Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » A Fantastic Press Conference « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 853
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obama is very open to the press and people of the country. This is so opposite of the last 8 years. He is poised, to become one of the people's favorites.

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 782
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Intelligent, thoughtful, non-scripted answers--no cringe-worthy moments. Quite a difference indeed!

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 4013
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I'll say it one more time, Stotter. This republican is impressed with the man, both in what he is doing and what he says. He fielded those questions very well, answering with eloquence and thought. Couple of the questions from reporters were kind of stupid, like Ann Coulter about the race issue. But he handled even them very smoothly.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1378
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, if only Republicans like you were in control of the party... Well, then I would vote spit-ticket again.

Put parties aside, we're all Americans!

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1858
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The follow-up question by Ed Henry was a bit over the top, IMO, and he was very deservedly verbally slapped down for it by President Obama.

Ed Henry: "Why did it take you a couple of days to respond (outrage) about AIG?"

President Obama: "It took a couple of days because I like to know what I'm talking about before I speak."

20043_stotter

Post Number: 854
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We all should know what we're talking about before we speak, like CC.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1772
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if you say his name 3 times, I hear he comes into a thread...

CcBatson

CcBatson

CcBatson

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9125
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stay away from your mirror.

Actually, let's have some fun.

Karl.

Karl.

Kar-r-r-l-l.

'Cuz, yanno, Cc is still a lightweight compared to our old favorite nemesis!

Did I just hear something explode in northern Michigan?!

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 19656
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nonscripted? Missed the 52 inch LCD teleprompter he was reading from, did you?

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1774
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do you teleprompt an answer????

Do you screen every reporter before they ent...oh wait...

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2537
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obama shines in comparison to the last couple of years, but where Obama is cerebral Clinton was pure emotion. If we were to compare linguistic skills to Mr Bush, even Marcel Marceau would come out ahead.

Long before all his tricks were well known, Bill Clinton was very engaging. His, "I feel your pain" with the quivering lip was very theatrical.

I appreciate Obama's skills, but a couple of things bugged me. He kept on using two phrases over and over. One was "...a host of ..." and two was something like, "That not just my opinion ..."

They weren't terrible like that Nixon era, "At this point in time " phrase, but I counted them used almost 10 times a piece. Such an over use of a particular phrase is a crutch and a bit of a shield.

The two things I really found offensive was the nervous hyenna laughter on 60 Minutes and the Special Olympics gaffe on Leno.

But a whole host of forum members insist Obama can do no wrong, and that's not just my opinion.

Alsodave

Post Number: 783
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You mean the one that was on while he was reading his opening remarks? The same one that was off while he was answering questions?

Must have missed it. Thanks for pointing that out.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 855
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alsodive, Your just a sore loser. The press conference was a real success. Obama's rating should rise after it. Don't feel bad, you only have another 8 years to sulk.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 4017
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If we were to compare linguistic skills to Mr Bush, even Marcel Marceau would come out ahead."

Gnome, you really tickled my funnybone with that one! Thx!

20043_stotter

Post Number: 856
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alsodave, Disregard my above post, thank you. Too much wine.....Lead to confusion...... :-)

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 601
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You mean the one that was on while he was reading his opening remarks? The same one that was off while he was answering questions?

You can tell when Obama isn't using his teleprompter, he starts using "uh", or "um" every other word, along with multiple awkward pauses.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 857
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what? And Bush was a skilled orator, right? I don't care, prompter or no prompter. He is poised to be the champion of the american people and will succeed. Write it down.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 8765
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"along with multiple awkward pauses"

those "awkward pauses" are actually the signs of an intelligent person thinking through an answer

Wally

Post Number: 602
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So what? And Bush was a skilled orator, right?

What does Bush have to do with it? I'm talking about, uhh, umm, <pause> Obama.

quote:

those "awkward pauses" are actually the signs of an intelligent person thinking through an answer

Or umm, the signs of <pause> a clueless person, uhh, grasping for words.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 2854
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think Obama has done much of anything other than spend tons of money; the treasury can't printit fast enough.

I do like how he has tried to reach out to the world and show that the USA has been humbled. Also he inherited a horrible mess by one of the most incompetent presidents ever! But Obama has talked a good game with little results other than to spend money.

Rb336

Post Number: 8766
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it has been all of two damn months. it took the bushies 8 years to create this mess

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 808
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wally, this temprompter stuff is right out of Rushs' play book. What does a teleprompter or lack thereof have anything to do how Obama governs or tries to explain to the American people complex issues that Bush wouldn't even attempt.

What does a pause or two while answering a question mean that he is clueless. He is grasping for words because unlike Bush he's careful about what comes out of his mouth. Unlike Bush, Obama's statements tend to get taken out of context.

Gee, I guess now Obama will need to go to Toastmaster meetings so he can learn how to be a president

Wally

Post Number: 604
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, you listen to Rush Limbaugh? I don't.

Again, someone brings up Bush again. Bush's lack of communication skills doesn't automatically make Obama a great orator.

Obama's erratic speech is difficult to listen to.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 809
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've tried listening to Rush, but after I heard the fifth lie two minutes into the show I just couldn't take it anymore. I love differences of opinions but I can't deal with lies and misrepresentations.

My point is what does a great orator have to do with being an effective president.

To each his own as far as speech preferences go.

I tend to focus on the content more than the style.

(Message edited by firstandten on March 26, 2009)

Wally

Post Number: 605
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

My point is what does a great orator have to do with being an effective president.

To each his own as far as speech preferences go.

I tend to focus on the content more than the style.

I agree with that.

Alsodave

Post Number: 784
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

20043_stotter, no harm no foul. :-)

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2542
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

AlsoDive

hmmm, me thinks DaveSquared was fun, but AlsoDive is much better. :-)

Alsodave

Post Number: 785
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll have to consider it when we switch over to the "new" board!

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19666
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Q and A was probably coached and memorized with ringers asking the scripted questions.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19667
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New board? Are you leaving Dyes AlsoDave?

Alsodave

Post Number: 786
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New board? What new board? I didn't say new board.

(Damn!)

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19690
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blackouts again AlsoDave?

Let me remind you...your post #785, as I look at it now, 4 posts above (prior) to this one on this thread.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6267
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Makes you wonder about all those "techical difficulties" that his predecessor had with his teleprompter, doesn't it Cc??

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19700
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He didn't rely as heavily as Obama does on the scripts.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2068
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He should have used more scripts, so that he would have embarrassed our country less and strung intelligible sentences together more.

Then again, with his agenda maybe it was a good thing that he wasn't very articulate.

Then again, again, maybe he was trying to appeal to the inarticulate. Maybe he was a genius.

Alsodave

Post Number: 787
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It appears that you have missed this announcement on the Discuss Detroit side:

quote:

Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT!
Beta testers invited to sign up and test new forum - Click Here then click Register.

My comment on my new "handle" clearly was in reference to that news--which has been posted for a few weeks. Your lack of knowledge of forum news is not my concern.

quote:

Blackouts again AlsoDave?

Veiled insults because you don't understand something? Don't you usually refer to the Forum rules in those cases? Methinks you should re-read said rules.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 858
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll bet he was the class snitch in grade school, and had his ass handed to him on numerous occasions.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19712
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I didn't say new board" Alsodave #786.

"...consider it when we switch over to the new board" Alsodave #785.

A clear lapse of short term memory...AKA a blackout.

No rules broken there.

Oladub
Username: Oladub

Post Number: 1345
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drivel for the masses. I liked the part about how more government spending, pumping up the deflated housing bubble, and giving Americans incentives to go more deeply into debt are solutions for the debts and bubbles that the government created to get us into this mess. The offer of more economic crack must have excited the addicts.

That, of course, was just the warm up. The President went on, "Secretary Geithner announced a new plan that will partner government resources with private investment to buy up the assets that are preventing our banks from lending money." "Government Resources?" I think that is sort of tax money being used to further bail out the bankers. Happy days are here again - at least for Wall Street types.

Antidote for drivel-
"Peter Schiff: The Crisis Just Begun"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =WPmdzKcDe-s

Alsodave

Post Number: 790
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cc,

You're attempt at humor is not humorous.

Again, the veiled insults are not necessary or appropriate.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19735
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just trying to be helpful and point out what is either a failing memory, or sloppy posting.

Alsodave

Post Number: 791
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again, your attempt at humor is not humorous.

Have "fun" running the board.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19737
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that it is not funny...but I was not attempting to be humorous.

Alsodave

Post Number: 792
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Humorous, deliberately obtuse, repression, recession, it's all the same.

One minute to midnight--you'll have your full run of 20 posts. "Enjoy".

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19740
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If a person has no comprehension of the definitions of those words I suppose they could be seen as "all the same".

Those with a more discriminating grasp of the language and vocabulary will not see it that way at alll.

Alsodave

Post Number: 794
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Those with a more discriminating grasp of the language and vocabulary will not see it that way at alll.

My grasp of vocabulary is clearly inferior to yours. Please define "alll". Thanks!

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19747
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You prove the point marvelously...alll is a spelling error, not a language/vocabulary/comprehens ion issue. Your gracious admission is very accurate.

Alsodave

Post Number: 797
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your omission of humor is noted.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 865
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CC, You screwed up again.

You prove the point marvelously...alll is a spelling error, not a language/vocabulary/comprehens ion

comprehens ion?

20043_stotter

Post Number: 866
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Panty's in a bunch, out there? (_!_)

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7998
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Copied directly from the frontpiece of the ever changing Official, but unpublished, Glossary of Batsonia

20043_stotter

Post Number: 867
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yow!, Good one.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1875
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fuck Obama and all the politicians, pawns, crooks and liars, the lot of them. This country has and continues to be bought and paid for by the ultra-wealthy. After listening to his spiel on WDIV, regarding the fate of GM and Chrysler, he is just as full of BS as his Chimpy predecessor was. Kissing the collective asses of bailed out bankers, while giving tough love to the automotive industry and its employees.

"We (government} don't want to be in the auto manufacturing industry"

But its okay for taxpayers and the government to be in the banking bailout business with mind-boggling debt and force many future generations to have back-breaking tax obligations at birth from the banking, and the defense (WOT) industry, huh, Barack??

Less that 100 days in office, and I am done being an Obama apologist. The Republicans suck and so do the Democrats. Neither represent the middle-class, and both parties are pawns of the ultra-wealthy capitalists.

By the middle of this century, 10% or less of the US will be either what passes for "middle-class" or will be "ultra-wealthy", the rest will be dirt-poor, in prison, or dead.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19761
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ultra wealthy liberal Democrats using government to expand that influence..yes Flanders. You are starting to get it.

Oladub
Username: Oladub

Post Number: 1352
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bats, You can't blame Democrats for Bush and McCain. I think it would be more correct to blame financial interests that subvert both parties.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3079
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 4:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am, for one, glad Obama is so open and transparent.

I like to be lied at to my face.

Rb336

Post Number: 8780
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dead on, ola

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19791
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obama open and transparent? Nothing could be further form the truth.

Ola...remember that both Bush and McCain openly criticised and made efforts to reform Freddie and Fannie (children of the CRA...a liberal Democrat entitlement program).

Rb336

Post Number: 8791
Posted on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bats, remember that even conservative economists have stated that F/F are a minor part of this

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.