Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Metro Trading Association? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 879
Posted From: 68.42.176.44
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone on here ever used, or head of the Metro Trading Assocation, out of Troy?
http://www.metrotrading.com/te stimonials.asp

Does anyone know of any Detroit based businesses that barter through such an exchange?

Is anyone on here experienced in bartering, like on the above site?

Thanks.

Rocknrollscientist
Username: Rocknrollscientist

Post Number: 75
Posted From: 67.97.41.125
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not too familiar with it, but I know the Majestic Theater Center uses it.

Blondy

Post Number: 880
Posted From: 68.42.176.44
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good to know, I will ask Dave about it, and maybe he will get some money/barter credits for bringing me in as a member!

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 251
Posted From: 68.40.89.238
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to know someone that worked there and it was a good deal as long as you could find something to trade for

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 1460
Posted From: 68.84.183.189
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 4:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked for a company that used it quite frequently. It came in handy for certain things, but I know when a member came in to use our services, it was full mark-up, no discounts and we were to get full price on everything they wanted from us.

In essence it's a great idea until the other merchants rack up a heaping healthy total on you and then you're FORCED to go buy something from a fellow member.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 5232
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting, that would make it a controlled market...if the goods and services traded were NOT subject to current discounts and market adjustments it kinda throws off the concept of value.

Your old boss probably thought everyone is doing it...and perhaps they are. As long as the trades are at established retail pricing in effect every day then it wouldn't be so bad...but if those discounts are available to everybody and you only charge 'full price' to traders it is wrong.

You would be pre-loading your own trade without the opportunity for the trader to negotiate...which is simply bad ethics. It would be not unlike manipulating the worth of the dollars in someone's pocket before they spend them.

Smogger, what type of business was that you used to work in, if you don't mind me asking?!

Bobj

Post Number: 268
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The point about being forced to go somewhere is true, I remember going shopping at places or eating at places just to spend credit my friend got. The shopping or restaurant wasn't necessarily bad, but you were forced to go there to use the credits

Blondy

Post Number: 881
Posted From: 68.252.3.165
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am hoping to barter a lot of construction type trades, like painting, drywall, HVAC work, etc.

Bobj

Post Number: 271
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was involved with it, there was lots of of construction trade type stuff available.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.