Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Get well soon ham-town « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Troy
Username: Troy

Post Number: 152
Posted From: 67.37.213.65
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sadly a great eatery was shut down due to fire this weekend in ham-town. The side street deli previously salvador deli was caught on fire
(roof colapsed) due to the neighboring building being on fire. This deli just changed hands and the new owner I am sure is having a sad time. It was a place with a good feeling, excellent food and great staff. Look forward to the rebuild and get well soon ham-town.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6150
Posted From: 198.208.251.23
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great food and right across from Primary Space. Sad to see this happen. Hoepfully the owner was insured and can get through this.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 671
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no way!!!

i've eaten brunch there a bunch of times, i loved finally finding a local place that serves up some vegan breakfast food, tofu instead of eggs, boca sausage etc

i hope they can come back, i miss it already :-( x 100

Rocknrollscientist
Username: Rocknrollscientist

Post Number: 73
Posted From: 67.97.41.89
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oddly, the last time I was in there was last month and a regular was telling me that he heard they wouldn't be able to stay open past Thanksgiving due to debt. I'm not implying anything, it's just a sad coincidence. I loved eating there. The best non-alcoholic brunch in town!

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 672
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i ate there the sunday right after thanksgiving....it was business as usual *shrugs* ('course that also wasn't the absolute end of the month either)

Troy
Username: Troy

Post Number: 153
Posted From: 67.37.213.65
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Business deal was completed on the sale a week prior to the fire. The sale was probably due to financial reasons. The fire was at the corner store attached to sidestreet and spread through the adjoining roofs. The roof then collapsed on the side street portion.

What I heard is the new owner did have insurance and will rebuild. Hopefully some of the staff can come back along with the menu.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 691
Posted From: 68.255.236.239
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i just found out that a friend of mine just bought the place. sadly not long enough to get insurance-the agent was coming by today to write the policy.

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2575
Posted From: 136.181.195.17
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something's amiss in Hamtramck...

This fire, an 80-something lady hacked on her way into a beauty shop, a recent string of daytime armed robberies...

Pretty soon, it's gonna be as bad as Ann Arbor!

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 70.230.13.179
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i know the person who just sold the Sidestreet not even a week ago.
as far as i know he didn't sell it for financial reasons.
it is sad that it's gone now.

623kraw
Username: 623kraw

Post Number: 697
Posted From: 68.41.224.200
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live 2 blocks from the site and this is what I heard: The fire originated in the recently opened clothing/resale shop that faces Campau (which wasn't doing so well and was insured). The fire marshall determined the cause of the blaze to be arson. The smoke shop next door and Side Street (formerly Salvador Deli) were both uninsured. The owner of Amicci's Pizza (right across Yemans Street) had just sold the Side Street weeks ago.

Damn - no more free wi-fi connection!!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3534
Posted From: 207.74.110.10
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like some greedy person is out to get the strip Ham-towm district and run those folks out. Arabs, Blacks, Polish, Balkans, Czecks, Armenians, East Indians, Bengladeshis, Germans. They all want a piece of Hamtramck.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 610
Posted From: 69.246.13.131
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ Is there a Special Olympics for some DetroitYes posters?

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 882
Posted From: 68.252.3.165
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a benefit for the new owner of the deli this monday night.....
Hey all, Monday night the Belmont will be hosting a benefit for the owner of the Sidestreet Deli that burned down last weekend. If you never had a chance to meet Tara, stop by to say hi. This young woman spent her life savings to follow a dream and lost it in 10 days, before the insurance started. The clothing store next door burned, and ended hear dream. She took a chance on Our neighborhood, and Hamtramck...And I have no doubt it would, and maybe still will be a fantastic addition to our city. Please show up and help show her some real family support. Monday night, $3.00 to get in...Donations accepted. Live entertainment.

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 216
Posted From: 4.229.36.28
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been thinking of moving to Hamtown, since I have always enjoyed hanging out there and they often have houses for sale in my price range. But I am wary for buying a house anywhere right now, because of our current economic state and what this type of economic state does to people and their neighborhoods. My sister's old neighborhood in south Warren has gone downhill VERY fast. (I am not referring to any changes in the area's racial makeup, BTW. I am mostly talking about violent crime, foreclosures, and a decrease in property values.) Sis and her husband barely broke even when they finally did find a buyer for their house. I don't want to get stuck in a similar situation.

Kbkav
Username: Kbkav

Post Number: 215
Posted From: 69.220.62.144
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3568
Posted From: 141.217.173.28
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtramck in now entering into a ethnic WAR for neighborhood control.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.