Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Woman calls 911 on Mc Donalds « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 2024
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do these stories irritate any one else? I mean if I walk into Mickey Dees, go behind the counter and grab an order of Mc nuggets and walk out without paying. Will the store's manager get arrested for mis using 911 when he calls the police on me?

(Message edited by cambrian on March 04, 2009)

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1767
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John McCain's brother Joe called 911 twice during the fall campaign to complain about traffic:

Operator: Alexandria 911, state your emergency

Caller: Well, it's not an emergency but do you know why on one side at the damn drawbridge of 95 traffic is stopped for 15 minutes and yet traffic's coming the other way across the drawbridge?

Operator: Sir, are you calling 911 to complain about traffic? (pause)

Caller: "[Expletive]" (caller hangs up)

John McCain's brother's angry 911 call: a short family fuse

I can understand some small portion of the US population being ignorant enough to call 911 for a non-emergency, but the brother of a POTUS candidate really should know better.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2911
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The issue is, not that there were no McNuggets, but that the store would not refund her money. They took her money and couldn't give her the nuggets, then refused to refund her money. I think her calling the police may have been over the top, but lots of people don't know there is another way to resolve things. Calling the manager would be number one on my list, but if they still refused my refund, I might call the police, too. Maybe not 911, but what is the non-emergency number? Does anyone remember theirs?

Cambrian

Post Number: 2025
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly! What's the difference if it's McDonald's stealing this lady's money or me stealing the McNuggets? Crime is a crime, I understand they offered her an item of similar value; But if instead of paying for the McNuggets I ate, could I offer to mop their kitchen floor instead? Would that stop me from being arrested for retail fraud?

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4494
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know the number for 311???

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2912
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the problem, there isn't a national non-emergency number program. I was on I-26 heading south a month ago when I saw a car on the other side catch fire. I called 911 and reached the South Carolina emergency system. Where could I call anywhere in the country for a non-emergency situation? Here, I have to look up the non-emergency number every time I need it. It's something like 248-796-somethingx4.

Cambrian, I think the problem was that it wasn't an emergency, because the business wasn't going anywhere. You, the absconder, on the other hand, would be an unknown person heading to parts unknown, so apprehending you on the spot would be necessary, or the cost of finding you would exceed the cost of immediate intervention. That can be a difficult thing to figure out in the heat of the moment.

(Message edited by gazhekwe on March 04, 2009)

Cambrian

Post Number: 2029
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's just interesting that the mechanisms in place to deal with these issues are so different. I shop lift a box of McNuggets, I get a night in jail, courtesy the taxpayers, and up to a 60 day jail sentence, community service what have you, the direct cost to McDonalds for the service of the police and courts to deal with me is $0. The lady's recourse to recover her lost $5 is to file a claim in small claims court, pay the fees associated with such and miss time at work to make her argument. With a system set up like that, why refund when you advertise merchandise you have no intention of selling? Don't seem right.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1503
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did she ever get her ass out of the vehicle? Go inside? Ask for the shift manager for a resolution? The read is NO.

Did she abuse an emergency system frivolously?
Many have. She's one to add to the list. Without a cell phone, what would she have done?

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 409
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh for gawd's sake Cambrian!

You think her only options are 911 or small claims court?

If that would have happened to me, I would have gotten the names of the employees involved, then I would have called and written the company about it. I'm sure corporate would have apologized, refunded her money, and sent coupons. Case closed.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1844
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would have called 911 and had a total meltdown in the middle of the store.

I think both her and the employees that wouldn't refund her money should be kicked in the balls and in the absence of balls, kicked in the uterus for being stupid.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm calling 911 right now about the $14 sandwich at the Book Cadillac.

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 19189
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the purpose of laws if they are not to be enforced?

Cambrian

Post Number: 2031
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno, I've hit a lot brick walls dealing with companies who hide behind policies that benefit thier self interest and screw the consumer. No matter how high you take your complaining they keep reciting "Our policy is...".

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 275
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"911, what's your emergency?"

"Help, I have a crack in my butt!"

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 19209
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They stole money from her. She could file suit, but that means costly lawyers, so...what legal recourse remains?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.