Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Oakland County Neighborhood Stabiliazation « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Claire
Username: Claire

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is anyone familiar with the Neighborhood Stabilization program to purchase foreclosed properties?

Stosh
Username: Stosh

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.oakgov.com/chi/asse ts/docs/NSP/newreleasensp2-09. pdf

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 495
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am sort of familiar with Wayne County's NSP program as the company I work for just submitted a proposal. Do you have a specific question, or do you just want to know how it works?

Claire

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, I am wondering how it works. My husband was recently unemployed and as a result we are within the income limits. It sounds like a wonderful program. We are looking to purchase a home.

My questions are how long does the process take? It is first come/first served. Do you think it will be a large number of applications?

This is new for oakland county I think. How long has Wayne County had it? Any info would be appreciated.

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 19061
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A horrible idea along the lines of what gave us this problem on a national level.

Blueidone

Post Number: 496
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Claire: The program has just begun. The first thing that has to happen is a developer goes in and buys up foreclosed homes. Then they have to be rehabilitated to meet certain standards. Then they will be available for sale or rent depending on the developer's plan.

They have to be sold or rented to lower income families...there is a set formula. If they are being sold, the buyers must have credit worthiness and demonstrate ability to pay.
The prices will be low and down payments will also be low.

Our company just submitted a proposal to purchase and rehab 20 homes in a suburb in Wayne County. If our proposal is accepted by April 15th, we are commited to having homes ready to sell by October.

I don't know how long Oakland County has had their program in place...but I do know that Wayne County just started, so I doubt that homes will be available anytime soon.

This program was part of the Stimulus Package. The thought is by buying up and rehabbing foreclosed homes, the property values will stabilize and so will the mortgage market.

Whatever department is listed on the Oakland County website would be the one to contact. In Wayne its the Community Development or something like that.

If you send your e-mail address to corneroffice2 at aol dot com, I will ask my boss next week how people go about applying for housing under the program.

Stosh

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I read, I think that the OC's program is only geared toward homeowners. That's good.

That's what stabilizes neighborhoods. Rentals, not so much.

Claire

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, I think so too

Blueidone

Post Number: 497
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They do prefer the homeownership side. But there are those people who cannot purchase home due to credit or down payment problems, and they need assistance too.

In the language of the program documents, stabilization means getting the vacant foreclosed homes rehabbed and occupied.

Stosh

Post Number: 68
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes that is the goal of the program. However, landlords are not the beneficiaries of this program.

There are plenty of provisions for low income people with no down payment. Credit problems I can't speak for.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19093
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is a "program" (meaning government involvement) needed? The best, and only hope is for a private solution. Public action will only worsen the problems.

Claire

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Public Auction??????????

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19120
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better....no reserve and privatized.

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 247
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Claire -
Sorry for the delay. I had to wait until today to access this information at work.

Oakland County Community and Home Improvement (oakgov.com/chi) held a community forum on Saturday and and overflow crowd of more than 400 attended the session.

Here is information on how the Oakland County Neighborhood Stabilization Program works:

You CAN Afford Your Own Home

Announcing
“There’s No Home Like My Own”
The Oakland County Home Buyer Program

Homebuyer assistance and home improvement services are available to help you purchase and improve a vacant foreclosed single family home or condominium in Oakland County. Through this program, your monthly mortgage costs could be less than what you now pay for rent.

With Oakland County’s assistance, even very low income families may be able to afford a home. Homebuyers with incomes at or below 120% of Area Median Income (AMI) are eligible for assistance. For example, a family of four earning up to $83,900 per year is eligible under this program. (See chart - below).

Oakland County can provide you with deferred no-interest loans for down payment assistance, closing costs, home improvements or other financing. The home must be purchased as your primary residence. You must prequalify for a fixed rate mortgage loan from a lending institution. This loan represents 51% of the purchase price. Oakland County will finance the remaining 49% of the purchase and rehabilitation costs up to $100,000. You must also provide $2,000 to initiate the purchase. Payment on the down payment and home improvement loans is deferred until the property changes ownership. You only have to pay on the conventional mortgage obtained from your lender. To put it simply, you’re making half the payments, or getting twice as much house for your money.

Oakland County is by your side through every step of the home buying process. Before you even begin the process, we’ll provide free homebuyer counseling before the purchase: figure out how much you can afford, know your rights, shop for a loan, learn about homebuying programs, shop for a home, make an offer, get a home inspection, shop for homeowners insurance, and sign papers.

You’ll have to negotiate a price on the foreclosed property. Foreclosed home purchases must be discounted 15% from the as-is appraised value. Oakland County will provide free property as-is and after rehabilitation appraisals.

If home improvements are required, the Oakland County Community & Home Improvement Division will coordinate the work for you. Oakland County will complete work specifications and cost estimates, bid the contract to the lowest responsible bidder, oversee the work and issue contractor payments. The home improvements will be completed, on average, within 120 days.

The 2009 Oakland County Home Ownership Drive covers properties in select Oakland County communities. For a complete list, check the website listed below or call Community & Home Improvement for details. Contact Farmington Hills, Pontiac, Royal Oak, Southfield, or Waterford directly to inquire about home buying assistance programs in their communities.

Funding for this program is provided by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s (HUD) Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP).
Call Oakland County Community & Home Improvement
(248) 858-1529 or visit the website at oakgov.com/chi
Equal Opportunity Programs/Activities

Department of Housing and Urban Development Income Categories
NEIGHBORHOOD STABILIZATION PROGRAM

Family Size 120% of Area Mean Income (AMI)

1 $58,700

2 $67,100

3 $75,500

4 $83,900

5 $90,600

6 $97,300

7 $104,000

8 $110,700

Good luck , Claire!

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19135
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look at the complexity....in a free market, the price is what the buyer is willing to payer, and the seller is willing to accept amongst the prospective buyers (competitive bids).

Claire

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you so much. My husband recently was laid off. His first unemployment check should come this week.

I have everything else completed and ready to turn in.

With the interest that great, I am anxious to get my application in. Should I submit without his unemployemnt check and just submit my check stubs?

Gingellgirl

Post Number: 248
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Claire, bring everything with you and let the housing counselor sort out what is best for you. They're here to work for you. Good luck!

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19156
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is mighty fast...recently laid off awaiting the first unemployment check and already in need of assistance for housing? Something else must have been going on leading up to this.

Gingellgirl

Post Number: 249
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everybody deserves a place to live in dignity, no matter what life throws at you.

Claire

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Gingellgirl.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19166
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deserves? As in a right? No Ma'am, it should not work like that.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.