Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Snow along the East Coast « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 388
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take a look at this great MODIS picture taken today, and be sure to read the accompanying text. The cloud streets are especially beautiful!

http://earthobservatory.nasa.g ov/IOTD/view.php?id=37261

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2906
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. I drove through the aftermath of this storm in South and North Carolina yesterday from south of Spartanburg, SC almost to Asheville, NC. I'm sure glad I missed all that fun. There were still foot high snowbanks on the roadsides, and in some places, the lanes on I-26 were still icepacked and slippery. The trees were wearing lovely coats of shiny white snow. The sun was shining and it was close to 30 degrees. I only saw about six vehicles in the ditch, which surprised me. Maybe that 15 mile traffic jam slowed everybody down enough to avoid the ditches.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4483
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^And you probably didn't even stop at the Beacon Drive-In in Spartanburg. Shame on you.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2907
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will next time, now that I know about it. I think it was too early for lunch anyway, and I had my dog with me.

Danindc

Post Number: 4484
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand that Spartanburg received about 5.5 inches of snow. Ninety miles to the southeast, Columbia received nothing--the air was just warm enough to change the "wintry mix" into a cold drizzle.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2908
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I spent the night in Columbia. There was no snow and the wet pavement stayed wet, not frozen. It was just misting for the most part. Spartanburg and north of there looked about the worst next day, at least 5 1/2 inches if not more.

Now that I have read the Beacon reviews, I think I will have to go there with several people to eat one of the meals.

Danindc

Post Number: 4485
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^If you get the chili cheese-a-plenty, don't make any plans for a few hours, other than napping.

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALL IT!

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 19169
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ice caps are melting, the Polar bears are drowning, New York will be under 20 feet of water momentarily, we are heading into the armageddon that is man made global warming....What? Colder you say? More snow? How can that be?

Danindc

Post Number: 4487
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Global warming is responsible for the overall upward temperature trend, and any snow outside our window shouldn’t convince us that Earth has stopped heating up, says Richard Heim, an NCDC meteorologist. "Most of the top 10 warmest years have happened in the last decade and a half," Heim tells ScientificAmerican.com. "Global warming does not mean every year will be warmer than the previous year. Global warming means there's an increasing frequency of warmer temperatures and a decreasing frequency of cooler temperatures, and that’s definitely what we're seeing."

So how to explain the relatively colder winters we've had in the latter half of this decade? Goddard attributes them to La Niña, a cyclical pattern of cold sea-surface temperatures in the Pacific Ocean. La Niña in the first half of 2008, followed by a neutral period in the latter half, likely had something to do with it, Heim says, but adds that global warming is about long-term, rising temperature trends over time. "It's kind of like a drunk driver," Heim says. "The car is weaving back and forth, but it's still progressing forward."

http://www.sciam.com/blog/60-s econd-science/post.cfm?id=cold -winter-doesnt-mean-global-war m-2009-02-12

I know this is from *Scientific* American, but don't let that little "S" word scare you, Doctor.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19176
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waffling back peddle in action.

It doesn't help that the conclusions are circumstantial, non scientific, and based on a consensus of heavily coerced "scientists" that have sold their soul and have no integrity.

Danindc

Post Number: 4488
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It doesn't help that the conclusions are circumstantial, non scientific, and based on a consensus of heavily coerced "scientists" that have sold their soul and have no integrity.

SOURCE?

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19178
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Logic...and for specifics, look at Chris Horner's book "Global warming, a politically incorrect guide" and the many many references listed there.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 8618
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe you are still touting that thoroughly discredited book, bats.

virtually all the references in Horner's book fall into one, or both, of the following categories:
1)circular citations
2)things written by those in the pay of fossil fuel concerns

nothing in it stands the scrutiny required for peer review, and the few citations that ARE peer reviewed have been either repudiated by their authors or been proven wrong

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19240
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Discredited by whom?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5382
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one can argue good science about global warming being caused by man. It's junk or "political" science to argue that such a small sampling (~100 years) is representative of a human caused change in a system as old as the Earth, especially given its past history of ice ages.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2920
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who cares what is causing it? If there is something we can do to slow it down, or adapt to it, we need to get on with the job.

Danindc

Post Number: 4507
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It's junk or "political" science to argue that such a small sampling (~100 years) is representative of a human caused change in a system as old as the Earth, especially given its past history of ice ages.

Except climate scientists *aren't* using only the past 100 years for their timeline.

Whether natual climate change is occurring or not, industrial pollution and reliance on personal automobiles certainly hasn't helped, has it?

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1775
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many conservatives religiously believe in creationism, and that the Earth is only thousands of years old, and not billions, UNLESS climate change is the topic, then the planet is far too old for current scientific studies to prove that humans have a damaging effect on it...LOL!!

But the core issue with conservatives REALLY is the ability for industry to pollute with impunity. Capitalist profit is sacrosanct and must be protected vs a "few" complaints by concerned or affected members of the great unwashed. They will rail about the cost of protecting the environment, but not the effect of pollution and environmental damage, since the former primarily affects capitalists, and the latter affects consumers.

Like the US government defending their freedoms, from a conservative point of view, business progress and corporate growth regrettably but necessarily has casualties, both human and environmental. (too bad, so sad)

(Message edited by Flanders_field on March 07, 2009)

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19251
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You assume that all (or most) religious people are conservative, and that the only issue of importance of concern to the religious is creationism...check your premises, they are wrong.

Classicyesfan
Username: Classicyesfan

Post Number: 626
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You assume that all (or most) religious people are conservative, and that the only issue of importance of concern to the religious is creationism...check your premises, they are wrong."

I have to agree with you. There are some decent leftist religious folk such as the Episcopalians, the Unitarians, and the "Reconciled in Christ" Lutherans. The Quakers would hardly subscribe to the right wing.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1776
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You assume that all (or most) religious people are conservative, and that the only issue of importance of concern to the religious is creationism...check your premises, they are wrong.

Check your eyes, I did not post any such words (all, most, only) that would support your conclusions. Considering that you are quite capable of intentionally misinterpreting what others post on this board, or will ignore them when confronted, this is not unexpected or unusual behavior, however.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19298
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, your word was "many". Your implication was "most", if not "all". I think you realize this, but feign ignorance as a weak argument.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 8632
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Flanders is intelligent enough to have used "most" if that was what was meant to be implied.

an lilpup, they are using data going back tens of thousands of years, which you would know had you ever dared read any of the items I linked to, or if you would dare do your own research instead of relying on stuff spewed out by the infamously anti-science Heartland group and its minions

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.