Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Paradise Lost - Lakeside Trailer Park and Marine Hospital « Previous Next »
Paradise Lost - Lakeside Trailer Park and Marine Hospital - 2Ron_saad209 03-31-09  4:10 pm
US Marine Hospital in DetroitBrenda135 03-28-09  7:00 am
Paradise Lost - Lakeside Trailer Park and Marine Hospital - 1Cgoodger103 03-27-09  9:45 pm
Archive through February 06, 2008Eaglelv175 02-06-08  9:06 pm
  Start New Thread        

This topic is dedicated to gathering memories of Lakeside Trailer Court and its surrounds of the Marine Hostpital, Windmill Pointe Lighthouse, Harbor Island, and Alfred Brush and Ford Park.
Top of pageBottom of page

Hotwired
Username: Hotwired

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure if you all heard but Tommy's burned up a few months ago.

Ron_saad
Username: Ron_saad

Post Number: 119
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Worked there for 5 years

Ron_saad

Post Number: 120
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 95
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just came across that picture above, thats sooo sad, I have many memories of going there as a kid to the ice cream shop and the party store next door, I remember watching them tear down the old hospital. And I remember when people did not drive on the grass to the railing at the river park, you used to actually park at the curb and walk, imagine that.

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Hi folks, Me and Mrs. D are actually on the cusp of purchasing a home on Harbor Island, the home dates from 1926, and has a boathouse exactly shaped for those old wood Cris crafts and such. The home also has a very deep basement, very unusual for the area and location. Now in reading this mega-thread, I have heard very little mention of H.I., except as a reference point. Does anyone have any detailed memories of H.I., it would really help us in understanding its place in the whole scheme of things. And I must comment on this thread, now that it has explained everything else about the condition of things. Anyway, Our best regards to everyone in the thread, and condolences on the way things are, but on the bright side, if more and more people move back in, It could mean a whole new generation of memories. By the way, I grew up in the 7+ Gratiot thread, the only thing I remember about the Alter area was jumping Ashland Hill, (what a trip).

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1162
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 2:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Living: Good for you......My parents and other relatives grew up on marlborough, lakewood and chalmers.......and the HI move is bold and I just hope that others do follow.....

In other news GO BLUE and I along with a whole group of others want to put together a book about growing up on the eastside....what era were your 7 gratiot experiences and where did you go to HS???? check out some the Denby and where are the TARS threads.....

ES61 - Survivor of the Ashland Bump!

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too am sad to see Tommy's burned. What will come of it?

Kath - another Ashland Bump survivor.

Eastside_cat
Username: Eastside_cat

Post Number: 30
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Living_in_the_d
Congrats on the pending purchase of the home on Harbor Is. I hope you and the Mrs are able to live quitely and happily, still lots of nice homes in that pocket of the Eastside, when I was a kid I spend many a morning or lazy afternoon at the foot of Harbor Is fishing on the canal, lost lots of tackle on the bottom. I also used to carry my 14' rowboat to the bridge there from 247 Chalmers then go back and get the 8hp engine and gas tank, from there I would cruise over to Tommys and gas her up then go play chicken with the freighters or explore up the canal in the middle of pesche Is. When I saw that picture of Tommys burned out all I could do is stare and have all those memories flash in my minds eye, what a sad end. I remember buying bait there and seeing all the old timers dressed in their plaid shirts and suspenders sitting outside shooting the breeze over a cold Beer. There were also years worth of pictures on the wall inside Tommys of the ones that didn't get away.

To Ron Saad, my heart felt condolences...I know you spent a few years of your life there after you got out of the service and made many friends along the way, its really not the way we all thought things would turn out.

Brenda
Username: Brenda

Post Number: 81
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EaglelV: Senior Chief...KK was a power hungry, nefarious, pompous until he got caught...

That is so sad about Tommy's and the "Paradise Lost"...where these threads all began to remember the good of Detroit from our youth.

In spite of the news we hear on the downfall of historic sites, we must keep them in our memories and pass them on to our children. This thread is a wonderful medium to tell future people of when Detroit shined!

Ron_saad

Post Number: 121
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked their when I was 11 through 16 and lived at the house next door after I got out of the army.
What is your name Eastside Cat?

Eastside_cat

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brenda
How’s it going? long time no chat, yeah that picture of Tommy’s all burned up was a real bummer but you are correct in stating that these memories are alive and well in us all and should serve to keep the thread going.

Ron I'm EAGLELV from earlier posts and remembered you had mentioned your time down at Tommy’s so thought it appropriate to make those comments. I'm sure that picture hit home with you.
Best regards to you both...

Hotwired

Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all,
I am new to the site and posted the "Tommy's" pic.
I am only 48 yrs. old and have been coming down to this area since the mid 80's when I started renting boats at Fisherman's Marina and fishing with my uncle who kept his 22ft Chris Craft in a well on Klenk Island.
I now own my own 16ft and keep it at Gus's at the foot of Scripps and Manistique.
I love coming down and talking with all the old River Rats who still come down every morning and BS at the closed party store at Tommy's.
My dad turned 82 last month and grew up on Marlborough. His name was Marty Kratt.

Eastside_cat

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Hotwired
Glad you've been able to enjoy canal-land and its surroundings. I grew up on Chalmers during the mid 60's to early 80s attending Guyton and know that neighborhood like a well worn pair of Levi's. Thanks for the Pic of Tommy’s even though it was a sad sight. Your dad would probably enjoy this site even if most of the posts are of a later date there is a lot of history here and he most certainly lived in the neighborhood during its glory days. My old neighbors on Chalmers the Horman family who lived on the alley side of Marlborough built their "cottage" during the 30's and didn't move out until the late 80's. Take care and welcome to the Thread.

Ron_saad

Post Number: 122
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome
I should come down there from Flint some time. I lived on almost every street down there.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1206
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ECat: Did you know the George Wood or Steven Ligosky families on Chalmers???? they lived on the Lakewood side of Chalmers below Jefferson

Eastside_cat

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES61
The Ligosky family name sounds familiar; I lived in the middle of the 1st block btwn Scripps and Korte. The names that I remember from my block were the Rifes, Hormans, Sizlaks, Hortons, Greenfelters, Cirpio (they lived on Lakewood and his dad taught at Finny HS) too many that I just can't remember because it seems like a lifetime ago.

Ron.. Hope all is well up in Flint

Take care all

Kennyd
Username: Kennyd

Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My family lived on Lakewood between Jefferson & Freud. (Frood) I remember the Cunninghams, Berger, Pellerito, Dunlap, Florkey, Taylor, Vicky & Trish, sisters who used to dance on Detroit’s version of American Bandstand? Bolos, Essian, LaPointe, Halso, McIlhargey, Coachess, Hoaglund. I was friends with the youngest of most of these clans.
Does anyone remember asking someone - "Where you goin'?" They'd answer "We're goin' up Jeff." (Jefferson)

I went to school at Guyton for Kindergarten - I remember my teacher Mrs. Mangus and her VW bus. Red with a tan top? I'm glad to hear she's doing OK.
I went to St. Martin's for 1st to 3rd grade, but as the youngest kid and 4 above me in Parochial HS, I returned to Guyton again. I remember Mr. Weitschat very fondly. His “5 to stay alive” bathroom breaks, candy bar prizes for a dozen game/contests. His nicknames. Didn't he have a VW bus too? I remember later he had a hearse that he took us bowling in! His house was always a great place to visit on Halloween -
One summer day, me and some friends rode our bikes up to Tommy's. We never had the money for a burger or fries but we'd get a Coke. We saw Mr. W. there, and before I knew it, he was taking us for a spin on the Teacher's Pet. I'll write him a letter soon.

We kids used to make long necklaces out of the pull-tabs people discarded from beer or pop cans by wrapping the tabs through the loop of the next one. Angel park parking lot was a goldmine of those tabs!

I remember the Guyton school fairs and those little bamboo canes they sold there...
By the time I was ready to leave Guyton, St. Martin's school had been sold to the City of Detroit and became Remus Robinson Middle School. I went there for a few months and learned what it's like to be a minority. Later, my folks sent me to St. Ambrose on Alter north of Jeff. Whew!

Remember walking down an alley at night, and how the broken glass would shimmer on the ground like a million stars? You can't buy memories like that!

Eastside_cat

Post Number: 38
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KennyD
Those were some great memories. I had forgotten how Mr. W had nicknames for everyone. One of my favorite things to do was to help him put books away in the Library, because he always made a game of it and seemed to treat us like we mattered. What years did you attend Guyton, I was there from '70-74.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1227
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brenda: Do you remember Larry Williams who lived on Eastlawn below jefferson? He also went to Cass.

Dennymit
Username: Dennymit

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all - again! I have been "absent" from the site and decided I better check to see "wazup". Glad to see it has started up again!

I grew up on the corner of Philip and Avondale from about 1948 to 1964. First we lived in an upper flat and then moved across Avondale into a house. As I said in my story about Angel Park, I was the youngest of three kids: Gary, Jackie, and me. I lived across the street from Guyton and only went there for K then 12 years at St. Martins. Spent every outside moment in those playgrounds though!

You all have many great memories of Mr. W. at Guyton. I can understand how he got to be such a great adult because I knew his parents who lived three houses away from me. His mom was my Cub Scout "Den Mother" (Good 'ole Troop 244) and his dad was a Scout leader too.

One day, when I was just a young kid, I was by Mr. W's car while he was working in the trunk. He accidently closed the trunk on my finger. BOY! he went nuts and had all the moms in the vicinity checking out my hand. His mom did the first aid with a lot of ice. As I look back on that, I am glad to say that there was never a thought of a law suit --- those were the days. Today, I would have been removed from my home and all those moms that helped would be charged with something or another. Nope, those days are gone!

Well. I am rambling on here..... Just wanted to say "HI"

btw: Did any of you attend the Neighborhood Reunion in September? I was there and it was great!

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 176
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Well folks, unless something changes, it going to be tough to do anything in the "d", Maybe I was too optimistic, But I thought that this would really be a no brainer, but its been one challenge after the next to procure this parcel. I really think that this might leave all the good things in this thread only in peoples memories. Tragic.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or, you could say that fond memories are sublime.

Yes, that's what I say.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 319
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend and I wandered through that trailer park a couple years ago, must've been right before they removed them all. Place had been long vacated and the trailers were completely trashed. Many of them were gutted by thieves looking for copper and other raw materials and many of them simply appeared to be trashed because that's what happens eventually with all abandoned structures in Detroit. But the most disturbing thing we discovered that winter day was a deer that had literally been cut neatly in half across the midsection. It was cold out, so the body was well preserved, like something a hunter would mount on his wall, only without removing the guts. I don't recall whether we found the other half. It disturbed us to think of what might have gone on there.

Years ago when I lived nearby in Grosse Pointe Park, I used the boat ramp next to Tommy's to launch my kayak, occasionally paddling upstream through the neighborhood or alongside the canal that bordered Lakeside en route to the river. It is a fascinating place.

I once looked at a rental house on Ashland that backed up to the canal. We considered moving in, but backed away after noticing the numbers of underemployed, listless teens and the burned-out homes in the area. I occasionally drove down the street in subsequent years and thought the neighborhood seemed to be declining, thinking we had made the right decision.

I never lived in the neighborhood unlike many on this thread, but there are a few semi-modern vignettes for ya.

Kennyd
Username: Kennyd

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside61,
I was at Guyton for 4th-6th grade, 1968-1971. I remember watching the Tigers in the '68 World Series on TV in Mr. Curry's gym class and someone pointing out the "Al-Kaline" battery commercial.

I had Mrs. Tisdale and after taking too long a bathroom break I tried to play it off by looking at some books in the upper bookshelves in her classroom. She was mad, and was chewing me out while she approached, and slammed the wood and glass cabinet door closed, but right into my head! She was upset, saying it was the first time she had to fill out an accident report, and she was OLD. I hope that didn't cause her too much consternation. My head only hurt for a day or so...

While I was coming up, class size was always an issue. I remember class with 33-34 kids. They ended up putting kindergarten in the portable classroom in the playground outside.

In 6th grade, my last year at Guyton, there was a new kid in class. I saw him the following year at Remus Robinson and he had a different name altogether. Don't know why, but he asked me to keep it quiet, and I have until now.

I remember the appliance store on Jefferson between Lakewood and Chalmers near Gino's. Built many a fort and tank with boxes from behind there. When it closed, a "dirty book store" opened there. The neighborhood was in an uproar and folks picketed outside. Soon, the store burned, and there were all the smoky, but readable books lying in the trash behind the store for the kids to get.
The neighborhood was clearly in steep decline and later I saw almost all my childhood friends disappear one by one, but I still remember when I was just little the happy life and places we all share in common.

385_marlborough
Username: 385_marlborough

Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To 286 Marlborough
I appreciate you posting the Guyton Story to You Tube but the videos aren't there anymore. Are you planning to re post them? I think my parents are in it, it's a little before my time.
I lived at 385 Marlborough (obviously). My parents move into the neighborhood in the 40's, I have a brother John and two sisters Diane and Mary Hackem. The stories here bring back FOND memories of everyone in the neighborhood, most of them have been listed. Mr. Weitschat is indelible in my mind, driving Boy Scouts to swimming Wednesday nights in the Commer and stopping at Saunders for ice cream. Bowling at Jefferson Lanes with the manual pin setters.

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 510
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

286--What happened to The Guyton story? I was telling my mom (Hoisington) who lived at 231 Philip and Frued and went to show her and it had been pulled by the user.

Ron_saad

Post Number: 127
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you Dave Hackem Marlborough?

385_marlborough
Username: 385_marlborough

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Ron Saad, yeah it's Dave Hackem.

Ron_saad

Post Number: 128
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thought it was you but wasn't sure. Where are you living now?
I'm up near Flint but work in Sterling Hts.

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 169
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paging Ron Saad and Tarkus,
Ron, are you any relation to Joe Saad who had a Sinclair gas station on Mack?
Tarkus, are you any relation to Bill Hoisington?

Ron_saad

Post Number: 130
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe.
Had so many relatives.
We had a grocery store on Eastlawn and Freud.

Hotwired

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good article about 1958 plane crash:

http://digitize.gp.lib.mi.us/d igitize/newspapers/gpnews/1955 -59/58/1958-10-30.pdf

Upinthewoods
Username: Upinthewoods

Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys missed out! up until 6 months ago your precious trailer-plex was still viewable on google earth!

Brenda
Username: Brenda

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, tis the night of the Detroit Fire Works...I will have to view on the net from where I live now, but oh, does it bring back memories as a kid getting ready when my Dad came home from work with our little cooler to drive down Jefferson to find a "free" parking spot and walking to Hart Plaza when it was all grass....When I returned to Michigan after being in the Navy, I took my daughter there at Hart to feel and hear the great fireworks...though the traffic was worse and it took forever to get home, it was worth every minute to see the waterfront light up....it won't be the same watching it on the net, but I can dream of years past when I was down there many a year seeing the skies light up x3!

Joymac
Username: Joymac

Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Must know you Kennyd, your history sounds like mine. Went to Guyton, then Remus Robinson and as you say as a minority only lasted until I was beat up and went to St. Ambrose in my 5th year. Some of my best memories are from there. Even married a classmate. Didn't get together until I was 21. Lot's of memories of Lakewood park, the abandoned mansions on Lenox, and Handicap Park. Lived at 222 Lenox. Great memories of ice skating on the canal, catching gardner snakes after the fields caught on fire. Also remember the tanks coming down lenox during the riots.

Eastside_cat

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

joymac
You lived in a great location, you must be a few years older than me but the memories appear to be similar, went to church and Sunday school at St Martin’s always looking forward to the donuts in the basement after service. I left Guyton also but my parents sent me and my brother and sister to St Paul in the pointes, what a culture shock that was my classmates must have thought I lived in a war zone to hear them talk....I also ice skated the canals all the way over to the Edison plant and explored all the empty Mansions along the river front when they were bought up by the city under imminent domain, it created an adventurous place for a young kid on the eastside. Take care

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1348
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 6:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside61,

Our parents probably knew each other 745 Chalmers was my grandfather's house (and his fathers house).

It is now a field for pheasant

286marlborough
Username: 286marlborough

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all,
The Guyton Story is back in a new spot. I had to take it down from the other location. Long story. Not interesting. But here's one that is:

When Leslie sent me the 16mm film to have digitized, she also sent me a video tape of the film. I copied the tape and posted it on YouTube for awhile. When I had to take it down, I decided to wait for the better version before re-posting.

But when the digital copy came back from the shop, it was the wrong film. It was about Guyton, but it was a silent film, also in color, made sometime during the 40s. Apparently the label on the film can had nothing to do with the film inside.

So. Now there are two Guyton Stories on YouTube. The 1958 version made from VHS and this mystery 40’s version.

I’m hoping someone out there had family members who went to Guyton during the forties and can figure out when it was made. From the clothes, hairstyles and 30’s cars, it looks like early to mid-forties, but it could be later. And I didn’t see the monument in the front, although you get a brief glimpse of the lawn and flagpole.

To see the movies, just go to www.youtube.com and do a search on "Guyton School.” The forties version is divided into three parts and the fifties version, two parts. Part 1 of the 40s movie shows the Sealtest ice cream cart and a paper drive. Part 2 has lots of close-ups of kids faces and Part 3 shows kids gardening around the school grounds.

Dave Hackam - your sister Diane was in my class at Guyton. I remember your dad as the man who ran the Guyton Fair every year and gave kids prizes whether or not they won. He played my dad's wife in the silent film they used to show at the fair called “Three Gun Throtmorton.” Geez, Guyton Studios. Don't suppose you have a copy of that film hanging around ...?

By the way. St. Martins people. Where are your films? So far I’ve seen one blurry photograph of a Dad’s picnic.

Hotwired - thanks for the article on the plane crash. Some of us have been putting pieces of the story together for a couple of years. Your article tells it all. You can see pictures of the crash at https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/141822.html?1202349971

Final note. When Leslie heard she sent me the wrong film, she found the right one and had it put on DVD. She's sending me a copy which I don’t have yet but hope I can duplicate for anyone who's interested. More later.

286marlborough

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alice Holt identified her sister Carolyn in the 40's video. She looked about 10. So we did the math and figured the movie was probably taken in 1946 or 1947. Then we looked up a new children's book that was pictured in the film and saw that it was first written in 1945. So the movie couldn't have been made earlier than that. Finally, there was a poster in the film that said "Guyton Star On Sale Tuesday and Wednesday, April 9 and 10." We Googled "1946 Calendar" and found that, in 1946, April 9 and 10 did fall on a Tuesday and Wednesday. Ta Da!

So, if you had sisters, brothers, parents or grandparents that went to Guyton in 1946, take a look.

286marlborough

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More research on the 1958 plane crash.

There is a link to a new article about the crash on Paradise Lost 2. It has information about the crew members and their families and friends. See the post by Kbreenbo July 13, 2008.

Davedoc
Username: Davedoc

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all, been some time since I was here. I grew up on Eastlawn (528)between Essex & Freud. went to St. Martin's fot 1st thru 8th then asked to go elsewhere by the good nuns. Graduated from Denby '65. I knew most all who went to As we called it 'Martins'.Ran with Pat Mc Clear, Tom Essian. I am 60 now hoping for 61.So that is my reference point as to the neighborhood. Although my grand parents lived on Continental in the 20's. My dad worked at Hudson Motor'til they moved to Kenosha Wisc. I live in Northern Nevada now and never go back except for weddings & funerals.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1999
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DDoc_ do you happen to remember a Larry Williams who lived on Eastlawn below Jeff ... I think he went to Cass for HS???? He might have lived on Kitchener,too...

Davedoc

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry e61 doesn't sound too familiar. I knew a Buzz Morris and Matt Coleman who lived between Jeff and Frued on Eastlawn.

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 256
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Davedoc, do you remember is Buzz Morris was Harry Morris? Maybe he had a brother Dale Morris.

Davedoc

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stinger.. I don't remember Buzz's real name but I think your correct that he had a brother Dale.
They would have lived in the 700 block above Frued
on the odd numbered side of the street!

Carol_f
Username: Carol_f

Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi I am new to the site--just found it today. I grew up in the Trailer Court and went to Guyton K-7th grade. Some of your names are familier--Brenda Foster for one and the Saad's as well. I knew Pat Saad. My name was Prater. Lots of memories--great ones.

Ron_saad

Post Number: 138
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pat was my cousin

Rj_spangler
Username: Rj_spangler

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice to see folks from my old neighborhood here! I lived on Marlbough, Eastlawn, Manistique and Alter but I was in two different cribs on Ashalnd for years! That is where the Sun Messengers started, most of the cats could walk to rehearsals -- we all lived around there and we were a 10 to 12 piece group! What great memories -- the canal in my back yard, Begrave, Danny Spencer, Mimi Harris, Ron Alpern, Miche Braden, Mrs MacDoe & Mr. Eddie, Bird-Trane-Sco Now, park concerts at Brusch-Ford Park, the Hume brothers, etc. Two of my roomates/bandmates from back then have passed away in the last 1/2 year. That was a magical time and a magical place. Several of the guys in the band went to Denby by the way. I was already out of HS when I moved there in 1976.

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1443
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Rick,

I remember well when half the band was living above the tap room.

Hope you are doing well.

I will look forward to connecting with you soon I hope. Am I correct that you have been playing with your latest band at Cliff Bell's or have you moved on?

I am a friend from the boy scouts at Christ Church, Armando Houlihan's (pre-Sierra Station)and a bit of the music side of the world before I gave into earning an living.

Cheers

Rj_spangler

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Irish_mafia, anyone that refers to me as Rick is indeed an old friend! I see Joe White all of the time still, speaking of BSA.

My new group, which kind of takes off where the Sun Mess left off when they became the excellent funk-soul band that they are today, is called the Planet D Nonet (PD9) and is co-lead with James O'Donnell, from back in the old days on trumpet. Steiger & Paxton (still with the Sun boys) are also quite involved. We play early swing, some standards, Sun Ra and early Detroit R&B and we will be at Cliff Bell's on Nov 14 and the Blue Goose on Oct 26 (4 pm to 7 pm). Check out our site:

www.myspace.com/planetdnonet

I hope we can hang sometime soon.

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1445
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice pics Rick. Tell Joe good work!

Last time I saw him, I think, was at a little party for his dad's birthday over at Brian's house about a year ago.

I will definitely make it to one or both of those gigs.

Cheers!

Rj_spangler

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joe says he has more from recent gigs like the John Sinclair birthday bash.

Hope to see you soon then!

Silky_sullivan
Username: Silky_sullivan

Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wish to say hi to everyone on this site. I grew up in the neighborhood from 1956-1962. Graduated from Saint Martins in '59. Lived on Drexel (431 I think) and then moved to 548 Manistique.Also lived in the apartment building above the subway market across from the grocery and drugstore on Manistique and Essex.It was a short stay as the bunko squad raided me when I was running a poker game and they hauled about 10 of us out and told me I had a choice of jail or moving out and join the service. I choose the latter. For a short period I lived at 491 Ashland. Some of you knew me as Ron, some as Sullivan or Silky Sullivan and some as Boom Boom.
I did a lot of fishing at Lakewood Park and use to sneak in under a condemed bridge off Lenox Ave. next to the Fisher mansion. Use to play hockey in the winter and swim in the summer in the canal on Alter Road. It was a great neighborhood to grow up in.
In my time we were known as the Manistique and Essex gang (never understood why we couldn't be called something else like the Rumblers etc.)LOL. Whenever there was a rumor of someone invading our turf they would put all us little guys up on the roof over the drugstore and grocery and if those places are still there you probably will find rocks, bricks, and bottles stored up there.
All in all we actually rarely caused any trouble. We were a generation of rock n roll music lovers and enjoyed putting on the records and making out.
Hope to hear from some of you and keep posting as it has been very enjoyable reading. I have some posting to do on the Ashland plane crash and a couple famous people who use to live in the neighborhood.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.