Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Where are all the Denby Tars? « Previous Next »
Where are all the Denby Tars? - ArchivesGoblue1646 51 08-17-08  11:14 pm
Archive through August 31, 2008Eastside6130 08-31-08  10:59 pm
Archive through September 17, 2008Eastside6130 09-17-08  1:00 am
Archive through September 30, 2008Eastside6130 09-30-08  6:35 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1453
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, KR: All the years spent in the Haight-Ashbury culture have caused ES to lose track of reality and forget his roots. Somewhere deep inside he’s still a Wings fan, but it could require many years with a good shrink to bring it back to the surface.

ES: The SJ Sharks? I’ll have to check the St. Jude thread. I didn’t know they had a hockey team.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1086
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: St. Jude (SJ) was actually the Jets. The irony, Jets vs Sharks.
Do they have good shrinks in the Haight-Ashbury-SJ area? I understand their undertone of good psychiatry is "turn on, tune in, and drop the puck dude"

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 2221
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yo: and watch out for Hockey Moms !!!!!!

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1456
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Are you saying the St. Jude Jets moved to San Jose and became the Sharks after the school closed? That might make sense for a cheap outfit like the Sharks. The executives wouldn’t have to change the monogram on their shirt collars. It might also explain ES’s fascination with JC’s medallion. He probably thinks it’s the SJ equivalent of the Stanley Cup.

Eastside61

Post Number: 2227
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: When they remake Westside Story .... which is not easy to type as an Eastsider ... It will be in San Jose .... so that the SJS Jets uniforms and the current SJ Sharks practice jerseys will be used ...
Either Zitface or 7theClown will be trying out for the part of Maria ...so that medallion that GB stole from JC can be worn again .... Hope you can make opening night !!!!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Just a little Detroit north east side history........Like San Jose St. Jude School never had a hockey team.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 173
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spring break, 1967. Got a ride to Ft Lauderdale with a buddy's uncle. Plan was to party, then thumb a ride home together. Must have been twenty guys for every girl. Met some girls from Denby. My response: "we didn't come down here to meet local girls!" Really a dumb thing to say. Arguments continued, and we split up. I made it home safe, thanks to a truck driver headed for the Rouge Plant. My buddy ended up arrested for vagrancy in southern Ohio on his way home. They had him cleaning restrooms at a park, then let him go. Things were never the same, and we never hung out again. I guess the Denby girls had more fun than we did....

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1273
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does Denby still have a swim team? Does the pool still have the divider with the sliding wall?

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 562
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Weren't girls on one side & boys on the other?

I learned to swim there when I was 7 or 8. Rode my bike from Eastburn to Denby. Imagine a 7 year old doing that today.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2457
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to hear that they made the kids swim naked, I can just see that happening today.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 563
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, If I recall correctly (some doubt there) that's what we did.

Didn't think anything of it, really.

Zitro

Post Number: 2459
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Did you ever have to do the rub test on the kids before they went in the pool at Heilman? I think the two areas they would check were the bend of your elbow and the area around your collarbone. When you'd get in a hurry and jumped in the shower these were the two areas to concentrate on to make sure dirt wouldn't rub off. In retrospect what they more than likely were rubbing off was dead skin, the mean guys would know they could always rub something off and send you back to the showers.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 287
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

before i graduated denby in 75, they did make some swim naked - usually those who didn't have swim suits. i was on the swim team, so i never worried about it. thought it was kind of wierd then, but no one really questioned it. always wondered what would happen if one of the women's swim teachers/coaches would ever come through that door. not to be sick, but wonder if they made the girls swim naked. don't think so.

Zitro

Post Number: 2460
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Must have been tough to jump off the high dive

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 288
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

z, i remember the rub test - wow, never thought of that for all these years. that chlorine in the pool could kill off anything - remember going in with a slight case of poison ivy on a saturday triple shift, and when i came out, it was all gone.

Zitro

Post Number: 2461
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't doubt that, they really poured the chlorine in there, I remember my eyes burning for hours after swimming. I'm sure it wasn't a pre-measured amount based on the ph levels like it is today.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1726
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And they say the Catholic Church was ignorant of potential sexual abuse! Rub tests...naked swimming? Holy crap!

Denbytar64
Username: Denbytar64

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Denby football team use to swim in the pool after practices in the summer. Some people brought bathing suits, and some did not. Denby Football 1975 was the best season, albiet a crummy coach.

Zitro

Post Number: 2464
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was Parmetier gone by then?

Denbytar64

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes he was. It was bernier I was referring to. Now Coach Duff was much better, but coached the JV for some odd reason

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1274
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: we did the "rub test" on the inside surface of the wrist...just like they did to me when I was a young one....(see how that activity is passed down)). I think collectively the life guards got real lax at Heilmann...Laing is right, there was enough chlorine in that pool that you could do laundry. At Denby, the rub test (when I worked contingent during the off season) was non-existent. Denby guards, way back in the day, however, had some interesting ways to see if a kid met the age requirement for teen swim if you catch my drift (and yes Z, that was before my tenure as a life guard). For the record, my interests were more of keeping the swimmers from harm and providing a safe enviornment.

(Message edited by kellyroad on December 03, 2008)

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1275
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roger P also overlooked the pool even during his tenure as football coach. He was there in 63 when I took swimming lessons and later on in the early 70s during the life guard tenure.

Eastside61

Post Number: 2214
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome all Tars to the Sharks v. wings game in San Jose on 1/17 ... A significant battle for sure .... let me know if you need tickets .... and two tables will be held at the Poor House Bistro for all the pre game activities.....

Denbytar64

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside, a former Tar (75 Golf Team) is a teaching pro in San Jose. He goes to all the Sharks games. You two should hook up.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1424
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tar64... ES got mixed up with a Denby golfer once. Ask him to tell you about it.

Eastside61

Post Number: 2215
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: I ran into the Tar Golfer you mention the other day and he is now involved in a startup company writing resumes for former catholic eastside students. He is talking about relocating in Iowa with SR or SJ but not V.......

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1425
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Lord knows such a resume writing service is sorely needed. With his flair for embellishment, enhancement and exaggeration the old Tar should do well.

Eastside61

Post Number: 2220
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually God had a talk with the Tar Golfer recently ... They might be doing a joint venture in opening up Powell's once again ... or a Prom Limo service using Valiants .... not sure....

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1428
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't recall ever seeing any Valiants at the Woodward Dream Cruise. Do you think the old Tar has cornered the market for his limo service?

Eastside61

Post Number: 2222
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not sure that one can make a go of it with one Valiant duct taped together ...

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1429
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who told him about duct tape? He used to use Scotch tape, but the parts kept falling off. He bought all the Valiants he could find to supply his spare parts needs.

Eastside61

Post Number: 2217
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see there is a retired school superintendent who is selling Nash Ramblers with a 20 min or 20 mile warranty ... what ever happens first.... His add states he has Detroit roots....

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1430
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I might be interested if they were American Motors Ramblers, but Nash are too old.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 4484
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

one last footnote on the "great wall" we were one of the last years to have the option (I believe) since the wall couldn't close tight and rather embarrassing moments as we had to walk to get our suits on the far side...

when playing water dodge ball ( literally )...I preferred suits...could you imagine swimming sans trunks in today's schools..

and lets just say the cannon balls were safer than diving... :-)

Eastside61

Post Number: 2218
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is with great sadness that Tom Tuschak (Denby 61) died of a heart attack on 1/23 in Sarasota, FL. A True TAR who will be missed... a true friend ...

Isle_of_fun
Username: Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 192
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside61 hi U stated in another thread that your parents were married at the GW ,
can U Email me at afunisle at yahoo dot com
thanks

Guyton
Username: Guyton

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Dee Wibby-he lived on Ashland-I lived on Manistique-he would walk on the frozen canal every year to make sure it was safe-if it could hold Dee---we knew it was solid.

Flip
Username: Flip

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DEE Wibby, Although i never knew Dee, his Reputation was big as a Denby Tars Star player !

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.