Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Vinton building. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1390
Posted From: 129.9.163.106
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Vinton Building redevelopment story. (And a little description as to why it's taking so long.)

Some time ago (almost 3 years) the city sent out an RFP for the Vinton building.

The city received more than 6 but less than 10 responses. I do not know the exact number.

The city reviewed the bids and came up with 2 that they liked. One from Mr Robert Porcher and his development partners. The other from my group. My group was formed from a number of DetroitYes forumers and their friends. I will not name them, they will have to identify themselves. But, if you've been around here any length of time you probably know who they are.

After reviewing the two bids the City suggested that the two groups talk to each other.

Mr. Porchers group had identified a use for 4 floors of the building. The Forum based group had identified a use for 9 floors of the building.

After a few months of negotiations the two groups decided thay could and would work together on the proposal. Originally Mr Porcher's group would take 3 floors the forumers would take 9. Mr Porcher withdrew his proposal and merged with the forum group. Along the way one of the forum group dropped out. Mr Porcher picked up the available floor.

Mr. Porcher will be getting the first and second floors as commercial space. The rest of the building will be single floor condominiums. All of the forum members involved in the deal plan on living in the building. I expect 1 of the friends of the forum group to flip their unit.

The forum members will own the top 4 floors and floors 4-7. Mr. Porcher and his partner will own the first 3 floors and the 8th floor.

All members of the newly formed entity are putting in exactly the same amount of money per floor.

We won the bid because we offered the most money for the building and asked for the least amount in subsidies.

I guess that's enough to get started. I'll add more as time permits.

Machoken
Username: Machoken

Post Number: 1066
Posted From: 65.86.12.2
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great stuff.

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 644
Posted From: 69.220.62.144
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

12th floor Penthouse, checking in.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5139
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The amazing part is that this was kept a secret on the forum all this time. I was sure someone was going to blab.

Ndavies

Post Number: 1391
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have the tenth floor.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6174
Posted From: 198.208.251.23
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tear that schitt down!!

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9530
Posted From: 64.118.137.228
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be the first to admit, I was the forumer who dropped out. While I'm sure I would have loved it for its location, loft living wasn't for me, I need a garage and a shop at my place to be happy. I'm looking forward to this project forging ahead, as I know it was nerve racking for all those involved, as it was for me for the short time I was pondering my involvement. I just fear it would have been biting off a bit more than I could handle. Plus, I came to a cross road where if I hesitated, I would have lost my house that I now have.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 428
Posted From: 64.252.152.190
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kudos to all that are involved in this project. I hope to have the means to pull off similar things like this (on a smaller scale) in the near future.

Machoken

Post Number: 1067
Posted From: 65.86.12.2
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure this question is a bit too personal for an internet forum, but it nags at me relentlessly: how much did each forumer pony up? Articles have stated that each residential floor will be valued from $500K to $1 million.

I'm willing to accept if I need to become 'tangible' before I get that question answered.

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3244
Posted From: 67.103.104.93
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Minor comments -

* The Offer to Puchase package was released in January '04 not '03.

* The City did not demo the building and made the preservation of the building a priority. Bids that did not contemplate the restoration of the building were rejected. Further evidence that the City "gets" it, despite sky is falling claims to contrary.

Lurker
Username: Lurker

Post Number: 1512
Posted From: 65.196.220.198
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats to all parties involved. You guys are truly an asset to the city, and it's nice to see people put their money where their mouth is.

Paul
Username: Paul

Post Number: 21
Posted From: 69.222.15.94
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the developers are willing to field questions from the floor: If every investor is redoing their own floor, who is responsible for the outside? Will there be/is there a condo association or a 'lead' developer to renovate the facade? It is an interesting arrangement, but seems to invite a lot of disagreement about how much to invest in common costs like the facade restoration.

Dday
Username: Dday

Post Number: 780
Posted From: 65.209.165.170
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Visiting-atcha!!!

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 541
Posted From: 68.76.202.10
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What would you know about that, Lurker? :-)

Dday

Post Number: 781
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'll be the first to admit, I was the forumer who dropped out.

No need to be the first.....according to what was originally posted, you were the only :-).

Eap
Username: Eap

Post Number: 1221
Posted From: 70.230.12.29
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Skulker, Don't go F'ing up a happy thread....

Supersport, STFU, the story Mr. Ndavies tells doesn't even contemplate your minor waffling. Don't give yourself so much credit.

I wish all involved good luck.

Histeric

Post Number: 645
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those who understand, understand. Those who don't, don't.

What should be most important to other folks contemplating how they can participate in the REAL preservation of our built environment is that there is power in numbers. The forum served as an important tool to bring together like minded people (who i doubt would have known each other otherwise) who individually could never have tackled a project like the Vinton. When you combine their resources, and the 100% presold component of actually living in the building after its done, they beat out major developers for the right to develop. Go figure.

Ndavies

Post Number: 1392
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Read valued between $500K and $1 million. We expect the apprasials for the completed units to come back in that range. The costs are running a little less than the lower number. (but not enough for my comfort yet.)

Since our group is the developer and we're looking to live in the building, no profit will be realized until we sell the units. This has just become my number one retirement investment.

We are also using our own sweat equity to help keep costs in line.

Also, since construction hasn't started yet, the costs are still best guess projections.

Skulker

Post Number: 3245
Posted From: 67.103.104.93
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C'mon EAP, I'm not effing up a happy thread, I am simply reminding NDavies that while it FELT like three years, it was actually slightly less than two!

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1216
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second itsjeff's comment -- considering the amount of people on this board that knew about the project, and the number of times the project was discussed -- the fact that the participants remained nameless is pretty freakin' cool.

Histeric

Post Number: 646
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To answer Paul's question, the members formed a development LLC with an executive board who makes all decisions during the development process. There is a managing member who facilitates the process.

The development is a two step process. The first step is a complete restoration of facade, service core and common areas as well as a white box of the individual floors. Each member then has a holdback on their mortgages which allows them to customize to their hearts content. More complicated than a traditional deal? Yes. Too complicated to accomplish? Not at all.

Supersport

Post Number: 9533
Posted From: 64.118.137.228
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Supersport, STFU, the story Mr. Ndavies tells doesn't even contemplate your minor waffling. Don't give yourself so much credit.

Truth be told, I just didn't wanna live in the same building as you dickhead.

Dday

Post Number: 782
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations to all involved. I, for one, have been waiting to see this come out for some time.

Well done and kudos to all!

Ndavies

Post Number: 1393
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK some more. When the two groups merged they formed the Vinton Building LLC.

The LLC is charged with Demo of the obsolete building infastructure. It will rehab the exterior of the building and the interior infrastructure. It will complete the building to the point where each unit can be customized with the end users finishes. When the building is transfered to the end owners the LLC will be dissolved. A condo association will be created at that point.

The condo association is responsible for the exterior and common areas of the building.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 262
Posted From: 69.215.30.34
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ndavies: I posted this question in the WDET thread and may well have been missed. Anyway, I am wondering if someone out there would still be interested in contributing and investing in this project, how would they contact you ? Perhaps another forum member is keen on taking over Supersports' position.

Histeric

Post Number: 647
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are full up but I have identified a number of other buildings that I will be assembling similar teams to tackle. Now that our financing is closed and construction will begin, it is time to begin predevelopment on another.

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 395
Posted From: 67.114.23.202
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't there used to be a law library in that building? I seem to remember going there back in the early 80's.

Why is the investment the same for the lower floors as for the upper floors?

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 692
Posted From: 70.225.112.69
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

darwinism; read above-robert porcher took over that floor. also, not surprisingly, all floors/partners have owners/postions filled. [believe me, i tried :-) ]

anyhoo, this is a great template to how people can band together and get things done in the future. i know all above would be happy to share info., techniques, etc. congrats to all!

Ndavies

Post Number: 1395
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, all space and investment oportunities in the building are spoken for. It was definitely a case of needing to be in the right place at the right time.

Kazooexplorer
Username: Kazooexplorer

Post Number: 955
Posted From: 155.79.138.253
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So we can finally talk about this!? Just wanted to say it's been tough keeping things to myself but congratulations for taking the risk of development. I'm proud to know you all.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 35
Posted From: 68.60.133.115
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You better get some exterior lighting going on there.....

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 263
Posted From: 69.209.140.3
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Histeric and Ndavies: I am assuming that the both of you have stakes in the project. If there are new and similar projects, Rsa and I would be interested to participate, as expressed above.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 375
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me three.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 369
Posted From: 84.156.13.172
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ndavies.... does this mean we may not be neighbors anymore? That makes me sad....

btw, when I'm back in a few weeks, we need to have a beer.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5105
Posted From: 67.70.118.93
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eap, if Sporty hadn't dropped out, you wouldn't have such a valuable addition to the neighborhood.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 586
Posted From: 199.178.193.5
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since two of our members have "outed" themselves, I feel comfortable in outing myself. I don't know what floor I have, as the evil overlord of the Vinton Building LLC hasn't told me yet......While I think the whole idea is a great one (like to think I had something to do with it), for those of you who wish to invest, it is exactly that: An investment. You will probably have to put up a good amount of cash, and your credit to become involved in a project such as this.......as well as some degree of patience. I couldn't be more excited to do all of the above.
PS, in answer to a few of the above questions, I suppose it isn't unreasonable to think that a member could sell his position in the LLC at any point?!? I'll defer the answer to some of the more knowledgeable members however......

Panson
Username: Panson

Post Number: 748
Posted From: 141.156.44.80
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which building is this? Does anyone have pictures?

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 587
Posted From: 199.178.193.5
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Panson, don't make me.........

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4529
Posted From: 141.213.175.233
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The amazing part is that this was kept a secret on the forum all this time. I was sure someone was going to blab.

it's been hinted at quite a bit, and I thought I had put the pieces together, but it's great to finally see the whole story see the light of day.

Awesome job, guys. I look forward to seeing how this turns out. Preservation at work. Congratulations on your initiative.

Ddmoore54
Username: Ddmoore54

Post Number: 231
Posted From: 69.242.220.249
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you guys have a sign up on the exterior so passer-bys know the redevelopment is in the works?

Michael
Username: Michael

Post Number: 682
Posted From: 68.248.81.205
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice work to all involved. Kudos.

As for SSport...

quote:

While I'm sure I would have loved it for its location, loft living wasn't for me, I need a garage and a shop at my place to be happy.

Loft living is for you, just not in a high rise situation. I believe that my building would have fit all of your criteria. Hell, you could have pulled that big block Chevy engine downstairs and used the block and tackle to hoist it upstairs through the trap door and slide it into your bed where you could make sweet, sweet love to it 'til your hearts content.

Back to the Vinton, enough congratulations can not be bestowed on those involved, especially those doing the majority of the leg work. I look forward to watching the progress over the coming months and year.

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 402
Posted From: 69.14.27.204
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations to all for making this happen.

I figured out that Histeric and NDavies where involved by just paying attention on this forum, but didn't realize the scope of the partnership or the creative way in which it was structured. Great job and exactly what this city needs.

I would also like to throw my name in the hat for future projects.

I'm assuming I will I see you guys at the Workers Rowhouse Fundraiser tomorrow...

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2043
Posted From: 66.167.59.189
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What great news! Finally the cat is out the bag and we can finally talk about it. I am so proud of you folk for pulling this off and saving a valuable piece of Detroit! Detroit Rises indeed. Best wishes, backslaps and hugs all around.

vinton

Wmuchris
Username: Wmuchris

Post Number: 104
Posted From: 141.218.94.137
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man Alive!
I can only imagine having a whole floor of that sweet sweet thing! All those windows, you better save some room in your budget for blinds, or the neighbors might get an eyeful.

Congratulations guys, that place is going to be beautiful. I'd like to do the same thing with the Wurlitzer building, but I refuse to touch that thing for as much as old boy is asking for it.

Any word on ground floor retail? Is Porcher using for personal space?

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 366
Posted From: 67.149.108.143
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is anyone willing to say what the individual investment was per person? 100K, 200k, 300K... Please tell.. I would interested if the investment was less than 200k... Can't afford anymore.. Therefore I ask are there any plans to renovate any other building in downtown not midtown but downtown in the same manor? Such as the Book tower (not completely vacant).. Whitney building..

Could you please provide details on other vacant buildings that could be jointly purchased? Such as the UA Theatre building? (owned by the Illiches I know)...

I would be willing to partake in a joint venture... Please email me dmacpherson@wideopenwest.com

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1155
Posted From: 69.47.194.247
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

“The City did not demo the building and made the preservation of the building a priority.”

I am glad to see the city doing what is right.

Thanks again Skulker!

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 368
Posted From: 67.149.108.143
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This information is really news worthy... Honestly people who met on the web group together to buy a a building to preserve it...

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 525
Posted From: 66.2.149.176
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From a early 1930s shot looking up Woodward...

Vinton Bldg 1930s
WSU/VMC

Eap
Username: Eap

Post Number: 1222
Posted From: 69.212.60.58
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't get too carried away with the "they are saving a building" congratulatory stuff. As Ndavies said above there were other interested and well established developers competing for the opportunity to do this deal. Saving a building is when you are the only entity either willing or capable of doing the deal. However, I am by no means saying this team didn't take on significant risk.

Slows
Username: Slows

Post Number: 93
Posted From: 68.250.202.236
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And take on significant headaches. I think the perseverance alone by everyone involved is amazing. The obstacles faced and overcome to this point were tougher than almost any deal I've seen.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2045
Posted From: 66.167.59.189
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I wouldn't get too carried away with the "they are saving a building" congratulatory stuff."

Maybe... who knows. But they did it and the others didn't. That's all that counts. So excuse me while I get carried away. :-)

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 614
Posted From: 69.246.13.131
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well,, congratulations. I still think my proposal would have attracted more excitement to the downtown area. As you are aware, I proposed to make the Vinton building a 10 floor museum to the man, the legend, the Polish Prince, Bobby Vinton

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1587
Posted From: 4.229.150.33
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 4:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about a Forum Open House in a year or two? :-)

Congrats!

Dday

Post Number: 786
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I have the tenth floor.
-Ndavies

Is Ndavies a Bobby Vinton fan?

Read in your best The Bobs voice from Office Space

quote:

I'm a Bobby Vinton fan. I celebrate his whole catalog

Tetsua

Post Number: 432
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ndavies,

Do you think in the near future you, and your group would want to give a mini symposium on making this kind of deal work. Some of us are interested in these kinds of project, but want to learn a little more before jumping in head first.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5142
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come to an FSC. We've had "symposiums" on the Vinton Building for two years...

:-)

Tetsua

Post Number: 434
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool, I'll be there as soon as I get back (hopefully begining of the year).

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 742
Posted From: 141.216.1.4
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dday that was Michael Bolton.

Dday

Post Number: 788
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I know....I took a little artistic license for effect :-)

(Message edited by D-Day on December 08, 2005)

Gumby

Post Number: 743
Posted From: 141.216.1.4
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK all is forgiven

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 55
Posted From: 148.61.248.90
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is really great! It's good to hear about news like this.

It's also really great as an investement since I'm sure in 10 years the prices will be alot higher than they are now.

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1732
Posted From: 68.209.118.72
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome. I've been a bit Jealous since first hearing about this. It seems like a can't miss in terms of investment. Done right, this place could be THE place to own in the CBD.

quote:

It is an interesting arrangement, but seems to invite a lot of disagreement about how much to invest in common costs like the facade restoration.

obvious as it's already been stated, but creating a condo association solves all those problems. Believe me. If several hundred units can mostly agree in one building, then 12 parts can find a way to mostly agree. There will always be a small level of disagreement and associated resentment.

On the same note, will the condo association be managed by an outside party? Seems like a logical thing to do.

Congrats to all involved.

Ndavies

Post Number: 1396
Posted From: 69.212.215.89
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
quote:
It is an interesting arrangement, but seems to invite a lot of disagreement about how much to invest in common costs like the facade restoration.

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------

obvious as it's already been stated, but creating a condo association solves all those problems. Believe me. If several hundred units can mostly agree in one building, then 12 parts can find a way to mostly agree. There will always be a small level of disagreement and associated resentment.

We spent many months working on the Vinton Building LLC operating agreement. We made sure we knew the rules of the partnership before we started. It is part of the reason this took so long.

We had to really generate three agreements. The first at the formation of the development LLC. Then one with the City for the transfer of the building. The third is the Condo operating agreement. That is still in process but almost complete.

Yes, the lawyers are earning a nice little share of the outgoing cash.

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1733
Posted From: 68.209.118.72
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you going to rename the building? Is that even an option? Keep it for historical reasons?

Lots of questions.

Jasoncw

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Vinton-YES? :-)

Ndavies

Post Number: 1398
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Are you going to rename the building? Is that even an option? Keep it for historical reasons?

Renaming the building was an option. We decided to retain the original name.

It will receive a new sign at the top of the building. There will also be decorative lighting added to the outside of the building. The lighting is similar concept to what was added to the Kales.

quote:

How about a Forum Open House in a year or two?

I'm sure there will be plenty of parties, Knowing the group of people moving into the building. They are not the shy retiring type. (Well, everyone except me. I'm the shy one in the group.)

quote:

Lots of questions.

I'll try to answer them as best I can. Some questions, Such as what Mr. Porcher intends to do with the first floor, I cannot.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1331
Posted From: 69.212.59.185
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It will receive a new sign at the top of the building. There will also be decorative lighting added to the outside of the building. The lighting is similar concept to what was added to the Kales.

Sounds cool. Kick ass job for everyone involved - including whoever suggested that the Forum group and the Porcher group talk to each other.

Panson

Post Number: 750
Posted From: 198.45.18.38
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As for changing the name of the building, I was voted down on 'Casa De Panson'. I'm still pretty bitter about that.

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 437
Posted From: 209.240.205.61
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe i missed it in an earlier post, but when will the renovation start? What is the timeline until first move-ins?

The Wurlitzer does seem like a very logical choice for a Vinton building-like group collaboration and restoration. If only the damn owner weren't so greedy.

Ndavies

Post Number: 1402
Posted From: 129.9.163.234
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Construction can start as soon as the demo and building permits are back from the city. We're anticipating right after the holidays.

The initial construction timeline runs about 11 months from construction starting to sale of completed units to the puchasers.

The Wurlitzer has some additional issues that will make it a little more difficult to do than the Vinton is.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 908
Posted From: 68.248.54.29
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats to all involved!

Also, this building is in a great, central location, which is even an understatment. You're right on Woodward, one block down from Campus Martius, a couple blocks up from Hart Plaza...

Supersport

Post Number: 9556
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

As for changing the name of the building, I was voted down on 'Casa De Panson'. I'm still pretty bitter about that.

Sounds racist to me, I'd call Fieger! Oh wait, he may be busy. LOL

623kraw
Username: 623kraw

Post Number: 707
Posted From: 68.41.224.200
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 6:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kudos to all of you. This is great news.

I'm just seeing this thread for the first time and wondering what is the present condition of the building? Looks to be very solid and stable.

I was in the Kales Building the other day - amazing!

Vinton Building

Panson

Post Number: 751
Posted From: 152.163.100.195
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aside from some minor water damage due to a broken roof drain, it's in excellent condition.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 383
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just out of curiousity, does anyone have any photos of the current state of the inside of the building?

Michael

Post Number: 684
Posted From: 68.74.9.120
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just as a side note, I heard that other rejected names for the building were YayDetroit, DetroitYes and Black-atcha.

Ndavies

Post Number: 1407
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pictures, It's Pictures you want?

Lobby

typical floor1

typical floor2

Jasoncw

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't look too bad.

Are those cubicle marks on the floor? When was this building abandoned?

It'll be fun to see before and after pictures.

Ndavies

Post Number: 1409
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's tackless carpet strip. The pictures don't really show the amount of space there. Those windows are 4'x7'.

cube farm

3rd floor view

elevator

lobby stairs

Panson

Post Number: 752
Posted From: 152.163.100.195
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, the windows are closer to 5'x7' (4'-10", if I remember correctly).

E_hemingway

Post Number: 384
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. Good pics.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 62
Posted From: 198.103.184.76
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice view of the Detroit River.

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 132
Posted From: 68.41.153.99
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kudos to all involved...im insanely jealous and, at the same time, extremely proud to be part of a community of folks who are so committed to the city. I cannot wait to see the final product.

DetroitYES building warming - atcha?

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4553
Posted From: 141.213.175.233
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you guys are going to have so much fun with that.

what a great project. those windows are awesome. looks like some fantastic views, too.

Histeric

Post Number: 649
Posted From: 68.42.77.90
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding a name change, we didn't really consider it given the prominent role the Vinton family played in constructing most of Kahn's residential structures in IV, GP, etc. That provenance made our request for historic designation a foregone conclusion. The only remaining step is for council to act on the unanimous recomendation from Historic Designation Advisory Board.

As for why the investment is the same, regardless of which floor assigned, there is a method to the madness. The top four floors are occupied by those folks (all forumer on this thread) who have put an enormous amount of time into the exec board, development team, design and construction meetings. After that, it was more or less first come (with all necessary docs), first serve. At the end of the day, it is as fair as possible and given the fact that folks are able to purchase their units for around 110.00 a square foot, while 250.00 per square is being charged across CM park, anyone who complains can KMA.

For those seriously interested in the concept and more importantly, has some dough and good credit, I will be starting a thread on the connections side over the holiday break with the first meeting to take place sometime after the first of the year. In particular, I am putting a team together to tackle one of the biggies (as in thirty plus stories) so there will be considerably more memberships available in this one for both live and work. I hope to have a third of this one leaning toward office condominiums for young entreprenuers. Feel like taking a ride?

As for the amount necessary to buy into a membership, think in terms of 50-100k liquid and several times that amount in borrowing power. For the Vinton, times that by 12. For the next project, times that by 30+. As many of you have probably figured out by now, it really is a simple matter of applying a hybrid of the non profit development methodology I use in my day job to a market rate deal. Everyone shares the risk and ultimately, they share the benefits. Hippy dippy I know, but think of how such a model could shrink the gaps that exist in some deals. Minus the 10-20 percent profit line item and lots more can happen. Can anyone say preservation?

Skulker

Post Number: 3268
Posted From: 68.42.176.88
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

p...pp...pre....presevinton? Presevision? presidentclinton? Prestidigitation?

I can't seem to say that so....f#@% it, just blow the damn thing up......

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 556
Posted From: 68.60.139.186
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what about 600 Woodward ...?

Michael

Post Number: 685
Posted From: 67.38.12.5
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vinton = 600 Woodward

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 578
Posted From: 69.47.170.119
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Definetly jealous too! What a great thing you guys are doing!

Gumby

Post Number: 748
Posted From: 204.39.225.195
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<------trying to picture these "biggies"

Could you possibly be talking about the Stott?

Machoken

Post Number: 1075
Posted From: 68.62.2.248
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL @ skulker!

I'm extremely jealous. A little angry too, that I don't have the means to get involved with one of these. Damnit, give me 10 years and I'm down, put me down!

(Message edited by machoken on December 12, 2005)

Sfdet
Username: Sfdet

Post Number: 69
Posted From: 69.109.200.94
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

couple of questions for the investors (sorry if any of them are redundant from earlier posts):

about how many usable sq ft per residential floor?

will investors have the space and/or right to build more than one residential unit per floor?

where will residents park? (i know, sore question around these parts)

thanks. great job, you guys!

(Message edited by sfdet on December 12, 2005)

(Message edited by sfdet on December 12, 2005)

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 579
Posted From: 69.47.170.119
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edit: (NM, see Sfdet next post I had no relevent info for him/her.... :P )

BTW anyone want to get together with the DuCharme building on Grand Blvd. and John R?

I keep telling all my friends about this and they are all amazed in a good way. Even I'm still amazed that forum members came together to do such a thing. It's great!

(Message edited by adamjab19 on December 12, 2005)

Sfdet
Username: Sfdet

Post Number: 70
Posted From: 69.109.200.94
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

to clarify my earlier question about parking, will the residential units come with existing rights to a permanently reserved parking space in a designated nearby garage? or are the residents on their own to find permanent designated parking in a nearby garage if they so choose?

Ndavies

Post Number: 1413
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's approximately 3700 Sq. Ft. as a single unit. If you split it in 2, you lose another 1000 Sq.Ft. You need to provide a hallway outside the units. This allows access to both the stairwell and fire escape for both units. This is one of the things that drove us to 1 unit per floor.

The other was the parking. We hope to have one parking space per residential unit. It will be in the basement. We're putting in a car elevator. We've been negotiating with the neighboring decks for additional parking.

Jasoncw

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 3:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Stott would be cool, but isn't that already owned by someone (and partially occupied)? The Detroit Free Press Building might not be bad, judging from the outside. I don't know how the inside's arranged. But $3,000,000 in borrowing power seems like alot to me.

Has anyone contacted a newspaper about the Vinton Building? To me this is definately news-worthy!

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 16
Posted From: 66.19.19.75
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 7:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was in the newspaper:
http://www.detnews.com/2005/bu siness/0502/27/B01-101205.htm

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 69
Posted From: 204.24.64.25
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone sketched up their floor plan yet?
It has to be pretty cool to layout your own floor plan, and have 3700 sft to work with!

Ndavies

Post Number: 1414
Posted From: 129.9.163.234
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why would we want this in the local papers? They couldn't even retype a press release accurately.

The linked article is the example. There are so many innacuracies in that article. They took the original press release we sent them and fabricated a bunch of things into it.

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2581
Posted From: 136.181.195.17
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RJ King did something like that? You don't say...

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 245
Posted From: 35.8.218.33
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another building with potential for this style of development is the Capitol Park Building/1145 Griswold it's selling for a pretty reasonable $2,200,000. I think people already live in the building so it can't be in that bad of shape.

http://www.exclusive-realty.co m/properties.html

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 7883
Posted From: 64.228.66.47
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Eric. That is a fantastic building! I'm not sure about the inside of it though.

Does anyone know what kid of shape it is in?

BTW: I noticed that the Masonic Temple is for lease. Do the masons still use the building?

Slows
Username: Slows

Post Number: 96
Posted From: 68.42.77.90
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1145 Griswold has only one tenant on the upper floors, and then owner occupied ground floor. Has a tough mezzanine level to deal with too. Needs a ton of work, has five elevator shafts that eat up too much room. As usual, parking issues to deal with.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6202
Posted From: 198.208.251.24
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Say it ain't so:

400 East Congress Detroit
cm Confidential
Sale 5,000 sqf
Approx. Call for details. Business, Equipment, Furniture, Class "C" Liquor LIcense, 15 year lease.

If new owners come in they better not change the food!!

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 257
Posted From: 71.10.63.140
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ohh...

the abandoned free press building would be nice

Everyman
Username: Everyman

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 24.136.14.239
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish it were like 3 years from now ...

Kraemerdesigngroup
Username: Kraemerdesigngroup

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 69.216.129.114
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dnvn522 - KDG designed a loft in another Detroit building with the same foot print, except without the long wall of windows. Here is idea we came up for that building. Ceilings were a bit higher.

loft1
loft7

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 637
Posted From: 69.246.13.131
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A view of the Vinton Building from the David Stott

WSU
Vinton

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 67.107.47.65
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW: I noticed that the Masonic Temple is for lease. Do the masons still use the building?
-----

Yes.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.