Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Looks as though the Charles Pugh rumors were true « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 384
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://tinyurl.com/cgtd9v

Could be the right time for him--if voters turn against Monica Conyers et al., name recognition could put him on the council. They could do worse, I think.

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 537
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Charles. I think he would be good on city council, but not Mayor as was hinted earlier.

It would be great to see a new council more represented by males like Pugh, Gary Brown, and John Bennett, just to name those who come to mind. That in itself will make a huge difference in the future. I've never liked that it was so imbalanced and full of women. It would also be nice to have some racial diversity there too.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2444
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the citizens of Detroit would settle for council members who are sane, regardless of gender or race.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9142
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm willing to look past his seeming crush on ol' Kwhyme...because from what I have known of the fellow otherwise he would be good for the city.

As long as the McNamara/Cheeks/Kilpatrick business-as-corruptible scourge doesn't infect him, of course!

But you never know, even HE could've been Carmen Slowski...on the darned dowen lowski!

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2077
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck to him.

Wait for the constant barrage of code words for his sexual orientation... as campaigns once more play to the emotions and irrational beliefs of the public.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2555
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

dowen lowski!

Frightening imagery, thanx for ruining a sunny day Gannon...

Pugh's backing of The Felon's criminal enterprise coupled with being feted by The Shrine during the Save Kwame rally puts him in a camp of same-old-stuff. Truely.

Bennett and Gary Brown have nothing in common with Pugh in temperment, record or reputation.

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 540
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I kinda think Pugh got screwed by Kwame (no pun intended) along with several of his early supporters. Seems like he backed down a little in his feverish support as more of the facts came out, then he shut up completely. So I forgave him for being late to vomit back up the Koolaid.

At least that's how I saw his behavior, but he wasn't as active on the channel anymore so perhaps I just saw less of him....

Lo_to_d
Username: Lo_to_d

Post Number: 120
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

God knows we need more intellegent, energetic, ambitious people on council instead of the crew of lazy ass, no ideas for the future, critics we have now. I'll vote for him.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 703
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56: "I think the citizens of Detroit would settle for council members who are sane, regardless of gender or race."
Why, then, have they not voted for sanity?

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1695
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to play the role of devil's advocate here, so stay calm. Let me just say that comments on here sound eerily similar to comments made about Martha Reeves when she first announced that she was running for city council. The question to ask regarding any person running for city council is, "What experience do they have in understanding how city government works?"

Charles Pugh is a TV reporter/personality. What credentials does he have that makes him more qualified than Martha Reeves when she ran for office? Just because he says he cares about Detroit in my opinion is not enough to elect someone to council these days, nor is being a local celebrity. I enjoy Mildred Gaddis and thinks she cares about Detroit, but I wouldn't vote for her if she ran for political office just because she cares.

I have nothing against Charles Pugh, but I would hate to believe that all you need to be elected to public office in Detroit is have a radio talk show or be a reporter for a local news station. Voters have to require a little more than that if they want good leadership.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this was not a rumor...he told me verbatim that his contract was up in March 09 and that he would not renew so that he could run for council.

Ruxy17
Username: Ruxy17

Post Number: 109
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i've known charles personally for a while. he's more than just a tv personality, its just that that's how most people know him. he is extremely well informed about the issues and history of detroit as well as the laws and rules and charters of the city. i think a breath of fresh air really couldn't hurt.

at his fox2 going away party last night he was saying that he had heard through friends that monica and her henchmen were already going through everything he's ever posted on facebook and myspace and pulling out phrases that make reference to the fact that he is gay as well as other bits that could make him look bad in the eyes of the voters. he said something to the effect of "what a whack job. doesn't she understand that this isn't about her? or even me? its about the city and its residents. i'm tired of our council members serving their own needs instead of those of the people."

on a personal level, he is one of the kindest, most empathetic men i've ever met.

Locke09
Username: Locke09

Post Number: 141
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Pugh wasn't a TV/radio personality, would anyone think he was a good council candidate. If so, specifically why. And not just because he is nice and caring. I'm sure Barbara-Rose Collins is nice and caring too.

What is his education, work experience outside of entertainment and community work?
What is his temperament off camera? Will he become the next prima donna?

These are just questions. Not saying I know the answers. But failure to ask these kinds of questions will bring us back here one or two years later asking how Detroiters could have been so stupid to elect ________(fill in the blank).

(Message edited by Locke09 on March 28, 2009)

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 834
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lee Thomas for City Council!

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 288
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WJBK Fox 2 made a tribute montage to him this morning,
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dp p/news/Say_Goodbye_To_Charles_ Pugh

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 781
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since I don't know much about Pugh because he has not officially started campaigning yet, I will stick with what I do know.

From an image standpoint, Pugh would be a HUGE improvement over Conyers/Collins/Reeves. He also appears more considerate and intelligent in presenting his opinion. At this point, I can't say Pugh would be a great councilman, but I can say he couldn't possibly be worse than the three morons I mentioned.

As far as I am concerned, Pugh has one foot in the door. I look forward to learning more about him.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 688
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some posters on another site (Radio and Tv buzzboard)have expressed opinion that Pugh is racist (if true, he'd be right at home with Moncon and the like). Anyone here have a take on that, or is it just a smear

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 813
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder how Pughs' run for city council is going to play out among the black churches in the city. Every candidate for a Detroit office will court the approval of the black church in the city. Historically the black church has been conservative concerning homosexually, basically adopting a don't ask don't tell, head in the sand type of position.

If Mr. Pugh can articulate his positions in such a manner that he seems to be good candidate for the position maybe this will encourage the churches around town to address that issue in a more direct manner.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2169
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hpgrmin I have heard that rumor too.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9144
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hp, it would tie with Gnome's report of an allegiance with the Shrine of the Black Madonna.

That DOES seem to be the hub of the troublesome folks aligned with the black arm of the McNamara corruption ring. ESPECIALLY those who appear quite mainstream on the outside, like our dear Sheriff of Guttingham, Warren Evans...the most famous silent ex-spouse in Detroit political history, his being the most recent head of the Detroit Police, Ella Bully-Cummings, if you missed that memo.

Cheers, this is a great conversation. I would like to know more of this man other than the opinion of two women I trust...since he could most certainly show one facet of his personality to them and hide the rest, if true.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4599
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charles Pugh for Detroit City Council! A new change for Detroit.

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 252
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait a minute. Did hell just freeze over? Danny endorsed someone openly gay?????

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 782
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better than that he said, "new change for Detroit." Maybe that's better than the "old change for Detroit."

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.