Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Music - What are you listening to? » Archive through October 17, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 292
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John Klemmer.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 293
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you J. I'm getting Curtis Mayfield out as we speak. Doesn't get much better or more inspirational than Mayfield and/or The Impressions. I cried when he left us. The thought of no more music from Mayfield was too much to bear.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 698
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Universal Temple of Divine Power, I saw them open for the Supersuckers last night, and they ROCK. Check them out!
http://profile.myspace.com/ind ex.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewpro file&friendid=40909669

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 308
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 2:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Who Sell Out.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 428
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While making Coney's on the griddle, I slapped in a Lennon comp CD I made about ten years ago. Is it just coincidence, or is today the scruffy wrangler's birthday? Say what 'cha want, the cat could play a good guitar!

1. I'm Losing You
2. I Saw Her Standing There
3. You Can't Do That
4. Watching The Wheels
5. Instant Karma
6. Real Love
7. Jealous Kind Of Guy
8. Nobody Ever Told Me (There'd Be Day's Like these)
9. Whatever Get's You Through The Night
10. Starting Over (New Beginning)
11. I Am The Walrus (acid tape version, no guitars or background effects)
12. Twist And Shout (Original stereo mix, and the reason he wud born, in my opinion)

Twist and shout indeed.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 315
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IMAGINE! Yesterday was Lennon's birthday. John Lennon was memorialized at the 1st annual, Veterans for Peace, Peace Scholarship Fund, fundraiser at the Corner Brewery in Ypsilanti. Lot's of people came out and lot's of people played their versions of Lennon's tunes. Yoko sent a check for $10,000.00. A huge musical, cultural, financial and anti-war success. IMAGINE!

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 329
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Betty Carter - 'Droppin' Things'.

Mashugruskie
Username: Mashugruskie

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emiliana Torrini - "Gun"
Gargoyle Sox "Ghost Ship"...old Detroit friends, so...
Joni Mitchell "Travelogue"
Kate Bush "Ariel"

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 343
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kate Bush sounds good. I think I'll get one of her 'oldies' out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 9029
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was trying to listen to Darren Revell and his Big Sonic Heaven show based out of LA but for some reason, Indie 103.1 isn't doing their webcast tonight. GRRR!

Instead I've got the iTunes on shuffle mode and listening to some old school Afrika Bambaata & Johnny Lydon right now.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1177
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chante Moore, who sounds very like Diana Ross. Also, Buddy Guy, Weekend Players, Cafe Del Mar, Norman Brown, Beenie Man (dancehall) and Yellowjackets. Admittedly eclectic.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10440
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

54-40 - New album "Northern Soul".

Englebert Humperdink - various

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 743
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary Poppins--Julie Andrews.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14487
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The entire Frampton Comes Alive LP that I just bought at the Record Graveyard in Hamtramck yesterday...laughing at how they used to put sides one and four then two and three on the flipsides for the oldtime record album stacker/changers!

Next up? Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, because JohnLodge reminded me how much I LOVE that piece of brilliance...and all this Garwood Mansion bohemian talk has me wishing I hadn't missed the LSD generation!

(or is it DEgeneration?...I always get those two confused...)

Gannon

Post Number: 14488
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

btw, THANKS for yielding your copy D. Rauen, whoever you are, it is always curiously cool to see someone's personal tag on their old records.

I hope you keep your CDs and DVDs cleaner than your records...

Ggores

Post Number: 445
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1) Who was it played keyboards on Frampton Comes Alive? I always forget.

2) The Universal Temple of Divine Power ARE excellent. (and pre-order your Supersuckers "Get It Together" CD).

3) At the watering hole, a while back, went to play "Write Me" from Aerosmith's 1st album (a blueprint methinks for any aspiring guitarist) and, oddly, the song was not available from the album selection. Why? I do not know. Anyways...

I am listening to "Staring At The Sea - The Singles". And when I get paid at the stroke of midnight tonight, I am going to order the accompanying VHS (oddly it is NOT available anywhere I searched the web on DVD). Fun, fun stuff, that early, pre-Industrial, Detroit sound.

Why is this thread in the "Non-Detroit" area? Know what I mean? Far as I'm concerned, this topic is the farthest thing away from a "Non-Detroit" topic.

Next up on the Ore's household jukebox? Ummmmmm... "Live At Leeds" maybe. Or "Tattoo You". I dunno. It'll be sumpin' though. Sure as hell won't be a debate between a couple of knuckleheads.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5709
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Al Stewart's Year of the Cat (live version). The live Youtube version is awesome...way better than the studio version.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 350
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw Peter Frampton live at the old EMU stadium in the early 70's. It was an absolutely beautiful day and a packed house. A storm came through accompanied by tornados, the stage was blown over and the crowd fled. I can't seem to remember if I returned after the storm passed through.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4761
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 5:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why is this thread in the "Non-Detroit" area? Know what I mean?

Because it is not about the city of Detroit.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4766
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roger Miller:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v= Iq_sRguD454

Kirsty MacColl:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v= D6a_3sIdDXE

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v= 4ZHAf9RhYNI

Gannon

Post Number: 14536
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heavy vinyl pressing of Simon & Garfunkel's Bridge Over Troubled Water LP...

...which I totally forgot I had.

I just got some lyrics to one of their songs in my head, took a peek in the rack (which isn't that large) and lo! there it was.

Ah-h-h-h...

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5516
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Recently departed (from the area, not from this mortal coil) local musician Tim Pak. I really love this CD.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2829
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My ESP informs me that Gannon had lyrics from "Cecilia" stuck in his head. Perfectly understandable; great song.
Wouldn't mind hearing "Baby Driver" right now, either, smatterafact.
Oldredfordette, as your attorney, I urge you to pull out the appropriately autumnal "Bare Trees" and listen to it in my behalf, thank ye.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5518
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As ordered.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2834
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet! Thanks.
I looked up that LP-- which I do not own (I listened to big bro's copy)-- and I am surprised to find that, other than the title chune and Welch's disturbingly-drippy "Sentimental Lady," I can't say that I really remember much of the rest.
But, "Bare Trees," alone, is worth the trouble, especially the ending, with the chant and the spray of ringing guitars...

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6664
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't get this out of my head. I'd like to hear it as an Obama victory song but I doubt it will be selected for that.

A Fistful of Dynamite

A Fistful of Dynamite

Gannon

Post Number: 14555
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, it was "Keep the Customer Satisfied"...but after being surprised that I even OWNED this album again (I only recently went on a buying binge to get all of my old favorites now that I've rediscovered the total joy of listening to analog music), every tonal morsel was savored.

I forgot how calming the melodies of both "Bridge Over Troubled Water", "El Condor Pasa" and "So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright" were...and that is only side ONE! And reviving one of my absolute all-time favorites, "The Only Living Boy in New York"...at the end of the flipside.

Weird thing, though. I cannot remember the last time I'd heard this album. Listened to it through, and even replayed Keep the Customer and Frank Lloyd Wright for good measure.

Then while setting up the system for my Open Mic at the Cafe 1923 less than an hour later...from Shannon's iTunes rotation of background music...

...I almost jumped out of my skin...flowed "The Only Living Boy in New York". Tickled by universal co-incidence yet again.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6665
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A modest attempt to repair a previously broken link:

Toto -- Take My Hand

Toto -- Take My Hand

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 742
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't been around (or on-line) in a long time- I've been getting around though, to the Rockies and to London, for a t.v. show. Crazy times... so I am back on-line for a couple of hours today, and am sad to learn the wonderful soul singer and 4 Tops lead Levi Stubbs has passed away today. I am playing the 4 Tops hits c.d. for the second time, I really loved these guys when I was a little kid.
R.I.P. Levi

Ggores

Post Number: 447
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... Electric Frankenstein+SSuckers - "Splitsville", and speaking of.... yeah, Levi was a good one, no doubt about that.