Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Super Bowl Storefront Project « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4570
Posted From: 68.43.31.87
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just got a very, very interesting email from my sister. She's a graduate student in Architecture at UM. She got this from her professor.

quote:

The American Institute of Architects - Detroit and the Downtown Detroit Partnership have invited a number of area offices and institutions (including UM) to produce temporary storefront installations in various locations downtown - most of them unoccupied buildings. I am the directing faculty member for UM and am leading an installation in a storefront which is, in fact, occupied - by a children's day care. The hope is that this particular installation will not be temporary like the others, but remain after the football game which is driving this initiative.

I am looking for students who can volunteer some time over the break to help realize this project. We are working with a contractor who has donated their time to some demo, cleanup and painting, but I need students to help with the installation itself.

The installation has to be complete by January 5th. I'm hoping to have some help on the 28th, 29th, and 30th, and follow up on the 2nd and 3rd. If you can lend a half day, full day or several days, please send me an email and let me know.

Temporary storefronts? Mostly in unoccupied buildings? Not unexpected. I don't have particulars of which buildings these would be, but I assume that the one this professor is talking about is that daycare center on Woodward. I guess glass windows covered in images of happy children playing and childhood motifs (which is its current appearance, as I recall) aren't good enough for the big game...

Statler-awnings-atcha!

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9580
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've come a long way since those awnings baby, now we get whole store fronts....SWEEEET!

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 508
Posted From: 198.109.44.2
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is interesting due to the fact that we have only a few months ti SBXL. Now how do you think they will pull this off in such a short time???

(Message edited by broken_main on December 15, 2005)

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9583
Posted From: 64.118.137.228
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Students are non-union. :-)

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 708
Posted From: 70.227.84.69
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ss; you've been spending too much time on your blog :-) i already described this project in depth on the david whitney building thread.

the buildings participating are: the david whitney building, pierson bldg., the former lane bryant, pepper's shoes, jc general store, goodnow/prus, and the himelhoch bldg.

the final design concepts are to be presented tonight at the aia x-mas party.

[look for RSA (RockStArchitect)'s firm's storefront in january :-) ]

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3284
Posted From: 67.103.104.93
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This program was announced over a year ago.

I guess Aram was so busy being in touch and in tune with Detroit and what really goes on here that he managed to miss this.

The reality is that the DDP and SBXLHC are collaborating with the AIA ( a very well respected oprganization ) to provide window displays at vacant buildings. These window displays are NOT intended to make an unoccupied building look occupied, they are not intended to create fake store fronts.

They are intended to provide space for graphic and artistic displays designed by a variety of particpants. If you have been walking down woodward lately, you will see one of the vacant storefronts at Lofts of Woodward is being used to showcase local artists. This program takes it to the next level.

Why should the City NOT take advantage of an opportunity to create space for artists/designers to display their pieces and concepts?

BTW, the plan is to keep the displays up for several months after the Superbowl and there is some pilot work being done to expand the program to continue indefinitely. Imagine a Woodward Avenues with constantly rotating dispays and installations that attract people to walk by before / after dinner / drinks / events...putting more shoes on the street and making a Detroit livelier pedestrian environment...

(Message edited by skulker on December 15, 2005)

The_aram

Post Number: 4571
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This program was announced over a year ago.

I guess Aram was so busy being in touch and in tune with Detroit and what really goes on here that he managed to miss this.

To quote Steve Martin...

"Well, Exxxcccuuuuuuuuse ME!"

Sorry. I didn't manage to pick up the news on this. Sorry I wasted your precious time. Feel free to continue to be bitter and holier-than-thou.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 710
Posted From: 70.227.84.69
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whoops. i guess i was too eager to make fun of ss. sorry about that. i guess i should redirect my post to aram (but i have nothing really to point out that you've been spending you're time elsewhere on...).

aram-um is sharing the pierson building.

The_aram

Post Number: 4572
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I mean, yeah, this may be old news to some people, I just thought it was interesting because I hadn't heard about it as of yet (this isn't the most prolific of projects from a scale standpoint). And apparently there were others who hadn't heard about it yet as well.

So. Can we really just check the egos at the door? I mean, Skulker, it's not like it's my job to know these things. The same can be said for about 99% of the people up in here.

Thanks for the info, Rsa. I just reread the original email, and the little header on the top before the forwarded part of the message, which was the part I posted, my sister's prof mentioned which building it was. I guess I missed it on the first read.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 543
Posted From: 66.2.148.114
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, I guess it's too late to submit my design of a miniature Potemkin village.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1217
Posted From: 68.250.205.35
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew about this project from various media reports, but it has always been mentioned in conjunction with other, more prominent projects, so I think you can be forgiven for missing it Aram.

However you came into this with the full Statler-awnings crack and "I guess the current appearance isn't good enough." And then you try to play make-nice with Skulker, and throw the whole innocent "well it's not my job to know about these thing," Really? That's not how you act on most other threads.

"The same can be said for about 99% of the people up in here."

CLEARLY.

Skulker

Post Number: 3285
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly DH4H....

Instead of throwing wise cracks about a program one knows little about, perhaps one should start a thread that describes the program, asks if anyone knows something about it and whether it appears to be lipstick on a pig or if it is something more...

Aram, you posted a forwarded email and made immediate pronouncements about what you belive the the intent and scope of the project is with no additional information. That, my dear lad, is issuing an open invitation to get smacked upside the head.

You been around here long enough to know better...

That said, lets get back on track abnout the program...if the DDP can find a way to continue the project going in the future this could be a really fun and intersting thing for Detroit to do...I am looking forward to the displays...

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 736
Posted From: 68.42.170.57
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is what they did all through Jacksonville.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1223
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally I think it is a great concept, but if I may inject my own little bit of cynicism in the mix - I am not sure rows of empty storefronts, however attractive and interestingly conceived, are going to do much to encourage foot traffic. I do agree it will make the walks past those storefronts a more pleasant experience, but a lifeless storefront display is still, at its core, lifeless.

I'm all for making things prettier and encouraging creativity, but as they say, ain't nothing like the real thing, baby!

Skulker

Post Number: 3287
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah.....that assumes a static display....some of the displays have some nice ideas in terms of lighting and motion.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1224
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With real people shopping in them? Awesome!! I am now fully on board! ;)

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 472
Posted From: 69.242.214.106
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There won't be "rows of empty storefronts". These will fill in the gaps between Borders, Ben&Jerrys, The Woodward, Kinko's, CVS, Breakfast Club, Mark England, Avis, Athleets Foot, JBs, Oslo, Apt, Bleu, Comos, etc.

It's not like there will be block after block filled with these windows.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1226
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know. But they will still be empty even though they aren't "empty", do you follow? It doesn't add to the vibrancy of the area although it definitely WILL add to the attractiveness and interest in the area.

I am not saying it's a bad idea, I really do like it. I am saying that it is too bad it is so difficult for real businesses to get going down there. Pointing no fingers here, I'm just saying it's a lovely stopgap idea that hopefully won't last too long (because these spaces get filled). THAT is what will make it a nice pedestrian experience.

Skulker

Post Number: 3290
Posted From: 68.42.176.88
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These aren't retail displays. They are "artistic" displays by designers and architects. Its also a little bit of an impromptu competition.....you can be sure that many of the firms are taking this a challnge to out do each other....

Imagine of this continued throughout the year connected to CCS and the other art departments around the state as well as some of the local galleries.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1227
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do know what it is! Please everyone stop clarifying! I stand by my statements, please don't make me start my rant about downtown landlords and their retail spaces!

Skulker

Post Number: 3291
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry 'bout that....you must have posted your 5:13 post while I was typing my 5:21 post....

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1229
Posted From: 68.61.187.234
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Skulker, you are always forgiven.

Skulker

Post Number: 3293
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, thanks for clarifying!

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 914
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Friday, December 16, 2005 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... not a bad idea for a place holder...

isnt it better than gawdy yellow painted plywood with shit plastered all over it????

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 526
Posted From: 198.109.44.2
Posted on Friday, December 16, 2005 - 3:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Damn, I guess it's too late to submit my design of a miniature Potemkin village.

I tried to get a picture of Potemkin village but I couldn't find it.(get it? couldn't find it!) LOL (It took twenty years for me to understand what my political science professor was referring to...Thanks Hornwrecker)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.