Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Earth Hour Detroit 8:30 tonight » Archive through March 29, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2082
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who is participating?

Any Metro Detroit city you know of?

http://www.earthhour.org

Goose
Username: Goose

Post Number: 112
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as a "non-believer" in the global warming religion I will not participate

but my lights will be off anyway as I will probably not be home, and they are 99% off when I am home anyway, not for any great "earth" cause, but because electricity is so damn expensive now......

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 730
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Farmington Hills is Participating. The ROC is not :-(

East_detroit

Post Number: 2083
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20090327/M ETRO01/903270475/1361/Detroit+ to+participate+in+Earth+Hour

Detroit to participate in Earth Hour

Even if you don't believe that man participates in climate change, worst case is that the less energy you use (the way we generate it today) the cleaner your air will be.

Baltgar
Username: Baltgar

Post Number: 120
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Book Tower is participating.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 811
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit has been participating (slowly) since 1950! ha

<313>

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 318
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I promise to do my part tonight at 8:30 for Earth Hour in order to save all those poor pandas. I'll be rollin' the bones with my homies on the corner tonight at 8:30 under the illumination of earth friendly candles made by Vegan hippies.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 705
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trans Love Airways will be grounded 8:30 - 9:30.

Peace to all.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 3020
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't see a lot of participation around here, maybe two or three houses in our neighborhood. Clearly our town is not participating, and from the looks of the lighted sky, I doubt there are many communities in on it. How would one hear about it? I did turn off our lights, and it is kind of cool sitting here in the dark, but it sure is hard to keyboard. I didn't realize how much I look at the keys.

Noggin
Username: Noggin

Post Number: 91
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really get p***ed off of listening to these movie stars who fly around in their private jets lecturing the rest of us to turn our lights off for an hour tonight to say something about global warming. I normally try to turn my lights off because it just costs money. Well tonight I am going to make my own statement. I am going to turn all my lights on because this is just total bs!

The real truth is that we just had one the colder winter in real long time and these same intelligent people also blamed it on global warming. The scientific reality is there is just not enough statistical data to prove if that the warming is caused by carbon dioxide discharge. There is actually more evidence that there is a closer correlation to the frequency to sun spots. Maybe these same smart people can figure out a way to get the sun to stop spinning.

Over and out.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 3021
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I rather think Earth hour should be about living sensibly on the planet, not some divisive thing like voting yes or no on global warming. How useless is that? Get everyone to save money by turning out the lights for an hour or turn off all but one light, or whatever, now that works for me.

Faygoredpop
Username: Faygoredpop

Post Number: 43
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I turned off the lights in my house. We were playing cards by candle light

Kevgoblu
Username: Kevgoblu

Post Number: 207
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Turning off the lights increases the romance factor around here.
Plus, it keeps the old lady from noticing I put on a couple pounds!
Oh yeah. And I'm doing my part to minimize global warming

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 498
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Noggin:

Regardless of any notion that CO2 may or may not alter earth's climate in any significant manner, reducing ones energy usage any means possible is simply the right thing to do for the environment. Most of our electricity is still generated via coal fired power plants. Coal is toxic, spewing mercury and other hazardous chemicals into the environment. Mining coal is DEADLY, killing on average between 20-30 miners a year. Mining coal is altering the landscape of appalachia, where mountains are now blown away to get at the coal, creating toxic moonscapes in their wake. I'd be all for using as much electricity as your wallet can manage, when the source of it is truly clean, such as solar, wind and ESPECIALLY geothermal. Until then, the earth really is straining under the pressure of six BILLION souls utilizing antiquated, polluting means of electric generation.

Bcscott
Username: Bcscott

Post Number: 141
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I turned on every light in the house and garage, warmed my hot tub up to 104 degrees and watched FOX News on my big screen TV. I briefly considered letting my F150 idle in the driveway for the hour but I thought that might have been a tad excessive. I simply plan on enjoying my personal freedoms for as long as humanly possible.

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 423
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 3:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I turned on 2 flood lights and pointed them straight up. Every house light was on.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 5149
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

as a "non-believer" in the global warming religion

It's not religion, it's science.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 843
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How would people know about it?

Well Detroit did a piss poor job of getting the word out. I am in Chicago this weekend and you can't walk 10 feet without seeing a sign for Earth Hour.

I think it is really strange when a group of people do something to make a difference, and then another group does the opposite just because they think it is cool to be a d-bag. Awesome guys.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 3022
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are acting as if individual rights trump the responsibilities of living with other people on a limited planet. As the population grows and grows, we have to think about sharing the resources responsibly, and that includes finite things like fossil fuels, clean air and clean water. The better we can keep air and water clean, the healthier we will all be, including people who think their individual rights always come before the collective rights of the community.

(Message edited by gazhekwe on March 29, 2009)

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 354
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Well Detroit did a piss poor job of getting the word out. I am in Chicago this weekend and you can't walk 10 feet without seeing a sign for Earth Hour."

What are they going to do with all those signs now that it's over?

Bcscott
Username: Bcscott

Post Number: 142
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It's not religion, it's science."

No, Goose was correct it is a religion. If you want to believe in the omnipotent Al Gore who profits from the hysteria he incites and follow sage prophets like Matt Damon and Ed Norton have at it. This argument has been going on for over thirty years whether it's global cooling, global warming, or the all encompasing climate change.

If you want to believe fine, I don't and I'm not going to be dictated to by the media or a bunch jet set celebrities and tree hugging sheepeople with Sierra Club stickers on their SUV's.

And if that makes me a d-bag I'm perfectly content with that.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 5150
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If you want to believe in the omnipotent Al Gore who profits from the hysteria he incites and follow sage prophets like Matt Damon and Ed Norton have at it.

I don't give a rat's ass what any of those people think. People that study climate for a living have credibility though and they say global warming is real.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/ americas/01/19/eco.globalwarmi ngsurvey/index.html

Detmsp
Username: Detmsp

Post Number: 86
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

who cares if carbon emissions are making the earth warmer or not.

isn't the fact that burning coal and oil forces us to breath in filthy, cancer and asthma causing air and drink contaminated water enough to get people behind the green movement?

Roq
Username: Roq

Post Number: 39
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "I don't give a rat's ass what any of those people think. People that study climate for a living have credibility though and they say global warming is real."

Now Pam, don't go clouding the argument with actual facts! ;-)

and Gazhekwe, nicely said.

East_detroit

Post Number: 2087
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One problem is that Al Gore is a Democrat.

So, knee-jerk partisan Republicans automatically dismiss any message he has. Of course, knee-jerk partisan Democrats automatically embrace it, too.

Either way, some people just aren't thinking openly.

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 226
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I turned every light on on purpose. Global warming is not true. The earth has natural cooling and heating periods, just like the Pacific Ocean has a natural north/south flow that brings in warm water to the north. Forget the Prius, the GFL, the energy star crap. Its all a ploy and Americans being the sheep that they are followed suit. I'll keep my gas guzzling V8

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1260
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and you'll pay for it.

whether you believe in global warming or not, purchasing energy efficient cars, appliances, homes, etc is the right choice. It saves you money, the world energy, and certainly is better for the environment than driving your gas guzzler.

East_detroit

Post Number: 2088
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why would someone turn every light on, on purpose?

Goose
Username: Goose

Post Number: 113
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Why would someone turn every light on, on purpose?"

cause he's a member of the d-bag party....

any link to a "scientist" or "climatologist" website that says global warming is real can be rebutted with a similar credentialed "scientist" that says its bunk....

as for the notion of knee-jerk republicans vs. knee-jerk democrats either dismissing or embracing this theory respectively i say this: this "earth day" lights off is pure liberal symbolism over substance, turning off the lights last night did nothing to counter what may or may not be global warming, its purely a "look at me, im a flaming liberal that cares" statement that accomplishes nothing but giving the liberal a sense of doing something.....

signed,

goose - possible d-bag.....

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1263
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lights on here.

The globe is not warming.