Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Garwood Mansion » Archive through March 28, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zapnorm
Username: Zapnorm

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone! I saw a documentary about Detroit yesterday, I was deeply touched by what I saw. I knew that a part of your city was abandoned but never at that level, I'm from Montreal and I never been in Detroit yet but I'd really like to go this summer, there's something about your city that catches my attention, I don't know, the spirit of Motown is probably still around, I think people all over the world are not well informed, It really is a tragedy, apparently it started in the late sixties, up until now things are getting worse all the time. It's a shame that the ones in power aren't doing anything...at least take care of the people that are still living in Detroit, I ran through the entire site of Lowell today, I was pretty much impressed with the architecture of some of your buildings like the Lee Plaza for instance. See you around!

Gashl1
Username: Gashl1

Post Number: 219
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Zapnorm, some real good words. There are a lot of folks on this GarWood thread that are not from detroit or even Mich. But what we all went through, at at a time when music was so important to us and the whole life style that went with it and the friends we made with each other, well, I just don't think it could have happened the way it did, for us, anywhere else but detroit. So come on down and bring a friend. I'll bet you have a good time.

Rockinrona
Username: Rockinrona

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whaler hit it bang on with time capsule, What about everyone bring something for a time capsule and put it in 1kd back yard at Ford Lake? or Gashl you can do the pretend student teacher thing? and our dreams buried and dug up by og kids, and little breeze,and the rest of the kids ya? Joe Ford would have to be in there as well,We all Love him so much, as OK Mike, and the whole gang who has passed,God Bless us all LOL rr

Margie
Username: Margie

Post Number: 442
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rona!!!
That is a great idea!

Isle_of_fun
Username: Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 267
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gleeman .. stated " ..ok...yer ALL right ! its a bod on the couch !
(see what happens in a Collier photo !)"
I Would like to add.. that was the sinking couch, half of that person is in the sink hole.

Stn.. where did you find that horse picture...?

Hey Margie did you read the Detroit News today about that village and 2000 acres for sale?
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20090326/N ATION/903260319/1020/NATION/Li sted+for+rare+sale++$32M+English+village

or..the CNN version http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WO RLD/europe/03/26/uk.village.sa le/
Now thats how to start a commune...... space to roam and still call it home....

yeah to the time capsule

Stnfrnt
Username: Stnfrnt

Post Number: 583
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isle....I got a million of 'em. Love animals. They're honest. Well, Rex the Wonder Dog might have been a little sneaky sometimes. Dubious influences. Here's a couple more I found.

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 584
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bntspr....that bald eagle sequence is inf#@!@#ngcredible. Definitely once in a lifetime thing.

Margie

Post Number: 443
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Morning Lovers of life and all that is right and good, The birds are singing and I can't wait to see you all, I just can't wait!Gash,Gleeman, when I saw you gies at the firefly it was so wonderful yet kind of funny because it had been so long and I just did'nt know what to expect but I must warn you...Stone,Hoover,OG Gash,Gleeman,Rona,Gus,Dave &Roz and of course my Ruthie...when I see you Im gonna wrap my lovin arms around you and hold you tight!

Ruth
Username: Ruth

Post Number: 168
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hello all
I'm Baaaack......
I've been away for a while - off on some family business. did ya miss me?

A reunion update - checks are coming in for the big bash. I'll start mailing tickets around April 15. Be sure to get your ticket (and t-shirt) orders in.

If you haven't received your invitation yet, be sure to let me know. My email is ruthhoff@uiuc.edu.

Margie

Post Number: 444
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Darn it, I knew I should'nt have named names !!! I knew I would forget someone! Im so sorry...Sharon,Isle,Heidi,Neil Skip well lets just put it this way...Im gonna be doin alot of huggin and kissin on the 13-14th

Gashl1
Username: Gashl1

Post Number: 220
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to hear from you Ruth...I was wondering where you had been....glad you're back......Margie,I can't wait either,so if you want to get some practice sessions in let me know, but I think I'd have some competition, so just give me a call when you're ready, I'll be sittin in a corner just pla......well never mind......Mornin all......GDGT

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 572
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Candy_man
Username: Candy_man

Post Number: 196
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hug reQuest for Penny. Snow about stopped, going to plow our way out to play this weekend. Have a good one. Peace.

Ruth

Post Number: 169
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys just have to see this one. Written and performed by Lil'breeze for his cousin, A2dj's daugther Kendra.

It's so inspiring - I just had to share it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =fzssxMrniDA

For everyone on this blog who knows Kendra - please tell her we're dancing along and wishing her well.

Det313grrl

Post Number: 573
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

78 days and counting...

Det313grrl

Post Number: 574
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad you're back, Ruth, thanks for sharing the video.

(Message edited by det313grrl on March 27, 2009)

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1147
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Margie, this old guy (ME) will hold you to your word. I'm expecting a BIIIIGG hug - even if that monster wrestler guy is looking over our shoulders.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got an unexpected and lengthy look at Gleeman's work yesterday at the club where we'll hold our gathering, at his suggestion, the night before the Main Event. WOW! Before I start blabbering on about Gleeman's work, I'll just say that you guys are in for a treat. A real treat! Our group holding forth at this club will be very interesting. I suggested he give us a tour to explain and describe his works and their processes. Believe me, it's wonderful and there's a lot to see.

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 585
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kendra is Pete Steinmetz's daughter (A2dj) and Firstlady's neice.

http://www.caringbridge.org/vi sit/kendrasteinmetz

This site is sooo cool.

Bentspur
Username: Bentspur

Post Number: 129
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where has Hoover been lately? I miss him.
I missed you to Ruth.

Gleeman
Username: Gleeman

Post Number: 121
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Margie, ... I have to keep coming back to those LipS....

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 199
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Almost time for the Frieghters to start running

pics

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1149
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whaler, you can post all of the freighter photos you like. They're part of my DNA. Don't ever forget how closely they skirted the Gar Wood. Thanks.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4332
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoops -

Damn -

O.K.

This plies Ford Lake - 1kiel

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, before they put the mid-section in. It looks like the Stewart Cort after the ends were joined. Actually, it's not the Cort, it's a more recent laker.

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 587
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 3:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay! I knew it would happen! I could see it coming a mile away! Bigb23 just proved it! Cute little animals have a serious underground drug operation going on and just like us humans; greed has set in and there's a major drug war on the horizon. This will traumatize the children to such a degree we'll have to load them up with some powerful psychotropics.

Isle_of_fun
Username: Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 271
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 5:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Morning and hugs to all...........
In the early morning hours I found this
Essay by David McGowen,
much can be said, much can be felt by this,
so I thought I would share this with you. I also started a new thread in Non Detroit for comments.

I'm one of those Americans
http://www.burnmagazine.org/es says/2009/03/david-mcgowan-gar age-sale/

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4343
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't worry, Stnfrnt. we're on top of things.

Bentspur
Username: Bentspur

Post Number: 130
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What the hell is going on?? I just looked out my window an saw a bunch of these in my yard. We are doomed

Ruth

Post Number: 170
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this is one of Hoover's Florida friends