Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » “Dirty Jobs” coming to the Soo Locks « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 391
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Talk Radio 1400 in Sault Saint Marie:

"The Discovery Channel’s Dirty Jobs television show will be in Sault Michigan to tape a segment at the Soo Locks. Mike Rowe, the star of the show, and crew are expected to be in town today.
Linda Hoath, Executive Director of the Sault Area Convention and Visitors Bureau, confirmed Mike Rowe and the crew will be in the Sault to experience maintenance in the Soo Locks with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

The show filmed a segment at the Mackinaw Bridge back in 2007. Hoath says the visit will also include stops in Mackinac Island and around Escanaba."

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 1472
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Crystal...love Mike Rowe. I saw the Mackinaw Bridge episode and it looked pretty scary changing a light bulb on top of the bridge!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6795
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems as though Mike Rowe has had some pretty cool gigs up north. You'd think that in an area as gritty as ours is down here in SE Michigan, somebody could suggest a dirty job he could come do in our area!

And yes, I love his show too. No matter who he talks to about their job and the God awful working conditions they endure on a daily basis, every one of those folks genuinely seems to enjoy their jobs. I know several instances of people and their jobs where they could take a hint from some of those people highlighted on the show.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9588
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike Rowe had a less than dirty Detroit job, as spokesman for the Ford F-150. The new campaign has Dennis Leary.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 392
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would not want to change a bulb on the Mackinac Bridge, no way no how.

A few years ago we rode our bikes across the bridge as part of an organized ride. The police delayed the ride by an hour because of fog. Seeing water through the road grating while riding was unnerving.

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1442
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike was also at Mackinac Island some time ago helping collect the garbage and clean out the poo from the horse barns.... I remember the bridge episode too, especially the part scraping and sloshing on paint down in the bowels of the bridge.

(Message edited by olddetroiter on March 10, 2009)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9591
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah that's right I forgot about the Island episode. Lots o' poo, and mulching the leftovers from the Grand Hotel.

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 1473
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh poo, i missed the poo episode.

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 19326
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And American citizens perform these jobs? I thought only Mexicans would stoop to doing these jobs.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6775
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The guy's intelligent. He's passionate about what he does.

Duration 21 minutes:

Dirty Jobs' Mike Rowe on Lamb Castration, PETA, and American Labor

Dirty Jobs' Mike Rowe on Lamb Castration, PETA, and American Labor

He constantly begs his audience for new dirty job suggestions. Help him out.

http://www.mikeroweworks.com/

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 19330
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So much for the immigration argument.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.