Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » East Warren, Balduck Park, Alter park.?? » Archive through March 23, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cynthia_dudal
Username: Cynthia_dudal

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone on here that hung out in the late 70's at balduck park. Angel park.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 831
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 5:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Early seventies for me. Mostly, I would just do drive throughs looking for friends.

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 1516
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hung out there many times in the mid-70's. I used to ride my bike down the hill when I was a wee younger too. There's an old thread about Balduck somewhere around here.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1565
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just "search" Balduck. There are many archives.
Welcome to DY.

Eastsideirish
Username: Eastsideirish

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah. I hung out at Balduck Park and the 7-Eleven store on East Warren and University all the time; you could usually find me any time at one of those two locations.

Angel Park (or "Foot of Alter" as my Dad would call it) was great to go to once we had cars. It was great pulling into the parking lot and seeing all of the other partyers hanging out; seemed like a mix of Detroiters and Grosse Pointers. Good place to play Frisbee (all the cars had at least one frisbee in it).

I wonder if we know each other?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4316
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Balduck Park in the 60s and 70s

Does anyone remember the riot at Balduck Park, July 1972 the Hippies and Detroit Police?

Cynthia_dudal

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 4:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Eastsiderish
Yes, I am very familiar with hitting that 7-11 thru the night, the foot of alter also called angel park, and the parites in the parking lot. You would have seen me walking e. warren or hitch hiking with my mexican cousin from Texas. The warren walkers! lol
We also hung out in balduck parking lot for the parties til the police came and put us out. I attended Finney and Denby. Ok, I may know you.

Cynthia_dudal

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 6:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use to ride my bike down the hill too and sledding in the early 70's..Lived on Ashley.

Maof2

Post Number: 1521
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Cynthia - I lived on Manistique and we would have family picinics at Balduck and Chandler Park. Once when I was riding my bike down the hill, I had earrings on that my mom was given as an infant from her relatives from the old country. Well, I lost one flying down that hill and well, my mom wasn't too happy! I was also playing on the swings at Chandler Park and some guy came up to me and tried to lure me away. That guy took off like a bat outta hell as my father, grandfather and uncles came after him.

Bluenote132003
Username: Bluenote132003

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I was another warren walker (until I got my first wheels)! Lived across from Finney, walked E. Warren to the 7/11, Carom Club, Maple Lanes, E. Warren Lanes, etc..Always carried a radio, ABX, W4. Hung at Balduck, Angel Park, and as we got older the bars up and down E. Warren.

Cynthia_dudal

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TO BLUENOTE Ok, I use to do the carem club and Nick was the owner. I for sure went there during school time when I attended Finney. I do recall a guy who always carried a radio on his shoulder and I dont recall what his name was. I also started in the bars.. East warren disco, The Bedford Inn, Red carpet lounge. Do you recognize my name?

Cynthia_dudal

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Maof2
I made it to your area as well. I hung out on Alter road. Perhaps you know these names? Do you recall a Bill Malone?? The Champaigns brothers?? The Hickersons??
What is your age??
I lived on Haverhill after moving from Ashley which was across the street from balduck park.

Cynthia_dudal

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Maof2
I made it to your area as well. I hung out on Alter road. Perhaps you know these names? Do you recall a Bill Malone?? The Champaigns brothers?? The Hickersons?? Ron Dulworth??
What is your age??
I lived on Haverhill after moving from Ashley which was across the street from balduck park.

Bluenote132003

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cynthia,
Your name doesn't sound familiar, did you know John Scanlon, Greg Meyers, Ron and Dawn(?), Nasser, Mike Purcell??...Spent a lot of time cleaning up after Nick's cats for free pool.

Cynthia_dudal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No the names dont sound familiar. I am 47 how about you??
I am also tired and I must go to bed. I work midnights..LOL. I have to drive down alter or chalmers to get to my job. Brings back ol memories when I go to work everyday.
Yes, work for nick for free pool.

Bluenote132003

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Enjoy your night I'm 45, so we are in a similar time frame...

Maof2

Post Number: 1522
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cynthia, Do I really have to reveal my age? I'll just say around yours. None of the names ring a bell but we moved from there in 1970 but hung around the area for many years after. When I was in high school, a friend of mine and I would drive up and down East Warren in her "boat" for hours at a time. How frickin' boring is that? In the 80's we hung out at Bastia's (sp) bar. Oh Lord, glad those days are over! Only went to the Red Carpet a few times.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 672
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Balduck in the late sixties was interesting. Seemed to be divided into separate "turfs" after dark, with bikers in one area, "hippie" dope smokers in another, Beer drinkers in another. Even had a gay area.
By the early 1970s, the dope smoking longhairs were most numerous. That was the time of congregating young people vs police confrontations at Rouge Park, Balduck, Memorial Park in Royal Oak, etc.
I was getting older, and confrontation did not seem like that much fun to me, so I missed the incidents with the police. Too busy with the real world!

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 166
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maof2, I know we have talked in the past about the eastside, but I was trying to remember the name of that bar you mentioned. Bastia's or Batista..something like that. If I remember, wasn't that at the corner of 3 Mile Drive and E. Warren? If that's the place, one of the many flats I rented on the eastside was behind Rose & Dom's on the alley. I use to walk over there and hear some pretty good blues bands.

Eastsideirish
Username: Eastsideirish

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Servite76, I saw you mentioned Tony Deguanno in an earlier thread. His sister Gina used to babysit us.

Anyone remember the record store next to 7-Eleven at East Warren and University? The wall facing the 7-Eleven parking lot was painted BRIGHT yellow with a baby bird saying "Cheep Records."

Lafontaine
Username: Lafontaine

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cynthia

I lived on Lafontaine (one block away from Ashley), but moved out of Detroit in 1969. My house was directly across the street from Balduck, right off Canyon. I remember the nightly parties very well.

Maof2

Post Number: 1523
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Servite, Yeah, it was on East Warren but not sure if it was Three Mile Dr. but yes always had good bands there. I'll have to ask a friend if it was Three Mile Dr. 'cause now it's going to drive me crazy.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 1010
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Servite- it was Bastilla . Rose used to crack me up. Especially , that hairdo!

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 169
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn421, haha...dyed black hair piled high, ruby red lipstick and chain smoking. Dom was always in the back.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah! And that voice, hi how are you! Memories of the old hood! I sure do miss it

Cynthia_dudal

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lafontaine I lived in the corner house on Ashley. I believe the side street was southhampton. The BIG ALL BRICK 2 story house. I am sure it was in the early 70's. We bought it from the pillions. The folks I knew on your street was Zilinski's, Janic, Peter Karathansis, and then there debbie and diane ?? and they were very southern.

Cynthia_dudal

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont recall the record store but I sure did recall walking up and down e. warren til we got offered a ride and would catch a party. I dont count my age as I am very physically fit and it keeps me feeling young.

Cynthia_dudal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My next set of names are:
The Duggans, The Murrays, Marcin, Casini, Gary Page. I lived on Evanston for a short period of time. Was hitching a ride on outer drive and harper and that is how I met all the above names. My parents owned Maries Club bar on harper and outer drive.

Cynthia_dudal

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Deguanno's.. Gina was in my class at Marquette and we had Mrs. Markey and she was a witch. Last I heard about a year ago about Gina. She is very ill with cancer. I dont think the outcome was promising.

Lafontaine
Username: Lafontaine

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cynthia

Ernie Pillon was one of my friends growing up (we were even born on the same day). I spent lots of time in your house as a kid. You were just around the corner from me, but I moved out before you moved in.