Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Detroit in TIME on line. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

1st_sgt
Username: 1st_sgt

Post Number: 203
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit's decline in time mag on line.
Lots of pictures.

http://www.time.com/time/magaz ine/article/0,9171,1887864,00. html

Hubbardfarmer
Username: Hubbardfarmer

Post Number: 51
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Watch out for those feral pheasants!

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 401
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a good example of why there is no substitute for clarity in writing. Spelling, grammar, word order, and punctuation are all important in conveying what the writer wants to say.

The TIME writer probably did not intend that "feral" modified "pheasants", but the writing is not clear.

And it's odd that pheasants would be mentioned at all. Pheasant habitat includes cites, suburbs, and exurbs, and it is not noteworthy that pheasants live in Detroit.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 2207
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find it pretty damn cool they mention the Georgia Street Community Collective.

Says Covington: "The rest of the world is just catching up to the hard times we've been experiencing." Which is why the world is now watching Detroit with interest--and waiting to see if it finds a way to rise from the ashes.

Fuck a pheasant, Cub made TIME magazine.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 720
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd rather eat a pheasant. They can be delicious when prepared well.
Kudos to the folks at Time On Line for writing about the Collective.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3958
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Django - you do have a way with words!

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 221
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe he meant peasants.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1818
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alfie...I'm going serfing next week...

I love wordplay

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.