Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Kilpatrick wants a break on restitution » Archive through March 27, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 582
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 6:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Attorney claims ex-mayor only has $6 -- not $6,000 -- left to pay each month.

Doug Guthrie / The Detroit News

http://tinyurl.com/d8p5k7

DETROIT -- Former Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick is asking for a break on court-ordered payments toward $1 million in restitution he must pay the city as part of his sentence for the text message scandal.

Although Kilpatrick is earning a minimum of $10,000 per month in his new job as a salesman in Texas, hefty personal expenses leave just $6 for court-ordered monthly payments of $6,000, according to documents filed this week in Wayne Circuit Court.

That doesn't even touch Kilpatrick's $635,828 in unpaid legal bills, revealed in the new court filing.

Kilpatrick's newest attorney, Michael Alan Schwartz, claims Judge David Groner's mandated payment schedule appears to be designed to cause Kilpatrick to fail in his five-year restitution effort and possibly face sentencing to prison. Although Kilpatrick served 99 days in jail, resigned from office and gave up his law license, his guilty pleas to two counts of obstruction of justice and one count of assault still allow the judge total sentencing latitude of up to five years if he doesn't meet the requirements of his probation.

"The fact the judge is upset Mr. Kilpatrick isn't walking around in sack cloth and ashes isn't what is supposed to happen here," Schwartz said Thursday.

The first comment in the forum says it all

"douchebag!"

Marshall
Username: Marshall

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 7:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$6.00 a month, hmmm. So that debt would be paid off in 166,000 months - give or take? Wish I could do my mortgage that way.

(Message edited by marshall on March 27, 2009)

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 309
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When he wins that lawsuit aganist the text message company he'll have plenty of money available.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 1065
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Screw him! Don't do the crime if you can't pay the fine, and it was his choice to waste major money on attorneys who had no chance of getting him out of trouble, anyway. They should double his fines for being an asshole!

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7973
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Poor baby!

Maybe he might do what many of us have been forced to do.

LIVE WITHIN YOUR MEANS!

Unclefrank
Username: Unclefrank

Post Number: 147
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a tubesteak

Crosswordgirl
Username: Crosswordgirl

Post Number: 502
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh i dunno..........a sack cloth can look stylish if you really try..........

"As its name indicates, it was used for sacks, but was also customarily worn by mourners (in some countries, the ancient custom is still faintly seen today when mourners wear black arm bands at funerals), or as a sign of deep repentance and humility"

repentance and humility huh.....

(Message edited by crosswordgirl on March 27, 2009)

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 288
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He needs to drive a Neon and live in a double wide. His debt to the city should come before anything else...subtract that first and find living arangements that conform to what he has left.
Fat Asshat

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4300
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Throw in a few extra lotto tickets, and there goes the $6.00

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 613
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He could get a real steal right here in town instead of living in the ritzy suburbs of Houston.
He needs to tone down the life style.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 583
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to see KK drive to work in a beater.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2275
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$420 for phone?
$400 for credit card debt??
$900 car lease

Aren't those the things that got him nailed in the first place?

and:

$400 credit card DEBT
$229 student loan?? He still has a student loan?!?
$600 miscellaneous.

Looks like its time for Carlita to get a job. Help him pay some of his bills.

Spartacus
Username: Spartacus

Post Number: 300
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember KK's attorney's argument to the court that he should be allowed to take the job? The gist of it was that KK really wanted to pay back as much as possible and that he had the best chance of paying back his debt by taking the job in Texas.

What a joke.

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 610
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$10,000 - $6,000 = $4000 left per month. I think most of us here could live very comfortably off of that level of income. I have absolute zero sympathy for this gas bag.

His "hefty living expenses" are purely his choice.

Tone it back fatso and pay your debt to the people of Detroit.

I'll repeat, I think most of us here could live very comfortably off of $4000/month.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 527
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with the lifestyle change. Didn't I read somewhere when he took that job that Carlita bought him a $26000 car? If so...why the lease payment? Does he really HAVE to live in a house that costs $3000 a month? He needs to live within his means like the rest of us...or borrow money from his mother...or go back to jail. It's that simple. Why should he get any more special treatment?

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 289
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Navigator cost $35,000.00, a "gift from Carlita". And just where did SHE get the money??? She hasn't done an honest days work in her life....citzens of Detroit would be my guess. They have learned absolutely nothing from all this.....still working the system.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5450
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

garnishee his paycheck - we know where he works

Det_ard
Username: Det_ard

Post Number: 74
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's still trying to scam the system any way he can. The system needs to come down on him HARD.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1988
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

$10,000 - $6,000 = $4000 left per month. I think most of us here could live very comfortably off of that level of income. I have absolute zero sympathy for this gas bag.

His gross earnings (before taxes) are $10,000. He'll have approx. $1,200 withheld for federal income taxes plus another grand or so for FICA and Medicare. I have no idea what the state income tax withholdings are like in Texas.

Still, when one looks at the other expenses that he has, it's clear that there is considerable room for downsizing.

Mr. Kilpatrick graduated from law school. He should have known when he leased that home and such that his court-ordered restitution has to be paid first.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 6187
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

garnishee his paycheck - we know where he works

From what I read, Texas doesn't allow for garnishment:
quote:

44. Texas Wage Garnishment

Wages cannot be attached or garnished, except for child support.

Income that is not a wage can be garnished or ordered turned over to a receiver.

Bank accounts, rents and royalties can be garnished.

Exemptions include social security benefits.

Convenient for Kwame, isn't it?

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4311
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Bank accounts, rents and royalties can be garnished.

So he'll now use off shore bank accounts?
Clever crook.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 6188
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If his money is as tight as he claims, he has little use for a bank account, except checking, and I don't know what the law is for that. He can always pay cash for everything with money orders.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 698
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guarantee you will see Kwame living large when he feels like it, He has always been a slime bag, trys to work the system and get out of things, he has a built in sense of entitlement, no matter what. He agreed to the terms of the settlement and now has to fess up. If he cant then he deserves it.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1727
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His entitlement mentality continues...

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1728
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps the Kilpatricks should look at this place--it's just $1395/mo.

http://www.rentals.com/Home-Re ntals/Display.aspx?ListingNumb er=887849

It appears to be in a suburb. Mind you, it's not THE ritziest suburb.

(Message edited by lodgedodger on March 27, 2009)

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 693
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once again, the children of Detroit are taught by example that one can game the system. No need for honest work. No need to keep one's word. A home that costs $3000 a month, and a $35000 automobile take priority over court ordered payments. One should screw the City and destroy the careers of policemen when it is beneficial to one's lifestyle. No need to keep your wedding vows, women are objects for your taking. If complaints are raised, play the race card.

"Makes you want to holler, throw up both your hands!"

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1870
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then why on earth would you go out and buy a pricey new car and live in a huge house in a tony neighborhood. Tough. Deal.

Dianeinaustin
Username: Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 226
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Texas does not have a state income tax.

Michiman
Username: Michiman

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boo hoo baby...cry me a river. Now pay up.....

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 613
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'd think being closer to the border, the cheaper blow and Mexican prostitutes would bring his cost of living down.