Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Two Detroit budget ideas « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jdmdetroit
Username: Jdmdetroit

Post Number: 135
Posted From: 170.20.11.116
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every little bit helps:

1) Put parking meters on Belle Isle. In a lot of cities, there is no free parking anywhere near major parks. Detroit should charge a modest fee for parking on the island and put that money into maintaining the park.

2) Turn the recreation centers over to nonprofits. The city should start a bidding process now to lease the centers to those organizations that would run them in the best way. Lease them for $1 per year, if need be, to keep them open, but off the city's budget.

Jmy8
Username: Jmy8

Post Number: 2596
Posted From: 12.75.51.29
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

2) Turn the recreation centers over to nonprofits. The city should start a bidding process now to lease the centers to those organizations that would run them in the best way. Lease them for $1 per year, if need be, to keep them open, but off the city's budget.

One of the smartest things the city could do, and it applies to public parks as well, so it's not going to happen.

Dag
Username: Dag

Post Number: 150
Posted From: 69.241.254.67
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if I would be so quick to assume that the turning over the rec centers and the parks would not be under consideration. First off, you have to look at the fact that Detroit is already doing this with the Detroit Zoo. Secondly, with the constraints that we actually have I don't believe there is anything which is sacrosanct.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 579
Posted From: 208.39.170.77
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One Rec Center (can't remember which one) went to private control a couple years ago (the first time KK started talking about closing Rec Centers as part of Budget Cuts). And there's an article in the Free Press toay about Kronk being leased or sold to Emmanuel Steward.

So this is a good idea that's already been discussed and done in a few cases. The problem is that some folks see at as privatization. And to some folks privatization is bad.

Jmy8
Username: Jmy8

Post Number: 2597
Posted From: 12.75.22.173
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't write "sacrosanct," I wrote "smart."

You know that look that Labradors give when they don't understand what you've said? The head cocked, the ears perked up, the brow furrowed? You can almost see the hamster running on the wheel, but the dog still doesn't get what you mean?

Just about every member of city council will give that look in unison if you went in front of that body and proposed turning city properties over to outside entities, even non-profits.

Huggybear
Username: Huggybear

Post Number: 97
Posted From: 192.217.12.254
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Put parking meters on Belle Isle. In a lot of cities, there is no free parking anywhere near major parks. Detroit should charge a modest fee for parking on the island and put that money into maintaining the park.

Ditto. Just make the meters the type that you put the slip on the dash under the windshield. We don't need a million ugly individual urban parking meters.

Dag
Username: Dag

Post Number: 151
Posted From: 69.241.254.67
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fair enough, hopefully one of the members would be willing to break out a motown ditty when she doesn't understand what has been stated.

However, since this has happened in the past and it is happening right now there are enough people within the government that will understand what is going on. If the wheels are in motion already then the Labradors may just sit and watch with their heads cocked. Hopefully that will be the case, at least from my perspective.

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 200
Posted From: 209.104.144.90
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the parking meter idea except for one thing. In the summer on busy days there are hundreds of cars parked all day on Belle Isle in no parking and no standing zones, but I've never seen them ticketed. That's one reason why there is often a traffic jam to get off the island, because so many cars are parked illegally that traffic is pinched off at spots.

If they don't enforce no parking on Bell Isle, why would they enforce meters?

On the other hand I saw cars parked downtown ticketed on Sunday last week, when there was a Lions game, even though they were probably a mile or two away from Ford Field.

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 437
Posted From: 69.245.76.200
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a patriotic plan__ white folks move back to the city you abandoned for racist reason and bring back the tax dollars we are missing.

Just a thought.

super d(motordetroit)

Rosedaleken
Username: Rosedaleken

Post Number: 113
Posted From: 141.213.52.81
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Super d, some of the whites probably did move for racist reasons but they're not obligated to move back, and nor are the thousands of blacks who have moved to Southfield and Farmington Hills in search of better schools, etc. If these people felt they owed Detroit something they wouldn't have moved in the first place. Were the blacks who left racist too?

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 320
Posted From: 64.79.90.206
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Super D: Most people left the City for SAFETY reasons, for clean streets, for quieter nights, to be able to go to Mass without being car-jacked, so their kids wouldn't have to go to school in schools like Finney. What is racist about that? Tell me please.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6210
Posted From: 198.208.251.24
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that why they left in the 50s?

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 164
Posted From: 141.213.184.173
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no its why they left in the 80s and early 90s

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 236
Posted From: 71.144.93.118
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're not going to break through this budget problem and are doomed to receivership until our leadership tells us the truth. Here's the documented doublespeak...

-Todays' Detroit News http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20051214/M ETRO/512140394

"We've been consistent in informing the council and Detroiters that addressing a $300 million budget gap would require some tough, but necessary decisions," Kilpatrick said. "These initiatives represent the next step in bringing the city closer to financial solvency."

-September 28th's Detroit News
http://www.detnews.com/2005/me tro/0509/28/B01-330040.htm

With the city facing what is being called a $139 million "budget gap," Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick outlined a plan Tuesday for an immediate $27.5 million in savings via employee layoffs and service reductions but warned more cuts are coming if the unions don't make concessions.

Yes, very "consistent."

So either he was lying to us then, lying to us now, or he's incompetent in letting the self-described "gap" get over double in size, putting the city at higher danger of receivership, through not making necessary cuts during election season.

Southwestmap

Post Number: 322
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They left in the 50's because the young G.I's that were born and raised in Detroit couldn't use their G.I. loans to buy a house in Detroit. It had to be new housing for a G.I. loan. So they went to Dearborn and St. Clair Shores and Roseville. Tell me what is racist about that?

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 438
Posted From: 69.245.76.200
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

///'Rosedeleken'/// Blacks are not racist__ we only act to racism//// __ some Blacks are still submerged in the muddy waters of slavocracy__ besides, we should not be obligated to give reason or solution to any of our actions due the de-jure and defacto unjustices cast upon us by american policies. We did our part in building this country--and the world unwillingly and voluntarily--we should not be obligated to give reason to any answer to the american problem.

You got the power__you made the mess__ so you fix it!

///'Southwestmap'/// re-read your post and you will find the answer___you stated,"...go to mass without being carjacked..." /// there is a certain skeptism by Blacks, when you make observations like that.

super d(motordetroit)

Jt1

Post Number: 6215
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't realize that we had hundreds of thousands of GIs.

Pretty simplistic if you ask me.

Southwestmap

Post Number: 323
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, as to G.I's - virtually every young man in Detroit went to the war. When they returned and most moved to the suburbs they took their wives and future children with them - so I would estimate that you are truly talking about hundreds of thousands.

Not simplistic at all - a documented fact of history and widely recognized. What is "pretty simplistic" is to account the reason that people left Detroit simply and singly to "racism".

Jt1

Post Number: 6216
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe it is a reason, and a large one at that. Not the only one. S do you have numbers of Detroiters that returned from the war in the 50s.

I think you are embelisshing. 700,000 white people fled Detroit in the 50s and 60s with about 380,000 of them in the 50s.

That is a lot of GIs.

Southwestmap

Post Number: 324
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Embellishing" has the conotation of deliberate exageration. I am not exagerating. Do you know the history? It was not like Vietnam or these later wars. Nearly all the young men went to war. That's why women entered the factories etc. To keep the country going. My father went and every male relative, friend and neighbor I ever encountered also went.

I imagine that, in the late fifties there were certainly 190,000 G.I floating around. If they married that would easily account for 380,000 people leaving.

However, I agree that not all the 380,000 were G. I.'s - probably. But, believe me, people did not leave Detroit in the 1950's because of racism. No white person dreamed that the demographics would become what they did in the late 60's.

In fact, my parents and many of their friends moved back to city circa 1958 after selling their first houses in the suburbs. Then they left again in the early 70's after the failure of Proposal C and the subsequent closing of so many Catholic schools.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.