Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » PHOTOS: Guardian Building 80th Anniversary Party « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sg_creative
Username: Sg_creative

Post Number: 103
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW! Totally packed and filled with energy and excitement. Not a bad vibe for my favorite building in the city. Check out some photos.

DETROIT STOCK PHOTOS:
http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/d etroitstockphotos/gallery-show /G00005YLlp4Shkc8/

Dorothyd
Username: Dorothyd

Post Number: 69
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, Sg. I was in attendance and it was great to see so many people there.

Lnfant
Username: Lnfant

Post Number: 194
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's wonderful to see the inside of that beautiful building again. thanks for posting them.

Sg_creative

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes indeed, it was a very fun night. My only question is.... who can we talk to about getting those fantastic search lights back up on top... like the 1940's. That would be great!

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2242
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also was in attendance, and had a great time. Saw many friends, including a few Forumers (you know who you are!). Bought a couple books, and enjoyed chatting with the authors. Enjoyed the food, although it was nearly gone by the time I got to the table. Loved the views from the 32rd floor reception area!!! The only thing missing was a Guardian Building Birthday Cake!!!!

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1800
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the photos. I worked many years in that great building, and I think I recognize a couple of folks I worked with in the audience.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1536
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I am still having trouble believing that my law firm offices on the 32nd floor are now the auditorium! About 20 years at that location before Michigan Consolidated Gas Company booted us out to take over most of the building for its own employees.
What a view we had. It's a wonder we got any work done. Great memories, however.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 696
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They don't build 'em like that anymore.

Sg_creative

Post Number: 105
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They sure don't. I'd put that building up against any building, in any city I've been to.

Foodandwine
Username: Foodandwine

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too was at the Guardian Building celebration. It would have been nice if there was more room. It was packed! The sound on 32 was horrible you could hardly hear the speakers. The Guardian is majestic. We do have some gems in this town. Fisher Building, Penobscot, Buhl, Masonic Temple, and the D.A.C come to mind.

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 213
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone see Steven Spielberg there?

Sg_creative

Post Number: 106
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope. Didn't see or hear anything about that.

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 214
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neither did I. Also, neither did Jim Tottis, until after the fact. A staff member of the Guardian Building informed me about it, said that he went completely unnoticed the whole of the evening.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2250
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what would be the reason for Spielberg to be at this event? or in Detroit? No mention of him being in Detroit anywhere in the media. If it were him, I can't believe that he could go unnoticed.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6280
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't make it to the party, but I did take an out of town visitor there this evening.

I noticed a flat screen monitor set up on the lobby wall, and when you press a button, you get a 10 minute narrative of the Guardian Building's history... nice touch!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.