Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Garwood Mansion » Archive through March 25, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1133
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The former location of Mr. Floods and Leopold Bloom's.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1134
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's still Seva.

Stnfrnt
Username: Stnfrnt

Post Number: 574
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1klsn...can't say I was all that familiar with the places being mentioned here, but the overall scene is foreign to me. Don't recognize anything. Great pics, though.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THEE one and THEE only, THEE former and present - Fleetwood!

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1136
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditto.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1137
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And my present favorite - The Jerusalen Gardens. Great food, cheap prices. A difficult find in present day A2.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1138
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Stone, a lot of years have passed. There are times when I'm around A2 and I look around and think it's not very familiar to me. Time and perspectives have changed. You haven't been here for years so it's not surprising it's unfamiliar to you. As much as it's changed, I think you'll get the feel for it when you arrive.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1139
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, my photo and post #1128 is Mr. Flood's Party and Leopold Blooms from about 25 years ago. Compare it to my photo and post #1133 from today.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1141
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please watch PBS' Frontline documentary, Ten Trillion and Counting. You won't regret it.

Candy_man
Username: Candy_man

Post Number: 194
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I remember Fergy, Stoney and Charley to be best of friends.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 1010
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad I only have an hour left on the computer. I envy all of you who had the chance to even step foot in the GarWood. I have to make this a daily habit to read this thread.Not only do I learn about the past I get to see places I have been to in A2 which have changed.Like the Pretzel Bell. Thanks to all.

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 575
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 2:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 576
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 2:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lived in boathouse

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 577
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 3:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On John Colliers blog there's a great shot of Victor kickin it on a couch. Is there someone crashed out on the couch in the background?

Margie
Username: Margie

Post Number: 436
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mornin lovers of life and artistic expression

Detroitgirl80
Username: Detroitgirl80

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good morning Margie!

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 598
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stnfrnt, It looks like someone on that couch but I don't think it is. A bit to small. Probably the remnants of someone that slept there. Boy, that couch that Victor's sitting on. Under the right hand cushion was a great spot to store goodies during parties. That's where I pulled the bottle of wine from the morning after the last big party. There's something about that photo that just pulls me back through time and into the ballroom.

I don't know if it's the same couch, but I remember sitting right there on a couch smoking doobies with the guy from the Fisher mansion, his bodyguards and an FBI agent. That was the night the guy got the munchies, gave Fergie a $100 bill and he went out and bought a $100 worth of McBurgers. The guy had never had one before, was high and loved them.

Gashl1
Username: Gashl1

Post Number: 212
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mornin one and all.....A busy last day or two here in the south....spent the last couple days mowing and getting the garden ready for planting.... rain today and for most of the rest of the week....and realized that we are at..... 80 DAYS and counting.....

Gashl1

Post Number: 213
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way .... there is some one laying on the couch in back of Vic.....Did you know that if you go to John' blog and click on the photo the it blows up with amazing clarity....a tribute to the quality work the John Collier does....check it out....Someone might want to check her pulse tho....she looks mighty still

Gleeman
Username: Gleeman

Post Number: 116
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no, there is no one on the couch behind Vic, just a 2 blankets on 2 couches and Stn's sprinkler... my guess..

does anyone know how to complete the "post comments" section on John's blog ? it asks for a "profile" when making a comment... ?

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 567
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That blog is a beauty, isn't it. Thanks again, John, great stuff!
Gash you're right about someone asleep on that sofa.
I really wish we could enlarge that last shot of the ballroom, the one where people are hanging out of the master bedroom windows.
Stnfrnt, isn't Peatie wearing your hat in that one pic of her by the pool table?

Old_guy

Post Number: 599
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know Gash. I was looking at the large version of the photo. If that is a person, they're a wee bit small. In fact their head is about the same size as a schnauzers. Their body must have wilted over night too. I think, blanket and small pillow that looks like a face. The couch in back on the right has a really skinny person on it. I can almost see Neil sticking his head out of the organ pipe curtains and smiling.

Gash, just my opinion. Who knows?

Det313grrl

Post Number: 568
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.collierpics.blogspot.com

Det313grrl

Post Number: 569
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old_guy, if you "save" the enlarged version and then zoom in, sure looks like a small blond girl to me.

Old_guy

Post Number: 600
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True, I cropped that area and blew it up, but... The only thing I can think of is that maybe it was one of, well, I don't want to start this all over again, but maybe that one guy that lived there's overnight guests. You know ,somebody that didn't want the free fly swatter. A wee youngin'.

Gleeman
Username: Gleeman

Post Number: 117
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found out that the photo I used of the mansion to paint the Gar Wood piece (for the invitation) was in deed from J Collier..so my apology to him for not putting the Collierian name at the bottom right...(I had put Oklahoma's initials as I thought thats who shot the photo, but, will leave it there anyway)...

Gashl1

Post Number: 214
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out other thread...Uriel Jones passes....another Detroit Musician playing in the "Big Band"

Old_guy

Post Number: 601
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

g.gif

Maybe, just maybe you're right.

Gashl1

Post Number: 215
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gleeman...I'm having the same problem posting comments....I'm not at all surprised that I'm having a problem....I'd just like to tell John Collier "thanks for sharing his exceptional talent with us and that I'm looking forward to seeing (note correkt spelin) more pics an seeing him at the reunion......the chick might be Peatie....who ever was looking for her....there she is.....might want to check her pulse...looks kinda still........

Gashl1

Post Number: 216
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OG....what ya mean 'maybe'....if that aint a person laying there, then we got a head laying there.....no one liners either STLRKN!!!!!!!