Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Sheff gets the boot! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tigers finally release sheffield...

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 623
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised by the move, since the season's about to start, but maybe they saw something. Still owe him $14mil though.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 225
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was 22 million wasted by the Tigers. Why in the hell did they sign such an over the hill player. I hate when General Managers trade young talent for washed up, over the hill guys. Sheff didn't do a damned thing while he was here. Good riddance.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 3170
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hah! Hornist & I were saying "good riddance" at virtually the same moment!
But I was saying it on the Tigers 2009 thread. Could we move the discussion over there? That way, we can grouse & bitch about all kinds of other stuff while we celebrate the departure of a guy who should not have been allowed to wear Trammell's number.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1944
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is a surprise. He's one HR shy of 500. I think it is a strong testament to Marcus Thames, because he was about to get the final position player roster spot (probably). Now they can keep another left handed bat off the bench. After the trade the other day, the only bench spots were for Treanor, the new kid, Santiago, and Thames.

Sheffield probably didn't quite live up to expectations, but I wouldn't say he didn't do a damn thing. 25 HR and 22 stolen bases for a season is pretty good (2007).

Ravine

Post Number: 3171
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Withya on that, Chedd. For a few months in 2007, he was a goddam magician. And that's a lot of SB's for a guy who was 38 at the time.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 227
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry guys, I am biased about trading young talent for old guys. I used to see it all of the time before Mr. Illitch bought the Red Wings, and it just burns me up. Now the Tigers have pitching needs, and have traded almost every prospect away, (Jurrjens, Andrew Miller) and those are a couple of good young arms the Tigers could use RIGHT NOW! Who did we get for them? A broken down Edgar Diarrhea, and Wacky Willis, who's lost the hop on his fast ball, and I'll say it right now, he'll never be any good again. I hope I'm wrong, and will eat my Tiger's baseball cap if I am wrong.

The Tigers traded a young guy named Humberto Sanchez for Sheffield, and he did have arm problems after he left here. I don't know if his problem came about after he became Yankee property, and is he still with the New York organization? Anyone know?

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1945
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, the Tigers were well aware of Sanchez's troubles. If I knew about it before the trade, I'm sure the Tigers did too.

While they have traded some young arms, there are more to replace them(Porcello and Perry?). Jurrjens had a decent year, but he wasn't exactly lights out. Andrew Miller had a pretty shitty year last year, but he will probably get better.

Ravine

Post Number: 3172
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, let's not say that the Tigers have traded away all of their good young arms. Jurrjens had a very good season for the Braves, but it was nearly identical to the season Galarraga had for us. Yeah, I know it would have been great to have had them both, but if Jurrjens had been here, we might not have made the Galarraga pick-up.
And, Hornist, not jumping on you, but Miller? What could we use Miller for? Miller's ERA is 5.80. If he shaves a full run off of that, he's still useless.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1759
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

None of the players they dealt fo Sheffield amounted to anything for the Yankees, Sanchez has never been healthy.

Willis was a throw in, no players were traded for him.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: