Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » Archive through March 25, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 447
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnr, ! was in Pack 420 also. Were you in when Mr. Nolte was Cubmaster - who's den were you in? The name Mark Patton sounds familiar. Carlton Boy Scouts - do you remember a leader with the name Mario Fonte? Think he was there.

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 126
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey there John! Glad you found us, welcome to the party. I'm also on facebook if you have an account there. Take care!

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1420
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnr: Who could forget the "infamous" Pack 420. There were at least 8 dens for cub scouts and a similar amount of troops in boy scouts. Graduated in 67 from SJ. Maybe a few names from your area in the blues section might overlap...The Short(Whitehill), Maciosi (Dutchess), Wrosch (Laing), Swaney (Landsdowne). Yea, dodgeball was always a neat way to finish off a pack meeting in the gym while some were assigned to putting the chairs back under the stage others got to engage in a high sprited game of trying to knock someone's head off or whip the ball at the ankles so as to make it difficult to catch. Did you have the blue and gold banquets at Roma Hall on Gratiot?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1421
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnr: St. Jude also has a website with a facebook account. Many old new and old photos and video. If you're not a member it's easy to join. You can also just view the photos or video without joining.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/ Detroit-MI/St-Jude-Roman-Catho lic-Parish/13026593213

Johnr
Username: Johnr

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool site. I missed out on a good dinner!
I spotted MattK there.
I went to a Blue and Gold banquet but I think it was in the gym.
The fun started went the scouts went camping.
I recall many a summer camp out at D bar A and the Pine River canoe trip was a blast.
I went down my old street the other day and it really doesn't look too bad. In 1979 I moved from Riad to the corner of Moross and Kelly and had the only house that wasn't a duplex. I worked at the Chatham at Morang and Kelly at that time. Any other Chatham people out there?

Tsomyak

Post Number: 127
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I believe that's Matt's brother Mark. I think they look more alike now than they did when they were kids.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 448
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnr, I remember too D bar A and Chas Howell. Both great places. Think there was a Blue and Gold at the gym, but also remember Roma Hall for some too. My first name is Steve. Bob Kocis and Dale Olinzock were in my grade. Mr. Olinzock was an usher. What year did you graduate SJS?

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2789
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Johnr. Didn't work there but most of us know Mr. Shaheen who ran it along with his son Larry who worked there a long time. Also, I believe Joe Fragnoli worked there for a while too. There's a Chatham's alumni web site out there somewhere. JC??

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 732
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome, John. My 1st house after I got married in '66 was at 12444 Riad, next door to the Jarvis family. Al was a classmate of mine at SJS and ND.

As you can see, I'm the old guy on here. Guess those who were at SJS in the 50's are all too old to figure out the internet. Or, they're dead.

Zitro

Post Number: 2790
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found it Johnr.

http://www.connellcreationsunl imited.com/Chatham/

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1422
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnr: You're house must have been right next to the Texaco station alley on Kelly. Those trips to D-Bar A, Camp Howell, or Pine River were a blast weren't they? Mr. Obrien (Whitehill) was the boy scout troop leader on my first canoe trip, Since I was the new kid (not even tenderfoot yet) I was partnered with Mr. O'Brien. I ended up ruining his 8mm movie camera after he specifically told me not to touch a low over hanging branch across the river. I didn't pay attention and thought the brach was way too low and instead of ducking more, my impulse told me to grab the branch to halt the canoe. The canoe, Mr. Obrien, myself, and the camera flipped quickly. At least it was a warm day. But the camera was done (at least temporarily). Lesson learned. Mr. O'Brien was indeed very kind and patient.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1423
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburn: Glad you figured out the internet instead of the other option you stated.

Eastburn

Post Number: 733
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, but who knows how much longer I've got? Still don't have you youngsters whipped into shape, either.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1424
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburn: I'd rather not dwell on your mortality. We're all expecting a couple more decades of sage anecdotes and humorous stories.

Eastburn

Post Number: 734
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, KR. I'll see what I can do, God willing.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 6167
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or as my dad used to say 'God willing and the creek don't rise"

Welcome, JohnR, hope you find the friend you're looking for.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1884
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Thanks, Larry, and good afternoon everyone, and welcome to Tiger baseball". - George Kell ... MGRHDS.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1425
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The consumate professional on the field, at bat, and in the broadcast booth.....and always a gentlemen.

Mkap
Username: Mkap

Post Number: 97
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome JR! Hope you catch up with some of the old SJ memories.

Hey! Class of 70', I ran into one of the twins at the Eagles concert at the Palace Saturday. I still can't tell those two apart unless they are standing right in front of me.
The concert was great. Hit after hit after hit. The music and the odoriferous vapors circulating in the concert hall brought back many memories. Had a good time.

Zitro

Post Number: 2791
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe it was the hit after hit after hit that was causing the odiferous vapors!

Jcole

Post Number: 6169
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MK, it was Mary. She took her God-daughter to see the show. Glad it was fun. Did you get a contact high from the odiferous vapors, dude?

Mkap

Post Number: 98
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z - Still the funny one I see! I never thought of it like that. Those hits were coming from the row above us.

JC - Wrong again!, I could have sworn it was Betty. I can't pick the winner of a two horse race.
No, chicky baby, no contact buzzz! Actually, it did not smell all that good (at least from what I remember). Must have been imported from China or some other third world country. Not good!

How's your Sis?

(Message edited by mkap on March 25, 2009)

Jcole

Post Number: 6170
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's home and doing better. Still on the meds for the arteries in her brain, and having some weird aches and pains, which they tell her is from them poking around in her brain. Yippee!!
But better, that's the key.
Thanks for asking.

Mkap

Post Number: 99
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to hear it.

Johnr
Username: Johnr

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing: My sister married Mike Kocis and my cousin married Bob Kocis. Thanks for the link to the Chatham people, I did attend two reunions the last two years over at a park in Warren.
The name Joe Fragnoli brings back memories, that dude was a trip.
Hampster: Yeah, those brothers look alike! Let me know next time you're coming in to town.
Kellyrd: You ID'd my house on Kelly. I bought when I got married in '79; paid like $14,500 for it. The neighborhood got rough quick. Break-ins were an epidemic. I was burgled once but what made me move was when they stole from my garage my original '74 Kawasaki H-1 Triple.
I moved to 9 & Mack in SCS, I'm still there, and I work at Gratiot & Mack.
Eastburn: Jarvis, forgot his first name,
had a Schwinn Krate that was the envy of 'hood.
I hung with R.Trombley & J.Dekemp down at your end of the street. The Dekemps were a very cool family: his older brothers had a minibike and an actual garage band.

All:Another call out to see if any one has info on Steve Rudeen...SJ '72, State Fair & Crusade.

John R
St Jude '72
DeLaSalle '76
Krate

Zitro

Post Number: 2792
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kool bike Johnr I had one like that for about 2 months until I forgot to lock it up one night and as Ernie Harwell used to say it was "Looooong Gone".

Many of us graduated with your sister Janet.

Tsomyak

Post Number: 128
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, anyone here have any comments on the Tigers scheduling their home opener at 1:05pm on Good Friday? Sure seems like bad karma to me. I betcha Tom M would never had stood for it!

Zitro

Post Number: 2793
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's an old baseballl adage the Milwaukee Braves fans used to have: "Spahn and Sain and pray for rain." The Tigers might want to pray for the latter.

Jcole

Post Number: 6171
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JohnR, how is Janet doing? Tell her Regina Cole says HI. I wonder if she'll remember me?

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1885
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wasn't going to go to opening day on Good Friday ... not during the holy hours, anyway ... 4:30 PM start, and I'm there.