Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Just a place to rant....or ..rave.......... « Previous Next »
Archive through October 29, 2008Bearinabox30 10-29-08  12:26 pm
Archive through December 18, 2008Mashugruskie30 12-18-08  7:47 pm
Archive through December 30, 2008Eriedearie30 12-30-08  9:19 am
Archive through January 10, 2009Lodgedodger30 01-10-09  10:52 pm
Archive through January 31, 2009Bigb2330 01-31-09  5:20 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Lnfant
Username: Lnfant

Post Number: 179
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rant: you are in the form of an imaginary friend

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3627
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 5:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5628
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big, happy B'day. Mine's next Sunday

Rant: I'll be older in a week. I would be anyway, but a birthday makes it seem worse

Bigb23

Post Number: 3628
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that they'll be super party's in my honor today.
I hope everybody has a good time. :-)

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5629
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We'll all celebrate in your honor today.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3631
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank god for Hoover !

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 18448
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You said it BigB, not me...hang up on dial up and leap into the 21st century to lessen your troubles.

Lnfant

Post Number: 181
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh look, a puppy! wimper punky snooper snuf– crazy hoopy wonk

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4949
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a rant and a rave! It's the dance sensation that is sweeping the nation- the Christian Bale Freak Out Remix! Warning- not safe for work or around those shocked by swear words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =YTihsJQHt48

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 669
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rant....The idiot that delivers our paper never gets it anywhere near the porch. My mother who is 89, left the porch to find the paper. It was in some shrubs. She fell trying to retreive it and couldn't get up. Poor thing was out there in her bathrobe. She got really shook up. I tell her, let me fetch it but she is very independent.

Naturally, I called and complained. The operator was very sympathatic. I did tell her though that next time he misses the porch I'll catch him the next day and he will be driving home with the paper up his ass. I meant it too.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3660
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'll catch him the next day and he will be driving home with the paper up his ass. I meant it too.

That's "home" delivery alright !

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6506
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Public service announcement:

For people who have trouble getting to their roadside mailbox in the winter, the Post Office is willing to deliver to a seasonal mailbox at the door of the house.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9334
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mailbox is already there, because I roll old-school.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3670
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rant - Does anybody notice how your grocery purchases have changed ? The prices have jumped exponentially the last few years, the contents are smaller, ingredients lower quality, and mostly watered down.
Remember when you scooped cottage cheese like ice cream, and it stayed that way on a plate ? Now it's nothing but soup. About 30% of my items are like this now.

Are we stuck with this ?

Lnfant

Post Number: 183
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rave: local organic farmers

rant: American has institutionalized and brainwashed its people that they food they buy packaged in grocery stores is nutritional. The government supports this and imbecile scientists have done bad science to let them.

Lnfant

Post Number: 184
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

note to bigb23: this isn't directed at you. it was in response to the whole sore subject.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3678
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lnfant - I've targeted local producers for some time now. Why buy stuff that's flown ? on 747's from 3000 miles away ? I'll wait for in season local stuff. Makes it better, while you wait.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 18575
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lnfant, you realize that the "Organic" food industry is a huge scam without one shred of evidence that the quality is superior (or even as good as) mainstream products that costs less than half as much, don't you?

Bigb23

Post Number: 3693
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's try the Organic food industry for awhile.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2208
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One should consider eating food from his or her region. If the food is from your region it is filled with antibodies that are generally good for digestive health, and for fighting illness.

Correct? I don't know. I got that line from a doctor and some health minded friends. Maybe their all part of that "evil system". Who really knows?

Hehe

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 590
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rave

Check out the sky tonight, just go out and look up. The clouds are racing across the sky, like a dream and yet there really is no wind. So cool, it's stuff like this that makes me smile.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2212
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rant

I now walk several stories up various buildings and parking garages Downtown, have been walking a couple miles more everyday, started a diet, and recently started working out 30 minutes everyday, and yet I still managed to gain five pounds this week.

Grrrrr....

Ccbatson

Post Number: 18588
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try whatever you like BigB. It is your money, and your choice. Personally, i will keep the roughly 150% premium.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3721
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where would anybody follow your lead, Cc ?

Ccbatson

Post Number: 18593
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where? Mainstream products cost less than organics...try your local grocer.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3726
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mainstream = Chile .Thanks for your local support Cc.

Wherever you are.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3734
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just got my new Drivers License, I look more like Frankenstein than Boris Karloff. :-(

Excuse me, that was a Rant.

(Message edited by Bigb23 on February 08, 2009)

Bigb23

Post Number: 3739
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just watched "Zodiac" on DVD.

Rant - why is it easier to "re-create" a 1960's newsroom than to just run one ? I'm at a loss.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Rant - why is it easier to "re-create" a 1960's newsroom than to just run one ? I'm at a loss.

Because people will pay for one and not the other?

Bigb23

Post Number: 3859
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate the Sunday morning preachers, and the worst is "Woody Martin", who sells an "Anti" witchcraft/black spirit oil on TV. Can't these people go away ?

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3320
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a "CH" button on your remote and generally a "+" and "-". Hit that a few times...either direction. Or better yet, throw the TV out.

Jimaz

Post Number: 6583
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't want to start a new thread just for this. I'll put it here and call it a rave about how sometimes fate can work out for the better.

It's one of those stupid criminal stories -- not about Detroit -- quoted in its entirity.

From today's Free Press: Burglary victim drives off in thieves' van.
quote:

BELLEVUE, Washington— A man in Washington state made sure a pair of burglars did not get away with his three flat-screen televisions — he moved their getaway car.

Patrick Rosario was in the basement of his Bellevue home on Tuesday when he heard the burglars upstairs.

The Seattle Times says the 32-year-old Rosario, who had been laid off from his job as a Washington Mutual bank manager, called police while he sneaked out of the house.

He saw a white van sitting in front of his house with the motor running and the keys in the ignition, and he got in and drove it to a friend's house.

Police say the burglars left the televisions, a laptop computer and a jewelry box by the door and took off on foot.

The sheriff's office said no arrests had been made.

LOL! Imagine their surprise. Does he get to keep the van?

Ccbatson

Post Number: 18801
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that is a great rant.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 18802
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops, make that rave...I was just kidding.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1952
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is an awesome story Jimaz. I hope he keeps the van. He should have pulled a Falling Down on them: Come back and get the briefcase!!! :-)

Ccbatson

Post Number: 18808
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess, strictly speaking that he "stole" the van...do you think they will press charges?

Classicyesfan
Username: Classicyesfan

Post Number: 508
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...do you think they will press charges?"

Depends who "they" is, are they cons (good) or libs (bad)? I've heard from self-appointed judges of all things that "Cons will be good-dooders and libs will be evil-dooders."

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Succinct answer Classicyesfan.

Bigb23

Post Number: 4030
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just when things look bad, you get an uplifting message from Nigeria. Thank you, internet cafe scammer.

Hello, this e-mail is an answer to your on-line resume.

We would like to offer you the vacancy from ElectrumX.
Our company is one of the world's top official e-currency exchange services.

During the hard time of world crisis we are glad to offer you
a good opportunity to increase your income.

Because of the expansion of our operations we require new employees
and we would like to consider this position of Regional Representative
of the company exactly to you. During the probation period you could earn
up to $2000 per month. After it you could earn up to $5 000 per month!

We would like to mention that it is a part-time job for the probation period!

And you must admit that it's a good payment for a part time job.
No fees involved, you are just to follow all our instractions.

If you are interested in our offer, please send your contact information to:

hrmanager.electrum@gmail.com

this is an e-mail of our human resource advisor.

Thank you for your time.
Hope you ll find this offer interesting.

Thank You,
ELX HR manager

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 746
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rave: Who knew Google Documents was so cool? :-)

Bigb23

Post Number: 4098
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rant:

I was in Kroger's yesterday, and Tomato's were $1.00 apiece !

I guess I'm in the wrong business, if I had a job.:-(

Jimaz

Post Number: 6711
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Tomato's were $1.00 apiece !

They're pretty easy to grow yourself, BTW.

Lnfant

Post Number: 185
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

snow day! (rant and rave)

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 754
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rant: When you stage a (work) intervention, make sure all the interveners will go through with it...

Jimaz

Post Number: 6739
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rant: Package designers making packages more and more difficult to open.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3775
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^Yes^^ and not only that, how about all the packaging for one little item!

Pam

Post Number: 5087
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did everyone get outside and enjoy the nice day today? Especially all the people on here who like to complain about Michigan's climate?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9566
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geez Pam. Not everybody lost their job yet.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 2260
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK I wanted to say, believe it or not I interviewed for a better position and I got the job. Today is my last day at this position and I start Monday at the new job, within the same entity. I know it sounds strange in this environment. My husband has been out of work since December of 2007 after 23 years. And hey, I gave a speech on Tuesday to a group I am in about "Wage and Compensation".
Anyways, out there to OldRedfordette and Eriedearie and others....I am probably going to be busier and might not get to post. OH and don't get too excited, the position is great, wage increase I am sure in Detroit terms is not that great. But where I work the name of the game is benefits. Bless all of you and remember, spring is coming.

Jimaz

Post Number: 6755
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Freaky weather. This morning The Weather Channel was forcasting a high of 52°F but this afternoon it rose to 65°F. At that time their forcast was for 60°F. The temperature was rising faster than they could correct their forcast!

I've seen several motorcycles go by already. :-)

Pam

Post Number: 5088
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Geez Pam. Not everybody lost their job yet.

Some people are allowed breaks.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9570
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slackers.

Pam

Post Number: 5089
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Slackers.

Have you joined CC's cult?

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5952
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carol! Great news. Post when you can.

I worked without stopping all day today, and nearly fell over when I walked outside at 6. What a glorious feeling.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3786
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulation Carol! Good luck with your new position. Onward and upward!

Just check in every now and again and let us know how it's going.

Bigb23

Post Number: 4324
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ron Woods of the Stones/Faces, has a twenty year old girlfriend ?

There's a Viagra endorsement there someplace.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19713
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats Carol...didn't I predict a good outcome whenever there is talent coupled to ambition?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.