Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Lafayette Pavillion Fire « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1134
Posted From: 70.227.207.200
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 3:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have info on the Lafayette Pavillion fire the other day? Heard a brief blurb on the news but haven't heard anything lately. Anyone have pics? Know how much damage was caused? It's going to be interesting to see if the management properly restores the historic landmark.

As a former resident I can tell you that the basement was a code hazard heaven. The building as a whole was managed and maintained poorly. It's sad to see a fire in this beautiful building, but not real surprising considering the way the place was ran.

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 408
Posted From: 69.14.27.204
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 3:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it was a water main break, unless I'm confusing this with another incident.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 476
Posted From: 198.109.44.2
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 3:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a main break. And the water flooded the basemnet of the Pavillion. Evidently the water shorted the electrical supply and rendered the building powerless until late yesterday afternoon.

Bvos

Post Number: 1136
Posted From: 70.227.207.200
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 3:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought there was a fire as well. The elevators are always breaking in that building (yes, all three at the same time) so that wouldn't be news worthy (of course nothing on TV news is news worthy these days).

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 478
Posted From: 198.109.44.2
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 3:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hadn't heard of a fire. I ususally get the calls for fires in high structures. When did you hear of a fire??

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 704
Posted From: 69.220.233.237
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if there was a fire, it wasn't very big at all. never saw any firetrucks, smoke, or a blaze. building was all lit up and working fine last night as far as i could tell.

also, bvos, you'll be happy to hear that they completed renovations a year or two ago. new hvac in all the units (you can now control heat and a/c in the unit), new finishes, new elevators, and restoration of all windows and lobby.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6198
Posted From: 198.208.251.24
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised to hear about elevator problems. The people I have known that live(d) there love the place.

Bvos

Post Number: 1141
Posted From: 66.238.170.39
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess the fire must have been small, just some electrical arcing. I know the fire dept. was called in because the footage on the news showed fire trucks in the background.

I lived in the Pavillion in 2001-2002. They had the old elevators when I moved in. They would break down every now and then, but only one at a time. They decided to install new ones and that's when all the problems really started. It took them about 4-5 months to rehab one elevator so the bldg would be down to only 2 elevators. Those two would break down all the time during the rehab, often at the same time. Then they'd get the new elevator online, only for it to break down a few days later, and then break down several more times over the course of several months.

The thing that got me out of there was the management. They were terrible about getting things fixed. It would often take a whole week of constant nagging (calling twice a day, stopping in the office at least once a day) to get your inoperable toilet or sink fixed. If you didn't nag, they'd show up about 3 months later to fix it (this actually happened to me. The neighbor accross the hall was head of maintenance. I saw him come home for the day and asked him why they didn't fix my sink. He ran downstairs, got the tools and parts and fixed it in 10 minutes. Apparently he forgot to complete the paperwork because 3 months later another maintenance worker showed up at my door to fix my sink.)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.