Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Georgia Street Community Collective Information Thread » Archive through March 17, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 502
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub: I'll handle this...

Blueidone

Post Number: 503
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas: Should I mail this letter directly to Ben & Jerry's or send it to you? E-mail me at corneroffice2 at aol dot com. Thanks!

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 775
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 6:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is another insomniac night so I might as well explain my garden pig story. In 1913, a child named Wilbur Chapman bought a pig, he named it Pete. He nurtured it and sold it to raise money for a needy cause. Most kids can't raise real pigs so churches everywhere adopted a piggy bank program to raise funds. These banks were ugly and almost scary.

Recently, we were the recipients of a grant program and were given a green piggy bank. The green piggy bank says "Change for Change", I will utilize this ugly little green plastic bank to raise funds for the garden.

When an older sibling was young, she used to canvas visitors and relatives with her piggy bank saying her piggy was hungry. I plan to do the same, only I will tell people, their money will really go to, change for change.

Blueidone

Post Number: 504
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas...what a neat idea. I am a craft person and could buy plain piggy banks and paint them for the Garden...I think I need to make a trip to the craft store now...:-)

Sumas

Post Number: 778
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 6:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dear Blue, I am happy to hear you are into crafts. When the community center is up and running. I have maybe as much as 20 large plastic crates of really good craft stuff. My mom used to be really into craft items for our church's fairs but all the ladies just got too old and no longer do these projects. The retail value of this "stuff" is probably close to several thousand dollars. If you are a crafter, you know its value. Last year we contacted Art and Scrapps looking to donate this stuff but they never called back. Their loss.

A while back, someone suggested kids could do journals. This "stuff" could make that really fun!

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 182
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all! We're planning some great things at the Garden this spring! Spring is just a few weeks away (Thank God!) and we're all very excited to get out and begin work on our Gardens! Yes, gardens! We have three gardens this year on 10 city lots.

Check out the blog (http://www.georgiastreetgarden .blogspot.com ) to see our newest garden! It's located at the corner of Holcomb and Georgia Streets, across from the Christ Word Outreach Ministries' church and annex (where we usually hold our events). This garden is made up of 4 city lots with some trees on them. It is called the Sapphire Garden.

We decided to name the gardens since all three of our gardens are on Georgia St and it would sound better to call them by a name rather than "The garden at Vinton and Georgia." Since these are our hidden gems in the city, we came up with these names:
1. Diamond (corner of Vinton and Georgia St.)
2. Sapphire (corner of Holcomb and Georgia St.)
3. Ruby (corner of McClellan and Georgia St.)

As we grow in the months and years to come, the next ones will have names like Emerald, Topaz, Amethyst, etc. Hopefully we'll soon have beautiful new signs with the names so they're easy to find.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7832
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Viva,
I love it!

I keep finding more info on gardening in small places and using recycled materials I'd like to share with you and Mark. i.e. I came across a design for a vertical herb garden made from 2litre pop bottles and scrap wood that holds 21 plants and waters from top to bottom

Vivadetroit

Post Number: 183
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Jams!! That sounds really cool. That would be a good way to use those pop bottles we have from Canada or Ohio! LOL. Send us an email at georgiast313(at)yahoo(dot)com and we'll set up a time to go over your ideas!

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3774
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey guys! 2 liter pop bottles from Canada! I'm your source!!! We put at least 4 a week in the recycle bin here. If you want I'll start saving them and on our next trip over drop them off to Cub. Just let me know for sure.

Jams

Post Number: 7835
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll take them, I rarely drink pop so I was going to pay the deposit for my next door neighbor's bottles to get some.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3777
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay Jams - cool - Cub is it okay with you if I drop them off and Jams can pick them up from you?? :-)

Stosh
Username: Stosh

Post Number: 85
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking at your blog, I saw that you may have a need for rain barrels. What are you hooking them up to?

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 1141
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We Have a couple of spots near our gardens where we plan to hook them up to down spouts.

Hi Erie!! Of course that would be ok.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3778
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awww thanks Cub! We've started saving them already! LOL

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 959
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 2:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad the gardening thing is getting back in gear,I've made enough stupid post on here to last a year.I need to make a list of stuff the gardens need and try to add to it.

Blueidone

Post Number: 506
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reddog..check the blog http://www.georgiastreetgarden .blogspot.com

There is a list there of the things we need. Thanks for offering to help!

Jams

Post Number: 7837
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Cub and Eriedearie,
I'm excited to build this. Walking around the neighborhood today, I found several fallen branches 1½ to 2 inches in diameter fairly straight and at least 4 feet long that I'll use for the cross braces and attach the bottles to for a rustic (and free) look.

Vivadetroit

Post Number: 184
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's something else to get excited about! The Georgia Street Community Collective will be hosting an Easter Egg Hunt and Brunch with the Easter Bunny on Saturday, April 11th! Children of all ages are welcome.

The event begins at 9:30 a.m. at 9352 Georgia Street in Detroit. We'll kick off with two Easter Egg Hunts (one for kids 1-6 yrs old and another for the bigger kids). Afterwards, we'll have the Brunch with the Easter Bunny & serve Pancakes & Sausage, Juice, Milk and Coffee.

Prices are: Easter Egg Hunt - $1.00 per child;
Brunch -
Adult - 18 & up.........$3.00
Child 2-17...............$2.00
Child under 2............Free (with adult)
Pictures....................$2 .00 each

FAMILY DEAL SPECIAL...........$20.00 *
Breakfast for up to 5 people per family any age, 2 pictures with the Easter Bunny and up to 4 children for Easter Egg Hunt. (* $3 per additional adult, breakfast only; $3 per additional child, breakfast & egg hunt).

We're looking for volunteers to help with the event, too. We'll need people to help cook and serve food, clean up, hide eggs and supervise the children in the Easter Egg Hunt, prize distributors, ticket takers and photography help (3 jobs: someone to take the pictures, someone to print them and then someone to stick them in the picture holder & distribute.)

We're also seeking donations of food (pancake mix, syrup, plates/napkins, juice boxes or can/bottle juice, milk, coffee and CANDY! We've already got overwhelming response from the children in the neighborhood, so we're expecting many people. We would prefer jelly beans, bubble gum, small chocolate eggs, and any other small wrapped candy (must fit in a plastic egg!). No Peeps or big chocolate rabbits, please.

We are looking forwards to this event and hope you can come help support us! If you have any questions, please email us at georgiast313(at)yahoo(dot)com. Thanks!!

Sumas

Post Number: 790
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, we can help with food and or candy up to $50.00 worth in April. I'll check back in early April to see what you need that hasn't already been donated and will deliver to Cub on the 7th or 8th. Sounds like a fun event.

We did an all age egg hunt once in our home. Ages ranged from 2 to sixteen. since it was inside we had restrictions for each age group, pretty much determined by each groups height. The kids were fantastic and respected the rules.

Blueidone

Post Number: 507
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas: First prototype of the GSCC piggy bank is finished! It is not as perfect as I would like...but it's just the prototype. One side says "GSCC...One Block at a Time". The other side says "Change 4 Change".

Thanks for the great idea. As time and money permits, I will make more of these. Hopefully I will have some to sell at the Yard Sale we are planning for May 16th.

Sumas

Post Number: 791
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy to hear about the yard sale. It gives me great motivation to cull stuff.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1360
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sort of living vicariously through you guys by way of what is posted in this thread. And I'm almost always made to warmly smile when I read this thread. For me, this is something no other DYes thread can claim. Cub sounds like an incredible, inspiring and humble man.

Sumas

Post Number: 793
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vetal, I am right there with you. I read most if not all DY threads and the viciousness displayed by some, can be disturbing. Sometimes when people say silly or rude things on other threads, I am tempted to mention GSCG but I never do so, for fear that negative types might invade or contaminate this thread. The community at large involvement is awe inspiring, donations even come from out of state.

I am stretched thin with projects and my budget even thinner but every time I can do a little something for this garden I feel so rewarded on a personal emotional level.

Spring is around the corner and I hope to be more involved this year. If you are in the area, come visit.

Blueidone

Post Number: 508
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

10 banks made so far...several different styles. Heading for more dollar stores tomorrow to look for more banks. Thanks again for the idea, Sumas...I'm having a blast!

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 974
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 2:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad I went to the list. I got some pallets laying round and still got other things from last year to bring. I need to head down there any way.

Sumas

Post Number: 795
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am glad you liked the idea. I look forward to seeing the end product. I am decent at crafts and projects but I like garden/nature projects the best.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1400
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still nothing in TIME magazine?

Sumas

Post Number: 802
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got all excited because I thought I had found a really cool kid and garden grant. Then I realized I was looking at a website for Wayne County Extension in IOWA!

Blueidone

Post Number: 513
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too funny, Sumas!

Blueidone

Post Number: 516
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reminder: (and shameless bump) :-)

Here's something else to get excited about! The Georgia Street Community Collective will be hosting an Easter Egg Hunt and Brunch with the Easter Bunny on Saturday, April 11th! Children of all ages are welcome.

The event begins at 9:30 a.m. at 9352 Georgia Street in Detroit. We'll kick off with two Easter Egg Hunts (one for kids 1-6 yrs old and another for the bigger kids). Afterwards, we'll have the Brunch with the Easter Bunny & serve Pancakes & Sausage, Juice, Milk and Coffee.

Prices are: Easter Egg Hunt - $1.00 per child;
Brunch -
Adult - 18 & up.........$3.00
Child 2-17...............$2.00
Child under 2............Free (with adult)
Pictures....................$2 .00 each

FAMILY DEAL SPECIAL...........$20.00 *
Breakfast for up to 5 people per family any age, 2 pictures with the Easter Bunny and up to 4 children for Easter Egg Hunt. (* $3 per additional adult, breakfast only; $3 per additional child, breakfast & egg hunt).

We're looking for volunteers to help with the event, too. We'll need people to help cook and serve food, clean up, hide eggs and supervise the children in the Easter Egg Hunt, prize distributors, ticket takers and photography help (3 jobs: someone to take the pictures, someone to print them and then someone to stick them in the picture holder & distribute.)

We're also seeking donations of food (pancake mix, syrup, plates/napkins, juice boxes or can/bottle juice, milk, coffee and CANDY! We've already got overwhelming response from the children in the neighborhood, so we're expecting many people. We would prefer jelly beans, bubble gum, small chocolate eggs, and any other small wrapped candy (must fit in a plastic egg!). No Peeps or big chocolate rabbits, please.

We are looking forwards to this event and hope you can come help support us! If you have any questions, please email us at georgiast313(at)yahoo(dot)com. Thanks!!