who do you get in contact with to use them

You can make on-line reservations at:
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0, 1607,7-153-10365_10884_18317-4 4255--,00.html

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1396
Posted From: 150.198.164.127
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 478
Posted From: 136.2.1.153
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me and a buddy just rolled in there one day. Really nice facility. I think it was 25 bucks to stay in a slip overnight. We didn't make reservations, but it was just a random Saturday.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 260
Posted From: 69.136.144.196
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like that they are going to use globe trading as the vistor center to good see some riverfront history being saved

Dmb
Username: Dmb

Post Number: 174
Posted From: 69.246.55.57
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just curious, what phase are we in now? I think it all looks really cool you just can't tell what is done already, and what the completion projections are for the other phases that aren't done yet.

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rather than rely on my memory, I found the meeting minutes from the presentation I saw back in September:

quote:

Tri-Centennial State Park and Harbor
Vicki Anthes, Planning Section, PRD

The Tri-Centennial Park and Harbor was dedicated during Phase I in May 2004 and is Michigan’s
97th state park. The Tri-Centennial project represents planning, design, and development of its 31
acres and is the first in the highly urbanized setting of Detroit, located upstream (east) of the
downtown district. Vicki stated that Phase II development will have a gap, as PRD seeks grants and
other funding.

Vicki explained that the park and harbor is divided into four components: the Lowland Area, the
Upland Area, the Harbor, and the Visitor Center. The Lowland depicts a coastal wetland along the
Detroit River. The Upland reflects the diverse mix of hardwoods native to Michigan. A pine grove
is included to provide year around interest. The Harbor consists of the recreational boating,
maritime interpretive elements including the lighthouse replica and the historic Dry Dock that
represents Michigan’s rich shipping history. The Visitor Center will be located at the historic Globe
Building site, which was originally part of the Detroit dry dock complex where steamship engines
were built. Vicki described the implementation strategy and phases for transforming the
Tri-Centennial State Park and Harbor from vision to reality.

Vicki stated the properties that will become the park are currently in former or industrial uses;
therefore, each site will be cleared and environmentally prepared by the City of Detroit prior to
assignment to the Tri-Centennial State Park and Harbor. The City will retain ownership and the
state will lease the park and harbor under a long-term agreement, with staffing from the DNR.
Discussed potential concepts for the Globe Building to make it a year-round feature and creating a
similar environment to that of the Oden Fish hatchery.

The strategy for funding the next phases of the park and harbor is based on a leveraged approach
that will match available state monies to other public and private funding sources. Phase 1 plus the
leveraged approach for parts of Phases 2, and 3 have identified approximately 40 percent of the
required funding for the overall project. Approximately 60 percent of the project budget currently
remains unfunded and will be pursued through available sources by the Michigan Department of
Natural Resources.

Ron Olson invited the CCMPS members to attend the MRPA Conference in Detroit in February
2006 and offered provide a tour of the Tri-Centennial State Park and Harbor.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1372
Posted From: 69.212.37.182
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only about 1/3 of the Globe Building is going to be used for the visitor center. The rest will be torn down.

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I learned some more today. The Globe is still owned by the City. Talks are underway but it's far from being a done deal.

If the DNR successfully gets the Globe building, only the oldest portion of the building will be preserved. Apparently the building has gone through numerous expansions.

All the funds used to acquire and develop this park have come from public and private grant sources.

As for the plan on the web site, the planning contractor threw that in as a freebie. That explains why it hasn't received as much design TLC.

Broken_main

Post Number: 573
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While the "vision" is a good one, my concern is the timetable for completion. The site was very hard to navigate and I may have missed the end completion date. I hope that it is completed by the time I retire in 17 years...hehehehe

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 980
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have they EVEN gotten out of Phase ONE yet???? Looking at what has been done and going through the phases, they havent done shit yet... Only beef up the harbor there and add some trees... Thats the EASY part.. what about the greening of all that land, plus the walkways, plus digging out the new creeks, plus the lakes, plus plus plus.. OMG...

F**in GIT R DONE!!!! The state pays for all the rest of the state parks.... so PAY for the shit i mean goddam... Whats the point if it never gets done.

Its like a contractor putting paint on one wall in a shithouse and saying "look at the beautiful progress that has been made".... I dunno

Broken_main

Post Number: 582
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree 100%. This project looks good...on paper so far. I just hope they start doing something so we can reap the benefits of a naturepark in the urban area.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1272
Posted From: 68.40.193.105
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seriously, it is taking so long. How long can it take to make a whole state park? Jesus Christ, clear the land, throw down some sod and you're done!

I hate when anything takes longer than a month to finish. There is seriously no f**in excuse!

Eric

Post Number: 278
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do something? You mean like the silo they demolished so the park can be expand to the west. Do a little reseach Alexi before you start bitching

http://www.detroitriverfront.o rg/index.asp?news=29&item=347& site=5

quote:

A portion of the silo sites will become part of Tri-Centennial State Park & Harbor, a park operated by the state of Michigan. Clearance also gives way to continuing Detroit’s RiverWalk, a promenade that will ultimately stretch from Gabriel Richard Park near the MacArthur (Belle Isle) Bridge to the Ambassador Bridge.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 985
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok... but didnt that take 5 years???

I know for a fact that it doesnt take 5 years to tear down silos, or even dig out a lake, make a path, and dig a creek. As a matter of fact in the last 2-3 years... what HAVE they gotten done?? It took less than a year to reroute the Clusterfuk at campus martius and put in a beautiful park.

If the state wanted to rush the project along they could have. I mean.. the state will take your property if they find a potleaf on it... why cant they relocate a business to redevelop a struggling community? Last time I checked, they didnt hesitate to teardown a shitload of houses to ram a freeway through living rooms...

Im sorry, but at this pace, this will take 15 years.. when the park simply isnt that big, and really not much needs to be done... other than move dirt and pour concrete..

The damn romans built the Colisseum in 7 years... before electricity and power equiptment...

WHy the hell cant we make a state park in a dogs lifetime....
If it was 1 month.. Id feel differently...

But this is several years now... and really no real progress.. Were not done with phase 1 of 5 phases... I dont think my criticism was unfounded.

Not to mention that for something the govenor was so proud of being the first urban state park... why is there no funding... why is this so typical of the government to get all the bragging rights and then decide not to pay for it.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1522
Posted From: 69.213.80.14
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not the demolition or the construction that takes time. That's all the easy stuff. The issues are the people who own stuff you need.

You can't tear down a building before you own it. The cement terminals were owned by cement companies that were very happy to be where they were.

They wanted as much money as they could get to be relocated. It took a very long time to work out a deal with them. It a pretty penny as well.

You also can't buy or build stuff until you've raised the capital to do that. there has been a very large capital campaign running in the background. The riverfront projects just recieved very large donation from the Kellog and Skillman foundations.

Have you donated cash to the project yet? Are you one of the people slowing this down by not helping fund it?

Eric

Post Number: 279
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah but most of that just was negotiating to buy the silos the city didn't buy the last silo until April 05. Seven months from buying the final site to demoliton isn't unreasobale

quote:

It took less than a year to reroute the Clusterfuk at campus martius and put in a beautiful park.

It also took about 3-4 years just to plan and raise the moeny for it

quote:

Were not done with phase 1 of 5 phases... I dont think my criticism was unfounded

Phase 1 is finsih and considering the complete lack reality you seem to have when building something this complitcated I say the critisms are unfounded remember this park is 15x the size of CM

Read the hisotry of CM to see how long it plan and build
http://campusmartiuspark.com/history.htm

(Message edited by eric on January 07, 2006)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.