Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » Archive through March 31, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 6191
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Okay, now you got me hooked on this stupid map thingie. It's interesting are you rotate around in the bird's eye view, stuff changes. The building one the SW corner of 7 and Hayes actually gets replaced! Really cool.

Tsom, I think that's because of the way they photograph it. I know on Google Maps that you can be 'walking' down a street, and all of a sudden the cloud patterns change, the shadows move and it's sunnier. They quit at around dusk, and come back and start over the next morning at the same spot.
Check this one on Google. http://maps.google.com/maps?so urceid=navclient&rlz=1T4SUNA_e nUS265US265&q=cass+and+michiga n+ave+detroit,+mi&um=1&ie=UTF- 8&split=0&gl=us&ei=4wLNSeHiFoL 8nQeuuYzcCQ&sa=X&oi=geocode_re sult&resnum=1&ct=image Click the street view and then the right hand arrow and look at the sky ahead of you.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2801
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

On the East side of Burbank where the gravel playground used to be is a new gym and parking lot. We used to play ball on that playground from morning till night with an old taped up baseball.

Only when the Goombah's weren't tying it up playing Bocce Ball.

Jcole

Post Number: 6192
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's another aerial of the church. Straight down into the courtyard.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 456
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole, you are somethin' else!! I am now thinking that is a white fountain just above the reflecting pool or whatever that is. Seems I remember when I was a kid washing the priest's cars, I looked through the garage and saw a white fountain.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1426
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: The back of the closets where the priest keeps their garments is at the same point where the stairwell wall going down to the church basement is located. Going further east you would end up in the rectory garage. The wall on the west side of the court (left in the picture) is adjacent to the back of the confessionals/closets. There are no windows there. Up higher (high in the court area) there are the stain glass windows of the Saints that continue along the entire church.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1427
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was working at Heilmann during the early 70s I always found it interesting to see the bocce ball players on the Burbank School playground all the time. It seemed they were there well into the 80s. Of course I never had to deal with them. (Yeah, we ruled the black top)

Trivia (this was discussed many posts ago): Where is (was) the bocce ball hall of fame? Who was one of its first commissioners (local celebrity)?

Zitro

Post Number: 2802
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another St. Jude parishoner passes. Mrs. Carrier was a constant around the choir activites. Her husband Warren and son Don were long time members of the choir.

CARRIER DOROTHY
March 29, 2009

Age 85. March 27, 2009. Beloved wife of the late Warren. Loving mother of Donald (Shirley), Mary Ann (Gregory) Tyll and Carol Jean Carrier. Proud grandmother of Tim, Jeff, Gary, Jennifer, David and Jason. Also seven great-grandchildren, Adam, Andrew, Hannah, Aaron, Allison, Madelyn and Nicholas. Survived by siblings Eleanor Green and Donald Szafranski. Memorial Service to be held at the Sterling Heights Chapel of Bagnasco & Calcaterra Funeral Home, 13650 E. Fifteen Mile Rd. (at Schoenherr) Saturday, April 4. Gathering with the family 9:30 a.m. until Service 10:30 a.m. Memories to be shared at bcfh.com

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1889
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MGRHDS.

Jcole

Post Number: 6204
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Make sure you all sign up over on the new board. You can use your same username/password, but unless you sign up over there, you won't be able to post. Also, I think everything up to April 1 will be archived on this site, so it will look like a brand new thread. At least that's how I understand what is going to happen.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1428
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.detroityes.com/

JC brings up an important point. Hopefully, this thread will continue without a glitch. Let's all stay connected. God Bless.

Jcole

Post Number: 6207
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay all, I recreated the thread title on the new site. I guess we can post here and there until Weds. but after that, this thread, along with all the others on here, will be frozen in time. So get cracking, and sign up on the new site. I should be able to answer some of your questions if you have problems. I've been testing over there for a couple weeks.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 738
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the meaning of life?

Will I win the lotto tomorrow?

Do you love me, Junie Moon?

Zitro

Post Number: 2803
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is the earth round?

Was there really a lie detector in Franks Boiler room?

Where was Mayfield actually located?

Jcole

Post Number: 6210
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a cereal by Quaker
Not if you don't play
I can't answer for Junie, but the rest of us do

Jcole

Post Number: 6211
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because if it was square, it would wobble

Yes, Frank himself

Between Houston-Whittier and McNichols, just east of Gratiot

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 131
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, instead of Ask Jeeves, we got Ask JC!

Zitro

Post Number: 2804
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, Mayfield the town where the Beav lived.

Jcole

Post Number: 6212
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You didn't specify, so my answer stands.

Jcole

Post Number: 6213
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tsom, I sent you a private message on the new site, but I'll ask you here too. Can you delete your post on the ST Jude thread over there so I can try and fix my spelling error in the thread title. I can't delete the thread if it will delete your post.

Jcole

Post Number: 6215
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just going to create a new thread spelled correctly so look for St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia and post to that one.

Tsomyak

Post Number: 132
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm, I tried to find the the thread with my post, but it appears to be gone. Were you somehow able to delete it?

Jcole

Post Number: 6216
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, it was still there last time I looked. But I added a new one called St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia. The other one should fall off.

Jcole

Post Number: 6217
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like someone deleted it for me.

Tsomyak

Post Number: 133
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, glad to hear that it wasn't my eyes failing me.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 707
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boy, things get complicated when you're gone for a few days. Now I have to sign up some place new ---- UGH - I'm so confused! Thank God for JCole the Computer Wizard!

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1890
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had the distinct priviledge of attending Mass this weekend at St. Jude. It still feels like home. And I wasn't even thinking about my car like I always do when I park it somewhere because I was told by a reliable source the lot was secure. The church is beautiful, and Fr. Robert is the right pastor for this parish in these times. I keep missing the bread and soup, Polish food and spaghetti they sometimes serve after Masses, Stations, and other services. Gotta get me a schedule.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1429
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.leaveittobeaver.org /faq.htm#Where was Mayfield located?

just in case you all have some extra time on your hands

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1430
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: I guess I need the 1st edition of "thread title on new site" made easy. Please help

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1431
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Never mind. I found it. I like this style better though
Thanks

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 708
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K - Yes, Father Robert is the Pastor for St. Jude at this time - Young and enthusiastic - but at the same time, says the most reverent of Masses - AMEN? His homilies always give you a "take away". Glad you enjoyed the Mass and felt at home. I know, I always do! Will keep you all up-dated on any upcoming current events!