Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Paul Harvey dies « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 169
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love him or hate him, rest assured that there will never be another like him.

http://cbs4.com/national/paul. harvey.dies.2.947030.html

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2433
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad news, he died really of a broken heart after his wife Angel died last year.

i always liked listening to Paul Harvey, the way he crafted a tale and always laughed at how he made his commercials sound like they were part of the news. That's right, whenever I listen to Paul Harvey I make sure I'm drinking Maxwell House coffee because just like Teddy Roosevelt said, :It's good to the last drop."

His death is another page being turned, and all of us just took a step closer to the front of the line.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3748
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awww - I really liked him. My grandma loved listening to him. RIP Mr. Harvey.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4079
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It shows your age, when you like to listen to Paul Harvey. (This is Paul Harvey). RIP

Ronaldj
Username: Ronaldj

Post Number: 110
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and now, for the rest of the story...

Dfd
Username: Dfd

Post Number: 1003
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"showing your age" The other day I was listening to him on an AM oldies station....good day!

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 4553
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sad day; for another American Icon has left the microphone empty

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 2188
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up listening to Paul Harvey on the radio with my Pop at the controls of the radio during car rides. Harvey was the only one on WJR who really caught my attention. For years I would scan through radio stations listening for something I liked, when I heard that distinct voice of his, I stopped the search.

The Bose Wave Radio is bound to be discontinued now.

Im pouring a shot of tequilla on the floor.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6745
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul Harvey was definitely of a different era. I listened to him when I was a youngster and when my dad drove us to school on occasion. Paul Harvey's approach was unique and for those of us younger harkened back to a simpler age. News was delivered at regular intervals by trusted newsmen.

Nowadays news is accessible 24/7 via so many venues such as the internet, CNN, satellite radio, etc..

With his passing, a bit of our innocence and naivete passed with him.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 2189
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.facebook.com/ext/sh are.php?sid=58517546525&h=fk1p o&u=5WVVb

Haikoont
Username: Haikoont

Post Number: 130
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

His death is another page being turned, and all of us just took a step closer to the front of the line.

Well said Gnome. As the Rolling Stones sang, "What a drag it is getting old." I enjoyed listening to Paul when I was a kid, and at lunch when I worked construction after college. I guess I hoped he'd go on forever.

SNL just ended. Don Pardo is still the voice of that show. As someone who watched the original Not Ready for Prime Time Players, I'm pulling for Pardo to maintain immortality. And Ernie Harwell. Not too many distinctive voices left.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4094
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is Paul Harvey, Good Day.:-(

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 751
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just thought the same thing Bigb23. He gave us many "good days".

RIP

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9504
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul Harvey taught me that the elite of Rome likely went crazy because they had lead plumbing.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2437
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was great at pacing a story out, leading you along and waiting for the kicker. Some of his "rest of the Stories" were clinkers, but he was cranking those things out everyday...on top of doing a news roundup with live read commercials twice a day.

And that was when he was 85. Pretty remarkable.

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 19106
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe he lived a full and long 90 years....RIP

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6751
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh Cc... I believe Gnome was talking about a Paul Harvey broadcast WHEN he was 85, not any recent broadcast he made in case you thought that Gnome had made the assumption that he lived until the ripe old age of 85. And Paul Harvey did live to the age of 90.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 942
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In his latter years, Paul Harvey and his 'The Rest of the Story' was more 'cute' and 'quaint' than factual, informative and journalistic. I tired of his 'cuteness' and 'quaintness' years ago. The truth and facts in a story are almost always sacrificed for 'cute'.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6188
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haikoont... another voice to add to that list is Sonny Elliott.

And speaking of SNL... I wonder if Father Guido Sarducci's Cardinal Fungi (pronounced Foon-ghee) is still alive... he must be 117 by now! :-)

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1283
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All the neo-cons here should take notice of the liberal love on this thread.

Paul Harvey was a legend respected by all sides of the political spectrem. He was like the uncle or grandfather whose views were not always consistant with yours, but you had respect for him.

Today, the right has their horrible, hatefull new faces like Rush, Coulter, etc., who are more interested in sound bites, than actual infomation.

I would have enjoyed having Mr. Harvey as a neighbor. I could see myself sitting on a porch listening to his stories and views for hours, and then, in the end agree to disagree.

Conversly, I wouldn't want someone such as Limbaugh, Ann, or Sean as a neighbor. I could see them as the person on the block who always try forcing their warpped views on me, as well as bitching that I must be a environmental wako because my tree was dropping leaves onto their property.

RIP Paul Harvey.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 954
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 3:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will miss hearing him, eventhough it has been almost 10 years since I listened regularly.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2090
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My comment from the thread in the Detroit section:

Paul Harvey and his "folksy" style annoyed the hell out of me. I especially disliked his pitchman-hucksterism being injected into the middle of news segments. You thought he was telling you about a news item, then realized he was selling a product.

That said, RIP.

I should add that I did respect his news background and life experience. Just couldn't stand his delivery. Too damn farm-boy.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 966
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See my additional comments on the other Paul Harvey link here at DY.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19164
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He had a unique niche that likely can't be duplicated.

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 762
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"He had a unique niche that likely can't be duplicated."

Not by any of todays Conservative radio hosts, thats for sure.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19193
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct, he was old school.

But the new school is doing very well with its' own style.

Benfield
Username: Benfield

Post Number: 109
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Correct, he was old school.

I was unaware that the "old school" of journalism involved inventing stories and passing them off as actual events.

Paul Harvey was a little more than a very charming conman.

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 3461
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah , like that fakkir Mark Twain.

Benfield

Post Number: 110
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yeah , like that fakkir Mark Twain.

Ummm, are you simple? Mark Twain was a writer of fiction. Paul Harvey presented himself as a newsman. The difference really isn't that hard to understand.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7838
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ummmm, Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens) was a journalist and editor before he wrote fiction.

Benfield

Post Number: 111
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was Mark Twain's journalism revealed to be fraudulent?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7839
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not part of this disagreement, I like Mark Twain and enjoyed Paul Harvey's folksy style when I spent much time travelling in my car.

It was just a comfortable, familiar voice more than a source of news, and his hucksterism was a "quaint" remnant of old time radio.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19206
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who did he con?

Benfield

Post Number: 113
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone who listened to him thinking that the events he reported actually happened.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19231
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't a con require that someone surrenders something of value to the person making the con?

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 769
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"But the new school is doing very well with its' own style."

Funny what some consider "style", but then considering the source...

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19276
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look up the definition of style if you are confused Fern. I believe you will find my use of the word appropriate.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 673
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" Just couldn't stand his delivery. Too damn farm-boy."

Actually, thats spot-on. Very "farm boy". I catch myself talking oddly sometimes and realize I am imitating Paul Harvey.He did enunciate his words like a stereotypical ranch-hand.Thats what I liked about him. Not some pretty-boy jock trying to sound intelligent. And very distinctive.
I got my brother into listening to him after I started warping the word "bones" and making it sound like "Boh-inz" with emphasis on the z. I said "paul Harvey talks like that". Yes, he spoke oddly, but just enough to set him apart. And, I think that "country" style made him sound more human and approachable.
Now, wheres that Boh-z wave radio?

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19291
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He captured the attention of millions with his style and delivery.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1316
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least he never used blogs(i.e. Drudge) as a source for his news the way the current breed of right wingers do.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19328
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like I said, different styles, both good

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.