Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Music - What are you listening to? » Archive through November 24, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5526
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Four Tops, of course.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1531
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a band from Fayetteville, Arkansas: 3 Penny Acre. Also Shannon Wurst (sings with 3 Penny Acre). You just gotta take a listen. Google them or go to MySpace. Going to see them play at our Theater on the Square tonight.

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 745
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Listened to a bunch more 4 Tops, now moved on to "Goat's Head Soup", a Stones album nobody seems to like.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 448
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a nobody! A sleeper-cell of vinyl there, Erikto. Of particular interest is the obvious obliteration of Keef's role in the band (in the throws of a horrifying heroin addiction), being relegated to second-fiddle status to some rather mediocre picking from Mick Taylor. Ahhh, Silver Train, Hide Your Love, etc. Again, we are taught to relish the beauty which was Billy Preston, and the talents provided from him, and of his role in the biz (yeah, the guy who saved the Beetles for one last time, in '69). So, with that said, it's a very good piece of work and one which the band - to this day - has collectively stated that Goat's Head maybe should have been a bit better. A very difficult piece of musical statement to put together. Pre-Ron Wood era stuff also, don't forget.

Later today I will be listening to the ... ummmm ... well, some friends (scoundrels). We throwing a little hoe down over in the neighborhood. And whenever you say "hoe down", heh heh, all the men get nervous.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14666
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't know you KNEW the ex-mayor, Ggores!

Ggores

Post Number: 450
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huh? Oh, ok, I think I get it. Yeah, I gets around. Heh heh. My son made for me a Wesley Willis comp CD - which is great! We spent the morning reading the wiki entry on Wesley, and it is hilarious as ... hilarious gets. Made my eyes tear up. Sheesh. Whadda life. And now, over to the jam session for some heavy funk. Rock over London, Rock on Detroit, Happy's Pizza rocks the air waves.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3812
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =ZThquH5t0ow&feature=related

The Trashmen - Surfin' Bird (1963)

One of the only rock songs I LOVE! :-)

"BA-BA-BA BIRD, BIRD, BIRD! THE BIRD IS THE WORD!"

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14681
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, obscure Ho tie-in. They shake in their shoes every time they hear the term, too, just thought there might be some association.

Today? It may have to be chamber and other orchestra, it is already taking off as a hectic day, and those're the only way for me to keep my nerves calm!

Starting with Vivaldi's The Four Seasons, unless Craggy has something compelling on DetroitTODAY!

Cheers

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 369
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerry Butler.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 370
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick Watson, Close To Paradise. Found it in a freebie bin from Borders. No liner notes. It's quite a nice album. Never heard of him before or since.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4771
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 6:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend sent me this cheesy H-ween themed video:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v= JqsRFKe3YMA

Ggores

Post Number: 456
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Live At Leeds" Ladies and gentlemen... The Who.

The setlist, in no order whatsoever (except for the opener) was this:

- I Can't Explain
- Who Are You
- Sister Disco
- 5:15
- Love, Reign O'er Me
- Sparks
- Overture
- See Me, Feel Me
- Won't Get Fooled Again
- Magic Bus
- Amazing Journey
- Getting In Tune
- Tattoo
- Baba O' Reily
- Eminence Front
- Pinball Wizard (Townshend forgot to change guitars and so they had to do a restart, to the uproaring amusement of all!)
- My Generation
- Behind Blue Eyes

There are at least four songs I am forgetting, and at least three which were newer one's which I did not recognize - but good nonetheless.

The final encore was Pete and Roger doing a duet, by themselve's, before making their exit from the stage, and graciously thanking the crowd of 11,000.

It was an awesome performance. They could have easily played until three in the morning. The kids were really going nuts by the end.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5541
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patty Griffin - Live from the Artists Den

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6694
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YOUR MIND IS

YOUR MIND IS

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6695
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Margo Guryan's videos are suddenly vanishing from YouTube. Watch those remaining while you still can:

Margo Guryan/"16 Words"

16 Words

Margo Guryan

Margo Guryan- Love songs

(Message edited by Jimaz on October 23, 2008)

Ggores

Post Number: 457
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sweet. thank ya.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 405
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sister Rosetta Tharpe Check here out on youtube. I'll take her over Beyonce any day

Pam

Post Number: 4789
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kirsty MacColl-From Croyden to Cuba

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 108
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Beatles Revolver,Rubber Soul...Timeless

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5574
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ryan Adams and the Cardinals - Live at the Bank of America Pavilion

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5579
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Driving to work yesterday morning, listening to Little Steven's Underground Garage, I heard a great song. The DJ said this is the Howlies and this song is available as a free download on their site. So I called Mr. 'Dette, he downloaded it, and it's (imho) a cracking poprock tune. "Chimera".

http://howlies.com/

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 750
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings' show in Toronto last Wednesday. Loud crowd, boomy room, but this was a great night out. I just wish she'd resume performing some of the cuts off "Naturally" that have been dropped from the set the last 2 times I've seen 'em... nice instrumental encore of "It's A Shame"...

Pam

Post Number: 4872
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Herman's Hermits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =gnBeRt0Y7KM

and the Who:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =pdG8JG8EO3U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =ZOIqiVnYq4o

Pam

Post Number: 4875
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dusty Springfield.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =HtrNUb17NLU

One of the RS greatest 100 singers of all time!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9237
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For Friday ending a rough week:

George Jones & Willie Nelson - "I Gotta Get Drunk"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =HKD_o4gbcSE

Applesauce
Username: Applesauce

Post Number: 202
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeff Beck - Guitar Shop

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10539
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul Anka - 50th Anniversary, Songs My Way

He has redone may newer music to the tune of big band. Absolutely fantastic!

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 606
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tony Carey
I wont be home tonight
Why me
a fine fine day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =dhSZAhepf1w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =lfttQrCGtyw

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 9334
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sinatra

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2919
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 4:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy shit, Smogboy! Another thing about which we agree.
"A Swingin' Affair" was a recent visitor to the
CD player in the car.