Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » Archive through March 27, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1886
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haven't seen Red in years.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1887
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't Diane VanHolenbeck live in that same house on Kelly (27444)?

(Message edited by 7andkelly on March 25, 2009)

Dave70
Username: Dave70

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 6:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey John R, did you sell that bike to J Dekemp? I ask because I grew up next door to him and I'm pretty sure that was my first two-wheeler! My parents bought it from him. hehe

I remember hearing a band practicing in their basement a lot and one evening they had a concert in their backyard, the only song I remember them playing was "Suicide is Painless" from M*A*S*H Ha! I was probably in kindergarten or first grade then. I thought it was pretty cool.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 6174
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just messing around on Live Maps and found this. You can almost see into the courtyard!

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 449
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole, thanks for that link - first time I saw 12468 Laing in 5 years. Most of the neighborhood looks pretty good, with the exception of the lack of trees. Big Brother is definitely here!

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2794
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We'll get in that courtyard yet by hook or by crook.

Jcole

Post Number: 6175
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tried zooming in further, but the angle is just off enough to not let you see real well

Johnr
Username: Johnr

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dave70,
No, I didn,t sell that bike to him, I was into 10-speeds at that time.
JCole:Janet sez hi and she's joining this forum and will be posting very soon and I know shel'll be talking alot of crap about me so don't believe everything you read!

Jcole

Post Number: 6176
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool. And BTW, I'll believe everything she says about you. After all, you're a younger brother and you must be tortured

Johnr

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG you sound just like her!

Jcole

Post Number: 6177
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were friends back in the day, you know.

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 129
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's an angle that shows the courtyard. Hey, is that a pool they got in there? :-)

http://maps.live.com/default.a spx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=r25dfm8 2m8f6&style=b&lvl=2&tilt=-90&d ir=0&alt=-1000&scene=18814647& phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

Jcole

Post Number: 6180
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good work, TSom, and you're right; it looks like a pool or a pond in there, doesn't it?

12468_laing

Post Number: 451
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good job Tsomyak....a true sluth. I have a question, though. if you were in the sacristy, could you look through the stained glass windows into the courtyard? am trying to figure out where those courtyard windows on the church proper are.

Zitro

Post Number: 2795
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe it's a pond. I recall there being a small fountain in there. Laing to answer your question-no you could not see it from the sacristy. There are steps leading down to the lower church and you would have to go down about 6-7 steps from the sacristy to get to the door to the courtyard

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 130
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, now you got me hooked on this stupid map thingie. It's interesting are you rotate around in the bird's eye view, stuff changes. The building one the SW corner of 7 and Hayes actually gets replaced! Really cool. By the way, it looks like you girls had a pond or pool of some type at Regina. Is that where the nuns held the hot tub parties? (And did I just hear thunder???)

12468_laing

Post Number: 452
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

z, ok, but could you look down from the sacristy into the courtyard?

Zitro

Post Number: 2796
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are looking straight ahead at the altar from the pews there is a door to the right leading into the sacristy. If you went straight up the steps you would walk into the sacrsity. To your immediate right when you walk in that door there is a hallway leading down to the steps, those steps lead you to basically a locker room type setting where the altar boys kept their vestmants. From that room it leads to the lower sacristy. I believe also there was a small restroom at the top of those steps too.

Zitro

Post Number: 2797
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Along the east wall of the sacristy best I can recall there were closets that the Priests kept their vestmants and since the opening to the hallway was near the front door leading to the church there was no view of the courtyard

12468_laing

Post Number: 453
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks z. now, that map site has gotten into me. I went in with Heilman Detroit, MI and found a Heilman middle school on Maddelein. When was that built, and am i correct in assuming that that school helped spell the doom of St. Jude?

Zitro

Post Number: 2798
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm trying to think now if I ever actually stepped into the courtyard. The door leading into it had a glass window so I know I looked in, but you could'nt get a full view. I probably went up and down those steps 500 times. That looks more like a pool than a pond from the aerial view though

CFG is sworn to secresy so we might never know

7andkelly

Post Number: 1888
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think she is sworn in, Z, and you don't want to get caught roaming around with your video camera in the Sacristy or those back stairs either. It's verboten as Sgt Schultz would say.

Zitro

Post Number: 2799
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee 7 it sounds like you speaketh from experience.

12468_laing

Post Number: 454
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so for all of you who still live in the environs, when did they build up the Heilman area like it is now? Amazing. That middle school still has my curiousity. How long has it been there?

Mkap
Username: Mkap

Post Number: 100
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing - It was built in the last five years or so. Two schools on either end, and a new rec center (don't know if it is still a pool) in the middle. New basketball courts (which is filled with broken bottles so you can't play even if you wanted too) just south of the old tennis courts.
On the East side of Burbank where the gravel playground used to be is a new gym and parking lot. We used to play ball on that playground from morning till night with an old taped up baseball.

Mkap

Post Number: 101
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JR - Janet still in TC?

Jcole

Post Number: 6184
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tsom, no that's not a pool/pond at Regina. That's the courtyard next to the cafeteria, and if memory serves, there was a small fountain thingy there.
The very back of the building is the convent, and that smallish dome-looking thing is the chapel.

Johnr

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mkap: Yes and lurking on this site as well.

Mkap

Post Number: 102
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JR- Last time I spoke with her, she was living on Vernier and just moving to TC.

JK - If you are lurking, say hi to Mike for me.
Hope the family is doing well.

Zitro

Post Number: 2800
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come out, come out wherever you are JK. We have enough alumni out there just lurking.